The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineHell

Last I remember the Working Designs Magic Knight Rayearth had to be reprogrammed from scratch in some areas because the japanese hard disc archival was corrupted. I loved the game up until the last boss shooter battle. I felt cheated of a good fight,and the graphics were cheesy. I didn't have a problem beating the game,it was pretty damn easy.

Joe Redifer

Now I'm looking for the entrance to the damned volcano.  I know it should be in that snow town.  Can't find it.  I am becoming irritable and annoying to others.. err.. more so that usual I mean.

Joe Redifer

Yeah that/those last bosses in Rayearth were pretty lame.  And now for a fine dose of pictures demonstrating the highly-honed and super-sharp writing talents at Working Designs!!  They are so damned funny that I just don't know what to do with myself!  Humor doesn't get ANY better than this!  These comments added several hours to my game due to the time I spent rolling on the floor laughing uncontrollably.

joeredifer.com/reviews/rayearth2.jpg

joeredifer.com/reviews/rayearth3.jpg

joeredifer.com/reviews/rayearth4.jpg

joeredifer.com/reviews/rayearth6.jpg
(I approve of this last one)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/11/2007, 04:35 AMYeah that/those last bosses in Rayearth were pretty lame.  And now for a fine dose of pictures demonstrating the highly-honed and super-sharp writing talents at Working Designs!!  They are so damned funny that I just don't know what to do with myself!  Humor doesn't get ANY better than this!
That first one is so awesome.  :lol:

It's like a lame sarcastic parody of a 'stereotypical WD' joke, by someone who doesn't appreciate their humour.  :P

Are you sure you didn't doctor that image?  [-X
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Holy crap, that's some pretty extreme dialog.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

The best part is, I've always assumed very sexistly that women/girl gamerz are more likely to actually take the time to rummage through all the houses in RPG's.

And even if that arrogant assumption isn't true, the 'official' (EGM) stats say that girls make up a majority of nerd RPG players anyway.

I wonder if the ladies appreciate having their delicate sensibilities catered to?   :wink: =D>  :dance:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

Those pics are real.  Play the game and you'll see it.  I like to talk to all of the characters unless they all say the same thing.  I paid for the game and I'm gonna enjoy every last minute of it by gosh!  I'm not in a hurry.  In Rayearth, talking to certain random characters can get you extra amulets as well.

Ninja Spirit

AH yes, good ol' working designs localization, eliminating all those Japanese idioms. I know alot of people that hate it too. Let's not forget:

>Nall (Lunar) mentioning tennant buildings in South Central LA

>Stand off of "Yo Mama" in Albert Odyssey

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2007, 05:25 AMThe best part is, I've always assumed very sexistly that women/girl gamerz are more likely to actually take the time to rummage through all the houses in RPG's.

And even if that arrogant assumption isn't true, the 'official' (EGM) stats say that girls make up a majority of nerd RPG players anyway.

I wonder if the ladies appreciate having their delicate sensibilities catered to?   :wink: =D>  :dance:
I'm with Joe on this one, I seek out every nook and cranny when I play RPG's. First, I paid for the damn game and I want to get my money's worth (i.e. there's no need to rush through a game). Second, and I think a lot of you folks might feel the same way, many games encourage folks to obsessively / compulsively collect / explore stuff. So, my entire gaming life has trained me to scour games. Also, I prefer to see everything the first time through, since I usually don't replay an RPG for years.

Yes, I was the kid who wanted to read every story branch in the Choose Your Adventure Books :(.

That said, my patience is not limitless. I don't mind some degree of level-grinding, but it can get tedious.

EDIT: And for the record, I don't understand the WD haters. Look at the boring, generic localizations we were getting. If WD had done run-of-the-mill translations, it would have been lackluster. Part of the intrigue with WD is that they were goofy. Even if you thought the humor was juvenile, it was still better than the usual tripe. Plus, I would reckon that most folks who bought WD titles knew what to expect.

Anyway, I had written a nice post defending WD the other day, but I think I forgot to hit "post" because I don't see it in this thread. Ooops.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

PCEngineHell

El Viento,Streets of Rage 2,Hellfire,Twin Cobra,and Atomic Robo Kid. Really missed Streets of Rage 2.
Still like it more then SOR 3.

termis

I know WD gets crap from some gamers cause they say WD ruined the translations by not translating faithfully to the original script (also applies for many anime/manga dweebs whining about certain licensed translations vs. fansubs).  Now while it's true that WD randomly put in western-(or US) specific references that had nothing to do with the original script, I'd much rather take their style of translating than the other extreme of translating everything word-for-word.

If you ever take any recognized translation certification exams, and try to translate something in a literal fashion, they will fail you right away.  How do I know?  :oops:

GUTS

Haha I thought the beat-off joke was pretty good.  And doesn't MKR take place in our present time?  The star wars joke would fit perfectly then.

My favorite WD humor I think was the town full of hicks in the first Lunar, I remember loving that place back when I first played through the game.

CrackTiger

I don't know why so many people believe that it's only possible to englishize a game in one of two ways: Samurai Pizza Cats or a literal direct translation.

Just because someone doesn't appreciate some extreme cases of WD 'humour' or one or two particular company decisions, it doesn't mean that they hate WD.

And there's still a difference between juvenile themes/subject matter and bad writing/jokes. Just as a single joke's effectiveness is dependant on how well someone tells it. The new Family Guy doesn't even use punch lines with most of it's pop culture references anymore, they just shoehorn in a name or show a personality, and that's it. Where as before, it was at least part of an actual joke. Because the joke's the joke, not the name dropping.

We've got people here talking everyday about things they don't appreciate about the Turbo/PCE universe (like Turbochip manuals), but just because they're not blind fanboy console war whores doesn't mean that they hate the Turbo/PCE, otherwise they wouldn't be here in the first place.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2007, 05:19 PMSamurai Pizza Cats
Whoa, this is too awesome to comprehend with! This would also make a great cartoon show.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestJust because someone doesn't appreciate some extreme cases of WD 'humour' or one or two particular company decisions, it doesn't mean that they hate WD.
Exactly.  I have every Working Designs game for the Saturn and quite a few for the TG-16 and Sega CD.  I have one for the Playstation (that Taito shooting game that sucked ass).  I have none for the PS2.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2007, 05:19 PMI don't know why so many people believe that it's only possible to englishize a game in one of two ways: Samurai Pizza Cats or a literal direct translation.

Just because someone doesn't appreciate some extreme cases of WD 'humour' or one or two particular company decisions, it doesn't mean that they hate WD.

And there's still a difference between juvenile themes/subject matter and bad writing/jokes. Just as a single joke's effectiveness is dependant on how well someone tells it. The new Family Guy doesn't even use punch lines with most of it's pop culture references anymore, they just shoehorn in a name or show a personality, and that's it. Where as before, it was at least part of an actual joke. Because the joke's the joke, not the name dropping.

We've got people here talking everyday about things they don't appreciate about the Turbo/PCE universe (like Turbochip manuals), but just because they're not blind fanboy console war whores doesn't mean that they hate the Turbo/PCE, otherwise they wouldn't be here in the first place.
Yeah, I know: I was responding moreso to the things I've read over the past few years about how lame WD was and how abominable Victor Ireland was. Our best discussion occurred a few months ago when NightWolve was here and we discussed the problems of literal translations. Until then, I had never known that there were so many folks (I was reading old threads and articles on various sites) who hated WD for, in their eyes, bastardizing the source material.

Emeril Rocker offers an objective reason to be upset with WD (promising to include extra features, or certain elements in a game, failing to deliver, and then lying about it... like the hidden boss in that PSX shooter)...

But even this isn't reason enough to dislike WD, and Emeril's list of such occurrences is short.

As far as delaying releases... I  don't have a problem with this. Yes, it is unfortunate, but I will never understand folks who get angry when a game is delayed. As long as I can play it, I'm happy. Timeframe is not important. I'm much more upset when a company announces a game and then cancels it, but even this isn't the worst thing in the world.

I've never seen Samurai Pizza Cats, but I'm sure it is bad. It takes a lot of work and creativity to make a serious, heartfelt localization -- in that sense, WD cut some corners by relying on Howard Stern humor instead of something more sophisticated. Nonetheless....

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/11/2007, 07:58 PM
Quote from: guestJust because someone doesn't appreciate some extreme cases of WD 'humour' or one or two particular company decisions, it doesn't mean that they hate WD.
Exactly.  I have every Working Designs game for the Saturn and quite a few for the TG-16 and Sega CD.  I have one for the Playstation (that Taito shooting game that sucked ass).  I have none for the PS2.
Well, I've said this before, but I think it warrants a repeat:
1. WD revitalized TG-16 & TG-CD. The releases from NEC were getting pretty sparse and weren't too exciting. WD single-handedly injected some hope into the TG-16 scene. Now, I know what you're thinking: NEC might have released the same, or similar titles. Even if this had happened, they wouldn't have been as charming as WD's localization (unless, of course, WD handled it for them... which they did on an occasion or two, IIRC). Anyway, WD was the only worthwhile third-party... releasing many titles and all of them rocked, except for Exile 2.

2. WD was a saving grace for Sega CD. My brothers and I sure knew how to pick the winners. First we support TG-CD, then we put our faith in Sega. Of all the games we played (a lot), we were grateful for WD's offerings. Those titles alone justified the Sega CD, which might be pathetic, or a testament to WD's library, depending on how you feel :).

Joe Redifer

Vasteeeel rocked?  Looked lame.  Lotsa hexagons.  Only terrorists like hexagons.

I do like WD's manuals.  But it cannot be denied that Victor Ireland was quite the asshat.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/12/2007, 01:07 AMVasteeeel rocked?  Looked lame.  Lotsa hexagons.  Only terrorists like hexagons.

I do like WD's manuals.  But it cannot be denied that Victor Ireland was quite the asshat.
Yeah, I have to say that I really liked Vasteel.

Is there a collection of stories about Victor Ireland somewhere so I can read about what's he's done to earn his infamy? The "burning bridges" sort of stuff :).

PCEngineHell

Same here,me and Black Tiger like Vasteel also. Its not perfect,but as far as those types of games goes it was done really well and I found I could play the game for hours. Most of the cd music is just great too.

td741

I really liked Vasteel as well... I was disappointed that Vasteel 2 didn't allow you to take full control of the battle sequences (still am).

CrackTiger

Vasteel may be my favorite WD game. To this day, I won't play any war sim that isn't hexagonalish(in other words, I've gotten into Vasteel, Nectaris 1 & Neo amd Iron Storm).

Although a lot of the visuals are run of the mill, some parts are amazing and the game has some of the best 'special effects' of any Turbo/PC Engine game. I still want to replay far enough through to capture some videos of, among other things, the stage with a transparant layer of background that peels off of itself into a new layer and then warps all over the place.

Its been a long time since I played it, but I remember wondering if they actually made models of every unit and then snapped photos of them at 8 angles for the battle sprites.

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2007, 04:17 PMVasteel may be my favorite WD game. To this day, I won't play any war sim that isn't hexagonalish
...but not Starcraft?  :shock:

PCEngineHell

Beat Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes this evening on the Wii. Next up will prob be Eternal Darkness.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guyjin on 01/12/2007, 06:12 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/12/2007, 04:17 PMVasteel may be my favorite WD game. To this day, I won't play any war sim that isn't hexagonalish
...but not Starcraft?  :shock:
I don't really ever try war sims, but one other I really liked is Lords of the Rising Sun. It also has one of the Turbo's best bad dubs.

I also tried Vasteel 2 but didn't like it. I would've been fine without the controlable battles if they'd kept the rest of the gameplay at least similar to the original.

TR0N

GC
Zelda TP:Can't find the rest of those pose.

Famicom
CV3
Mike Tyson Punch Out!! My copy of that came today from JGS  :mrgreen:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

rolins

PS2
Guilty Gear X Plus (J) - My first time playing anything from the GG series. I like playing as Johnny, he moves all cool with cane sword, but I also prefer using Baiken b/c her guard cancels. I know the PS2 pad is not made for games like this, so I'm having a hard time pulling off hadoken moves (d,df,f + P). I need get myself one of those PS2 Saturn pads soon b/c I can't beat the arcade mode. it's embarrassing.  :P

Seldane

Been playing Ys VI on PSP all day. I can NEVER get enough of Ys, it is insane!  :-"

Fantastic game. Loading times are pretty nasty in this one, but I put it on the memory stick and increased the clock speed to 333MHz (it natively runs at 222) and now the loading times are gone, and the frame rate is more than okay! Sweet!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

TR0N

Famicom
Castlevania
Mike Tyson Punch Out

While ago i pickup some controllers from, Yobo with the turbo fire.

Much easier on my fingers now for when i need the turbo  :mrgreen:
IMG

akamichi

PSP
Salamander Portable (worth it just for Xexex :))
Parodius Portable

DS
Trace Memory (been getting back big time into point and click style adventures)

Wii
Excite Truck

PC
Sam and Max Eps 1 and 2
Ys Origin (haven't played too much yet)
Lots of old Sierra adventure games (King's Quests, Space Quests, LSLs, Police Quests)

PCE
Psychic Storm
Loom

Seldane

Hey Akamichi, what's up with Twinbee Portable? Why isn't it on your list? :wink:

I'm playing that now anyway, and Burnout Legends too. I love my PSP. (:

Gurumin PSP comes out in two weeks, I really can't wait, I'm going insane here. I absolutely loved that game, and finally playing it in English will be more than awesome.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: akamichi on 01/29/2007, 06:31 AMDS
I was just reading about this game on Nintendo's site last night. Looks pretty cool, how do you like it so far? That new Hotel Dusk game that just came out looks awesome! Digital comics 4 life!
IMG

akamichi

Quote from: SeldaneHey Akamichi, what's up with Twinbee Portable? Why isn't it on your list?
Hehe.  I was thinking about picking that one up too, but I never really got into any of the Twinbee games.  :(

Quote from: Keranu on 01/29/2007, 03:54 PM
Quote from: akamichi on 01/29/2007, 06:31 AMDS
I was just reading about this game on Nintendo's site last night. Looks pretty cool, how do you like it so far? That new Hotel Dusk game that just came out looks awesome! Digital comics 4 life!
Trace Memory seems pretty good so far.  I've played about 4 or so hours into it.  Before I picked it up, I kept reading about how people thought it was a good but underrated game.  Then I started reading about Hotel Dusk and that looked pretty cool too.  Found out that Cing made both games so when I saw Trace Memory for $20, I picked it up. :)

Probably order Hotel Dusk soon.

TR0N

Famicom
Castlevania III Dracula Curse
Finsh CV1&2 a while back i had to refresh my memory.. to beat them again :oops:
Wii
Wii Sports
IMG

Joe Redifer

I borrowed Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii from a friend yesterday.  All I can say is:

Ew.

Seldane

Gurumin PSP
Rogue Galaxy PS2

Great games. I hope the PS3 will be as great as the PS2 has been (i e have tons of japanese rpgs). X0 and Wii isn't for me, I'll probably never get them.
IMG

Digi.k

Taking a wee break from Phantasy star universe and currently playing Enchanted Arms on 360.. which seems an average RPG so far..

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 02/13/2007, 05:44 AMGurumin PSP
Rogue Galaxy PS2

Great games. I hope the PS3 will be as great as the PS2 has been (i e have tons of japanese rpgs). X0 and Wii isn't for me, I'll probably never get them.
Which ever console gains a discernable lead (if any) will be the home of all the great RPGs. But since RPGs are becoming less popular, even in japan, chances are there won't be as many RPGs on any new system like there was for PS2.

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2007, 11:47 AM
Quote from: Seldane on 02/13/2007, 05:44 AMGurumin PSP
Rogue Galaxy PS2

Which ever console gains a discernable lead (if any) will be the home of all the great RPGs. But since RPGs are becoming less popular, even in japan, chances are there won't be as many RPGs on any new system like there was for PS2.
Aren't japanese companies like Square-Enix thinking about making their games multi platform now? although I can't remember where I read that info from...

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2007, 11:47 AMWhich ever console gains a discernable lead (if any) will be the home of all the great RPGs. But since RPGs are becoming less popular, even in japan, chances are there won't be as many RPGs on any new system like there was for PS2.
I'm not so sure how true that would be for X Box 360 unless it got really popular in Japan, but if Sony manages to keep decent enough sales with the PS3, then I think PS3 will probably have the most RPGs even without being the most popular. Seldane by RPGs do you mean action-RPGs because I recall you saying how much you hate turn-based RPGs?
IMG

Seldane

Pretty much action rpgs, yes. I don't play turn based rpgs.
IMG

TR0N

Famicom
The Goonies II
SMB3

Wii
Wii Play
WarioWare SmoothMoves

Still don't have my wii online yet  :oops:

While ago i'd pickup datel datamax but no luck so far.

If i can't get it to work i'll return it and get something else.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Double Dragon 2 for the Mega Drive. Alot of people do not like this port,even though its rare. I love it. It has flaws,but over all is still pretty nice. Easily worth the 50 bucks spent.

Ninja Spirit

Rockman X3 (Sega Saturn)

EDIT: Holy shit! 777th post! lol

Joe Redifer

The most recent game I played was the newly purchased Sonic and the Secret of the Rings for the Wii.

Sucks dogshit.

Seldane

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/21/2007, 06:12 PMThe most recent game I played was the newly purchased Sonic and the Secret of the Rings for the Wii.

Sucks dogshit.
I'm thinking about trying to pretend to be shocked, but it just isn't possible.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/21/2007, 06:12 PMThe most recent game I played was the newly purchased Sonic and the Secret of the Rings for the Wii.

Sucks dogshit.
I keep hearing good things about this game. I'm interested in playing it, but whenever I find a new Sonic game that looks cool, it usually turns out sucking :( . I really thought Sonic Rush was going to be the comeback of Sonic, but I was wrong. I'll see if any video stores have it for rent.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Doesn't it suck to be wrong?  I heard lots of good things about Wii Sonic as well.  One of these days I am going to make a New Year's resolution to stop being so goddamn gullible.

rolins

FM-Towns
Image Fight: I said in my earlier post that I didn't like playing this game, but I totally changed my mind. This game is such a superb conversion. I've made all the all to Area 2 (stage 7), but I'm constantly pummeled in the meteor shower part. Need more practice.

PC Windows
Daikaisen - The Great Paci-Fish War: I think this the only rail-shooter by Compile. IIRC there's 5 stages but things don't get crazy until stage 4. Not all that exciting if you ask me.

Seldane

Rolins knows where its at.
IMG

esteban

Hey Rolins... how would you compare the pce vs fm towns vs etc. versions of image fight? I'm casually familiar with the game, but I've spent nearly 100% of my time with the pce version.

Quote from: Seldane on 02/22/2007, 10:46 AMRolins knows where its at.
Absolutely. :)