@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

That movie you just watched

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/09/2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic_wheat

Post what every movie you recently watched or in the proses of watching and state your thoughts. 

I'll kick things off...I just started watching "The Grand Budapest Hotel". I expect great things as from the trailer it reminded me of the whimsy of "life aquatic with steve zissou"

Tatsujin

my name is nobody
marathon man
the women in red
 :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/09/2014, 08:04 PMmy name is nobody
marathon man
the women in red
[/quote

Never heard of my name is nobody...  What were you thoughts?  Recommend a rental, or to buy it

PunkCryborg

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/09/2014, 08:09 PMNever heard of my name is nobody...  What were you thoughts?  Recommend a rental, or to buy it
VHS rental.
Make sure you rewind it too before you return it

Tatsujin

"my name is noboby" is a typical and funny italo (spaghetti) western with legend terrence hill, also starring henry fonda and few other guys.
I know that these kind of movies were or still are much more popular in european fields than in the USoA.

btw. some scenes were directed by sergio leone and music is by legend ennio morricone.

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Medic_wheat

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 06/09/2014, 08:22 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/09/2014, 08:09 PMNever heard of my name is nobody...  What were you thoughts?  Recommend a rental, or to buy it
VHS rental.
Make sure you rewind it too before you return it
I am still working on rewinding my DVDs I rent from red box

munchiaz

Maleficent. Good retelling of sleepy beauty

HailingTheThings

Just watched "The Wolverine." Put it off for a while because it looked bad. It was, but not as bad as it initially looked. Yay. Next, probably X-Men: First Class...because I was told to watch that before going to see Days of Future Past.
IMG

roflmao

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/10/2014, 12:50 AMJust watched "The Wolverine." Put it off for a while because it looked bad. It was, but not as bad as it initially looked. Yay. Next, probably X-Men: First Class...because I was told to watch that before going to see Days of Future Past.
I loved X-Men:First Class, so hopefully you won't be disappointed.

I just finished watching the latest Hobbit movie. It made me sad.  I'll watch the last one when it comes out on DVD, but I can't believe how badly they've botched it so far.  The Hobbit trilogy is turning into the second Star Wars trilogy in my eyes. I had high hopes because I *loved* the book and hoped to experience it with my son at some point, but with all the be-headings and other gore (that wasn't in the original book) it's a lost cause. And that white-water river scene.  Wtf. So not-good.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: munchiaz on 06/09/2014, 08:51 PMMaleficent. Good retelling of sleepy beauty
I thought the opposite unfortunately.... :(

Love on Delivery (1994- Stephen Chow)  (Click up to about 2:00 seconds into the clip is crazy funny)
I've been on a Stephen Chow kick lately, and this one might actually be the funniest.  :)
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/10/2014, 01:32 AM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/10/2014, 12:50 AMJust watched "The Wolverine." Put it off for a while because it looked bad. It was, but not as bad as it initially looked. Yay. Next, probably X-Men: First Class...because I was told to watch that before going to see Days of Future Past.
I loved X-Men:First Class, so hopefully you won't be disappointed.

I just finished watching the latest Hobbit movie. It made me sad.  I'll watch the last one when it comes out on DVD, but I can't believe how badly they've botched it so far.  The Hobbit trilogy is turning into the second Star Wars trilogy in my eyes. I had high hopes because I *loved* the book and hoped to experience it with my son at some point, but with all the be-headings and other gore (that wasn't in the original book) it's a lost cause. And that white-water river scene.  Wtf. So not-good.
I'll be honest I have not read the Hobbit since highschool, and I would say only the broad strokes are what I remember.  Heck I think much of it is mixed with the 80's animated movie that until the recent live action Peter Jackson movies was the pinical of Hobbit movies Lord or otherwise.

and as a whole despite the inclusion of characters from Lords of the Rings to make this a more movie going universaly loved series I liked it.....

The BEST part was the revile of the dragon and pretty much any line he spoke.

Tatsujin

"Nobody's the Greatest" aka in the USoA "A Genius, Two Friends, and an Idiot" ^^

NecroPhile

I recently watched Love Affair.  Xele made me do it.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

"American Friend" I have it on VHS. I'm not sure if it has different titles internationally. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

Best movie I've ever saw! The Wages of Fear.

IMG
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Elder

I checked out Ricky 1 yesterday, wow about sums up that movie.  I've seen some crappy movies in my time, but I honestly thing this could be on the top three worst movies I've ever seen.  If I hear "don't be negative" one more time...ahh! :-&

Ratix

conan the barbarian. its the original version not the remake
IMG

tggodfrey

X-Men days of futures past.  Absolutely loved it.  Very well done and great storyline.

Hunger Games Catching Fire.  I enjoyed this one too.  Really didnt think I would get into this searies but I have.  Ending I was not happy with, I hate cliffhangers.

Neighbors......This one is def one of my favorites this summer.  This movie is full of things anyoen can relate to growing up or getting even with someone.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

HailingTheThings

Quote from: tggodfrey on 06/17/2014, 04:05 PMHunger Games Catching Fire.  I enjoyed this one too.  Really didnt think I would get into this searies but I have.
Alot of people write this series off as some Twilight-ish Battle Royale rip off, but once you take the time its easy to see that it's much more.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/17/2014, 03:06 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/11/2014, 06:12 PM"American Friend" I have it on VHS. I'm not sure if it has different titles internationally. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would.
Isn't that the Mypotian movie adaptation of Perfect Strangers?
Ha!

I watched this just for Bruno Gans (I think that is his name). I liked him in another film or two and wanted to see him in something else. Jeez, I can't believe my memory is so poor. Need more coffee.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2014, 07:38 PMBest movie I've ever saw! The Wages of Fear.

IMG
cool didnt know about the original. only knew the '77 remake with roy scheider, which is also one of my fav movies back from my childhood. and a very good movie as well :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/

have to watch the original now^^

Tatsujin

Quote from: Ratix on 06/11/2014, 08:15 PMconan the barbarian. its the original version not the remake
houly shiet?! i just re-watched that too few days ago :shock:

Tatsujin

Quote from: esteban on 06/17/2014, 05:32 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/11/2014, 06:12 PM"American Friend" I have it on VHS. I'm not sure if it has different titles internationally. I liked this a lot more than I thought I would.
Ha!

I watched this just for Bruno Gans (I think that is his name). I liked him in another film or two and wanted to see him in something else. Jeez, I can't believe my memory is so poor. Need more coffee.
his name is Bruno GanZ and he's a swissler ^^

roflmao

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/17/2014, 05:04 PMAlot of people write this series off as some Twilight-ish Battle Royale rip off, but once you take the time its easy to see that it's much more.
Agreed.  Hunger Games has grown on me.

I finally got around to watching "Man of Steel" Sunday night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be.  The end got pretty over the top, but most of the movie was pretty decent, imo.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/17/2014, 11:39 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 06/17/2014, 05:04 PMAlot of people write this series off as some Twilight-ish Battle Royale rip off, but once you take the time its easy to see that it's much more.
Agreed.  Hunger Games has grown on me.

I finally got around to watching "Man of Steel" Sunday night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be.  The end got pretty over the top, but most of the movie was pretty decent, imo.
Dido on both accounts IMO

The hunger game while pathetically transparent is fun to watch and could serve as that transitional movie to determine if your kd has deductive reasoning down.  Mind you I find the troops to be telegraphed from the moon they are so painfully obvious...

Similarly the new superman movie was decent.  Mind you it is no Kneel before Zod son of Jarel! But it was a very well look at General Zod and a slightly more tyrannical and modern look at him......granted I am tainted by the superior Super animated series.

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/17/2014, 08:58 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/17/2014, 05:32 PM
Ha!

his name is Bruno GanZ and he's a swissler ^^
Yeah, I wish he was in more stuff. I suppose he's icky to have been in any movie at all, considering that he's a Swissler.  :pcgs:

Which reminds me: Tats, have you ever seen/heard the classic jingle for Switzler licorice?

"...I'd trade my sister for a new transistor, but I'd never swap my Switzler..." 

Clearly, a very old commercial (transistor radio, woo hoo!)

VenomMacbeth

Just watched Super all the way through last night.  Much better than Kickass, albeit a bit more difficult to watch at times.

SHUT UP, CRIME!!!
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Switzer vs Switzzler. Both made licorice, I think, but only one had the awesome jingle.

DeshDildo

Finally rented the new RoboCop movie.  In the words of Wesley Willis it sucked a cheetah's dick with worcestershire sauce.

All of the remakes they've been doing of my favorite late 80's early 90's flicks just don't compare.  CGI is my enemy.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

jtucci31

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/18/2014, 10:04 AMJust watched Super all the way through last night.  Much better than Kickass, albeit a bit more difficult to watch at times.

SHUT UP, CRIME!!!
Is Super the one with Rain Wilson and Ellen Page? Or am I thinking of a different movie?

esteban

Quote from: Desh on 06/18/2014, 06:27 PMFinally rented the new RoboCop movie.  In the words of Wesley Willis it sucked a cheetah's dick with worcestershire sauce.

All of the remakes they've been doing of my favorite late 80's early 90's flicks just don't compare.  CGI is my enemy.
I know folks will think we are just being cranky, but I hate gratuitous CGI in live action films. I love when CGI can't be identified because it is so subtle.

MrFulci

Quote from: esteban on 06/18/2014, 08:49 PM
Quote from: Desh on 06/18/2014, 06:27 PMFinally rented the new RoboCop movie.  In the words of Wesley Willis it sucked a cheetah's dick with worcestershire sauce.

I know folks will think we are just being cranky, but I hate gratuitous CGI in live action films. I love when CGI can't be identified because it is so subtle.
Yars ago, CGI was used for things that couldn't be done with practical effects, or would have been really cost prohibitive to do with practical effects. Over the years, it has become a way to do everything. Such as CGI blood splatter.

What always loses me with CGI, is that it looks too, "Fake". I prefer the fakeness of miniatures and such, to CGI, which ahs a cartoonish look.

In some movies the cartoonish look works, others, not so much.

It does say something, that some of the work in Jurassic Parks looks better than some of the CGI I've seen in the 20+ years after that movie was released.

It's just like how over the past 10 years, most movies are mostly using the colors blue and orange, because they are complimentary colors. There are many sites out there with information on this practice, here is one of them - http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Movies are getting lazier with the use of CGI, coloring, etc.

However, I have heard from some people that they like the blue/orange color palette, and also they like CGI. Mostly younger people, who feel any movie from the 90's is really old, and have not known a world without CGI in films :)
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

jtucci31

Yeah that movie was....interesting to say the least. I assume you're all referring to that very weird rape scene..

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:41 PMYeah that movie was....interesting to say the least. I assume you're all referring to that very weird rape scene..
I don't even recall any rape scenes. Lol... if there aren't any tentacles then it usually doesn't leave an impression. I was referring more to the deep dark place that poor Dwight Shrute found himself in.  Some aspects of his situation and the dialog hit a bit close to home at times.
I definitely remember some kind of weird sexual scene involving the both of them. But yeah that movie was definitely dark. I don't remember it being too bad though

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:58 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:55 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:48 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/18/2014, 10:41 PMYeah that movie was....interesting to say the least. I assume you're all referring to that very weird rape scene..
I don't even recall any rape scenes. Lol... if there aren't any tentacles then it usually doesn't leave an impression. I was referring more to the deep dark place that poor Dwight Shrute found himself in.  Some aspects of his situation and the dialog hit a bit close to home at times.
I definitely remember some kind of weird sexual scene involving the both of them. But yeah that movie was definitely dark. I don't remember it being too bad though
OOOH... I remember now! Hahah... that was pretty rockin' if you ask me.

(To the masses: don't judge me by that rape thing until you watch the movie... it isn't quite what it sounds like. :lol:)
Lol yeah it's nothing terrible really. I'd sort of have to agree with you to an extent on the whole "rockin" part ;)

DeshDildo

Quote from: MrFulci on 06/18/2014, 10:14 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/18/2014, 08:49 PM

Yars ago, CGI was used for things that couldn't be done with practical effects, or would have been really cost prohibitive to do with practical effects. Over the years, it has become a way to do everything. Such as CGI blood splatter.

What always loses me with CGI, is that it looks too, "Fake". I prefer the fakeness of miniatures and such, to CGI, which ahs a cartoonish look.

In some movies the cartoonish look works, others, not so much.

It does say something, that some of the work in Jurassic Parks looks better than some of the CGI I've seen in the 20+ years after that movie was released.

It's just like how over the past 10 years, most movies are mostly using the colors blue and orange, because they are complimentary colors. There are many sites out there with information on this practice, here is one of them - http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

Movies are getting lazier with the use of CGI, coloring, etc.

However, I have heard from some people that they like the blue/orange color palette, and also they like CGI. Mostly younger people, who feel any movie from the 90's is really old, and have not known a world without CGI in films :)

I couldn't agree with you more!  I even use the Jurassic Park example whenever I argue get in a discussion with someone about CGI.  Thanks for the info too.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

FiftyQuid

All this CGI talk got me thinking about The LEGO Movie.  I have to say there were moments in that movie where I thought to myself "Man, this looks like stop animation." which is awesome!  I haven't done any research on weather they used solely CGI, but if they did it came out awesome.  CGI is cartoony like you guys have said, but for The LEGO Movie there were times were I couldn't tell if it was computer graphics or the real thing.  They did an awesome job!  If I had seen that movie back in the 80's I would have flipped out.  I was (and still am) a LEGO nut.  Thank God I had a son so I can buy him LEGO.  Heck, LEGO even has a girly line now that is pretty awesome.  Have you seen this thing;

IMG

It's not as cool and sophisticated as some of the other sets out there, but anything that drives up interest for girls and LEGO is okay in my books.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

nectarsis

12 Years a Slave...seriously she dot an Oscar for 10+ lines and MAYBE 15 minutes of screen time??

Frozen....SOOO vastly overrated
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

DeshDildo

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/19/2014, 11:35 AMAll this CGI talk got me thinking about The LEGO Movie.  I have to say there were moments in that movie where I thought to myself "Man, this looks like stop animation." which is awesome!  I haven't done any research on weather they used solely CGI, but if they did it came out awesome.  CGI is cartoony like you guys have said, but for The LEGO Movie there were times were I couldn't tell if it was computer graphics or the real thing.  They did an awesome job!  If I had seen that movie back in the 80's I would have flipped out.  I was (and still am) a LEGO nut.  Thank God I had a son so I can buy him LEGO.  Heck, LEGO even has a girly line now that is pretty awesome.  Have you seen this thing;

IMG

It's not as cool and sophisticated as some of the other sets out there, but anything that drives up interest for girls and LEGO is okay in my books.
Don't get me wrong I'm fine with CGI in a movie like this or any other animated movie where CGI is the only thing used.  I hate CGI were there doesn't need to be CGI i.e. many racing shots in Fast and Furious 2.  It was like really, you already have the cars built and people to drive them but you're going to have a simple part like two cars racing in a straight line done in CGI, why?

jtucci31

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 06/19/2014, 11:35 AMAll this CGI talk got me thinking about The LEGO Movie.  I have to say there were moments in that movie where I thought to myself "Man, this looks like stop animation." which is awesome!  I haven't done any research on weather they used solely CGI, but if they did it came out awesome.  CGI is cartoony like you guys have said, but for The LEGO Movie there were times were I couldn't tell if it was computer graphics or the real thing.  They did an awesome job!  If I had seen that movie back in the 80's I would have flipped out.  I was (and still am) a LEGO nut. 

I had to look that up after seeing it as I thought it was stop motion at times too. But I believe that last I searched I found that it was all CGI. But I agree that they did an excellent job. By using everything Lego-related (I.e. Water, fire, etc)

FiftyQuid

Quote from: nectarsis on 06/19/2014, 11:50 AMFrozen....SOOO vastly overrated
then watch this;
Quote from: Desh on 06/19/2014, 04:37 PMDon't get me wrong I'm fine with CGI in a movie like this or any other animated movie where CGI is the only thing used.  I hate CGI were there doesn't need to be CGI i.e. many racing shots in Fast and Furious 2.  It was like really, you already have the cars built and people to drive them but you're going to have a simple part like two cars racing in a straight line done in CGI, why?
Funny... I watched this on Netflix last night.  It already looks dated.  For the record it's called 2 Fast, 2 Furious.  Ha!

DeshDildo

Haha... well 2Fast2Furious is terrible but I saw it in the theatres when it cameout because any movie with car chases has some viewing value.  The movie turned from crap to the shittiest shit that ever shitted when some of the car scenes didn't even involve real cars.

FiftyQuid

Quote from: Desh on 06/19/2014, 08:33 PMHaha... well 2Fast2Furious is terrible but I saw it in the theatres when it cameout because any movie with car chases has some viewing value.  The movie turned from crap to the shittiest shit that ever shitted when some of the car scenes didn't even involve real cars.
The Dukes Of Hazzard jump at the end is priceless.  Both of the heroes are pretty much knocked out from crashing into the boat, yet Walker somehow miraculously managed to grab his gun and fire before the bad guy, who is already holding and aiming his gun at Walker, can even pull the trigger.  Ha!

FiftyQuid

Quote from: guest on 06/19/2014, 08:59 PMThanks for the spoiler, fiddy.... now I don't have to bother watching it tonight like I'd planned since I rented it.... :twisted:
I just saved you $5 bucks.  You owe me.  I'll PM you my address.   :mrgreen:

Tatsujin

I got really allergic to that teal'n'orange crap over the past few years. almost a deal breaker for me.
same goes for todays CGI stuff.
what looked revolutionary and perfect used in stuff like terminator II, these days it's only soulless synthetic crap for like 95% of most of its usage.

MrFulci

There is some mention of car chases here. I can't think of any movie I've seen with CGI car chases, then again I have never seen and of the Fast and Furious movies mentioned here, they're just not my thing. I doubt a CGI car chase would hold my attention the same way the chase scenes in French Connection (The subway chase is awesome), Ronin, The Seven Ups, Bullit, or any other similar chase with real cars would hold my attention.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

roflmao

I'm about to go watch Pacific Rim.  I've heard good things about it.  Hopefully I'll post back with good news. :)

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 08:49 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/20/2014, 08:38 PMI'm about to go watch Pacific Rim.  I've heard good things about it.  Hopefully I'll post back with good news. :)
Pretty decent action flick! I like at the end when everyone dies!
GAH!!!  Spoiler Alert!  Meanie. :P

VestCunt

I was looking forward to PR too, but it was pretty boring. Good explosions. Stupid, cliche characters.

Watched 28 Weeks Later last night. Better than I expected for a sequel from a B+ movie. The music is a real highpoint. Been listening to composer John Murphy nonstop now:
Topic Adjourned.

NightWolve

I always thought we should have a Movie Picks type thread similar to the random YouTube postings, so glad to see this thread got started.

Yeah, it sucked ballz. I literally could've just stopped it halfway in, put on the original Robocop and had a much better time rather than finishing off watching this garbage... Yet another remake that didn't need to be made and insulted the original rather than improve upon it.