10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The 'Worst' Video Games Box Covers Part 2

Started by CrackTiger, 06/11/2007, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

Even though I've come to expect retardation from EGM and 1up.com, I still get caught off guard with bullshit like this.

I wouldn't have even bothered even looking at their lame list, since I know they make lame choices that don't factor in a game's profile(who cares if a game no one's ever heard of has bad cover art?). But I saw part of the art of one of my favorite covers in the logo.

Although Miracle Warriors SMS has a great cover, it pales in comparison to the Mark III original.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3160154

I guess its because of dorks(not the cool kind Keranu :wink:) like these guys that wild bare breasted demons in video games have had bikini tops added to them for U.S. conversions so often over the years.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Why do they say that Crack Down cover they show is for the Genesis?  It isn't.  Not even close.  I have the US version of the game, and for one it wasn't released by US Gold, but Sage's Creation.  Keranu can vouch for me on that.  Also it has completely different artwork altogether.  I think that perhaps EGM and 1up is 100% incompetent.

Dark Fact

Snow White and the Seven Clever Boys

Genius. :)

I thought the dog on the cover of Ultimate Duck Hunting looked like a bear for a moment and I thought to myself: "If this game is about hunting ducks, why would a giant bear be in it?" :D Then I realized it was a freaking dog.

And what the fuck is a Star Wars stormtrooper doing on the cover of Crack Down? :lol:

And what the fuck is Cock'In!!! :shock:
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/11/2007, 08:54 PMI have the US version of the game, and for one it wasn't released by US Gold, but Sage's Creation.  Keranu can vouch for me on that.
Correct.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Ninja Spirit

CrackTiger

I think I've seen more crappy generic covers for GBA than any other platform.  :P

The other night I was in Walmart and they had 8 or 9 versions of Catz and Dogz, including a Dogz dressup game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

nat

HAAHAHAHHA

"Karnaaj Rally"

I bet the game is a craptacular as the cover. I'd be awful disappointed if that blue-haired guy isn't in the game.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2007, 11:14 PMI think I've seen more crappy generic covers for GBA than any other platform.  :P

The other night I was in Walmart and they had 8 or 9 versions of Catz and Dogz, including a Dogz dressup game.
Agreed, the GBA is loaded with licensed games. One time I went to Toys R Us and saw a soccer mom just literally picking up every girly licensed GBA game, including That's So Raven.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Dark Fact

Is Karnaaj some sort of East Indian grand prix? :-s

And when it comes to crap ass box art, I still say the original Mega Man takes the cake.  Geez, that boxart was vomit inducing. :-&
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

terrormask

One of the worst box covers ever is Megaman for the nintendo. Another is Microcosm for the SegaCD, because the cover literally had nothing to do with the game. Doom for the playstation had bad cover art too.

Turbo D

Quote from: Dark Fact on 06/12/2007, 01:04 AMIs Karnaaj some sort of East Indian grand prix? :-s
Its a racing game starring Karnov's son.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Ninja Spirit

IMG
As a result of this, people didn't know this was a sequel (or spiritual sequel) to Legend of Kage.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/demon-sword/
demonsword-1.png hudoumyououdenn-8.gif
demonsword-compare.png fudou-compare.png   

termis

^ Me thinks that's a rather cool-looking cover.

Seldane

I've heard great things about Karnaaj Rally actually. I've sworn to myself to NEVER try it though, if only for the title alone!!! The cover picture is dangerously ugly too.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

NecroPhile

Does anyone else think that the Karnaaj Rally cover should actually read Keranu Rally (I actually thought it did for a second).  No offense to Keranu, but that cheese looks like it would be right up your alley, so to speak.

Cock-In: Holy shit, a game about diddling chickens.  I guess that I've now seen everything.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TR0N

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 06/12/2007, 07:29 AMIMG
As a result of this, people didn't know this was a sequel (or spiritual sequel) to Legend of Kage.
Agreed i herd it was change to for how it played in the u.s.

I don't know, if that's ture or not but i wouldn't mind finding the jpn version to compare.

Of corse i don't know the title for the jpn version of demon sword  :oops:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

Quote from: nat on 06/11/2007, 11:46 PMHAAHAHAHHA

"Karnaaj Rally"

I bet the game is a craptacular as the cover. I'd be awful disappointed if that blue-haired guy isn't in the game.
...actually...its pretty damn good. Its an overheard/isometric racer kind of like Kemco's Mille Miglia, or AJGT games, RC Pro Am, whatever. The graphics in-game aren't very good (one of the cars seem to be an unlicensed bootleg of Fred Flintstone's car) but the gameplay is wonderful, and it was a budget title.
IMG

nat

I'm...... speechless.

If I ever see it in a bargain bin somewhere I'll pick it up.

elnino

There's no 'Wrst cover' topic without the legendary Bomberman US cover, muahaha, check out the blue gay on the left, it's just beyond the limit!!

IMG
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

termis

LOL.  I never really noticed that.  (I only have bomberman in JP HuCard and a 4-in-1 SCD). 

I like the serious look of the guy.  I dunno how anyone could look serious with such suits.

nat

Yeah, that one's pretty fucking funny.

I really can't bring myself to look at it for a very long duration of time.

But that cover always puzzled me-- isn't Bomberman a robot and not some douchebag in a spacesuit? And what's with the nipples on the helmets?

Quote from: elnino on 06/25/2007, 10:15 AMcheck out the blue gay on the left, it's just beyond the limit!!
I don't know if this was some kind of Freudian slip or if you meant to word it that way, but that's just too funny.

Seldane

I think he meant to word it that way. It's a common way to say it in many European languages. :P Of course, it cannot be directly translated to English that way.

That Bomberman cover is hilarious. They totally ruined Bomberman - he's not supposed to be a human with a helmet, it's an actual species of some weird sort. :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

guyjin

If i remember correctly, the manual for the NES game says he's a cyborg... Dunno if anything more recent contradicts that. :-k

td741

Quote from: guyjin on 06/25/2007, 03:58 PMIf i remember correctly, the manual for the NES game says he's a cyborg... Dunno if anything more recent contradicts that. :-k
I don' t know. I have a feeling that the cover probably had me thinking that if there was ever a Bomberman live-action movie made...  It would be something akin to sewer shark on foot.  You'd have teams of people either in gear (or cyborgs) running around sewers dropping bombs to destroy mutants in order to keep the people top-side safe.  :P

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: <TRON> on 06/12/2007, 09:55 PM

I don't know, if that's ture or not but i wouldn't mind finding the jpn version to compare.

Fudo Myouden

TR0N

Quote from: Tone on 06/25/2007, 09:06 PM
Quote from: <TRON> on 06/12/2007, 09:55 PM

Fudo Myouden
Thanks i'll have to find a copy of it one day.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: elnino on 06/25/2007, 10:15 AMThere's no 'Wrst cover' topic without the legendary Bomberman US cover, muahaha, check out the blue gay on the left, it's just beyond the limit!!

IMG
Heh i still think bomberman looks like a firefighter on the cover  :lol:
IMG

elnino

Quote from: Seldane on 06/25/2007, 02:54 PMOf course, it cannot be directly translated to English that way.
I know^^ I tried to make it look like a slip but I failed, obviously :oops:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

GUTS

Where does Robo Warrior figure into all of this?  Wasn't that a Hudson game?  He looked WAY cooler than Bomberman.

Seldane

Robo Warrior ought to be a Hudson game, because it used sound effects from Faxanadu - which is a Hudson game. :P
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Robo Warrior/Bomber King IS a Hudson game.

It's just that Jaleco localized them in the USA and Europe.