OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What the PC Engine scene is missing...

Started by _Paul, 11/13/2009, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

...is remixers. The C64 music remix scene is massive, so where are all the musically talented PC Engine fans? There is so much great PCE music that is ripe for remixing, if only someone would do it.

SignOfZeta

Are there any tools available for PCE that would help with this? Doing it by ear is a pain...
IMG

_Paul

All you need is a tracker and a bit of patience...hmm some musical skill might come in handy too.

OldRover

Paranoia Dragon is remaking some Neutopia tracks for Neutopia III...does that count?
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

You know the PCE music is never remixed since you can't remix perfection!

I should record some of the stuff I do for kicks.  I play a mean China Warrior on guitar.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

I "remixed" Ys once during my tenure at OverClocked ReMix.

Ceti Alpha

Ninja Spirit is doing NES remixes with PCE audio. I don't know if he could be convinced to do some actual PCE remixes. *hint hint - nudge nudge*  :wink:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/14/2009, 11:03 AMAll you need is a tracker and a bit of patience...hmm some musical skill might come in handy too.
I have the patience, and...sorta the skill. What program(s) do you recommend though?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

for the modern day musical-fu, I say renoise or fruityloops.

Renoise if you like trackers
Fruity Loops if you like mouse driven music editing.

plus fruity loops more accurately emulates the real music hardware experience as far as knob turning/live tweaking goes.

You can press record while a song is playing and start knobbing it up and the program records all of that information and applies it to the song! 

So, if you are more used to/into real equipment, fruity loops is probably an easier adjustment and environment to get into.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

OK, let me clarify. I have all sorts of software to make music (like Fruity Loops, which I sort of outgrew a long time ago) I'm interested in getting MIDI data from PCE ROMS, or at least being able to read the notes one at a time. As I said, doing it by ear is a drag for me, personally.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2009, 08:34 AM...is remixers. The C64 music remix scene is massive, so where are all the musically talented PC Engine fans? There is so much great PCE music that is ripe for remixing, if only someone would do it.
Agreed, 2,000%.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only "official" (widely available) remixes have been... something from Bonk's Adventure and Super Star Soldier/Soldier Blade...

I remember looking for stuff a few years ago and it was... slim pickin's.

Then there was some neat stuff that darkcityproductions had years ago: some dude in central/south america did piano renditions of Valis II tunes. They were nice, from what I recall. Elegant. He only did 1-2 songs, though. I am pretty certain the Stage 1 music was the tour-de-force.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

SignOfZeta

Well...shit! That's great!

I'll be sure to let you all know if I come up with anything.
IMG

_Paul

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/15/2009, 03:59 PMWell...shit! That's great!

I'll be sure to let you all know if I come up with anything.
Cool, I look forward to hearing some.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2009, 08:34 AM...is remixers. The C64 music remix scene is massive, so where are all the musically talented PC Engine fans? There is so much great PCE music that is ripe for remixing, if only someone would do it.
I'd be remixing PCE music like crazy if I had the time, & didn't have to work on actual game music for new PCE games :)  Stuff that I love, & would love to remake are the soundtracks for Dragon's Curse, Shockman, China Warrior, Impossamole, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge(both of which you'll probably hear remixes of various songs in the semi near future), Bonk 3(just to make it more Bonky sounding), Blzing Lazers, Final Lap Twin, Legendary Axe's 1 & 2, Legend of Xanadu's 1 & 2, Ninja Spirit, Legend of Hero Tonma, Neutopia's 1 & 2(you're gonna hear some goodness in that respect), Dungeon Explorer, Air Zonk(actually did start work on the 1st level as a test, but haven't finished it), Alien Crush, Atomic Robo Kid, Bloody Wolf, Last Alert, Bravoman, Dragon Saber, Dragon Spirit, JB Harold, Keith Courage, New Adventure Island, Parasol Stars, Super Star Soldier, Talespin, Tiger Road, Veigues, Vigilante.

There are individual remixes that I have heard.  Remixes for the Legend of Xanadu's, the Star Soldiers, & even the first Shubibinman!  There's a full ost of Devil's Crush even.  But, when it comes to just random fans, it does seem bleek.
IMG

_Paul

Every couple of years I try to do some stuff myself but always end up frustrated because I just don't have a good enough ear to make music sound right. I hope you can find at least a little time to try some of those on your list PD.

Arkhan Asylum

im not one to remix stuff since I blow at it, but im perty good at remaking the stuff with synths!

www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/untitled.mp3

GUESS THAT TUNE!!!!! O_o

instruments used:

Roland SH-101
Roland Juno-6
Sequential Circuits DrumTraks

this is irrelevant to the PCE musics but I like this song and remake it every week basically lol

www.aetherbyte.com/downloadables/lov.mp3

Its Living on Video by Trans-X

Instruments:

Roland SH-101
some korg drum machine I borrowed from someone.

when I replace my thing that lets me plug my guitar into my computer, expect china warrior, whether you like it or not

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/17/2009, 12:42 AMGUESS THAT TUNE!!!!! O_o
I don't know the name of the tune (or if it even has a name), but it's from Dungeon Explorer.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 11/17/2009, 03:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/17/2009, 12:42 AMGUESS THAT TUNE!!!!! O_o
I don't know the name of the tune (or if it even has a name), but it's from Dungeon Explorer.
cool. If we lived in the same town I'd demand we make a TG/PCE tribute band. hehe  :mrgreen:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/17/2009, 03:26 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/17/2009, 12:42 AMGUESS THAT TUNE!!!!! O_o
I suppose you could call it overworld or something.

Paranoia says it reminds me of breakdancing.

SignOfZeta

IMG

Arkhan Asylum

yay. 

much nicer than my 45 minutes work on dungeon explorer overworld. :)

i like the lead especially.

_Paul

I started listening to this thinking, hmm this is quite pleasant, then the main bit kicked in and it's just awesome! I'd love to hear more of these!

Can I have permission to play this on my podcast at some point please?

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 11/25/2009, 03:38 AMI started listening to this thinking, hmm this is quite pleasant, then the main bit kicked in and it's just awesome! I'd love to hear more of these!

Can I have permission to play this on my podcast at some point please?
Of course. I have no legal claim to it anyway. :)
IMG

_Paul

esteban

My brother and I are cooking up an old-fashioned TG-16 tune. Don't get your hopes up (we suck)... but the tune promises to be at least somewhat enjoyable to all Defenders of the Faith.

Give me a few weeks, though.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/24/2009, 09:59 PMOK, here is the product of about a week's work:

Y's Battle Theme (SignOfZeta Remix)
I finally stumbled across this on the ol' flash drive and played it.  Nicely done.  =D>

P.S. - Do you like Fletch?  The first minute or so reminded me of that one.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 01/13/2010, 12:52 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/24/2009, 09:59 PMOK, here is the product of about a week's work:

Y's Battle Theme (SignOfZeta Remix)
I finally stumbled across this on the ol' flash drive and played it.  Nicely done.  =D>

P.S. - Do you like Fletch?  The first minute or so reminded me of that one.
With Chevy Chase?
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/13/2010, 04:13 PMWith Chevy Chase?
Yep, that's the one..... or was it Dr. John Cocktoasten?  :)

The beginning of your remix reminds me of the music used in Fletch/Fletch Lives.  I'm not poking fun or anything; they're just similar in my ears.

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, I'm hearing Fletch/Beverly Hills Cop(same composer). :D  BTW.....what is Y's?  I've heard of Ys, but, Y's doesn't ring a bell.....atleast, not on the Turbo anyways. :P
IMG

Tatsujin

Fletch is great. just rewatched it 2 weeks ago. will have a hear into that track at evening to re-confirm its trueness :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/13/2010, 10:15 PMBTW.....what is Y's?  I've heard of Ys, but, Y's doesn't ring a bell.....atleast, not on the Turbo anyways. :P
Do you have a copy of Dawn of Ys?  If you take a gander at the disc, you'll espy two misplaced apostrophes!

touko

I think a good tool,who's transforming pcx or bmp files to PCE tiles format with multiples palettes.

Ex a 256 colors bmp, to a 16-240 colors binary file for PCE ..

NecroPhile

Quote from: touko on 01/14/2010, 09:44 AMI think a good tool,who's transforming pcx or bmp files to PCE tiles format with multiples palettes.

Ex a 256 colors bmp, to a 16-240 colors binary file for PCE ..
A similar tool already exists.  I do not have a copy to share.

Tatsujin

i have two similar questions about photohop:

1. how to reduce colors of a picture specifically? f.e. you have a 256 color bitmap which you want to display in 128 or 64 colors, but without distorting/falsifying the base colors of the picture too much.

2. how to replace/recreate/display existing colors with dithering?

IN PHOTOSHOP CS2

thx :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

touko

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2010, 11:14 AMA similar tool already exists.  I do not have a copy to share.
:cry:
Ah, i think this is fragmare's tool ,right ???  =P~

NecroPhile

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/14/2010, 11:44 AM1. how to reduce colors of a picture specifically? f.e. you have a 256 color bitmap which you want to display in 128 or 64 colors, but without distorting/falsifying the base colors of the picture too much.
Posterize.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/14/2010, 11:44 AM2. how to replace/recreate/display existing colors with dithering?
I don't know how to do that, other than to do it by hand (that's what she said).

Quote from: touko on 01/14/2010, 12:21 PMAh, i think this is fragmare's tool ,right ???  =P~
Yep.

_Paul

You could also try 'Save for web' choose GIF and mess around with the number of colours there.

Vecanti

_Paul

That's great, there's some quite Iremmy sound in there as well. It would be cool if you could hack a PC Engine Rom and convert it to a CD game with all new audio, I wonder if that's possible.

Now, anyone fancy tackling some PCE exclusive tunes like Super Star Soldier? *wink*

esteban

Quote from: GobanToba on 01/15/2010, 09:29 PM

First try...  :-"
Yay! I like it :)

And, may I say, this is a great track to have chosen, since it's very atmospheric. I like the tunes from Ninja Spirit, in general, and though this game wasn't exclusive to PCE... it wasn't ported to any other consoles, was it? Only computers, if I recall correctly.

If I may be so bold, may I suggest that you make a "SPOOKY* MIX" (a la New Order) of Ninja Spirit Forest, heavy on the SPOOKY** and the atmosphere?  :)

More, I say, more!

* OK, it shall thus be named the "Macabre Mix"

** As in "ghastly", not "goofy".

Vecanti

It's hard to remix when they sound so good already!!  One of my favorites:

TurboXray

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/14/2010, 11:44 AMi have two similar questions about photohop:

1. how to reduce colors of a picture specifically? f.e. you have a 256 color bitmap which you want to display in 128 or 64 colors, but without distorting/falsifying the base colors of the picture too much.

2. how to replace/recreate/display existing colors with dithering?

IN PHOTOSHOP CS2

thx :)
Here's a quick way. Posterize the image, then convert the image to index color (image->mode->index color) - choose "exact" setting for color choices. Go back into the mode menu, select color table (image->mode->color table), save the current palette to whatever filename you want. Close the image and don't save any changes. Then reopen the image, goto image->mode->index color. Choose "custom" from the pulldown menu, then it'll open some generic palette file, click load and load up the palette file you created previously, click "ok" after you load the file. You'll be back into the main palette conversion screen with the dither options near the bottom. Three dither choices to choose from, but only "defusion" has a parameter you can set. It will dither with only the legal PCE colors you made before with the posterize option. Enjoy :)

Arkhan Asylum

SUPA STAR SOULJA YOU SAY?!

Thats a coincidence, as i was just dipping around with my favorite song from that game earlier.

I made this happen.

It mostly started as a drum-machine tester since the beat is awesome.

/sssdrumtest.mp3

using a roland DR-550 I found on craigslist!

_Paul

Quote from: GobanToba on 01/16/2010, 09:57 PMIt's hard to remix when they sound so good already!!  One of my favorites:

That's weird, it sounds like there are 2 tunes playing at the same time.

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/17/2010, 03:51 AMSUPA STAR SOULJA YOU SAY?!

Thats a coincidence, as i was just dipping around with my favorite song from that game earlier.

I made this happen.

It mostly started as a drum-machine tester since the beat is awesome.

/sssdrumtest.mp3

using a roland DR-550 I found on craigslist!
Haha cool. I always felt that this tune should have a choral element behind it though!

Arkhan Asylum

Oh.

I always thought it should be played with Moog synths.  lol. >_<

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/17/2010, 04:21 AMOh.

It's the bit at 26 seconds in (on your remix). The original has a sound in the background that always bring to my mind a choir giving it some.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2010, 05:12 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/17/2010, 04:21 AMOh.

It's the bit at 26 seconds in (on your remix). The original has a sound in the background that always bring to my mind a choir giving it some.
hey I guess I could see that.   Let me try noodlin around with it. Maybe I can get a choir-noise of acceptable-type

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2010, 03:51 AMIt mostly started as a drum-machine tester since the beat is awesome.

/sssdrumtest.mp3
IMG
LOVE THIS. LOVE THIS. LOVE THIS.

Let's see, I've listened to it two dozen times this morning and it hasn't lost a bit of awesome.

You must do some more stuff in this vein. You must. :)

Quote from: guest on 01/17/2010, 08:04 AMhey I guess I could see that.   Let me try noodlin around with it. Maybe I can get a choir-noise of acceptable-type
This certainly has promise (I like sunteam_paul's idea), but don't bastardize your original vision, lest you betray the synth!

Basically, you can do whatever you want :)