10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Donald Trump Thread aka End of Days

Started by Otaking, 03/02/2016, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 09:07 AMMaybe your attitude is causing fear and anxiety in your co-workers.
I wonder what attitude you're referring to? I am only repeating what he said, and his supervisor shortly after told me.

I have always voted republican before this election ("threw away my vote" on a third party this election fwiw - and live in California where Dems won anyways so my vote didn't matter either way.)  There are things Trump is doing that I have hopes will help, and in California that is a attitude punishable by exile. I do have a lot of issues with his social policies so far, but I am not educated enough to debate with you scholars.

I'd like you to let me know where in this thread I made statements that would contribute to fear and anxiety, as this thread is where I am more vocal and opinionated than anywhere else; I am much more tight lipped and conservative about vocalizing my political views in the work place than on this liberally dominated message board.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I am blessed to work in a great environment that I really enjoy being in, and the cultural diversity here is warm and inviting, so I wasn't even considering the coworker influence on his fear.

Pointing fingers at me was not what I expected in response to me mentioning this happening; I was just mentioning it in passing as I was surprised that I heard of this affecting anyone directly, although it was just a  preemptive action because of fear. I am glad to hear your coworkers aren't panicking and staying with you. I hope that is the more consistent response to the current times, but I was just surprised that this is freaking some people out enough to change their career dramatically, and re-relocate.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: Gredler on 02/01/2017, 02:54 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 09:07 AMMaybe your attitude is causing fear and anxiety in your co-workers.
I wonder what attitude you're referring to? I am only repeating what he said, and his supervisor shortly after told me.

I have always voted republican before this election ("threw away my vote" on a third party this election fwiw - and live in California where Dems won anyways so my vote didn't matter either way.)  There are things Trump is doing that I have hopes will help, and in California that is a attitude punishable by exile. I do have a lot of issues with his social policies so far, but I am not educated enough to debate with you scholars.

I'd like you to let me know where in this thread I made statements that would contribute to fear and anxiety, as this thread is where I am more vocal and opinionated than anywhere else; I am much more tight lipped and conservative about vocalizing my political views in the work place than on this liberally dominated message board.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but I am blessed to work in a great environment that I really enjoy being in, and the cultural diversity here is warm and inviting, so I wasn't even considering the coworker influence on his fear.

Pointing fingers at me was not what I expected in response to me mentioning this happening; I was just mentioning it in passing as I was surprised that I heard of this affecting anyone directly, although it was just a  preemptive action because of fear. I am glad to hear your coworkers aren't panicking and staying with you. I hope that is the more consistent response to the current times, but I was just surprised that this is freaking some people out enough to change their career dramatically, and re-relocate.
Sorry. I didn't mean to point fingers. Didn't realize it came across that way until I read Nullys response.

There's nothing in particular you've posted either. I know that most folks here fall in the liberal side of the pool, and with the way folks are losing their shit right now, it was an assumption.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gredler on 02/01/2017, 02:54 PMI wonder what attitude you're referring to?
Don't sweat it.  That's the standard response from Trump retards: nothing bad is ever Trump's fault.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 09:07 AMThis shouldn't impact outsourcing at all. The intent is to ensure we are using work visas to get the best talent and fill hard to place jobs.

I work with plenty of foreign nationals, and none seem to be worried about this.

Maybe your attitude is causing fear and anxiety in your co-workers.
They are two separate issues (visas, outsourcing).

I have concerns about both issues, independently, for different reasons.

However, what I *do* want clarification on is whether or not (1) clamping down on visas --> (2) an increase in simply outsourcing IT development.

This is *not* the desired outcome I want, naturally, so I am curious of anyone has any ideas (perhaps from other sectors/industries).

The folks I know (financial/medical sectors) have seen a huge shift (over last 15-20 years) to visa programs+outsourcing to handle major components of large projects. The projects retain only a small contingent of local developers.

One can't help but feel that this corporate push is motivated by saving money/cutting development costs.

Since I have friends/family occupying all positions in this complex web, It has been hard to sort through everything—it's been an ongoing topic of debate for a long time for us.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: esteban on 02/01/2017, 04:37 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 09:07 AMThis shouldn't impact outsourcing at all. The intent is to ensure we are using work visas to get the best talent and fill hard to place jobs.

I work with plenty of foreign nationals, and none seem to be worried about this.

Maybe your attitude is causing fear and anxiety in your co-workers.
They are two separate issues (visas, outsourcing).

I have concerns about both issues, independently, for different reasons.

However, what I *do* want clarification on is whether or not (1) clamping down on visas --> (2) an increase in simply outsourcing IT development.

This is *not* the desired outcome I want, naturally, so I am curious of anyone has any ideas (perhaps from other sectors/industries).

The folks I know (financial/medical sectors) have seen a huge shift (over last 15-20 years) to visa programs+outsourcing to handle major components of large projects. The projects retain only a small contingent of local developers.

One can't help but feel that this corporate push is motivated by saving money/cutting development costs.

Since I have friends/family occupying all positions in this complex web, It has been hard to sort through everything—it's been an ongoing topic of debate for a long time for us.
I don't know how places outsource software development. I guess if you are developing a stand alone product, it could be relatively easy, but I don't see how places could outsource software projects to integrate with legacy systems.

Leading design and development efforts is hard enough with a local staff all speaking the same language. I couldn't imagine trying to do that with a foreign group and a language barrier.

Luckily for my dept, we contract with the DOD, so we can't outsource.

OldRover

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/01/2017, 09:28 AMWhen you have former Bush officials predicting Trump getting impeached before his first term is up is like a clue or something.
Yeah, it's a clue... a clue that everyone and their grandmother is trying to become relevant again years after their prime time in the spotlight by riding the current bandwagon. :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ToyMachine78

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/01/2017, 06:39 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 02/01/2017, 09:28 AMWhen you have former Bush officials predicting Trump getting impeached before his first term is up is like a clue or something.
Yeah, it's a clue... a clue that everyone and their grandmother is trying to become relevant again years after their prime time in the spotlight by riding the current bandwagon.
Yeah kinda the pot and the kettle. Bush is lucky he didn't get impeached for war crimes.

BigusSchmuck

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 02/01/2017, 08:50 PM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/01/2017, 06:39 PM
Yeah, it's a clue... a clue that everyone and their grandmother is trying to become relevant again years after their prime time in the spotlight by riding the current bandwagon.
Yeah kinda the pot and the kettle. Bush is lucky he didn't get impeached for war crimes.
Weren't Bush & Cheney charged with War Crimes in Europe?  I remember reading an article about that and if they go to Europe supposedly they'd be arrested.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/news/a35397/bush-cheney-war-crimes/
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Emerald Rocker

QuoteHowever, what I *do* want clarification on is whether or not (1) clamping down on visas --> (2) an increase in simply outsourcing IT development
It's hard to predict until it happens, but I would guess "no".  The reason is because pure offshore outsourcing -- as someone else already noted -- is being recognized as problematic.

At a certain company, "pure" outsourcing to offshore companies for development work has caused issues -- communication is difficult due to differences in working hours and there's a noticeable drop in quality from using onsite resources.  The only things that are still "pure" outsourced to offshore firms by this company is routine system maintenance (transmitting batch files, running database jobs, etc).

Instead of hiring domestically, the company decided to bring offshore resources to the US by way of H1-B visas.  Theoretically, these visas are intended for contract work that is not permanent OR cannot be staffed by citizens/residents.  I don't know the details of the law, but there is some penalty to keeping H1-B employees here for an extended duration.  Either it's a legal issue (visa duration) or a tax penalty.

To get around this, they bring in a team of workers from India.  When their visas are about to expire, they bring in a new team from India.  There is a two-week overlap for training.  The original team leaves.  And when the new team's visas are about to expire, the original team is brought back on new H1-B visas.

By doing this rotation, the H1-B process can be used to replace citizen/resident workers permanently.   Companies do this because it's cheaper than hiring citizens/residents (since payment is administered through the offshoring firm, and not directly to the H1-B workers).  This has been going on for years.

This process saves companies money, but it removes domestic jobs from the marketplace.  This is particularly prevalent in the IT industry (which does not require the level of expertise for which the H1-B program was originally envisioned).  At this one company, I feel reasonably confident that due to quality issues they would opt to hire domestically if the H1-B program were restricted or re-tooled.  But I have no idea how the industry at large would react.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

ToyMachine78

Gredler

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

BigusSchmuck

This is fucking hilarious what John Oliver did.
And the abridged version.

jlued686

BlueBMW

Even with everything going on, Trump's supporters are still over the top committed to the guy.  He can do no wrong in their eyes
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

LostFlunky

How about we check in on what Flynn is up to in 5-6 years.  I am betting he has a nice job at a Trump offshoot...  First one to fall on his sword...

esteban

Quote from: KingDrool on 01/26/2017, 12:45 PM
I just had to say—this was literally the inspiration for the most recent Le Doodle!

Thanks again for posting this!

I thought "jluedke" was the one who posted it.

:)

jlued686

I finally took my name back! Long story, years and years ago something got jacked up with my account and when Aaron fixed it, he changed my username to the first part of my email address. Now that Necro's a mod, I finally got it fixed. Thanks again Necro!

esteban

Quote from: KingDrool on 02/15/2017, 04:33 PMI finally took my name back! Long story, years and years ago something got jacked up with my account and when Aaron fixed it, he changed my username to the first part of my email address. Now that Necro's a mod, I finally got it fixed. Thanks again Necro!
Ha!

I have messed up so many different folks over the years, trying to follow the name changes... I am glad I did not  mess up your name <--> moniker.

jlued686

Alright Trump supporters, I'm gonna need you to watch today's press conference (or whatever the hell that was supposed to be) and take your best shot at convincing me he's not a fucking lunatic. You don't even need to defend the last week of insanity. Just today's press conference.
The floor is yours.

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 02/16/2017, 02:17 PMAlright Trump supporters, I'm gonna need you to watch today's press conference (or whatever the hell that was supposed to be) and take your best shot at convincing me he's not a fucking lunatic. You don't even need to defend the last week of insanity. Just today's press conference.
The floor is yours.
Whelp, not a Trump fan, seriously sick of talk about Trump and politics in general, but I've read enough from Trump fans online that I think I can take a crack at this.

"LOL More winning!! He's trolling the media! No one has ever had the balls that Trump does! Best president in history!! #MAGADRAINTHESWAMPPRAISEKEKSORRYYOURGALLOSTCUCKBETAFAKENEWS"

Emerald Rocker

QuoteAlright Trump supporters, I'm gonna need you to watch today's press conference (or whatever the hell that was supposed to be) and take your best shot at convincing me he's not a fucking lunatic. You don't even need to defend the last week of insanity. Just today's press conference.
Trump's press conference was amusing but not nearly as interesting as people are making it out to be.  His demeanor and delivery was so calm.

Now, I need you to play Bonk's Revenge and convince me that it's not trash.  No need to defend any of Hudson's other insanity like China Warrior, just defend Bonk's Revenge.

I won't tell you what I didn't like about the game.  Just focus on the game's obvious shortcomings and tell me why it's okay for the game to be so flawed.

esteban

Emerald!

Please tell me you watched the ICFTD LeDoodle...I think you will like it.

I don't need any feedback other than "yes" or "no"  :)

mitsuman

I was watching Stephen Colbert yesterday while eating dinner. Of course, like the past however many days/weeks/months, he spent his monologue attacking trump.
I was fine with it until he got to the part of the press conference where he told the reporter to invite the CBC to meet with him(trump).

I turned it off. That was COMPLETELY blown out of proportion. She was asking about it, and in typical trump fashion, he said, "well why don't you do it!"
It wasn't a "hey, you're black so you must know all other black people" thing.
I explained to my wife it is like when we are driving somewhere, she tells me where to turn, and I ask if she wants to drive. I'm tired of her telling me, so I sarcastically tell her to do it. That is what trump did.
The whole thing was completely blown out of proportion and taken out of context.

Now that I've said that, let me say this.

I can't stand the guy. He and his cabinet will be the beginning of the downfall of the US. He is a misogynistic, entitled, racist, douchebag who has no business being in politics.
If we are going to fight against him and his cabinet of idiots, we need to do it properly. Stop manufacturing things to attack him on. We all know he's a racist. We all know he's a sexist pig. We know all of the horribleness that he is.

We need to attack/protest against the things that are important. DeVos's voucher system needs to be stopped. Bannon needs to be taken down. Pence needs to be stopped from spreading theocratic type governing.

Stop blowing things out of proportion and focus on the things that actually matter and will effect us for years to come.

esteban

Quote from: mitsuman on 02/18/2017, 09:29 AMDeVos's voucher system needs to be stopped. Bannon needs to be taken down. Pence needs to be stopped from spreading theocratic type governing.
I knew we agreed on stuff. :)

TheClash603

Quote from: guest on 02/18/2017, 10:54 AM
Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 02/18/2017, 02:39 AM
QuoteAlright Trump supporters, I'm gonna need you to watch today's press conference (or whatever the hell that was supposed to be) and take your best shot at convincing me he's not a fucking lunatic. You don't even need to defend the last week of insanity. Just today's press conference.
Trump's press conference was amusing but not nearly as interesting as people are making it out to be.  His demeanor and delivery was so calm.

Now, I need you to play Bonk's Revenge and convince me that it's not trash.  No need to defend any of Hudson's other insanity like China Warrior, just defend Bonk's Revenge.

I won't tell you what I didn't like about the game.  Just focus on the game's obvious shortcomings and tell me why it's okay for the game to be so flawed.
It is OK for Bonk's Revenge to have some flaws with its play mechanics because it is a game, not the leader of the (currently) free world.  A paranoid psychotic megalomaniac as president of the USA doesn't get a free pass so easily, imo.
I just watched the conference at your suggestion, I did not see anything better or worse than I've seen from politicians in the 20 years I've been old enough to follow.  Which points of the video were standout problems in your opinion?  I would day Obama is a president who didn't give us a ton of sound bites because he walked the line so cautiously, so perhaps that is what you are used to now, but back up to GW and Clinton and press conferences used to have a little more to talk about.

The irony with this thread and with all similar conversations on all sides is that we are primarily a centrist country, we just let the loud voices on both sides overpower the sensible centrists.  The system has been working how it is supposed to so far, people are pushing for their side, the balances are making it so they can't go too far, everyone in the middle continues to be pretty okay.

Sadler

Quote from: TheClash603 on 02/18/2017, 12:01 PMI just watched the conference at your suggestion, I did not see anything better or worse than I've seen from politicians in the 20 years I've been old enough to follow.  Which points of the video were standout problems in your opinion? 
I know this wasn't directed at me, but calling news "very fake news", repeating bullshit ("won in a landslide!"), and bragging about how awesome he is when in reality he hasn't done much of anything yet were my problems with it. Basically he acted like a douche, and I get it. That's his personality and some people love him for it. It irritates the shit out of me, and again, I get it. Some people love the fact that he pisses off people.

He's only been in office for less than a month. I don't think the sky is falling and I don't think he'll end all of humanity. Frankly he hasn't actually done anything terrible yet aside from acting like a jackass. I'm hopeful that he'll do a great job. I just wish he'd act like an adult.

QuoteThe irony with this thread and with all similar conversations on all sides is that we are primarily a centrist country, we just let the loud voices on both sides overpower the sensible centrists.
I'm with you here. It gets old seeing meme after meme, slogan after slogan shouted at me about "god emperor trump"  just as much as it gets old being told that Trump is the worst thing that's ever happened and all his supporters are racist misogynists who want to end anything that isn't white and male.

Emerald Rocker

Quote from: esteban on 02/18/2017, 06:51 AMEmerald!

Please tell me you watched the ICFTD LeDoodle...I think you will like it.

I don't need any feedback other than "yes" or "no"  :)
No, but I will look for it now.  Thanks for the heads up!

OldRover

I'm so burned out on all this political babble that I don't even care anymore. Women still have their rights, World War 3 hasn't started, and no one's electrocuting gay people. People still have their health insurance, their food stamps, their social security, their welfare. Unions still exist. Contraception is still a thing. Walmart is still richer than all of us. The swamp still stinks. What's changed? Nothing. What's going to change? Nothing.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 02/19/2017, 10:13 AMI'm so burned out on all this political babble that I don't even care anymore. Women still have their rights, World War 3 hasn't started, and no one's electrocuting gay people. People still have their health insurance, their food stamps, their social security, their welfare. Unions still exist. Contraception is still a thing. Walmart is still richer than all of us. The swamp still stinks. What's changed? Nothing. What's going to change? Nothing.
I am not as optimistic as you.

It takes decades to change things (establish a progressive policy), yet even small/minor achievements can easily be dismantled or rendered impotent when president + Congress have common interest to do so.

As you said: we have to see if Trump + Congress will be able to dismantle important policies/guiding principles.

It certainly seems like there is enough support to do so.

Sadly, the actual consequences and damage from this administration might not be acknowledged by this country until Trump is on his way out of the office.

Plus:  if Obama was complicit (and he was) in continuing the unjust policies of Bush (and prior Presidents) (such as torture, clandestine military/intelligence operations, weakening unions, attacking teachers, supporting the war on drugs, etc)... I have little room for hope that Trump will be any different (in fact, he will be closer to Bush).

That alone is reason to care.

We (progressives) haven't recovered a lot of ground that was lost in Reagan and Clinton eras (Reagan and Clinton both successfully attacked and cut social services to those who most needed support)....

...the thought of yet another presidential term where we (progressives) have to "just deal with it" is exhausting.

We are never going to give up, but, damn, it would be nice if we didn't have to fight tooth-and-nail to maintain the most basic elements of a civilized society.

Ninguna persona es ilegal.

OldRover

I stopped caring because this is the same kind of rabble as from the right when Obama took office. I am not as susceptible to FUD as most are. With all the horseshit spread about Trump both during the election and after it, I pretty much outright dismiss anything the left-wing media says now. Cry wolf enough times and people stop listening. The left cried wolf way too much and now I don't give a damn. It's not optimism... it's realism. The right was oh so convinced that Obama was coming for their guns and yet here we are eight years later and they're even more armed than before. The right's crying wolf made me dismiss them years ago. Now it's the left's turn.

TheClash603

Quote from: OldRover on 02/19/2017, 07:59 PMI stopped caring because this is the same kind of rabble as from the right when Obama took office. I am not as susceptible to FUD as most are. With all the horseshit spread about Trump both during the election and after it, I pretty much outright dismiss anything the left-wing media says now. Cry wolf enough times and people stop listening. The left cried wolf way too much and now I don't give a damn. It's not optimism... it's realism. The right was oh so convinced that Obama was coming for their guns and yet here we are eight years later and they're even more armed than before. The right's crying wolf made me dismiss them years ago. Now it's the left's turn.
Maybe the best post I read in this whole thread.

esteban

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/19/2017, 07:59 PMI stopped caring because this is the same kind of rabble as from the right when Obama took office. I am not as susceptible to FUD as most are. With all the horseshit spread about Trump both during the election and after it, I pretty much outright dismiss anything the left-wing media says now. Cry wolf enough times and people stop listening. The left cried wolf way too much and now I don't give a damn. It's not optimism... it's realism. The right was oh so convinced that Obama was coming for their guns and yet here we are eight years later and they're even more armed than before. The right's crying wolf made me dismiss them years ago. Now it's the left's turn.
1. The media has always been pro-corporate, pro establishment—and remains so. The media is *not* left-leaning.

2. Trump's administration has made things too easy--they are making rookie mistakes. Don't confuse this (an easy target for journalism) for anything else. A sixth-grader could perform the basic fact-checking necessary to monitor the Trump Administration.

------

The media has *always* been status-quo (support the establishment, it's the path of least resistance).

The media are not supporting the left. The media are just remaining, as an institution, status-quo. They are pro-corporate interests, too, but that goes without saying, since most media are conglomerates themselves and rely on ad revenue from other conglomerates.

As a journalist, you are expected to at least "pretend" to be the fourth estate and monitor politics, if only in a rudimentary manner, and identify any obvious corruption/abuse.

Journalism is simply performing the same function they always have---and it remains just as lame now as it was ____ decades ago.

Trump and his administration could *easily* avoid a lot of criticism by carefully planning policy and controlling the message about it. Basic PR.

Basic.

I would argue that Trump has made things *far too easy* for journalists. He and his staff break basic etiquette, rules, guidelines (and sometimes laws) routinely. EASY TARGET.

Trump's administration is just making it far too easy... even the lamest, most imbecilic "journalist" can perform his/her job--they don't have to spend much time researching/investigating when a president + administration are easily contradicted by established facts.

Part II

It's *not* that the media is left-leaning, it's that the politics  and discussion in this country have shifted so far to the right... hell, a very conservative person considered a "centrist" 40 years ago can be deemed a "left-winger" these days. Of course, the person who makes this outlandish claim also thinks Breitbart is a reliable news source.

Relativity.

The media has remained the same, sadly. We always had the Daily News, which has always been sensational crap masquerading as journalism. Now Daily News has become the dominant "form" of news-esque

I would argue that the popularity of right-wing, conservative talk shows/TV shows has exploded in the last 2-3 decades, though. In that sense, the landscape has changed. But, however influential those right-wing pundits are, they are a distinct and separate category than "journalist".

So, as far as the boring, typical journalists...who aren't attached to some sensational show...they really haven't changed (as an institution).

ASIDE: Even if you don't care about "BIG ISSUES", what about stuff in the tech world? Like FCC and net neutrality and stuff like that?

OldRover

Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2017, 07:24 AMI would argue that Trump has made things *far too easy* for journalists. He and his staff break basic etiquette, rules, guidelines (and sometimes laws) routinely. EASY TARGET.
Too true, except for the laws bit. I'd actually like to know which laws Trump has broken. No one has been able to tell me so far.

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/20/2017, 07:34 AMToo true, except for the laws bit. I'd actually like to know which laws Trump has broken. No one has been able to tell me so far.
Esty included Trump's staff in that statement, and there's no question that Flynn and Conway broke the law; the former when he spoke to Russia about their response to Obama's sanctions and again when he lied to the FBI about it, and the latter when she plugged Ivanka's merchandise.

However, I won't argue that either is a big deal or that they were trying to harm US interests.  In typical bullshit politician fashion, neither were smart enough to think before acting and thought the rules didn't apply to them anyway.  They learned fast, eh?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/20/2017, 10:05 AM
Quote from: OldRover on 02/20/2017, 07:34 AMToo true, except for the laws bit. I'd actually like to know which laws Trump has broken. No one has been able to tell me so far.
Esty included Trump's staff in that statement, and there's no question that Flynn and Conway broke the law; the former when he spoke to Russia about their response to Obama's sanctions and again when he lied to the FBI about it, and the latter when she plugged Ivanka's merchandise.

However, I won't argue that either is a big deal or that they were trying to harm US interests.  In typical bullshit politician fashion, neither were smart enough to think before acting and thought the rules didn't apply to them anyway.  They learned fast, eh?
Correct, and I even tried to soften my statement by including it at the end of a list that began with etiquette :) ... my point was that TRIVIAL THINGS are easy targets!

My advice to Trump & Co. : Don't make rookie mistakes. Period. Make your critics work hard...don't hand them ammunition.

This is basic PR.

Also: make sure all of your administration speaks one clear message (internal debate is normal and healthy, but don't present that to the public...it diminishes any sort of credibility/competency/teamwork you were hoping to project to public.

Emerald Rocker

QuoteThe media are not supporting the left. The media are just remaining, as an institution, status-quo.
The media leans left.  This was clear in 2012 and it was even more clear in 2016.  I don't know how you can dispute this, unless you're suggesting that Obama is the definition of centrist.  It's all relative so I can't really stop you from putting the center wherever you want.

As an example of their leanings, NBC News just released a propaganda video of children lecturing Trump on immigration and refugees.  The media will never play nice with Trump as long as he represents the "wrong" policy positions -- the positions that got him elected.

I don't disagree with the suggestion that his administration could use more discipline around messaging.  Politics is a constant PR campaign.  But I'll add that any such efforts should speak to voters directly; trying to please the media would be a mistake.

Quotethere's no question that Flynn and Conway broke the law; the former when he spoke to Russia about their response to Obama's sanctions
I'll grant you Conway -- but it's not clear that Flynn broke the law, since discussion of sanctions isn't necessarily illegal.  No one has ever been prosecuted for violating the Logan Act (in large part because conversations like this are supposedly normal for incoming administrations), so we may never know the boundary between legal and illegal.

mitsuman

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 02/20/2017, 09:43 PMThe media leans left.
I go more towards being liberal than a conservative, and even I can see this.
But sometimes it even gets annoying. But again, all media is corporate media. I haven't researched lately, but there are 6 or so corporations that run all of the mass media outlets. You aren't going to get unbiased, honest journalism that way.

NecroPhile

The media leans left overall, but there's right leaning outlets (Fox) and centrist outlets (BBC) as well.  The bigger issue is that they ARE NOT straight news sources, nor have they ever been.  Nobody can fill 24 hours of air time without sensationalizing everything, digging for more dirt, debating what it all means, and using off the record, unverifiable sources.

BigusSchmuck

Wondering when Trump will get his own bad techno song? Apparently Putin has one:
Thanks John Oliver!

BigusSchmuck

Dicer

esteban

You folks who think the media lean LEFT are, sadly, mistaken:

(1) mainstream media in US is unabashedly in support of pro-corporate and status quo establishment perspectives/policies.

(2) please review some basic research on media studies...content analysis of the "experts" used in journalism/news stories are overwhelmingly government officials, military/former military officials, representatives from corporations, analysts from conservative/centrist think tanks, etc. Current/former spokesmen for police, state prosecutors, etc.

This research *literally* quantifies the level of left-centrist-right political views represented in the media. These analyses also, repeatedly, point out that the perspectives that are given the *most* credence and authority are most certainly *not* from the left.

Media studies started with newspaper journalism but expanded into radio/tv and now internet news sources/reporting.

You can tease me, but your view of the "left" is completely skewed if you think that the current state of popular media in the U.S. "Leans to the left".

It's actually insulting.

The "left", my "left" is not consistently nor accurately represented in any popular/mainstream media.

I WISH IT WAS.

Jesus, I wish it was.

No, we have a pathetic fucking farce of a "political discourse" on this country.

Personally, one of the biggest problems facing our nation, as I see it, is how the Democrats (who were centrist, at best) shifted right (especially with Clinton in 90's. He did so much damage, he ushered in  Republican-lite era ).

Obama was not progressive, overall, sadly. He really was status quo. Anyone who complains about Obama being too liberal is an idiot. He was *not* liberal *enough*

Ha!

I am sure you disagree.

That's OK.

I still love you :)

Otaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

mitsuman

Quote from: Otaking on 03/12/2017, 06:34 PM
I wasn't going to watch the info Wars video, but I did.

So he blames fake news on mainstream media, which the term has been pushed by the Trump administration. He said the people claiming fake news are just afraid of criticism and questioning, which again, is being pushed by the Trump administration. That's why he banned the handful of news outlets from the White House briefings. He said mainstream media is trying to silence the public online presence, when the Trump administration is basically handing over the control of the internet to the huge corporate internet providers.
Then he said the aliens in the SNL skit were supposed to be the Russians...I couldn't watch any more.

mitsuman

Quote from: esteban on 03/08/2017, 08:04 PMYou folks who think the media lean LEFT are, sadly, mistaken:

(1) mainstream media in US is unabashedly in support of pro-corporate and status quo establishment perspectives/policies.

(2) please review some basic research on media studies...content analysis of the "experts" used in journalism/news stories are overwhelmingly government officials, military/former military officials, representatives from corporations, analysts from conservative/centrist think tanks, etc. Current/former spokesmen for police, state prosecutors, etc.

This research *literally* quantifies the level of left-centrist-right political views represented in the media. These analyses also, repeatedly, point out that the perspectives that are given the *most* credence and authority are most certainly *not* from the left.

Media studies started with newspaper journalism but expanded into radio/tv and now internet news sources/reporting.

You can tease me, but your view of the "left" is completely skewed if you think that the current state of popular media in the U.S. "Leans to the left".

It's actually insulting.

The "left", my "left" is not consistently nor accurately represented in any popular/mainstream media.

I WISH IT WAS.

Jesus, I wish it was.

No, we have a pathetic fucking farce of a "political discourse" on this country.

Personally, one of the biggest problems facing our nation, as I see it, is how the Democrats (who were centrist, at best) shifted right (especially with Clinton in 90's. He did so much damage, he ushered in  Republican-lite era ).

Obama was not progressive, overall, sadly. He really was status quo. Anyone who complains about Obama being too liberal is an idiot. He was *not* liberal *enough*

Ha!

I am sure you disagree.

That's OK.

I still love you :)
I get where you are coming from, and agree for the most part. I'm saying they lean left of center, for the most part. I agree, it's not the true "left", because, as you mentioned, it is all corporate controlled. "Conservative" media outlets are generally looked on as almost fringe reporting.

I gave up on mainstream media YEARS ago. I rarely take one single article at its word. I'll do other reading on some if before I make my mind up.

And yes, the left is way more to the right then it used to be. I remember when Gore ran (and won...) against Bush. It was like watching the two same guys run for president. They seemed to be just slightly different.
That's why when Obama came into the picture, he did so well. But then, like you, a lot of people were let down by his nearly do nothing, pushover type attitude and track record. I voted for him twice. The first time was out of hope and excitement. The second time was more of because he wasn't Mitt Romney.

Otaking

All gone kind of relitively quiet on the Donald Trump front.
Where's the BIG changes he promised soon as he got into office??
Where's the wall?????
Where's the healthcare reform??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Otaking on 03/18/2017, 11:13 AMAll gone kind of relitively quiet on the Donald Trump front.
Where's the BIG changes he promised soon as he got into office??
Where's the wall?????
Where's the healthcare reform??
You forgot the alleged wiretapping. As far as healthcare reform...