@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

THE FINAL TURBO SHOWDOWN

Started by guyjin, 03/25/2008, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEST TURBOGRAFX GAME EVER?

Air Zonk
3 (9.4%)
Blazing Lazers
1 (3.1%)
Bonk's Adventure
1 (3.1%)
Bonk's Revenge
2 (6.3%)
Dragon's Curse
1 (3.1%)
Dungeon Explorer 2
2 (6.3%)
Gate of Thunder
5 (15.6%)
Lords of Thunder
8 (25%)
Neutopia
0 (0%)
Ys Book I & II
9 (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

guyjin

Composed of the winners/tied for first of the previous 7 polls. Which of these is the best of the best?

interesting stats:

4 out of 10 are shmups; 3 of 10 are platformers; the remaining 3 could be described as RPGs.

All 10 were Developed, produced, or published, by Hudson Soft in Japan, according to PCEDaisakusen.
(this was not the only option: for example, Namco(t) games are listed as NEC / Namco.)
5 involved RED.

2 were ports from other systems.

According to this (imho, bizzaro) price guide:
http://www.jerseygames.com/downloads/index.htm
buying all these games today (in original case, with instructions) would set you back roughly $330.
(note that Gate of Thunder and Dungeon Explorer 2 are not listed, and therefore not included in that figure.)
the cheapest is Neutopia, at $23; the most expensive is Air Zonk, at $130.

Sinistron

Best Turbo Grafx game ever poll- with no Soldier Blade???

[-X
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Joe Redifer

I was going to vote for Dragon's Curse, but that's not really a Turbo game... it's a Sega Master System game.

Sinistron

Yeah!  =D>  Let's see how many of us can cram up this poll without voting!!!

Protest!  =;  No Soldier Blade, no forking vote!  Mutherforkers!  :-

reviewsoldierbladeduo-2.jpg reviewsoldierbladeduo-2.jpg
wayback.defunctgames.com/pic/reviewpics/reviewsoldierbladeduo-2.jpg

no Soldier Blade, no vote! no Soldier Blade, no vote! no Soldier Blade, no vote! etc., etc., etc., etc...
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

guyjin

Sorry, Soldier blade wasn't even the best game of '92, much less ever. Whining will get you nowhere.  [-X

Sinistron

Horse apples!  Surely the hucards should be represented by the TG-16 titles on the top ten hucard survey?  (the results of which were

1- BLAZING LAZERS
2- DUNGEON EXPLORER
3- NINJA SPIRIT
4- MILITARY MADNESS
5- SOLDIER BLADE
6- PARASOL STARS
7- STREET FIGHTER II
8- BONK'S ADVENTURE
9- LEGENDARY AXE
10- BONK'S REVENGE

...and oh lookee there SOLDIER BLADE coming in at #5!!!)

[-(                                                                                  :)

BUT yeah I get it...  NOT MY SURVEY!! Harumph I tell ya.  Harumph!
IMG

nat

Picking the "best game evar" is too hard, so I went with the lil' guy that started it all-- Bonk's Adventure.

OldRover

Soldier Blade is a decent game but doesn't hold a candle to Blazing Lazers, Gate Of Thunder, Lords Of Thunder, or Air Zonk. However, I'm not sure why Dragon's Curse is even on this list...the rest of the games on this list bury it about fifty feet under solid rock in just about every way.

nat's right though...this one's not easy. For me though, I have to look at each game from a technical point of view and decide based on that. Having said that, I have to cast my vote for Lords Of Thunder. In terms of playability, appearance, audio experience, and overall presentation, it's the highest quality game on this list, with Gate Of Thunder taking a very close second.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Sinistron

Soldier Blade burns Lazers!  Doesn't burn the CD titles though- but for a chip- gawwdamn!!!  that there's a hot dawwg!!  :dance:

Anywho- the problem with making a poll out of the "Best of so and so year" winners is that some years are stronger than others- so a number two or even a three from one year can be stronger than the number 1 from another year.

That said- I'll stop my crying and vote.

Ys I & II for introducing me to the wonderful world of CD gaming.  =D>
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/25/2008, 04:02 PMI was going to vote for Dragon's Curse, but that's not really a Turbo game... it's a Sega Master System game.
I was going to say that I was going to vote for Ys I & II, but that's not really a Turbo game... it's a Sega Master System game... that's really a computer game.

But I couldn't vote DEII over it. So yes I did vote for Ys. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

Dragon's curse/Wonder boy III should be on every console. Ever. Even the 2600 and channel F.

Turbo D

I think that its a decent list. The choice was easy for me because the greatest game of all time was on it.

AirZonkEncryptedU-001.png
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/photodavid/AirZonkEncryptedU-001.png
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Sinistron

yeah guyjin- magnavox odyssey would've had a kicking dragon's curse!  :D
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: natPicking the "best game evar" is too hard, so I went with the lil' guy that started it all-- Bonk's Adventure.
Correct, Bonk started it all.  It was the very first game for the PCE!   :-k

Mobius

I don't understand how Neutopia can be on the list instead of Neutopia 2.  2 is better in every way.

Anyway, voted Gate of Thunder before I thought too hard and confused myself.  Too many good games on the list.

runinruder

I think I'd rank them like this:

Ys Book I & II
Blazing Lazers
Gate of Thunder
Dungeon Explorer II
Bonk's Adventure
Lords of Thunder
Dragon's Curse
Air Zonk
Neutopia
Bonk's Revenge

I think all of these games are great except for the last two (which I still like well enough).
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldRover

Neutopia II is a great game but a bit buggy. Of course, I know of a couple of glitches in the original as well. The original is just slightly better IMO.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

OceanBlueKirby

From this list, Guyjin, will the stand-out TurboGrafx-16 compete with the most voted-for PC Engine game in order to bring THE ULTIMATE DUEL OF THE BEST GAME OF THE SYSTEMS ? That would be a tough fight indeed if it were to be true :).

For this, I had picked Air Zonk to be the most excellent game on the system. It was just a LITTLE ahead of Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder. Its fantastic soundtrack is something I could listen to all day, and gets me excited all the while, as well. I can bet that it plays just as exciting, too.

Practically all of the entries are good games to choose, and I remember voting for some of them in the past, also :P.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

SignOfZeta

I voted Ys 1&2. Solider Blade or whatever doesn't really matter to me since even if the entire worldwide TG/PCE library were included I'd probably still vote for Ys 1&2 with the only other real contender's being Drac X, GoT, and LoT.
IMG

Sinistron

Yeah I was just playing with him- there's games I'd vote over Soldier Blade too- all the ones you listed.
IMG

Turbo D

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 03/25/2008, 11:48 PMFrom this list, Guyjin, will the stand-out TurboGrafx-16 compete with the most voted-for PC Engine game in order to bring THE ULTIMATE DUEL OF THE BEST GAME OF THE SYSTEMS? That would be a tough fight indeed if it were to be true :).
hmmm, I'm thinking it will be AirZonk vs. PcDenjin. What do you guys think  :mrgreen:

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 03/25/2008, 11:48 PMFor this, I had picked Air Zonk to be the most excellent game on the system.
8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

OldRover

As good a game as Ys I & II is, it really doesn't showcase the system very much. Its high point is its soundtrack, which can be done on any CDROM-based system. From a technical point of view, the game is rather primitive. Yeah it's loads of fun regardless, but could never be considered the top game for the system.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Mobius on 03/25/2008, 09:27 PMAnyway, voted Gate of Thunder before I thought too hard and confused myself.  Too many good games on the list.
Same here, except I picked Lord o' Thunder instead.

Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/26/2008, 01:58 AMAs good a game as Ys I & II is, it really doesn't showcase the system very much. Its high point is its soundtrack, which can be done on any CDROM-based system. From a technical point of view, the game is rather primitive. Yeah it's loads of fun regardless, but could never be considered the top game for the system.
Perhaps they're picking the best game, not the best tech. demo.  I'll take fun over fancy any day, though it's great if it has both.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 03/26/2008, 10:17 AMPerhaps they're picking the best game, not the best tech. demo.  I'll take fun over fancy any day, though it's great if it has both.
LoT HAS both. Both LoT and Ys I & II are fun, equally so I'd say. But since this isn't just about what game is the most fun but about what game is the BEST, you have to consider ALL facets of the games in question. That being said, LoT is clearly superior to Ys I & II. They're both mad fun, but LoT features superior visuals, sounds, and overall presentation. As I said before...although Ys I & II is a fun game, underneath it's very primitive and therefore isn't "best game" material.

turbokon

LOT without a doubt. Awesome graphic, rocking sound track, and totally fun to play.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

spenoza

I just had to vote for Gate. It has the most consistent and fun play experience of the titles and is a high quality production all around. I can't find anything I don't like about the game except perhaps the way Magic Engine emulates the sound effects (they're off from the original by quite a bit).

Whereas every game on the list has most elements in place, Gate has them all in place. It's a tough match, but not tough enough.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: nat on 03/25/2008, 06:33 PMPicking the "best game evar" is too hard, so I went with the lil' guy that started it all-- Bonk's Adventure.
Bonks Revenge is what I voted for when this poll started. If I wanted to choose  a game that anyone could get into and enjoy,its the one. I don't know anyone who wouldn't play Bonk and enjoy it,but he other titles,while all are great,are not for everyone sometimes.

Sparky

im giving it to Air Zonk, all around unique and a hell of a lot of fun to play. Was hard to choose!!! so much goooood stuff there.

CrackTiger

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 03/26/2008, 10:40 PMBonks Revenge is what I voted for when this poll started. If I wanted to choose  a game that anyone could get into and enjoy,its the one. I don't know anyone who wouldn't play Bonk and enjoy it,but the other titles,while all are great,are not for everyone sometimes.
I agree. Its the most balanced and well-rounded of the three games.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

There was a Tie which never broke. I've locked the poll, and declared Lords of Thunder and Ys book I & II the tag-team winners of the final turbo showdown. hooray for ties.  :dance:

turbofan1

Quote from: OldRover on 03/26/2008, 05:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/26/2008, 10:17 AMPerhaps they're picking the best game, not the best tech. demo.  I'll take fun over fancy any day, though it's great if it has both.
LoT HAS both. Both LoT and Ys I & II are fun, equally so I'd say. But since this isn't just about what game is the most fun but about what game is the BEST, you have to consider ALL facets of the games in question. That being said, LoT is clearly superior to Ys I & II. They're both mad fun, but LoT features superior visuals, sounds, and overall presentation. As I said before...although Ys I & II is a fun game, underneath it's very primitive and therefore isn't "best game" material.
I could never understand why everyone holds Ys I&II in such high regard. Could be that everyone just tries to agree with everyone else. That and I never thought that GOT was that great of A game. As far as the best turbo game, I would go with Bonks Revenge or Legendary AX II. Even though legendary ax II is not on the list.

nat

Quote from: turbofan1 on 05/22/2008, 09:00 PM
Quote from: OldRover on 03/26/2008, 05:28 PM
I could never understand why everyone holds Ys I& II in such high regard.Could be that everyone just tries to agree with everyone else.
Maybe, I've wondered about that myself.... But I think the real reason is that in 1989 when Ys first came out, it was revolutionary-- both technically and experience-wise. There wasn't anything like it on a home console. Many of the folks here first played the game "back then" and there is a lot of nostalgia and fond memories at work.

I didn't play through the game myself until 2007 because when I was younger I wasn't into RPGs, on any level. I only started playing RPGs at all within the last 5 years. Needless to say, I was somewhat underwhelmed when I finally *did* play through it last year. The cinemas look nice, but the in-game graphics are dated and glitchy (especially in part 2). Gameplay wise it's OK, although there are many far better RPGs on the system. The music ranged from good to really good. I have yet to play through part 4, but out of the first couple games, part 3 seems to be far and away the best (despite it's short length, non-existent difficulty and technical flaws).

spenoza

I played Ys 1 & 2 a few years after it came out, and while I found the music fantastic I just couldn't get with the gameplay style. It was surely revolutionary at the time, but it doesn't hold up as well as I'd like. Perhaps the gameplay method was a hair too experimental.

Keranu

I first played Ys Book I & II back in 2002 and after finishing Ys II, I was blown away. One of my favorite games to this day.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"