@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Apothecary

Started by _Paul, 02/22/2014, 06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClodBusted

The sprite as it is would be suited well to a classic graphic adventure ( Leisure Suit Larry), but not to action or platforming games.

_Paul

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 04:46 AMThe sprite as it is would be suited well to a classic graphic adventure ( Leisure Suit Larry), but not to action or platforming games.
How do you figure that?

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 09/09/2014, 02:22 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/08/2014, 11:45 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/08/2014, 02:45 PMBoobs are lowered. The YT framerate makes it look more jittery than it is.
My personal opinion is that that is an improvement. I have no idea if anyone else agrees, but I do prefer the changes.
I'm inclined to agree.
I PREFER NEW BOOB PLACEMENT.

BETTER THAN SHOULDERBOOBS.

PLEASE MAKE SANTA SPRITE WITH BOUNCING BELLY ("like a bowlful of jelly") AND SAGGY WHITE MAN ASS (no bounce, just cottage cheese + translucent skin).

Thank you.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

_Paul

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 05:04 PMYou love a belly bounce.

Chubby Gristle - ZX Spectrum Walkthrough 1/3
Hahahahaha. What is that creature supposed to be. He appears to have wings when he climbs up/down.  What?!

_Paul

I've sent Orion a 90% complete set of maps and BG tiles, as well as maps with markers for enemy locations and movement. He should be ready to start up again soon so hopefully we'll see some major progress in the next few weeks.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2014, 03:23 PMI've sent Orion a 90% complete set of maps and BG tiles, as well as maps with markers for enemy locations and movement. He should be ready to start up again soon so hopefully we'll see some major progress in the next few weeks.
Awesome.  IMG

NecroPhile

Suh-weet!  I can't wait to see it.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

Background tiles are in. Still plenty of fiddling to do with collision boxes until I feel comfortable with it.

PC Engine: Apothecary 14/10/2014 - Background artwork now in

HailingTheThings

This looks sick, would love to have a finished game.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/14/2014, 02:22 PMBackground tiles are in. Still plenty of fiddling to do with collision boxes until I feel comfortable with it.

PC Engine: Apothecary 14/10/2014 - Background artwork now in
Fantastique. You will hate me for saying this, but I feel like her arms are too limp/passive when she walks...just a slight tweak to make her seem more assertive and deliberate would be great.

But, even if the sprite remains the same, the game looks splendid. I love it.  :pcgs:

VestCunt

Quote from: esteban on 10/14/2014, 08:45 PMFantastique. You will hate me for saying this, but I feel like her arms are too limp/passive when she walks...just a slight tweak to make her seem more assertive and deliberate would be great.

But, even if the sprite remains the same, the game looks splendid. I love it.  :pcgs:
I don't know, limp/passive sprite arms = limp/passive game. DEAR GOD FIX THE ARMS!
Topic Adjourned.

_Paul

I hate animating stuff. I might try to make her arms swing out a little more than they do now. I don't want her too dynamic because she's supposed to be walking and not running, so she'd look like she was having a fit or something.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2014, 03:47 AMI hate animating stuff. I might try to make her arms swing out a little more than they do now. I don't want her too dynamic because she's supposed to be walking and not running, so she'd look like she was having a fit or something.
Agreed, don't have her swinging her arms too much. In fact, presently, perhaps there is too much movement (swing) from elbow to wrist/hand. That is, her forearm is "hanging" + swinging from her elbow—

I think this is the main thing: instead of her arms "hanging" from her shoulders (or her forearm "swinging" from her elbow), have a subtle, but deliberate, shoulder-shifting-forward + upper arm follows suit + forearm (I don't know what will look good, maybe the forearm could be 1-2 pixels more dynamic than shoulder+upper arm shift).

Anyway, I love your work and I know that the subtleties (of animating sprites) can be quite frustrating.  IMG

:pcgs:

Orion_

If you stop to this kind of detail, the game will never be released :)
I think we might make some concession in order not to spend another year on this project.

NecroPhile

Instead of arm swing, how 'bout she reach up and honk one of her luscious hooters every few steps?  :mrgreen:

DeshDildo

This is awesome!  I wish I had the skills of you super smart software wizards so I could contribute to stuff like this.  I just need to kick myself in the ass and learn it.  I'm just tarded with coding and software.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

_Paul

Quote from: Nulltard on 10/15/2014, 09:13 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/15/2014, 03:47 AMI hate animating stuff. I might try to make her arms swing out a little more than they do now. I don't want her too dynamic because she's supposed to be walking and not running, so she'd look like she was having a fit or something.
look to crest of wolf/riot zone for inspiration on animating a natural walking style.
I hope that was a joke.

_Paul

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2014, 11:20 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/15/2014, 11:16 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/15/2014, 09:13 AM
look to crest of wolf/riot zone for inspiration on animating a natural walking style.
I hope that was a joke.
WHY?

IMG
I remember EGM rating Riot Zone, & stating how Tony walked like he had a rock in his shoe! :D
IMG

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 10/15/2014, 11:20 AMIMG
I see absolutely no problem with this. Every game should be this fluid.
IMG

esteban

I want the gal in Apothecary to do pirouettes as she walks.

Marll

Late to the party here, but I agree, new boob placement looks much better.

I think that if her arms swung a little bit less at the elbow and just a bit more at the shoulder it would be just about right.

Looking forward to seeing more developments of this.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

seieienbu

I'm just gonna leave this here...

IMG
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

_Paul

UPDATE: After a worrying email from Orion in December, followed by silence, Apothecary was in danger of being canned once again.

Thankfully, Arkhan has stepped in and development is now returning 'in-house' to Aetherbyte. This does mean we're starting from scratch but it stands a much greater chance of being completed now.

If it gets almost cancelled again I will punch somebody.

cjameslv

DAT SPRITE!! How did i miss that sprite? This is my new sig!

_Paul

I approve of that signature.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2015, 07:45 AMUPDATE: After a worrying email from Orion in December, followed by silence, Apothecary was in danger of being canned once again.

Thankfully, Arkhan has stepped in and development is now returning 'in-house' to Aetherbutt. This does mean we're starting from scratch but it stands a much greater chance of being completed now.

If it gets almost cancelled again I will punch somebody.
I thought you were referring to "Orion" as "IP holder" and not "indie developer".

Phewwwwww.

Good luck.

Arkhan can do this. :)

NecroPhile

Good, ark needs this to work on instead of some gaylord shite for eurofucktard computers.  :mrgreen:

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2015, 11:05 AMGood, ark needs this to work on instead of some gaylord shite for eurofucktard computers.  :mrgreen:
Agreed!
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Arkhan Asylum

ITS JAPFUCKTARD COMPUTERS YOU DICKS.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/03/2015, 04:27 PMITS JAPFUCKTARD COMPUTERS YOU DICKS.
Yeah and after that we're quitting it all to make games for the Dragon 32.

NecroPhile

Made in Japan but mostly only eurofags care about it any more.

_Paul

Nah we were all into Spectrum and C64. Nobody here cared about the MSX.

NecroPhile

Isn't msx.org a euro run site?  It was their dev contest and Inferno to which I was referring.

_Paul

Probably those oddballs on the main continent. We have nothing to do with those types.

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 02/04/2015, 04:16 PMProbably those oddballs on the main continent. We have nothing to do with those types.
+1

shubibiman

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/15/2014, 07:19 AMI'm just gonna leave this here...

IMG
Thanks for reminding me how Rob Liefeld sucks :p
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

seieienbu

Quote from: shubibiman on 02/05/2015, 02:23 AMThanks for reminding me how Rob Liefeld sucks :p
The gif of the Riot Zone bro walking reminded me of that picture which in turn reminds me of some neo-cubism or something.  ...or so I imagine.  I only know that word because of this Calvin and Hobbes.

IMG
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

Quote from: shubibiman on 02/05/2015, 02:23 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 12/15/2014, 07:19 AMI'm just gonna leave this here...

IMG
Thanks for reminding me how Rob Liefeld sucks :p
Captain Bosom.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/04/2015, 03:56 PMIsn't msx.org a euro run site?  It was their dev contest and Inferno to which I was referring.
1) MSX.org is run by retards
2) The contest Inferno was in was #msxdev's compo, run by some highly intelligent sonsafucks.

They were helpful in some initial MML stuff which led to Squirrel happening, so, MSX is srs bidniss.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

/tmb_1709_480.jpg

srs bsns
IMG

NecroPhile

You mean srs ghey.

OBEY or GTFO!  :mrgreen:

_Paul

As people have been asking, here's the final update on Apothecary, or more of a history of the progress:

First it was at Aetherbyte, until we decided that it was a big project and would just be too long before we started and finished it given all the other stuff we had planned.

So we decided to can it on the PCE, as PCE development is tortuous. Arkhan was thinking about using Unity for some PC projects so we decided to take the main elements from Apothecary and make it in retro style on PC under the name Grelox, with more features (the PCE version was designed to strip the gameplay down to the very basics to make it quicker to develop).

Part way through intial Grelox planning, Orion came along and said 'I can do Apothecary.' So I had several builds from him, general movement and mapping was done-ish, and he started on enemy movement and collisions and the object screen. At that point he seemed to have misunderstood the concept of the how the puzzles were going to work in the game and felt that he might have problems with it. I'm always open to stripping things down just to get it done, but after a few emails and a couple of months I was getting to response from him any more.

So Arkhan steps back in and we plan to start it up again at Aetherbyte. By now, I've done a lot more mapping and art on Apoothecary, but I also have a bunch of planning done for Grelox which is a very similar game (only better). Again the thought of the complexity of developing it on PCE arose and the nagging feeling that the design for Grelox was better anyway...well instead of spending years on two games almost the same (one being a worse/simpler version) I decided to just combine all the maps into Grelox and make the better of the two games.

Grelox was going to originally have a larger screen area, but I've spent so long on all the mapping that I'm not going to throw that all away. The art itself will be converted into the NES style palette along with new stuff so it won't all go to waste. So Apothecary had basically been merged with Grelox and we should be able to get a result perhaps years sooner than we would if we continued developing it on PCE. Besides, we also have Saber Rider to be getting on with soon.

So there you have it.

ParanoiaDragon

Ah, that's right, forgot about Orion getting involved, didn't know that didn't work out though, bummer. :(
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, as soon as I finish Infernoing, Grelox is top life-goal.

I have some basics of it in Unity.

I expect all of you to play it even though it's not on PCE.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/04/2016, 01:13 AMI expect all of you to play it even though it's not on PCE.
Sorry, no chance in robot hell.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 01/04/2016, 01:13 AMYeah, as soon as I finish Infernoing, Grelox is top life-goal.
Still no word from the "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs" guy then?

I would have thought that that would be your next priority after their successful KickStarter.

QuoteI have some basics of it in Unity.
Sorry to hear that you're moving over to the Dark Side and LEGO-block programming ... but it seems to be the primary choice these days for so many developers, and you'll like the easy availability of so much almost-free code and assets in the Unity Store.

_Paul

Saber Rider is priority #1 as soon as we get more information to be able to make a start. Until then, our next major project is Grelox (after Inferno is done).

Gredler

Quote from: elmer on 01/04/2016, 10:56 AMSorry to hear that you're moving over to the Dark Side and LEGO-block programming ... but it seems to be the primary choice these days for so many developers, and you'll like the easy availability of so much almost-free code and assets in the Unity Store.
A couple years back I worked on a couple unity games, and the flexibility had the in house programmers salivating. Being able to control so much of the engine made them prefer it over unreal when looking at a package to help quickly get games onto a mobile platform at a console level quality - prior to that they had been using purely in house tools, but unity eventually won them over. From an artists perspective it's the best tool I've used in a professional capacity, and would be stoked if my team were choosing it for their project. I would not do a personal project in unity, but for a professional product it saves so much time and allows for such customization I would completely understand its use.