10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

How the heck do you pronounce "Adol"?

Started by Joe Redifer, 02/10/2016, 04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Do you say "Ay-doll" with a long A like the TurboGrafx CD games say it or do you say Aadull with a short A like Xseed says it?  It is pronounced as Aadull in Japan.

Dogi combines the two in Ys 3 on the Turbo CD by saying Ay-dull. Personally I say Adol with the long A. Here's why:

-The TuboGrafx CD Ys games are better than anything Xseed has put out.

-This is not Japan. We have no obligation to pronounce words the same way they do.

How do YOU say it?

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

IMG

NightWolve

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/10/2016, 04:16 PM-The TurboGrafx CD Ys games are better than anything Xseed has put out.
Ha, I wouldn't know boycotting all their product, but funny to hear you say that.

As to the question, because I grew up with "Ys Book I & II" after I bought a Turbo Duo and it's what made me a lifelong Ys fan, I say it the way she (Mea Martineau as Lilia) says it here:

1)Or, here she is again from the redbook audio track 37:

2)3) Incidentally, here is Thomas Haden Church's raw ADPCM clip extracted and converted to MP3 below. I wanted the best possible voice-acting samples for my dub research project (which I still wanna finish).(His only recorded line in the game BTW.)

NecroPhile

Because Turbob is the first time I heard it spoken aloud, I stick with that pronunciation.  Like dropping the f / ph off of Adolf / Adolph, presumably that would be the correct pronunciation of a Roman (Romun?) name.

If you watch the Ys anime thingy, they can't decide which pronunciation to go with.  It's usually the Japan pronunciation, but there's a few of other two pronunciations here and there.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

seieienbu

Same as everyone else, I pronounce like they did in Ys 1.  Voice acting takes the guesswork out.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

o.pwuaioc

Since Japanese law demands each letter to be their own syllable, it should be pronounced as Ah-duh-oh-la and it should be said with a perfect Japanese accent otherwise fanboys will murder you.

CrackTiger

I say "Ay-doll" when serious, but often say "Oddle" or "Oddle-ruuuu" for fun, like the opening Minea scene in Ys IV.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

martinine

I agree with Joe here. The voice acting really cements a legacy of a western pronunciation. People in China and Japan don't use the western "pronunciations" of their country name, so I think it's fine to have a westernized name for a character.

Somewhere in that logic, I think it is terribly strange/wrong that countries don't have the same name in other countries. I think it's disrespectful we don't call China and Japan by their actual names. Maybe people share that sentiment about Adol? I think it's okay with Adol because he is fiction, but with sovereign nations, I feel disrespectful of their language and culture.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

o.pwuaioc

I only pronounce Zhongguo (中國/中国) and Nippon (日本) as the ancients did, you heathens.

ParanoiaDragon

I keep going back n' forth between the Turbob & Jp pronunciations.
IMG

ClodBusted

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/10/2016, 04:16 PM-This is not Japan. We have no obligation to pronounce words the same way they do.
THIS. Agreed.

1 vote for Aydoll.

esteban

As a general rule:

I think that if a character has clear origins in a particular nation/culture/folklore/mythology/language/et cetera, then you can make an argument that the *original pronunciation* is a valid, viable option.

Ys always struck me as strongly inspired by a European setting/culture...so a "European" pronunciation is perfectly valid.

Hence, Adol should be pronounced as __________.

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 02/11/2016, 07:23 AMAs a general rule:

I think that if a character has r origins in a particular nation/culture/folklore/mythology/language/et cetera, then you can make an argument that the *original pronunciation* is a valid, viable option.

Ys always struck me as strongly inspired by a European setting/culture...so a "European" pronunciation is perfectly valid.

Hence, Adol should be pronounced as __________.
The name Valis was inspired by Valis and not some Japanese word(s) and it isn't something a Japanese person made up on their own. So the correct pronunciation isn't "Vawreesoo".

QuoteSomewhere in that logic, I think it is terribly strange/wrong that countries don't have the same name in other countries. I think it's disrespectful we don't call China and Japan by their actual names.
Except that many countries and languages have their own names for foreign places. It's no more disrespectful than speaking English at all instead of only any given country's language(s) fluently.

In the case of video games, which this topic is really about, Japan in particular calls Japan "Japan" all the time, as well as China "China".

If you somehow missed this in most games, try playing Street Fighter II.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

LostFlunky

CrackTiger

Bitd everyone I new called it Grad-ius.

DragonmasterDan

I've always used the Ys Book 1 and 2 US Pronounciation.

Are there any Sega fans using the Master System version of his name which is Aron?
--DragonmasterDan

MotherGunner

I say Add+All, like "Adderall" without the emergency room.

IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

CrackTiger

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/11/2016, 01:48 PMI've always used the Ys Book 1 and 2 US Pronounciation.

Are there any Sega fans using the Master System version of his name which is Aron?
I like to use the alternate names of various versions, like Dulk Dekt and Maficious, as I see them as alternate realities.

I hate the name Lutz and will never call Noah that, as much as I wasn't crazy about the name Noah. The worst translation I've ever seen is the original fan translation of Phantasy Star. It was supposed to be extremely accurate, while taking into consideration the inspiration of names and words. So Alis became Alyssa and not "Arisa", because Alyssa is a real western name. But they took the phonetical name of "Tyrone" and made it TYLON. How the hell can you screw that up so badly in that kind of translation which was supposed to fix that kind of stupid localization?

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/11/2016, 01:48 PMBitd everyone I new called it Grad-ius.
Yep, same, although why we thought that and not likened it to gradient I'll never know.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 02/11/2016, 03:02 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/11/2016, 01:48 PMBitd everyone I new called it Grad-ius.
Yep, same, although why we thought that and not likened it to gradient I'll never know.
I don't remember any 10 year olds talking about gradients back then. I do remember most 14 year olds needing "gradient" explained in art class.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/11/2016, 04:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/11/2016, 01:48 PMBitd everyone I new called it Grad-ius.
I don't remember any 10 year olds talking about gradients back then. I do remember most 14 year olds needing "gradient" explained in art class.
I still say Grad-ee-uss because, as a kid, I was thinking about "gladiators" from ancient Rome. It was the only logical connection I could make (warrior, combat) for a shootemup.

:)

Valis = Philip K. Dick, IIRC...I still want to read that...just because. :)

ClodBusted

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/11/2016, 01:58 PM. The worst translation I've ever seen is the original fan translation of Phantasy Star. It was supposed to be extremely accurate, while taking into consideration the inspiration of names and words. So Alis became Alyssa and not "Arisa", because Alyssa is a real western name. But they took the phonetical name of "Tyrone" and made it TYLON. How the hell can you screw that up so badly in that kind of translation which was supposed to fix that kind of stupid localization?
I've seen similar things with anime fansubs and scanlations. More often, viewers and readers will rant about name pronunciation and spelling once an official release is coming out, since they're already used to a fan translation. Little do these fans know that nowadays official translations are often done in conjunction with the original studio or artists. To make sure they're faithful in the intention on how the original creators want their characters to be named outside of Japan.

At least that's the case with more serious publishers.

TR0N

Quote from: esteban on 02/11/2016, 04:46 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/11/2016, 04:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/11/2016, 01:48 PMBitd everyone I new called it Grad-ius.
I still say Grad-ee-uss because, as a kid, I was thinking about "gladiators" from ancient Rome. It was the only logical connection I could make (warrior, combat) for a shootemup.

:)

Valis = Philip K. Dick, IIRC...I still want to read that...just because. :)
Just say it like the commercial.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec