RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

VG Box Art Dejavus

Started by Ninja Spirit, 08/17/2007, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja Spirit

I'd like to put a new twist to this topic.

VG box art that rips off movie posters

IMG
Snake vs. Kyle Reese

IMG
Goonies 2 / Jewel of the Nile

IMG
IMG
Contra III JPN version / Raw Deal

Keranu

There is an AWESOME Japanese site that documents a crap load of these, but I don't know the address off hand! I think I might've posted it here before, but I'll try looking for it again because there are so, so many.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

wow, those are cool. I never even knew, haha.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

esteban

Holy crap, those are awesome.

I'd like to categorize them as "inspired by" instead of "rip offs" ... :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Bloody Wolf seems to also be inspired by Raw Deal-

IMG
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 08/17/2007, 03:24 PMI'd like to put a new twist to this topic.
VG box art that rips off movie posters
IMG
Snake vs. Kyle Reese
IMG
Contra III JPN version / Raw Deal
Wow  :shock:

Where did you find these comparisons?

Joe Redifer

There is an animated GIF somewhere that shows the Contra box transforming back and forth between Alien, some Arnold movie and a Rambo movie.  It's awesome!

Contra.gif ContraFixed.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10203158126143387

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/17/2007, 06:55 PMBloody Wolf seems to also be inspired by Raw Deal-
IMG
IMG
Too me it looks a bit like the poster of the Dolph Lundgren movie Red Scorpion with the choppers in the desert background.

IMG

Ninja Spirit

Ehh yeah but what I speak of, is when two different pictures have the same identical pose.

IMG
NAM-1975/Full Metal Jacket

Joe Redifer

I can't find the animated GIF I spoke of earlier, so here is a limited JPG of what I was talking about (Alien not shown):
ContraPredator-1.jpg

I wonder why they did this so often?  Did they lack creativity?  Was it a form of subliminal advertising?

Contra.gif ContraFixed.jpg
facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10203158126143387

contra-arnold-schwarzenegger-sylvester-stallone-alien.jpg

termis

Hah, interesting stuff for sure.  And the ratio of Arnold movies that got turned into game art covers seem quite high.

CrackTiger

It looks like the artist Konami hired to do early NES covers loved to 'rip off' famous films.

Its not unusual to draw poses based on other images, but it is surprising just how much some of these artists tried to almost completely recreate some of these famous scenes.

There's an 'artist' doing covers for games like Call of Duty(?)and such right now who basically airbrushes over photos of celebrities like Russel Crowe an Pierce Brosnan very shamelessly.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Just about any artist that does art like this (box art, fantasy book covers, etc) and is going for a realistic anatomically correct look is going to use a reference of some sort. Now, the more professional ones like Michael Whelan, Boris Vallejo, Rowena Morrill, etc etc will hire their own models, and either paint using the models as a reference, or shoot photos of the models, and use those photos as a reference. Its extremely rare to paint hyper real stuff from memory.

Now, in high school art class since nobody can afford any of that pro stuff, the class just usually goes to the library and finds photos in magazines and books to crib from. Obviously with these game box artists here that method never went out of fashion, or it could be just that it was the only financially viable way of doing this.

It certainly doesn't have anything to do with lacking creativity.

BTW, there is no way that Bloody Wolf cover used the Arnold pic as a reference. Other than the fact that its a strong dude in a tank top holding a weapon, there is no relation. It was probably stolen from one of the posters of one of the thousands of other shitty macho 80s action flics
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/17/2007, 11:49 PMI can't find the animated GIF I spoke of earlier, so here is a limited JPG of what I was talking about (Alien not shown).

ContraPredator-1.jpg

I wonder why they did this so often?  Did they lack creativity?  Was it a form of subliminal advertising?
I was about to compare, that even the ending for the japanese version of contra is like the ending to the predator.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Buyatari

Outlaw Jose Wales

IMG

Outlaw Atari 2600

IMG

Ninja Spirit

Spotted another one...
"Dark Adventure" Japanese arcade flyer/Return of the Jedi theatrical poster
IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ninja Spirit

IMG

Super_contra.jpg Rambo-First-Blood-Part-II-Poster.jpg
lance-bean-super-contra-sylvester-stallone-rambo.jpg
/PP31426-EU~Rambo-First-Blood-Part-II-Posters.jpg

Keranu

Check out this site my little bro found the other day, it lists a bunch of video game look alikes. http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/a-m.html

I love how there is a David Bowie page exclusive.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Keranu on 02/22/2009, 04:16 PMCheck out this site my little bro found the other day, it lists a bunch of video game look alikes. http://thor.mirtna.org/oddities/lookalikes/a-m.html

I love how there is a David Bowie page exclusive.
Give your little bro a cookie, this site is AWEOME!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keranu

I really wish I could find this one Japanese site I found a couple years ago. It listed hundreds of these kind of similarities, it was incredible.
IMG

Keranu

Oh and here's another similar site I found a couple weeks back that deals specifically with Capcom rip offs. http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/ripofffolder/ripoffpage1.html
IMG

Sparky

this is a great thread!!!... so many good comparisons !!!  i am not worthy <<bows down>>

Tatsujin

Ninja already posted it at the beginning, but it seems to be a dead link now:

IMG

out of those i made this:

/snakereeseff2.jpg

:)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TR0N

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/22/2009, 09:20 PMNinja already posted it at the beginning, but it seems to be a dead link now:

IMG

out of those i made this:

/snakereeseff2.jpg

:)
Dead on with that even when gametrailers had the metalgear retrospective it,was stated as so.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NightWolve

Bloody Wolf was more "inspired" (AKA ripped-off) from Arnold's 1985 Commando. I honestly didn't make this exact connection all this time, I figured general 80's action muscle-bound movie star influence, sure, but that they literally stole the EXACT pose/copycat from a movie poster/promo I really didn't expect!

BloodyWolf-Versus-Commando.webp

I made this one for fun, sized-up side by side after reviewing these threads some more and patching a few lost images. I'm not sure there was a fuller poster of Arnold where his arm isn't clipped off or I would've used that instead.

A more extensive collection happened in another thread by @Tatsujin:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=8501.0

And HG101 has the most here:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

cho_aniki

That's interesting, I had never made the connection between Bloody Wolf and Commando before.

But it makes sense that the people at Data East would have loved a movie such as Commando.