RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

That movie you just watched

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/09/2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilEvoIX

Windy City Heat.  It's comedy perfection.  I can't get over how the star of the movie did not know it was a farce.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

o.pwuaioc

Shaun of the Dead. Been about 10 years since I last watched it, for some reason I was in the mood today.

The movie is great, as most of you know. It always gets me a bit down, though.

EvilEvoIX

Black Mass, a big fat "MEH".  So many things were glossed over and events switched around to meet a new plot.  Depp was good and all but movie simply was not good enough.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/18/2015, 11:27 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 10/18/2015, 11:13 PMIt's now my second favorite Ridley Scott film, just trailing Blade Runner and right above Alien.  It's certainly his best movie since Gladiator.  I really want to go see it again... which, again, is another thing I haven't done in ages.
That's good to hear as I had lost respect for his movie-making ability. "Exodus: Gods and Kings" absolutely sucked ballz and I never should've bothered watching it. His "Robin Hood" was far from Gladiator, and I'd rather watch the previous one with Kevin Costner.

Prometheus on the other hand was interesting certainly, and respectable, I think mostly because of Michael Fassbender's performance, but it was lacking compared to say Alien. I actually think Guy Pearce's viral speech video was better than the whole movie. :)
Anyway, yeah, it's good to hear if Martian is on the par with Gladiator (back when his Russell Crowe partnership was paying off). I'll check it out on video.
Oh, yeah.  I agree completely.  The Martian was an excellent return to form, and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he's never really tried his hand at something so uplifting and positive.  I think a change in tone was exactly the kick in the pants he needed. 

I still hope to God he's given up on that Blade Runner sequel, though...  Leave perfection alone, damn it!

HailingTheThings

Just watched "Trick or Treat (1986)"  Good shit, definitely worth a watch.
IMG

NightWolve

Ah, the De Laurentiis group, I could watch this some time! :)

HailingTheThings

IMG

NightWolve

In movie news...

http://collider.com/kurt-russell-bone-tomahawk-hateful-8-interview/
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/kurt-russell-on-the-big-trouble-in-little-china-remake-good-luck-231

Kurt Russell was asked to comment about the plans by Dwayne Johnson and others to remake a classic like Big Trouble in Little China.

QuoteI assume you've hear by now that Dwayne Johnson wants to remake Big Trouble in Little China and I was wondering if you had any tips for him?

RUSSELL: Yeah, I didn't know who it was, as a matter of fact, I was just talking to someone for this and he was bringing that up, it's funny those often get brought up. You know, I heard they were gonna remake Big Trouble in Little China, I heard they were gonna make Overboard, they were gonna remake some Disney stuff. I mean, I don't know, I guess it's that time now. Hey, you know, nothing sacred, why not? Go get it, good luck. I always think it's interesting what's gonna be done. Dwayne Johnson I don't know what his take on it is gonna be, I don't know what they're gonna do.

I always look at those movies when I see a remake and it's like, "Ok... there's gotta be a reason" I did ne with John [Carpenter], we did the remake of The Thing. But John didn't want to remake the original movie, he wanted to remake Who Goes There? He wanted not to remake The Thing, he wanted to do a movie of Who Goes There? Which had never been made, which was the short story. So ours is in fact quite different that the original Thing and it was a horrific monster [Laughs] and it took a long time for that movie to kind of gain it's appreciation but through the years it's been nice to watch that happen with that movie, it's now considered one of the great horror movies ever made and I'm very proud to have been a part of that.

So with Big Trouble in Little China John and I, I know we did something that at that time was –The sensibility of that movie was very different, no movie had been made like that, and virtually you flip-flopped the leading man and the psychic, you flip-flopped those roles, that had never been done. And a lot of the humor and the style of that movie was brand new for that time and was very much copied after that, so in its way Big Trouble is definitely a cult film. So I don't know what their reasons are for remaking the movie but I hope that they have the right reasons and I hope that they do it well and good luck, what can I say? I don't know, I don't have thoughts other than that. Hang in there, good luck, go get em'.

o.pwuaioc

Finally saw Batman Begins. It's a well put together movie with a very unscientific plot (something so bad that it's jarring, rips you straight out of suspension of disbelief) and Batman's voice is borderline comical. Also, the "theatrics in the mansion...nah, again, just unbelievable.

I can suspend some disbelief in comic book movies, but this pushes it. Par for the course for Nolan, though.

HailingTheThings

Probably the best movie ever made... to order.
Long story short, I felt like visiting the late 90s, so... yeah, accidentally watched this.

Was worth it for this scene:
Also, this one with Linda Cardellini (of Freaks and Geeks fame) as a sillybilly mental patient:
ENJOY! <3
IMG

NightWolve

Ah, so that's where he came from before SNL.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: NightWolve on 11/08/2015, 08:27 PMAh, so that's where he came from before SNL.
Yeah, a show called "All That" is where the original Good Burger skit came from. Keenan and Kel then had their own show for a while.
IMG

shawnji

I saw Peanuts just the other day, and while there was nothing really original about any of the material, it definitely pushed the right buttons and I came out smiling in the end.  What I really found refreshing about it was the lack of modern technology.  They still use rotary phones in this movie!  No ham-fisted references to pop culture or attempts to appeal to some market analysts; just timeless characters in a timeless setting.  I was pleased overall.

Warbucks

Just saw Antman..

I thought it was gonna suck so I didn't see it right away.
It was actually REALLY good.  Way better than I thought it would be.

SplatterTrigger

Watched the entire Back to the Future Trilogy with my daughter (her first time) over the weekend.

Jason_dicarlo85

Watched the vacation remake and terminator genesis this weekend... Vacation was pretty good I genuinely laughed throughout the whole movie... Genesis was a turf.. Easily The worst terminator movie yet... Too much time travel and them trying to change the events that happened in the first movie

SplatterTrigger

Quote from: Jason_dicarlo85 on 11/16/2015, 07:19 AMWatched the vacation remake and terminator genesis this weekend... Vacation was pretty good I genuinely laughed throughout the whole movie... Genesis was a turf.. Easily The worst terminator movie yet... Too much time travel and them trying to change the events that happened in the first movie
I've heard that the new Terminator was terrible.

EvilEvoIX

Pixels, terrible movie but I loved the references and the Peter Dinklage character.  Worth a watch if you don't mind a crap plot line.
IMGIMGIMG

jtucci31

Just saw this fucked up French film called 'Irreversible'. All of the scenes play out in reverse order, so the first thing you see is the end. It used low frequencues at some points (28 hz I believe) that cause nausea, and I got nauseous.

My girlfriend was doing some research project. I'm glad I'm not a film studies minor sometimes.

gheebee

Quote from: guest on 12/01/2015, 01:14 AMJust saw this fucked up French film called 'Irreversible'.
Always wanted to give this one another go but never actually feel like watching it; got this nice Korean DVD of it that came with some films cells over a decade ago but have only watched it once.

MotherGunner

For whatever reason, I went back to see the Matt Damon Bourne Movies, and Lord of War this weekend.

Good times.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Otaking

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Watched a 1080p BluRay rip, last time I watched it was on VHS 20 years ago.

In the past I've only ever watched it with subtitles, so decided to give the dubbed version a go this time and was pleasantly surprised to hear Patrick Stewart voice Lord Yupa, one of the main characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Digi.k

Quote from: shawnji on 11/08/2015, 08:37 PMI saw Peanuts just the other day, and while there was nothing really original about any of the material, it definitely pushed the right buttons and I came out smiling in the end.  What I really found refreshing about it was the lack of modern technology.  They still use rotary phones in this movie!  No ham-fisted references to pop culture or attempts to appeal to some market analysts; just timeless characters in a timeless setting.  I was pleased overall.
Good I enjoyed the peanuts movie too as the original cartoons were a childhood thing for me.  I'm actually pretty glad they stuck to a similar formula to the originals including jazz music.

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/25/2016, 04:23 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 11/08/2015, 08:37 PMI saw Peanuts just the other day, and while there was nothing really original about any of the material, it definitely pushed the right buttons and I came out smiling in the end.  What I really found refreshing about it was the lack of modern technology.  They still use rotary phones in this movie!  No ham-fisted references to pop culture or attempts to appeal to some market analysts; just timeless characters in a timeless setting.  I was pleased overall.
Good I enjoyed the peanuts movie too as the original cartoons were a childhood thing for me.  I'm actually pretty glad they stuck to a similar formula to the originals including jazz music.
The absolute best Peanuts special, as far as I am concerned, is HALLOWEEN. I have watched that one so many times...I love the soundscape. So great. And the Great Pumpkin is an intriguing creation.

Continue...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

spawnshop

Oblivion is on TV again.....and i just can't seem to turn the channel.  must be the sixth time watching it.

this is probably one of the best sci-fi films in the last 5-10 years.  i really enjoyed everything about it......especially this

IMG

HailingTheThings

I watched this recently:
Was worth it for this segment:
Spooky-Spooky, hehe.

<3
IMG

johnnykonami

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/25/2016, 11:42 PMI watched this recently:

Spooky-Spooky, hehe.

<3
Watched this one in my History of Animation class a couple years back, it's a doozy.  We watched a lot of weird s. in all my classes, really.  Try these classics:
(NSFW in an artsy kinda way)
(Also slightly NSFW)

Really, don't watch any of these at work if for no reason other than not to be embarrassed for watching them in front of your coworkers.

Edit: 3rd movie was Dimensions of Dialog from Jan Å vankmajer, and for prosperity the other two are Run Wrake - Rabbit, and Asparagus by Susan Pitt.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: johnnykonami on 01/26/2016, 12:16 AM

Spooky-Spooky, hehe.

<3
Watched this one in my History of Animation class a couple years back, it's a doozy.  We watched a lot of weird s. in all my classes, really.  Try these classics...
Cool, thanks, saved them to my list, will watch them when I get a minute. <3
IMG

TR0N

While back on netflik and was about cannon films,
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

johnnykonami

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/26/2016, 03:02 AM

Spooky-Spooky, hehe.

<3
Watched this one in my History of Animation class a couple years back, it's a doozy.  We watched a lot of weird s. in all my classes, really.  Try these classics...
No problem.  Refer back to my post for the titles, one of them has already been taken down.  Who knew the copyrights on 1980's stop motion animation from the Czech republic would be taken so seriously??

Quote from: TR0N on 01/26/2016, 04:03 AMWhile back on netflik and was about cannon films,
As a confirmed fan of Breakin' and Breakin 2', I watched this recently also.  Great documentary!  I have seen more Cannon films than I at first realized.   Delta Force, He-Man, a bunch of the others.  A buddy and I are both on the lookout for "The Apple" now. 

I hope someone can do a doc on Full Moon one day!  That should be interesting.

TR0N

Quote from: johnnykonami on 01/27/2016, 11:01 AM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 01/26/2016, 03:02 AM

Spooky-Spooky, hehe.

<3
No problem.  Refer back to my post for the titles, one of them has already been taken down.  Who knew the copyrights on 1980's stop motion animation from the Czech republic would be taken so seriously??

Quote from: TR0N on 01/26/2016, 04:03 AMWhile back on netflik and was about cannon films,
As a confirmed fan of Breakin' and Breakin 2', I watched this recently also.  Great documentary!  I have seen more Cannon films than I at first realized.   Delta Force, He-Man, a bunch of the others.  A buddy and I are both on the lookout for "The Apple" now. 

I hope someone can do a doc on Full Moon one day!  That should be interesting.
Some thing,how cannon films lasted so long before going bankrupt.Most of the time it seemed like they throw out any thing and see what stick.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

MotherGunner

Watching Sideways.  This movie is fucking hilarious in a very subtle way!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

o.pwuaioc

Rewatching Pulp Fiction tonight. What else is there to say?

NightWolve

Quote from: spawnshop on 01/25/2016, 11:41 PMOblivion is on TV again.....and i just can't seem to turn the channel.  must be the sixth time watching it.

this is probably one of the best sci-fi films in the last 5-10 years.  i really enjoyed everything about it......especially this

IMG
Oh yeah, I love that movie! I've watched it well over 10 times. That and "Tron: Legacy" I also consider one of the best SciFi in the last 5-10 years.

Bloufo

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/29/2016, 02:06 AM
Quote from: spawnshop on 01/25/2016, 11:41 PMOblivion is on TV again.....and i just can't seem to turn the channel.  must be the sixth time watching it.

IMG
Oh yeah, I love that movie! I've watched it well over 10 times. That and "Tron: Legacy" I also consider one of the best SciFi in the last 5-10 years.
^^
Oblivion was good. The ending was a bit of a letdown, though.

So I finally got around to watching this,

IMG

I know I would have really enjoyed this movie. That's the frustrating part.

My beef with it is that you're forced to navigate the absolutely annoying and IMO completely unnecessary overload of flash-backward flash-forward nature of the final edit. In some movies that style works great. In this one, for me, it ruined the momentum of the film.

I would love to see a re-edited version with the scenes in chronological order without having to put up with that nonsense.

johnnykonami

Just saw Deadpool with the GF, she loved it.  I agree that it was pretty enjoyable, too.  Lots of goofiness and violence if you like that sort of thing - the audience sure did, they laughed the entire time.  If you do go to see it, remember to stay for a post-credits scene (as should be your policy after any Marvel movie at the very least.)

kosko99

Zootopia, last Friday.
I enjoyed the movie a lot <3
Now I want to see it with the original audio :(

wilykat

Just watched the film When Marnie was There.  Nice anime.

ParanoiaDragon

Watched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, & Army of Darkness with my wife & some friends.  2 of my friends hadn't seen Tucker & Dale, & one of them hadn't seen Army of Darkness before.
IMG

crazydean

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2016, 02:26 AMWatched Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, & Army of Darkness with my wife & some friends.  2 of my friends hadn't seen Tucker & Dale, & one of them hadn't seen Army of Darkness before.
Tucker and Dale is the best sleeper movie I have seen in a long time. My wife wasn't that excited about it, but she still liked it.

Speaking of Army of Darkness, have you seen the new Ash vs Evil Dead show? It's campy like Army of Darkness, but set in modern day. Good stuff.

datbuta

I just watched Kung Fu Panda 3... was pretty good... i felt it was extremely better than the second movie.. and the animation was really well done... the effects and the theme of the movie was just great!

Warbucks

Just watched 2 movies.

The Forest- When her twin sister disappears in Japan, a young American named Sara (Natalie Dormer) becomes determined to find out what happened to her. Sara's investigation leads her to the legendary Aokigahara Forest, located at the base of Mount Fuji. Accompanied by expatriate Aiden, she enters the mysterious wilderness after being warned to "stay on the path." Her investigation plunges her into a dark world where the angry and tormented souls of the dead prey on those who dare to explore the forest.

Creed-Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan) never knew his famous father, boxing champion Apollo Creed, who died before Adonis was born. However, boxing is in his blood, so he seeks out Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) and asks the retired champ to be his trainer. Rocky sees much of Apollo in Adonis, and agrees to mentor him, even as he battles an opponent deadlier than any in the ring. With Rocky's help, Adonis soon gets a title shot, but whether he has the true heart of a fighter remains to be seen.

Both movies were way better than I thought they were going to be.

gheebee

Just watched the new BD of The Mutilator/Fall Break and it was nice to finally see this 80s slasher classic in HD. This one was a long time coming as there were many delays with the release and there was also never a proper DVD of it but now there is a BD/DVD release of the uncut version and this one is simply a must if you're into this sort of thing! Basically this kid accidentally kills his mom while trying to clean his dads rifles and then we flash forward to current day when the kid is now in college, gets a mysterious phone call from his dad asking him to close up the family beach house, and winds up being stalked by a crazed killer while there with some friends.

NightWolve

Quote from: Warbucks on 02/19/2016, 10:12 AMCreed-Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan) never knew his famous father, boxing champion Apollo Creed, who died before Adonis was born. However, boxing is in his blood, so he seeks out Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone) and asks the retired champ to be his trainer. Rocky sees much of Apollo in Adonis, and agrees to mentor him, even as he battles an opponent deadlier than any in the ring. With Rocky's help, Adonis soon gets a title shot, but whether he has the true heart of a fighter remains to be seen.

Both movies were way better than I thought they were going to be.
Recent watch on my part as well. I liked it, but it didn't have the punch as some of the past ones.

Bloufo

^^
Creed was ok. The fighter at the end with that irritating scouse accent put me right off though :lol:

johnnykonami

Just finished Pixels, it wasn't so bad I guess.  Not the biggest Sandler fan and Qbert was a bit offputting (Hey, since when does he say anything other than cursewords?  They missed an opportunity there, Qbert should sworn like a sailor).  It's pretty much what I expected, with some pretty inaccurate stuff to move the plot along - like the "cheat code" to speed up Pac-man.  Pretty hamfisted but like I said, I wasn't expecting Citizen Kane.

geise

Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russel.  It was a tad different for a western film, but I really liked it.  A tad slow at parts though, and one brutal scene.

EvilEvoIX

I just watched Primer.  What a brilliantly made movie with an I term resting twist on time travel.  Movie was made for $7,000.  Brilliant writing, really have to pay attention to the story.  Genius writing.

Deadpool.  Like bed up the the hype.  A fun ride.  Nothing outstanding just really fun.

Zoolander2.  A lukewarm abortion would serve as better entertainment.  Couldn't even finish it I had to shut it off.  Terrible.
IMGIMGIMG

NightWolve

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 02/23/2016, 08:06 PMZoolander2.  A lukewarm abortion would serve as better entertainment.  Couldn't even finish it I had to shut it off.  Terrible.
That was true of the first one and I love Ben Stiller most of the time, but I was very shocked it was decided that something like Zoolander should ever get a sequel... I'm curious to see it, but I remember how bad the first one was even though I could sit through it all for whatever value I could find.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/23/2016, 10:28 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 02/23/2016, 08:06 PMZoolander2.  A lukewarm abortion would serve as better entertainment.  Couldn't even finish it I had to shut it off.  Terrible.
That was true of the first one and I love Ben Stiller most of the time, but I was very shocked it was decided that something like Zoolander should ever get a sequel... I'm curious to see it, but I remember how bad the first one was even though I could sit through it all for whatever value I could find.
Zoolander2 makes zoolander1 look like " On the Waterfront".  Could be the worst more I've ever seen.
IMGIMGIMG