OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja Spirit

I freakin' hate when people are not responsible for their dogs. My next door neighbor once had a collie, just like Lassie. They let her run around the yard as she pleased without a chain, these people never chained her, nor a invisible electric field that my former sheriff had when he had his K-9. One day I saw her stare the grim reaper in the face, she chased a passing car, and was like AN INCH away from the left rear tire.

3 months later, similar thing happened, and this time she wasnt lucky.

I wanted to tell my neighbors off about the first time, but I felt it would just cause conflict so I just let them ride it out and suffer the consequences.

Keranu

Haha, great dog stuff here.

By the way, what's the typical cost of Godpanic?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

TR0N

Quote from: "Keranu"By the way, what's the typical cost of Godpanic?

JGS $13.00

Ebay $20.00

There ya go 8)
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TR0N

Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Quote from: "Tron"
Quote from: "PC Gaijin"
Quote from: "Tron"GC
Metroid Prime

I pickup a brand new copy a while back i figure i give this, 3d Metroid a try finally :P

It's an excellent game, one of the few standout gaming experiences I've had this generation. It's like Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time in that it pretty much perfectly translates Metroid to 3D.
Thanks this game is tough whew! The boss's in this are not a push over at all.Right now, i'm stuck on that "gaint rock boss" and you have to take him down peace by peace :twisted:

That rock boss isn't too bad, you can find some higher ground on the edges of the arena where he can't reach you while he's rolling around. Some of the later bosses are really tough. MP really reminded me of old school games in that regard. I'd fight the bosses a couple of times, get my butt kicked, and think "screw this" and give up. But an hour later I'd be back at it again, which I think is the hallmark of a great game. Very, very enjoyable game. I need to get Metroid Prime 2 sometime.

Metroid Prime, realy makes you work for the items :twisted:

I beat the rock boss finally it's just a... matter of getting the pattern down.

Right now i'm more annoeyed by the chozo ghost :evil:

Still i took a break from, MP been messing with mame as of late :)

Once in a while i get the urge for old video games.
IMG

TR0N

Mame
Contra
Super Contra:Both arcade version not the nes ones.
Asterix:Man what a silly beatem up :lol:

Dunno MP drove me nuts i needed a retro break
 :wink:
IMG

Ninja Spirit

JGS $13.00

Ebay $20.00

There ya go 8)

Is that 13 bucks after EMS shipping and paypal fees?

Keranu

JGS $13.00

Ebay $20.00

There ya go 8)
Thanks a lot, I was afraid it might've been an expensive game like Sylphia.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: "Ninja Spirit"

JGS $13.00

Ebay $20.00

There ya go 8)

Is that 13 bucks after EMS shipping and paypal fees?
That's the regular price for it yes... more if you pay for the, EMS less if you pick air mail of corse.
IMG

Keranu

To check on my current gaming status, take a look at the 3DO Thread to get a good idea ;) .
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: "Keranu"To check on my current gaming status, take a look at the 3DO Thread to get a good idea ;) .
Sorry i make a comment in there but, i'm not interested in the 3DO.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Street Fighter 2 world revision arcade pcb.Been playing it alot past 3 days.

Ninja Spirit

My Son Son II came in the mail today. Stage 2 is kicking my ass right now. Very solid platformer how I like it, it's real amusing seeing all those familiar symbols seen in many old Capcom games show up. So far I've only seen the "PoW", and is that Windmill symbol show up in the game by any chance?

Keranu

How did you even make it to stage 2? I still can't figure out how to get past bloody stage 1! I know someone posted here about beating stage 1, it just took a lot of patience or something.
IMG

Ninja Spirit

It's easy. In each stage you gotta look for a key. And be sure to buy Magic Lamps so you can continue everytime you die.

I got to stage 3 now.

I guess if I keep practicing this game I'll master it in no time. It's like after I learn a stage the first time, I'll blow right through it the next time I play. Then I might make a FAQ for Gamefaqs.

Son Son II also has a black and white code just like Sidearms.

akamichi

Just recently beat PCE Prince of Persia a few days ago.  Still a pretty good game even now.  I had the PC version a long time ago and beat that, but it seemed that that version took much longer than the PCE but I'm sure it's the same exact game.

Kinda feel like playing PoP2.  Still have the PC version somewhere in storage though.  I never beat that one.

Ninja Spirit

Hey guys I was playing Son Son II just now, and I think I got some very useful info for anyone else who owns the game.

There is a way to rack up on Zenny in stage 1 and might have enough to last through the game, that is if the game itself doesn't realize that you're racking up and jack up the shop prices in later stages.

First do the Extra continue trick on the title screen
(Up+I+Select+Run)
OR
Just simply buy a magic lamp.
Just casually kill enemies and getting fruit all the way to the part where you get the key. Then after getting the key, now go to a poison water pit and kill yourself. You'll get to continue with the same amount of Zenny you died with. Repeat the loop. Buy magic lamps on every round so that you can continue.

Admittedly, it's time consuming so pop in your favorite music CD and let it roll.

rolins

MSX
Salamander

I been playing Salamander on the MSX. It's tougher than Raiden (on the pce) and has ugly scrolling, but it's the best horizontal shooter on the MSX.

I've been trying to beat this game for 16 years now. I don't know what it is about this game, but when I was a kid I hated it. I even threw it across my bedroom wall because I couldn't pass the first level. Today, I love it.

I found the game 5 weeks ago after cleaning out my closet. I was about to put up on ebay, but I decide to keep it because I've become addicted to it.

Yesterday I finally passed the second level. I so excited. :D

Only 5 more stages to go.

OldRover

Playing AV Tanjo...or at least trying to. Got no idea wtf this game is about or how to play it, but they sure like to use a lot of nude drawings. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Ninja Spirit

Just got Gradius and Genpei Toumaden 2 (Samurai Ghost) Hucards in the mail.

Gradius kicks ass but I do have a small gripe about it. Because the force field is bigger than Vic Viper, it's hella easy to lose pretty fast.

akamichi

Beat Prince of Persia (PCE) recently.  I think i mentioned that before. :P  Also, been playing 1943 Kai.  That game is intense!  The first part isn't too bad.  Seems shorter than the arcade.  However, the PCE exclusive stages are just crazy!  Music is much better, all the gfx are redesigned from the first part, and it just seems there's a ton more stuff flying around on the screen trying to kill you.  

A minor gripe I have is that there's no stage numbers.  Don't know what stage I got to in the game because of that.  No big deal.  The "train" stage was pretty cool and intense.

TJ

Last week I got Game Paradise for the Saturn and played through that a buncha times. I also acquired the Limited Edition of MGS3: Subsistence and have been fooling around with that a bit. Next will probably be God of War cuz it's down to 20 bucks now.

With Zelda for GC delayed until fall, this year is looking pretty bleak for new releases. It's gonna be a good year to add to my collections of older stuff :)

Digi.k

doesn't the pc engine Gradius have a level thats not in the original arcade ??

Gameparadise is awesome and you can mess around with things in the options to change the gameplay.

Currently playing Thunder Force V on the Saturn.  Although I originally had this back in 1997 I didn't like it back then.  fast forward 2006 I got it again and I must say I love it now... music is brilliant and its rock hard too!  I wonder what the differences are between this and the Playstation's...

Seldane

Finally finished Illusion of Gaia today. First time in seven years. That ending almost made me cry. I love that game.

Been playing some Ys V as well. I feel that I need to play through the SFC version again before the PS2 version gets released. Damn, Ys V really rules.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Ninja Spirit

yeah Seldane, Illusion of Gaia is one of the best. The epilogue music makes the ending a tearjerker. I remember that game being so easy I could beat it in one sitting.

Quote from: "Digi.k"doesn't the pc engine Gradius have a level thats not in the original arcade ??

I was wondering that too. I've beat the NES Gradius dozens of times and yesterday on the PCE version I got to the stage I never saw before. After Stage 4 (the 2nd volcanic stage) there was a desert where you blast off the bones of dried out skeletons, I'm guessing that could be the stage you're referring to, I was too young when the arcade game came out (I was 3 in 1985)

Digi.k

Being in Europe we get everything last.. So last week I got Animal Crossing for DS after holding out from importing the USA version and current love it... I wonder how long before the obsession wanes...  Hopefully I still be playing this in years.

Digi.k

Being in Europe we get everything last.. So last week I got Animal Crossing for DS after holding out from importing the USA version and current love it... I wonder how long before the obsession wanes...  Hopefully I still be playing this in years.

Keranu

Illusion of Gaia is an excellent game. When I first played it, I was skeptical that it would be a good game because it seemed like the ordinary snerd RPG, but once you complete the first dungeon, the game really shows it's awesomeness! What I really loved about the story was how it progressed. There was so much adventure to it so after you completed this part, you were in a totally new enviroment. The part when you are in the caves and then stuck at sea is my favorite :D . I bought it last summer and beat it in about a weak. Unique gameplay, nice graphics, great music, and wonderful story. The only downside maybe is that it's on the easy side, however that didn't bother me :) .
IMG

Ninja Spirit

My first Super Famicom game since the last 3 months.

IMG

Seldane

Been playing Star Ocean: Till the End of Time today and yesterday (got it yesterday).

That game is AMAZING! I haven't been this captivated since .... Radiata Stories!! And that was also a Tri-Ace game. Damn, I gotta track down some more Tri-Ace games, I think I'm in love!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Digi.k

meh i couldn't get into star ocean till the end of time...

I just recently saw that Ikaruga video of that one guy controlling two ships... O_o my head hurt just thinking about it....

anyway I also just saw the Radiant Silvergun video of a guy chaining Red alien ships....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1842234240582093651&q=radiant+silvergun&pl=true

I've also been playing some RS and loaded a few video clips on youtube but haha *cough*  after not playing it for about a year my skills suck... I dont even bother chaining.. in ikaruga you only need to worry about chaining either black or white but in RS the monsters come in swarms of  Red, Blue and Yellow...

TurboXray

QuoteI haven't been this captivated since .... Radiata Stories

Ooh, I've had my eye on that game for a while. My ratio of unbeaten to beaten games needs to get a little closer before I pick up that title though.

Star Ocean: Till the end of time is a very decent game, just wish there was a little more "technology...ish" areas to the game.

PC Gaijin

I finally gave up on Baten Kaitos. The combat system was mildly interesting, but the rest of the game was...crap, to put it kindly. So with Tales of Symphonia that's two Namco RPG duds for me. I think the only reason these two get any attention is because they're on Gamecube.

Anyway, I bought Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube since it finally went Players Choice. Only played it two hours before losing interest. I hope I can go back and finish this game at some point. I had the same reaction to RE4 that I had to Half-Life 2: so much hype beforehand that I was underwhelmed when I started playing the game. The graphics weren't that impressive, and while the controls are improved over old RE games (anything would be an improvement), they're still pretty clunky.

Mostly I've been playing really old games emulated on Atari 8-bit, Colecovision, and Intellivision. I'm surprised by how much time I can spend on these archaic systems and still enjoy them more than playing the very modern RE4 on GC. I'm watching several auctions on eBay right now for another Atari 8-bit computer to replace my dead one. I'm also looking for an Intellivision, a system I never paid much attention to before, but damn if it doesn't have a really good port of Burgertime!

Anyway, here's what I've been playing on Atari 8-bit: Millipede, Crystal Castles, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Mario Bros. (the one Atari did for the XEGS release, it's the best home port of Mario Bros. IMO), Frogger II, Gyruss, Pac-Man, Qix, Jungle Hunt, and Popeye. All of them are outstanding ports. It's a pity that Atari didn't release the 8-bit design as a console earlier than when they finally put out the 5200. Such a great game machine.

I got so nostalgic I broke out my 7800 too. Joust, Food Fight, Commando, Robotron 2084, and Ms. Pac-Man are all superb on the 7800. I am particularly fond of Food Fight, which I used to play tons of in the arcade. The 7800 port is excellent, and much better than the XE port, which is simply too slow.

Finally, I've been playing lots of Gals Panic in MAME. The "S" series, not the earlier Gals Panics, which I don't really care for (the ones where you have to be careful how much of the girl you uncover at a time lest the picture change to something like a frog). I always liked Qix as a kid, and the Gals Panic games are more interesting than Qix (for more reasons than the scantily clad girls! hehe).

Seldane

I got some games in the mail today: Puyo Puyo Two for Sega Saturn (I had it before but that was the SATAKORE-release. I really wanted the original), Super Nazo Puyo 2 for Super Famicom and Aretha II (also for Super Famicom).

Sweet titles. Been playing Nazo Puyo today. I love the combination of adventure game/RPG and puzzle.  :)

Also played some Seiken densetsu 2... man that game is so overrated. It really is a piece of junk in my opinion.  :P  (I had Secret of Mana many years ago, so YES -- I have played through it in English.)   :wink:
IMG

Keranu

Commando is a badass game!
IMG

GUTS

Yeah Secret of Mana doesn't really hold up as well as other Square games.  Chrono Trigger & FFIII are still just as good today as they were back then, but I tried to play through Secret of Mana and gave up a few hours in since it had so many annoying little things about it.

Keranu

Secret of Mana is probably my favorite Square game :D .
IMG

GUTS

Really?  That ring inventory system is horribly clunky now, even the terrible menu system in part 3 is better.  Had the game used a normal inventory screen it would hold up about 100 times better, as it is though it's just retarded and a pain in the ass to use.  Chrono Trigger on the other hand I think has never been topped for smooth RPG gameplay, everything about that game is just polished to perfection and is still better than 99.999% of other RPGs out there.

Digi.k

nothing beats the good ol' RPGs of yesteryear.. I would say my favourite RPGs came out during the 32 bit era as nothing on this generation's machines have grabbed me...

Speaking of which.. Dragon Quest VIII just got released here in europe and I think I really love it!

Its got an old skool charm but I just wished (along with FFXII) that they could go mult format as PS2 just has jaggies and slower loading times than Gamecube and Xbox...

Keranu

Quote from: "GUTS"Really?  That ring inventory system is horribly clunky now, even the terrible menu system in part 3 is better.  Had the game used a normal inventory screen it would hold up about 100 times better, as it is though it's just retarded and a pain in the ass to use.  Chrono Trigger on the other hand I think has never been topped for smooth RPG gameplay, everything about that game is just polished to perfection and is still better than 99.999% of other RPGs out there.
I kind of dig the menu system, it's really only annoying at first when you don't know how to operate it, but once I got used to it, it worked for me. A menu system isn't going to throw down a game for me ;) .
IMG

Seldane

Why is the Mana series so popular? Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana are hated worldwide (they deserve it) and yet everybody loves the series.

Children of Mana doesn't seem very good either. Not a Square Enix title either (developed by Next Entertainment).

The third game is awesome though, I can admit that.

Anyway, been playing Wakuwaku Puyo Puyo Dungeon which I got in the mail today. I like it. It is an extremely primitive dungeon crawler with randomly generated dungeons. Very challenging and unforgiving too. Die and lose everything. I like that idea. To some extent, at least.

It should have been released in 1989 (as a Mega Drive launch title or something) instead of 1998 (last Saturn title ever) though.. That game is SO after its time.
IMG

rolins

Quote from: "Seldane"Why is the Mana series so popular? Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana are hated worldwide (they deserve it) and yet everybody loves the series.

Who knows. I want to know why Square is still keeps making FF games. After Final Fantasy 8 the rest makes me want to puke.

esteban

Quote from: "Seldane"Anyway, been playing Wakuwaku Puyo Puyo Dungeon which I got in the mail today. I like it. It is an extremely primitive dungeon crawler with randomly generated dungeons. Very challenging and unforgiving too. Die and lose everything. I like that idea. To some extent, at least.

It should have been released in 1989 (as a Mega Drive launch title or something) instead of 1998 (last Saturn title ever) though.. That game is SO after its time.
Back in the day, I remember seeing adverts for "Deadly Labyrinth" (or something like that), a MD / Genesis title with randomly generated dungeons. IIRC, the reviews weren't too ecstatic, but I've always wanted to play it. Any relation between Wakuwaku Puyo Puyo Dungeon and the game I'm thinking of? I know it's a long shot, but I don't think there were too many games like this on the Genny...

No, I'm too lazy to go to GameFaqs to look it up :) ...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Seldane

Yep, that's exactly the game I had in mind when I said "Mega Drive launch title." Fatal Labyrinth is very much like this game -- only worse.

I have the game and I like it for nostalgic reasons alone; the actual game is terrible.  :P
IMG

Keranu

I think the Mana series is popular because the first three games were rather successful, especially 2 and 3 for being big SNES/SFC hits.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "Seldane"Yep, that's exactly the game I had in mind when I said "Mega Drive launch title." Fatal Labyrinth is very much like this game -- only worse.

I have the game and I like it for nostalgic reasons alone; the actual game is terrible.  :P
Yes, Fatal Labyrinth, I knew I was messing up the title. I never knew about the "Puyo Puyo" game -- I must admit that the concept sounds pretty kool, actually.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PC Gaijin

Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon is a lot of fun, and easy to play even if you don't know any Japanese.

QuoteIt should have been released in 1989 (as a Mega Drive launch title or something) instead of 1998 (last Saturn title ever) though.. That game is SO after its time.

Puyo Puyo Dungeon is hardly the last Saturn game. It's not even the last Puyo Puyo RPG game on Saturn. :D Madou Monogatari for Saturn came out in after Puyo Puyo Dungeon in 1998. It plays more like a regular console RPG though. Heck, the last Saturn game didn't come out until 2000 or 2001. Can't remember if it was Final Fight Revenge or a multi-disc adventure game whose name escapes me right now.

BTW, there's a port of the first Madou Monogatari game for PC Engine. I haven't been able to get a copy yet since it comes up rarely on ePay, and the price is always more than I'm willing to pay.

Ninja Spirit

I think it was Final Fight Revenge. Either that or it was Capcom's final Saturn release.

Seldane

Quote from: "PC Gaijin"Puyo Puyo Dungeon is hardly the last Saturn game. It's not even the last Puyo Puyo RPG game on Saturn. :D Madou Monogatari for Saturn came out in after Puyo Puyo Dungeon in 1998. It plays more like a regular console RPG though. Heck, the last Saturn game didn't come out until 2000 or 2001. Can't remember if it was Final Fight Revenge or a multi-disc adventure game whose name escapes me right now.

BTW, there's a port of the first Madou Monogatari game for PC Engine. I haven't been able to get a copy yet since it comes up rarely on ePay, and the price is always more than I'm willing to pay.

Is that so? Had no idea. I read it on some website and just assumed they were correct.  :lol:

Madoh monogatari is really crappy. The Saturn "version" is entirely different from the others in the series. Madoh monogatari for PC Engine is a port of the first game in the series (originated on the MSX2). The best ports in my opinion are the Game Gear ones.

But really, Madoh monogatari are terrible games.  :P
IMG

GUTS

Dude the Saturn Madoh Monogatari is fucking AWESOME, it's the only Japanese language RPG I've ever beaten.

Ninja Spirit

All the Guilty Gear players in Richmond and in my hometown (20 minutes south of Richmond) all upgraded from GGXX#Reload to GGXX Slash.

We were up all night playing it to death. Order Sol is a tight character. I wonder if there's any word on if that Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star fighter will come on PS2 this year.