The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime

Started by DragonmasterDan, 07/08/2011, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PunkCryborg

Got tickets to see Fate Stay Night: Heaven's Feel in theaters tomorrow night with my FGO buddies.  So excite 😁

Gypsy

Quote from: Gypsy on 09/18/2017, 06:32 PMI finished up the original Mobile Suit Gundam a few days ago. It was okay. Really ramped up in the last few episodes. Going to start 08th MS Team tonight.
I just finished MS Team recently. I basically watched it in two chunks. The first seven episodes back around when I posted this, then I got caught up with other stuff and watched the remaining 5 over the last couple nights. Animation quality was excellent, show itself was short and sweet.

Started Zeta Gundam. The jump in animation from the original is pretty noticeable.

SignOfZeta

The 08 MS Team is totally enjoyable but also pretty much totally forgettable. Sort of a waste of potential, IMO.
IMG

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/10/2017, 11:46 AMThe 08 MS Team is totally enjoyable but also pretty much totally forgettable. Sort of a waste of potential, IMO.
Yeah it's just a short gaiden that is basically a love story. In terms of the overall story it doesn't really add anything.

SignOfZeta

Last night my niece was over so we watched Magnetic Rose, the first part of Memories (1995). Anyone who hasn't seen that should and anyone who hoards old LDs should have this one, it even has English CCs/LD+G.
IMG

Gypsy

I had not heard of this before. I'll check it out.

Medic_wheat

Speaking of new Anime I recently got the tv/ova series to Patlabar. I was unaware of this series having anything more than the two movies.

The movies I picked up a few years ago do really cheap. I want to say $15 per set which I kinda loved. The box sets and books with concept art is really great. Made me feel no need to upgrade the set to the Blu-ray.

https://i.imgur.com/inHcbXq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/TxPatcF.jpg

I got these off a recent sale that Sentai had. I think there is a 3rd movie and a "new series" also available but buyin this set wasn't cheap. Maybe next year I can splurg on more anime lol. I sorta went crazy with the lot I bought from Sentai and Right Stuff. But then again I wait for the year end sales force most part.

This series from what I can see on YouTube is really fun. The animation is fantastic and although a different less gritty tone than the movies is definitely worth a watch. So I'll have to slowly work my way through all this.

https://i.imgur.com/uZKHNLo.jpg

Once I finish watching my newest anime I plan to rewatch the movies.

Gypsy

If you like the tv series a lot, the 2nd oav is a continuation of it.

SignOfZeta

You must have been confused as shit by those movies. :)
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/11/2017, 08:43 AMIf you like the tv series a lot, the 2nd oav is a continuation of it.
I just double checked. Yes the new files great to know it's a continuation. I thought I might have just been a stand alone OVA. Odd to me that the tv show and first OVA is dubbed in English. However the second OVA is only subbed.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/11/2017, 10:06 AMYou must have been confused as shit by those movies. :)
It's one of those things where you take the world for what it is. I think I had only seen the movies off toonami due to the popularity Of Gundam series in the mid 90s.

To think of it I don't believe I have ever heard anyone speak of the Patlabor movies let alone the fact a tv series exist.

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/11/2017, 12:57 AMLast night my niece was over so we watched Magnetic Rose, the first part of Memories (1995). Anyone who hasn't seen that should and anyone who hoards old LDs should have this one, it even has English CCs/LD+G.
What a classic, I don't remember seeing Memories until like early 2000s though and didn't realize it came out in 95.  I've got a DVD release of it from years ago.

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/11/2017, 10:51 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/11/2017, 10:06 AMYou must have been confused as shit by those movies. :)
It's one of those things where you take the world for what it is. I think I had only seen the movies off toonami due to the popularity Of Gundam series in the mid 90s.

To think of it I don't believe I have ever heard anyone speak of the Patlabor movies let alone the fact a tv series exist.
Patlabor is underappreciated imo.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2017, 12:13 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/11/2017, 12:57 AMLast night my niece was over so we watched Magnetic Rose, the first part of Memories (1995). Anyone who hasn't seen that should and anyone who hoards old LDs should have this one, it even has English CCs/LD+G.
What a classic, I don't remember seeing Memories until like early 2000s though and didn't realize it came out in 95.  I've got a DVD release of it from years ago.
I just added Magnetic Rose to my list...my daughter and I love watching anime.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

Magnetic Rose is the first of a three part anthology called Memories that was released theatrically. Since the LD is CAV it consumes three discs so each short has its own jacket with its own artwork which looks completely unique from the others because there are three directors. Normally nobody would ever watch/look for Magnetic Rose by itself, it just turned out that way because we only had an hour and the LD is divided up so well like that. Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder are the other segments and they are great but Magnetic Rose stands out, particularly if you have the WATTS to blast Maddam Butterfly as loud as possible. The soundtrack is terrific and the surround very absorbing.

Warning: it has a very sad plot element!
IMG

Gypsy

The DVD is pretty cheap. There is a blu but it's region b.

I had a mini-pile of Lupin DVDs arrive today. Almost have all the movies/specials/oavs released in the US now...

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/11/2017, 05:31 PMMagnetic Rose is the first of a three part anthology called Memories that was released theatrically. Since the LD is CAV it consumes three discs so each short has its own jacket with its own artwork which looks completely unique from the others because there are three directors. Normally nobody would ever watch/look for Magnetic Rose by itself, it just turned out that way because we only had an hour and the LD is divided up so well like that. Stink Bomb and Cannon Fodder are the other segments and they are great but Magnetic Rose stands out, particularly if you have the WATTS to blast Maddam Butterfly as loud as possible. The soundtrack is terrific and the surround very absorbing.

Warning: it has a very sad plot element!
I don't have surround sound, just good old-fashioned receiver with stereo speakers designed for blasting music.

:)

So, yes, we can WATTS.

Also, we can handle the somber and the sads.

Gypsy

Lupin Green vs Red. I'd put it in the same tier as Mamo. So definitely not the best.

Gonna watch some of the older tv specials tomorrow.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/11/2017, 10:32 PMLupin Green vs Red. I'd put it in the same tier as Mamo. So definitely not the best.

Green vs Red is just kind of nonsense.

I actually like Mamo quite a bit, it's weird and very 70s.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 12/12/2017, 09:32 AM
Quote from: Gypsy on 12/11/2017, 10:32 PMLupin Green vs Red. I'd put it in the same tier as Mamo. So definitely not the best.

Green vs Red is just kind of nonsense.

I actually like Mamo quite a bit, it's weird and very 70s.
I chalked both up to nonsense. Neither was an enjoyable for me as the average Lupin thing, but I don't exactly hate either of them.

ClodBusted

I got the first Patlabor movie on Blu-ray, but haven't got around watching it yet.

Some years ago, I grabbed the three theatrical movies of Mobile Suit Gundam on DVD for cheap when they were on sale at the German distributor, as well as the movies F-91 and Char's Counter Attack. So far, I've only seen the first half of the first Gundam movie. I wonder if I should give it another try.

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2017, 03:22 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/01/2017, 04:57 PMWhen browsing through the PCE games catalogue, I got intrigued by Bakuretsu Hunters. Turned out this was released as Sorcerer Hunters by ADV USA. Oh, those titties. Did anybody of you watched this yet and could please tell me if this is worth for an old hog that's used to watch hand drawn and cel-colored animation of the 80s to late 90s?
Oh well, I just won the 7-DVD-collection from a UK based seller for around 32 pounds. So I'll let you guys know how it holds up.
(Sorcerer Hunters TV opening)

Yesterday I saw the first episode of the TV-series (contained on DVD 1 to 6).
Reminds me of Slayers and Dragon Half, although not as zany as the latter one. Still good for a laugh. Animation is done well. Chocolate Misu is darn sexy.

Also I saw the beginning of the first OVA-episode (contained on DVD 7).
Both the OVA opening* as well as the first scene (hot springs) include major boobage. Too risky to link a video here.

*censored on Youtube, though, strangely there's one shot of heavy boob jiggle missing that you'll only find on the DVDs.

nectarsis

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/10/2017, 11:46 AMThe 08 MS Team is totally enjoyable but also pretty much totally forgettable. Sort of a waste of potential, IMO.
!!!!  DIEEEEE !!!!! lol

I like it because it's the most "realistic" by in large (besides the MA, and you know giant bipedal robots) ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Gypsy

SignOfZeta

IMG

ClodBusted

Gypsy

Heh. Well it is my first time watching this stuff. It looks like it's going to be one of my favourite mecha series.

Gypsy

Steins;Gate is $11 brand new on Amazon right now.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/17/2017, 06:48 PMSteins;Gate is $11 brand new on Amazon right now.
And I just bought it. Sure I have had it for years from torrent sites but I have been on a crusading to legally own Anime especially series and movies I enjoyed.

Gypsy

Yeah I bought it too. Hard to go wrong at that price so I'll give it a go, been meaning to anyway. I noticed it after I had already placed a large order but I'd think Amazon would combine it and ship everything in a box.

DragonmasterDan

My Lupin the Third Series Part II Collection II arrived this week along with GoShogun: The Time Estranger on Blu-Ray (which I've never seen).
--DragonmasterDan

xcrement5x

On the recommendation of PunkCryborg a couple weeks back, I just finished watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix just recently. It starts out really weird and over the top with the nudity and themes, but the series ends with an insane crescendo of sorts over the last three episodes. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but the music and animation are incredibly well done, plus at only 10 episodes it is not too long to stick with. I'd recommend it to anyone looking with something different to watch, it's not anything like most of the modern moe garbage that comes out.

SignOfZeta

I'd be interested in discussing this, the OVA itself or the analysis. The guy himself...his voice is annoying and every pro podcaster looks like Jake Paul to me now but in my opinion it's well worth watching.

This is the kind of anime that I love and almost nobody else will even watch let alone watch dozens of times, largely because a lot of it is impossible to find (in this case there is a perfect HD ver on YouTube) or its untranslated (in this case there is so little dialogue and so many ways to interpret the thing that language is not that important) so I'm glad to see this.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Thinking of cataloging my current anime library and verifying what is a keeper, what to ykgrade if blu Ray is avilable, and what holes I have left in my incomplete series/movies collection.

Apart from all of that I am debating on getting the newest Berserk season one. I enjoyed the golden egg arch three movie features. So probably get it but not 100% sold on it yet.

A few weeks ago I marathoned Mob Psycho 100. I loved it. I think I enjoyed it more so than One Punch. Even though the same creator made these series Mob just seemed more. I don't know. 80s light hearted.

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 01/19/2018, 09:31 PMOn the recommendation of PunkCryborg a couple weeks back, I just finished watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix just recently. It starts out really weird and over the top with the nudity and themes, but the series ends with an insane crescendo of sorts over the last three episodes. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but the music and animation are incredibly well done, plus at only 10 episodes it is not too long to stick with. I'd recommend it to anyone looking with something different to watch, it's not anything like most of the modern moe garbage that comes out.
Dunno but i think devilman crybaby animation was rather sloppy.Though for the amount of sex&violence it had i saw it as the norm since it is based off go-nagai original.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/19/2018, 09:39 PM
I'd be interested in discussing this, the OVA itself or the analysis. The guy himself...his voice is annoying and every pro podcaster looks like Jake Paul to me now but in my opinion it's well worth watching.

This is the kind of anime that I love and almost nobody else will even watch let alone watch dozens of times, largely because a lot of it is impossible to find (in this case there is a perfect HD ver on YouTube) or its untranslated (in this case there is so little dialogue and so many ways to interpret the thing that language is not that important) so I'm glad to see this.
Watching the movie on youtube now.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TR0N on 01/20/2018, 01:23 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/19/2018, 09:31 PMOn the recommendation of PunkCryborg a couple weeks back, I just finished watching Devilman Crybaby on Netflix just recently. It starts out really weird and over the top with the nudity and themes, but the series ends with an insane crescendo of sorts over the last three episodes. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but the music and animation are incredibly well done, plus at only 10 episodes it is not too long to stick with. I'd recommend it to anyone looking with something different to watch, it's not anything like most of the modern moe garbage that comes out.
Dunno but i think devilman crybaby animation was rather sloppy.Though for the amount of sex&violence it had i saw it as the norm since it is based off go-nagai original.
I agree with the latter part of your comment regarding what to expect as far as content and explicitness.

With that said I rather enjoyed crybabies art direction.

Would love to see the series get a physical release. A NA blueray release fk the OVA (I believe JP got one a few years back).

I would also like to see a NA release of the chino series as well.

https://i.imgur.com/7HDTem3.jpg

Medic_wheat

I am so dumb. Diskotech released Chara Go Nagai World already.

Seems only dvd?  Still it's now a must buy for me.

Gypsy

Fantastic movie, highly symbolic so there is a lot to think about. I wonder if I could find a Japanese LD or DVD of it. Preferably LD just for the artwork if anything.

esteban

I just started watching this last night!

Ha!

I am sticking to the end.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/20/2018, 12:10 PM

Fantastic movie, highly symbolic so there is a lot to think about. I wonder if I could find a Japanese LD or DVD of it. Preferably LD just for the artwork if anything.
The LD is the cheapest by far now, but it still hard to find. I have the original release and while I'll never part with it I honestly have to say that nobody really saw this thing until the HD transfer. You lose a LOT on the LD.

There is a reprint that I'm pretty sure just adds Digital Sound and I think here is an Oshii box set that has this in it. If the box is a remaster I'd recommend it over the earlier LD.
IMG

Gypsy

Yeah I couldn't find anything but the blu on eBay. Didn't look on yaj yet though. The blu was a bit more than I'd want to pay for a single movie.

There is an LD Oshii set on eBay but it does not include Angel's Egg. It was 4/6 movies I already have too, so not much interest in that.

xcrement5x

Yeah, I can see your complaints on the animation, but I considered it just hyper-stylized which to me kind of fit with the off kilter feel of the whole anime.  My biggest animation complaint was that you see Miki's amazing abs like once and then they never show them again despite the fact that you frequently see her running in the same outfit.  Must've been too much work to keep up :P

Gypsy

I started up rewatching Ranma the other day. I don't think I ever finished the first time.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2018, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I can see your complaints on the animation, but I considered it just hyper-stylized which to me kind of fit with the off kilter feel of the whole anime.  My biggest animation complaint was that you see Miki's amazing abs like once and then they never show them again despite the fact that you frequently see her running in the same outfit.  Must've been too much work to keep up :P
I finished watching Devilman: crybaby and I enjoyed it.

Medic_wheat

https://imgur.com/gallery/9HWuu

IMG

Time to take a break and just enjoy an Anime that is light hearted and hits all the funny bones.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/21/2018, 09:27 AMYeah I couldn't find anything but the blu on eBay. Didn't look on yaj yet though. The blu was a bit more than I'd want to pay for a single movie.

There is an LD Oshii set on eBay but it does not include Angel's Egg. It was 4/6 movies I already have too, so not much interest in that.
I watched the original LD again the other night. It's not as bad as I remember, very good image for 1985. I guess that HD version on YT just blew my mind a little too much for a minute. Full disclosure, I have a CLD-99 and an XBR-960 which, in period, was one of the best LD viewing setups available. Your mileage may vary.
IMG

Gypsy

I have that exact tv but definitely not as good of a player. I'm generally fine with my LD viewing experience though, and I don't watch them super frequently.

Lately I've been focused on upgrading my audio. Also eyeing a better BD player.

Medic_wheat

Something I have been thinking. About since I watched Devilman Crybaby is this.

It says season 1

Everyone seems to ignore this.

Sure it covered be entirety do the five volume manga but why denote t as season one?

Will it continue with a second season?  Maybe following Violance Jack?

SignOfZeta

Every show on Netflix is season one, even if there is one season only.

Now, can we talk about Angel's Egg you fucking retards?
IMG