OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What is your favorite PSG music?

Started by Joe Redifer, 10/15/2007, 11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

This can include HuCards as well as the newer, more fabulous TurboChip format (which blows HuCards away) or even CD games which use PSG music.  SuperGrafx is included with it's amazingly beefed up sound chip as well.  Which games have your favorite PSG tunes?

Mine?  Funny you should ask.  I like the following:

Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu
Legendary Axe
Legendary Axe 2
R-Type
Batman
Sidearms

AND MANY MORE!

rolins

Some I can think of right away.

Xevious: Fardraut Saga -- Has the funky remixed Xevious theme on stage 2 (or was stage 3?), courtesty of Compile
Daisenpu -- music sound way better than the CD version
Kyukyoku Tiger
Devil Crash
Final Soldier
Outrun

Tatsujin

pc denjin - 2nd or 3rd stage
magical chase - 2nd stage
tatsujin (all)
legendary axe 1st stage
final soldier
hani in the sky has also a decent tune in the 1st stage
sonson II
saigô no nindô
salamander
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ParanoiaDragon

One of my absolute favorites......is Shockman, I love the sounds, drum kit, composition, everthing!  I love the 1st 2 Bonk's.  The Legend of Xanadu's(especially the 2nd) are incredible.  Jackie Chan is rad, as is New Adventure Island.  I also love Impossamole!  Oh, & Bloody Wolf :)
IMG

nat

Salamander - Stage 3

Dungeon Explorer - ALL

Air Zonk - ALL

Batman - All tracks but one are amazing.

Final Soldier - ALL

Bonk's Revenge - ALL

Bonk 3 - Jungle Theme, Pyramid Theme, Stage 6-3

Battle Ace (SGX) - ALL

Aldynes (SGX) - ALL

Devil's Crush - Main theme

Ninja Spirit - ALL

Vigilante - ALL

Space Harrier - Ida boss theme, Valda boss theme

Wonderboy/Dragon's Curse - ALL

The list could go on and on. I love the Turbo's PSG sound chip. Best video game sound chip 3var!

Joe Redifer

Oh man, how could I forget about Devil's Crush?  Bad me!  Bad!  Bad!

I think Bonk 3's PSG music is better than the CD music of the same game.

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/16/2007, 01:07 AMI think Bonk 3's PSG music is better than the CD music of the same game.

Absolutely, no question. It's possibly the only game in the entire history of the world that I can say that about.

awack

nat

Alright, another Aldynes lover!! Aldynes has some very... "robust" sound. I love it. I'm actually surprised it doesn't get more praise.

Tatsujin

Quote from: nat on 10/16/2007, 01:11 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/16/2007, 01:07 AMI think Bonk 3's PSG music is better than the CD music of the same game.

Absolutely, no question. It's possibly the only game in the entire history of the world that I can say that about.
i think the PSG of R-type is also better than the red book audio of the complete cd. but that's just a question of everyones own personal taste.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

awack

Yeah, i think aldynes has some great music like the cave level, thats the level that you can get stuck to the walls, the music for that level is very somber and moody, giving it allot of atmosphere.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Tatsujini think the PSG of R-type is also better than the red book audio of the complete cd. but that's just a question of everyones own personal taste.
I agree with this as well.  I also think it sounds far better than the arcade.

nat, I cannot believe you didn't list Space Harrier.

Kitsunexus

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Soldier Blade
Probably a lot of other stuff since I haven't played a lot of TG16.

I'm still wondering why nobody has made a MIDINES-style MIDI system for TG-16 yet.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Keranu

Joe haven't you made this thread before?

EDIT: I was right, here's the original thread ;) . Though technically that thread didn't include PSG tracks in CD games I don't think.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SignOfZeta

IMG

GUTS

Bonk's Revenge, Neutopia II, and Dragon's Curse all have my favorite tracks.

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 10/16/2007, 03:36 AMnat, I cannot believe you didn't list Space Harrier.
Sadly, while I really like the Turbo port of Space Harrier, NEC Avenue's white noise drumbeats ruin the main theme to some degree. They could have done so much better. I greatly prefer the arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast SH theme. I guess they did a bang up job on some of the boss tunes, though, so let me go edit my original posting.

Quote from: GUTS on 10/16/2007, 09:30 AMBonk's Revenge, Neutopia II, and Dragon's Curse all have my favorite tracks.
Can't believe I forgot Dragon's Curse... I'll be adding this as well.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/16/2007, 01:40 AMi think the PSG of R-type is also better than the red book audio of the complete cd. but that's just a question of everyones own personal taste.
Nah, the CD is better. But you're right-- that's just a stylistic preference. Compositionally, I think the music on the CD version is far superior. Although the cart isn't bad, the music sounds a bit "empty" to me. Definitely wouldn't (didn't) make my list of all-time best PSG music.

NecroPhile

Dungeon Explorer
Hatris
Devil's Crush
Galaga '90 (vastly superior to '88)
Military Madness
Soldier Blade

Dragon Slayer's PSG background music also falls into this category.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

I deffinitly love the cd music more.......however, I feel that the cd music does not fit the game for the most part.

BTW, something I just realised, is that the Turbo does not use PSG, it uses PCM.  Somebody should change the title.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Is the Turbo capable of doing subtractive synthesis with it's waveforms?

OldTurboBastard

Salamander!! It was great on the NES even..
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Ninja Spirit

Burning Angels
Cyber Cross
Space Invaders: Fukkatsu
(Since I'm a big fan of NES/Famicom music, I particularly like the first three soundtracks I called out because the samples they use have that 8-bit ring to them.)

Gradius/Salamander/Detana! Twinbee (it's all about Konami's PC Engine synth drum set)
Dragon Spirit/Saber
Son Son II
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade

Joe Redifer

Keranu... you got me!!  Oh I wondered why this felt so familiar.  Can you merge the threads?

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/16/2007, 01:11 PMBTW, something I just realised, is that the Turbo does not use PSG, it uses PCM.  Somebody should change the title.
Somebody should also change all those Turbo CD games that refer to it as "PSG". :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

Indeed!  Actually, I've been gradually changing my soundtracks to say PCM instead of PSG.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Don't the games themselves refer to it as PSG, like Dragon's Lair: The Legend of Heroes?

ParanoiaDragon

Yeah, you might be right, which is why I probably originally thought that's what it's called.  But, apparently the Turbo can't do actual PSG, but does PCM & ADPCM(sampled sound).  I'm only repeating what Bonknuts & other technical guys have said.  I personally know nothing about this kind of stuff.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/16/2007, 01:11 PM

I deffinitly love the cd music more.......however, I feel that the cd music does not fit the game for the most part.
I agree. I was disappointed with the music in Bonk 3 to begin with, but I found the CD tunes to sound pretty cool.

Quote from: JoeKeranu... you got me!!  Oh I wondered why this felt so familiar.  Can you merge the threads?
Not sure, I know I can "split" the topic though. I think I've done it before with another thread.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

TurboXray

There are a lot of great PSG ( or PSGPCM as Ccovell pointed out that the developers referred to it as - the term still doesn't make much sense though) tunes. The one that sticks out though is the Aldynes level with the Sonic rings (stuck in my head as I type this!). I love that music. Also the PSG music in the first Xanadu was catchy and cool.

_Paul

All this confusion is why I just refer to it as Chip Sound.

Turbo D

mmmm, chip sound  =P~ Nothing like the hearty crunch of your favorite potato chips  :wink:
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Chip sound??  But...that's takes longer to say!
IMG

rag-time4

Stages 5 and 8 of Blazing Lazers are my favorite.

Actually, on my first day at UC Davis, I totally drained by car's battery playing Blazing Lazers on my TurboExpress with the audio running through my car stereo!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: rag-time4 on 10/18/2007, 02:29 PMStages 5 and 8 of Blazing Lazers are my favorite.
hear dat. Blazing lazers has some killer drum beats
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

OldRover

Sinistron/Violent Soldier (sixth level music is the best, doublekicks ftw!)
Neutopia I & II (boss themes sound especially good)
Sidearms (especially the Nemesis 10 battle track)
Ninja Spirit (a lot of people diss this soundtrack but I love it)
Time Cruise (all tracks are well-done)
The Legendary Axe II (the palace music is my favorite, though the first part of the final boss music is particularly haunting and cool)
Silent Debuggers (title track mainly, although the ending story track is pretty good too)
Dead Moon (every track, especially the final battle track)

For CD games, just about every non-redbook track in Ys I & II, and a few tracks in Vasteel. Oh yeah, and the "strategy screen" music in Exile.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 10/18/2007, 10:15 PMSinistron/Violent Soldier (sixth level music is the best, doublekicks ftw!)
Neutopia I & II (boss themes sound especially good)
Sidearms (especially the Nemesis 10 battle track)
Ninja Spirit (a lot of people diss this soundtrack but I love it)
Time Cruise (all tracks are well-done)
The Legendary Axe II (the palace music is my favorite, though the first part of the final boss music is particularly haunting and cool)
Silent Debuggers (title track mainly, although the ending story track is pretty good too)
Dead Moon (every track, especially the final battle track)

For CD games, just about every non-redbook track in Ys I & II, and a few tracks in Vasteel. Oh yeah, and the "strategy screen" music in Exile.
Ditto, except Silent Debuggers.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/19/2007, 02:46 AMDitto, except Silent Debuggers.
You're crazy. That game (including the music) is the essence of awesome!

OldRover

Silent Debuggers doesn't have a lot of soundtracks, but what it does have are pretty well-done for chiptunes. I really love the opening track though, really retroesque and nifty. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Keranu

I really liked one of the tunes in the opening when I first played Silent Debuggers.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

The problem here is, not that I don't like it, I just haven't played the game enough, to even remember the music, which I'll have to take some time to do.
IMG

Keranu

I can think of only two songs: The one at the title screen and the one I mentioned earlier that's in the opening, which happens to sound like Herbie Hancock's "Rocket".
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Keranu on 10/20/2007, 03:23 AMI can think of only two songs: The one at the title screen and the one I mentioned earlier that's in the opening, which happens to sound like Herbie Hancock's "Rocket".
You spelled "Rockit" wrong.

Keranu

Thanks for correcting, I wasn't too sure when I typed it! It seemed fine on Google, but I still felt that it wasn't quite right.
IMG

CrackTiger

My top favorite PSG soundtracks are-

Dungeon Explorer
Aeroblasters
Bloody Wolf
Ninja Spirit
Neutopia -main the title and boss tracks
TM/FEOE: Fuun Kabuki Den
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

spenoza

I will remind everyone, just as I did in the last PSG faves thread, that Parasol Stars has the best chip music ever, in the whole wide universe.

runinruder

Cyber Knight deserves mention.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

_Paul

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/17/2007, 10:09 PMChip sound??  But...that's takes longer to say!
Does not!

Chip sound is 2 silly bulls, whereas PSG is clearly 3 silly bulls.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2007, 12:51 PMChip sound is 2 silly bulls, whereas PSG is clearly 3 silly bulls.
Will you settle for a silly pit bull?

IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 10/23/2007, 12:51 PMChip sound is 2 silly bulls, whereas PSG is clearly 3 silly bulls.
Are you sure?  I thought that it was pronounced as pizz-guh, though that's still two silly bulls.  :-k

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 10/23/2007, 12:58 PMWill you settle for a silly pit bull?
Looks like an ewok hugging a pit bull.  :lol:  Nice pic, Kitsune.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

IMG