RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Mega Man 9 on WiiWare. You are all in for a shock.

Started by Alt-Nintega, 06/28/2008, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alt-Nintega

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuNDL8t29k

For all of us who grew up playing the side scrolling Megaman games, this is kickass. BUT............

I think Capcom went batshit insane. Do they really think most of today's gamers will give a new Megaman game with NES-style graphics a chance? Especially when there are tons of NES Megaman rom hacks with different level designs and graphics all over the net. Hell Megaman now is as niche as Romance of the Three Kingdoms compared to the "gangsta", pre-k games, and the shit load of FPSs and MMOs everyone is now into. WiiWare or not, Capcom isn't going to make anything off of that. This could be the last Capcom game we'll ever see....

nectarsis

Yep..one Wiiware game will break a multi billion dollar company
Quote from: Nintega on 06/28/2008, 09:07 AMhttp://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuNDL8t29k

For all of us who grew up playing the side scrolling Megaman games, this is kickass. BUT............

I think Capcom went batshit insane. Do they really think most of today's gamers will give a new Megaman game with NES-style graphics a chance? Especially when there are tons of NES Megaman rom hacks with different level designs and graphics all over the net. Hell Megaman now is as niche as Romance of the Three Kingdoms compared to the "gangsta", pre-k games, and the shit load of FPSs and MMOs everyone is now into. WiiWare or not, Capcom isn't going to make anything off of that. This could be the last Capcom game we'll ever see....
Yep, one Wiiware game will kill a multi billion dollar company  :roll:  Megamna as niche?? I have seen nothing but positive comments for the most part about this idea/game.  Why is it that peps have been doing so much bashing of the modern consoles ( ironic for someone who just the other day denied making the pre K, and gangsta game comments REPEATEDLY), yet when a company tries a retro angle on a well liked series they bash that ALSO???  I personaly am glad to see Capcom try this route, especially in a way that is much more dev. friendly ( at least $ wise).
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Nintega on 06/28/2008, 09:07 AMhttp://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuNDL8t29k

Don't forget that there were a number of older gamers whom had bought the Mega Man Anniversary Collection (for the GameCube, PlayStation 2, and/or Xbox) to relive their old memories of playing these titles (among other reasons such as that their copies of the actual game(s) are unable to work, they wanted to complete their stash of them the easy way, etc.). A few younger ones, I can bet, too, have been able to explore (and even enjoy) the series by this mean (like me :wink:).

The rom hacks might actually show a greal deal of interest in the series in general, since the bits never really change too much from the original (if they can, that is :-k).

Capcom's not likely to stop making games or go out of business because of the release of one title that would do poorly, if that's what you're suggesting. Keep in mind that they have the Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Phoenix Wright series running pretty strongly right now, and Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix are in the workings currently. A lot of folks have been anticipation a Mega Man 9 for a while now, and I think it'll definitely sell well once it's released.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

CrackTiger

I couldn't reply to this earlier, but since it does appear to be what it looks like...

Are you suggesting that one game could single handedly destroy one of the biggest publishers around? Even though its one of the biggest series around, developed on the cheapest budget ever, releasing on the biggest console and sold for the cheapest price possible?

And even if this bombs, how can Capcom not make any money off of this? Its seems like a no-lose situation to me.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

Hahaha, the last Capcom game we'll ever see. That's awesome.

Lochlan

Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/28/2008, 02:52 PMAnd even if this bombs, how can Capcom not make any money off of this?
Agreed 100%.  Development costs will be extremely low because of the sheer number of recycled resources, and publishing costs will be near zero because of digital distribution -- so no matter the outcome, Capcom is likely to make good money on this.

(And Nintega: your comparison between Mega Man and Romance of the 3 Kingdoms is absolutely ludicrous.  The average gamer is in their thirties and almost certainly remembers at least one Mega Man game, particularly since the series  has appeared on nearly every platform released since the Famicom/NES.)
Quote from: ridgewood_general_store_1 on 08/15/2014, 11:12 AMI'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ninja Spirit

I got something that'll keep y'all busy until that comes out

8-bit Rockman 7. I just got done beating this.
http://files.filefront.com/8+bit+Rockman+7/;10628793;/fileinfo.html

You better be good on a keyboard...

NecroPhile

That's hilarious - Capcom's existence hinges on the success of a game that cost pennies to develop (compared to their multi-million dollar productions).  That's like me losing my five dollar buy-in at a penny ante poker game; oh noes, now I'm bankrupt and living in a van down by the river.  :roll:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

Capcom's greedy brilliance never fails to amaze me, assuming this game will follow in the vein of the other NES Mega Man sequels by reusing resources.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 06/29/2008, 01:52 AMCapcom's greedy brilliance never fails to amaze me, assuming this game will follow in the vein of the other NES Mega Man sequels by reusing resources.
I had thought that even you could appreciate this Keranu. :( Its the same as Hudson giving us Neutopia III in PCE aesthetics.

I'm assuming that this is going to basically be made as more or less an actual Famicom game and the only reason its going straight to WiiWare (aside from getting to sell it for a few dollars more and stand out more) is so that it can support the kinds of special features that people have been demanding from Virtual Console.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

I don't know how any oldschool gamer can see this as a bad thing.  :-k

CrackTiger

Quote from: guyjin on 06/29/2008, 07:23 PMI don't know how any oldschool gamer can see this as a bad thing.  :-k
Keranu doesn't like how far Capcom stretched the Megaman series. But even if you're not into Megaman, the idea of official sequels running off of classic hardware is awesome.

Joe Redifer

I'm under the impression that they won't be coding this with actual NES-style dev kits.  I think the graphics are just in the same style.  In other words, don't be surprised if certain graphics start scaling, rotating warping or whathaveyou.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2008, 01:01 AMI'm under the impression that they won't be coding this with actual NES-style dev kits.  I think the graphics are just in the same style.  In other words, don't be surprised if certain graphics start scaling, rotating warping or whathaveyou.
Which is what I'd like to see, the original graphics, but, with benefits!  At the very least, no flicker or slowdown!
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/29/2008, 01:01 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 06/29/2008, 01:52 AMCapcom's greedy brilliance never fails to amaze me, assuming this game will follow in the vein of the other NES Mega Man sequels by reusing resources.
I had thought that even you could appreciate this Keranu. :( Its the same as Hudson giving us Neutopia III in PCE aesthetics.
In another thread, I did give appreciation to the idea of using NES graphics. However coming from Capcom's history and very little details about the game so far, it's hard to say if this is going to be a cool, well made sequel or if it's just going to be another Mega Man rehash, so I'm skeptical. On the other hand, with this game being in the official, original series, maybe they will put a lot of dedication into it, but I would think that they would release it on a physical format if that was the case. I'm also curious as to how much they will charge for this game; I'm placing bets on no less than 1,000 Wii Points. Even not being a Mega Man fan, I am very interested in this game for the fact that they are going for 8-bit graphics (and I hope 8-bit linear gameplay too!).
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 06/30/2008, 01:43 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2008, 01:01 AMI'm under the impression that they won't be coding this with actual NES-style dev kits.  I think the graphics are just in the same style.  In other words, don't be surprised if certain graphics start scaling, rotating warping or whathaveyou.
Which is what I'd like to see, the original graphics, but, with benefits!  At the very least, no flicker or slowdown!
Exactly. I'd love a game to stick to 8-bit conventions... but then throw in some non-8-bit craziness every now and then that. For example, I think it would be great if they had NES PSG tunes as well as unlockable, remixed versions of the same songs.

Keranu

Oh shoot, I didn't even think about the music. Hopefully they will limit themselves to NES sound quality too.
IMG

CosMind

Quote from: Keranu on 06/30/2008, 07:02 AM...it's hard to say if this is going to be a cool, well made sequel or if it's just going to be another Mega Man rehash, so I'm skeptical. On the other hand, with this game being in the official, original series, maybe they will put a lot of dedication into it, but I would think that they would release it on a physical format if that was the case...
one thing to be aware of is the fact that this is being developed by inticreates - the developers behind the mega man/rockman zero series.  consider this a huge positive and a huge promise of quality game design.  inticreates is the first and only dever to helm the series and apply quality game design and level design (and i'm even including the original team(s) in that lump).

i'm stoked :)

VestCunt

Soooo....how many megabits do you think this game will be?  Let's see, Megaman 6 was a 4meg cart...

Topic Adjourned.

NecroPhile

Quote from: VestCunt on 06/30/2008, 04:36 PMSoooo....how many megabits do you think this game will be?  Let's see, Megaman 6 was a 4meg cart...
Eleventyfour.  :P

nat

I'll go out and kick someone's ass if Megaman 9 has slowdown or flicker.

CrackTiger

I really don't think that the game will (or should) surpass NES graphic limits, other than maybe being free of slowdown/flicker and perhaps pushing extra sprites. I also think that it must have NES music as at least an optional soundtrack, if not the main one.

Its also coming to PS3 and 360, so I'll at least test out the 360 demo first.

JoshTurboTrollX

I like the idea.  Who cares about Megabits!!  How many Wii Blocks will this take up?  I'm running seriously low!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Keranu

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/30/2008, 09:38 PMI like the idea.  Who cares about Megabits!!  How many Wii Blocks will this take up?  I'm running seriously low!!
Get rid of Pokemon Ranch!
IMG

Joe Redifer

Latest news:

Source

The game will have 8-bit style graphics and music (in mono) complete with flickering and slowdown until you make it through a few levels and to a certain point when all of a sudden a huge, high-res boss comes slamming down.  It shakes the screen so hard that the music in sound are now CD quality, in stereo, the flicker is gone and the slowdown is eliminated as well.  But you're still 8-bit.  The boss also has a few polygons.  After you beat this boss you get the higher-bit weapon or whatever it will be called which, when equipped, turns you into a higher-res Mega Man as well as the stages themselves.  This allows you to see much more detail in stages you've already beaten so you can find those hidden power-ups as well as achievements/trophies to enlarge your online e-dick!!!!!!!!!!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Keranu on 06/30/2008, 10:09 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 06/30/2008, 09:38 PMI like the idea.  Who cares about Megabits!!  How many Wii Blocks will this take up?  I'm running seriously low!!
Get rid of Pokemon Ranch!
Oooooh Bitch!   That hurt!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2008, 10:45 PMLatest news:

Source

The game will have 8-bit style graphics and music (in mono) complete with flickering and slowdown until you make it through a few levels and to a certain point when all of a sudden a huge, high-res boss comes slamming down.  It shakes the screen so hard that the music in sound are now CD quality, in stereo, the flicker is gone and the slowdown is eliminated as well.  But you're still 8-bit.  The boss also has a few polygons.  After you beat this boss you get the higher-bit weapon or whatever it will be called which, when equipped, turns you into a higher-res Mega Man as well as the stages themselves.  This allows you to see much more detail in stages you've already beaten so you can find those hidden power-ups as well as achievements/trophies to enlarge your online e-dick!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2008, 10:45 PMLatest news:

Source

That actually sounds a lot like I WANNA BE THE GUY!

nectarsis

http://kotaku.com/397414/mega-man-9-coming-for-xbla-psn-as-well

Looks like it may be coming to the Playstation Network & Xbox Live= even MORE money for Capcom.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Keranu

Turns out that was a false rumor (so far) according to the update here. "Update: Capcom pinged us to let us know that the game is currently slated "for WiiWare only" and that the information indicating otherwise in the E3 roster was a mistake on its part."

I don't really have a problem with games that decide to go multiplatform though. If they do however, I prefer for each version to have something unique to it to make it worth getting.
IMG

Joe Redifer

CrackTiger

Quote from: nectarsis on 07/01/2008, 11:28 PMhttp://kotaku.com/397414/mega-man-9-coming-for-xbla-psn-as-well

Looks like it may be coming to the Playstation Network & Xbox Live= even MORE money for Capcom.
I actually mentioned this a few posts up but Capcom has already changed their mind.

CrackTiger

Here's the official reveal with tons of screenshots and the names of the bosses including a woman-

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/mega-man-9-wiiware/preview/mega-man-9-exclusive-reveal/a-20080702154756565049/g-20080626165055938021

One of the cool features is the option to play as Megaman without his helmet. It also has the shop feature from later non-NES Megaman games.

So far its using Megaman 2 music. I'm guessing its just a placeholder and was chosen because the original music will also be based on NES technology.

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/03/2008, 08:50 PMHere's the official reveal with tons of screenshots and the names of the bosses including a woman-

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/mega-man-9-wiiware/preview/mega-man-9-exclusive-reveal/a-20080702154756565049/g-20080626165055938021

One of the cool features is the option to play as Megaman without his helmet. It also has the shop feature from later non-NES Megaman games.

So far its using Megaman 2 music. I'm guessing its just a placeholder and was chosen because the original music will also be based on NES technology.
There's a problem with the link above, however, Black Tiger (at least for me). The page is unable to be found.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Turbo D

thats strange, the link is working for me  :-k
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

The link wasn't working for me earlier, either. Now it is.

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: turbo D on 07/03/2008, 11:10 PMthats strange, the link is working for me  :-k
Quote from: nat on 07/03/2008, 11:42 PMThe link wasn't working for me earlier, either. Now it is.
Yes. I've been able to see the content, now, too. It does look exciting indeed :). If it is as hard as it's stated, then I may have a bit of a challange for myself :P. I'm not too fond of there being a woman robot master, really, since it doesn't seem to "fit" or "be right" for the Mega Man series (although I realize it is a unique idea for the game). The shop feature may appeal or not. It's good to see that it's coming out this fall.

Turbo D

I had no idea that the megaman robots had genitalia  :o I would not like to see any 8-bit robot action either  :lol:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

What about Air Zonk? does he have the twig and berries?  :-k

Turbo D

Hmmmm  :? I never really thought about it  :-k But since he is my alter ego, yes he does! He has an extendable, gyrating one complete with lobster!
IMG IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Transformers & Gobots have male & female, but no special parts.
IMG

Turbo D

I remember in highschool there was a rumor that this on dude liked to watch gundam hentai. lol, I didn't know such stuff existed  :lol:
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 07/07/2008, 12:23 AMTransformers & Gobots have male & female, but no special parts.
Oh, don't they?

IMG

(bow chicka wow wow)  :twisted:

Joe Redifer

Nobody likes Go-Bots.  Please do not mention them again.

CrackTiger

Here's some footage of the game in action with NES music. I'm not familar enough with all the 8-bit games to say whether or not the music is new, but it does look fairly certain now that the game is going to be fully NES-like without any kind of noticible upgrades.

Joe Redifer

They should also release a real NES version for $20 or something.  I'd rather spend $20 on a real NES game than $10 on a Wiiware game.  I demand that everyone agree with me on this.

CrackTiger

I'd pay $50 for a real NES cart if the game is new/original. Even if it has some recycled content like Megaman. But I'd also expect some professional packaging. If NES or Famicom carts make a comeback, I'd hope they'd adopt a new standard of clamshells similar to SMS/Genesis games.

Turbo D

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/07/2008, 05:27 AMThey should also release a real NES version for $20 or something.  I'd rather spend $20 on a real NES game than $10 on a Wiiware game.  I demand that everyone agree with me on this.
Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/07/2008, 05:43 AMI'd pay $50 for a real NES cart if the game is new/original. Even if it has some recycled content like Megaman. But I'd also expect some professional packaging. If NES or Famicom carts make a comeback, I'd hope they'd adopt a new standard of clamshells similar to SMS/Genesis games.
Turbo D agrees with you both  8) I would definitely buy it. Now I'm going to be fantasizing about the thought!
IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/07/2008, 04:51 AMHere's some footage of the game in action with NES music. I'm not familar enough with all the 8-bit games to say whether or not the music is new, but it does look fairly certain now that the game is going to be fully NES-like without any kind of noticible upgrades.
Boo-urns.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/07/2008, 05:27 AMThey should also release a real NES version for $20 or something.  I'd rather spend $20 on a real NES game than $10 on a Wiiware game.  I demand that everyone agree with me on this.
Good plan, though they'd probably have to go a bit higher than $20 to be worth their while.