@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueraven

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/09/2010, 12:06 PMsometimes the GENNY looks like an SMS compared to the PCE :idea:
I agree, Tats.

Joe Redifer

_Paul

I just put these in my latest site update but thought I'd post them in here also:

Sorcerian
The quests are a little different from version to version, but these are the nearest in style to each other.

/compsorcerian05.png
/compsorcerian04.png
/compsorcerian03.png
/compsorcerian02.png
/compsorcerian01.png

esteban

The PCE Sorcerian has the aesthetic nuances to make it look more polished and less "cookie cutter" than the Mega Drive version.

That said, the MD version still looks like it would be fun to play :)

But, damn, the PCE presentation seems to have been given a lot of love (including the character design)...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CDJ

I think the MD version is actually looking slightly better overall, (In movement at least.) and on top of that the PC Engine version's controls are a little sloppy at times. I miss all the character portraits in the MD version though, even the original PC-8801 version had those and the sound's obviously better in the PCE version.

_Paul

Quote from: CDJ on 01/16/2010, 12:28 PMI think the MD version is actually looking slightly better overall, (In movement at least.) and on top of that the PC Engine version's controls are a little sloppy at times. I miss all the character portraits in the MD version though, even the original PC-8801 version had those and the sound's obviously better in the PCE version.
After giving the PCE version a good bash, I was a bit shocked at the Mega Drive graphics. To be honest, they don't look that bad in those small screenshots, but full screen they look very rough and poorly coloured, really showing the limitations of the lower colour palette, whereas some of the PCE backdrops are beautiful. There is a little parallax on the MD which is nice and scrolling is smooth, but despite the three buttons, it still uses up to jump which is just infuriating!

awack

Thanks for the Sorcerian screens, the pce shots definitely look better, i need to buy this game some time soon.

Because this is being talked about in the Jim Power thread, i decided to go ahead and throw some shots up.

The Amiga port definitely has more detail, if you look at the first back ground tile set in the Amiga port, you can see a lack of color, but the 2nd BG tile set displays horizontal bans of different shades of color, i think this is called raster or copperbands.

I tried to show the strengths of both games in the shots below.

PCE                                                  AMIGA
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

I dont know why, but Ive never liked the graphical style in this game.

esteban

One of the problems with Jim Power (and many other games), is that the background/stage graphics are very busy and compete with/distract/obscure the gameplay.

Personally, I can appreciate the aesthetic design of Jim Power (the character designs are stiff and goofy, though)... it's a shame I've never had much fun playing the PCE version.

Ceti Alpha

Great comparisons awack and paul! :)

For Sorcerian, it's a toss up for me. Both versions look to have their own things about them that make them unique. I'd have to go with the Amiga on Jim Power. But yeah, the graphics on this game are all over the place.  :shock: lol
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

touko

Quote from: awack on 01/16/2010, 07:50 PMI dont know why, but Ive never liked the graphical style in this game.
Perhaps, because is not looks like a japanese game, and it has more occidental style !!

PCE version take advantage of his large number of palettes .

_Paul

Quote from: touko on 01/17/2010, 12:32 PM
Quote from: awack on 01/16/2010, 07:50 PMI dont know why, but Ive never liked the graphical style in this game.
Perhaps, because is not looks like a japanese game, and it has more occidental style !!
I always found the western art style from around that era to be pretty horrible, although I appreciate it a bit more now than I did then. There was some impressive stuff though, Shadow of the Beast being the obvious one for stand-out graphics. But in general, the Japanese stuff looked more professional in those days until us in the west caught up with them.

touko

For me i prefer occidental for music, art is not bad, but games are genearly less poliched, less finished ...
Less coin-op style .

TurboXray

Quote from: touko on 01/17/2010, 12:32 PM

PCE version take advantage of his large number of palettes .
Actually, it doesn't. I mean, considering what the PCE is capable subpalette wise. From the researching/debugging I did of the game last year - it was something like only 3 subpalettes for the whole BG per level. Which, if you think about the PCE being single plane, is even lower that it should be. Merging the BG layers for the single plane on the PCE should have yielded more subpalettes than a dual plane system. They did an "NES" style thing where the blocked off sections of the BG tiles from crossing over - but on the PCE this isn't a problem with such a huge amount of subpalettes. It looks ok, but... just un-optimal. Which leads me to something else. Of all the countries/regions, UK and EU were known for some serious crazy coders. I've seen stuff on C64, Speccy, SMS, Amiga, ST, even NES, etc. I know how almost all the FX are done and such, but with the very few titles that came out for the TG16/PCE from Euro teams, why this "trend/attitude" never ported over? I've coded for quite a few consoles, and it's not like the PCE is difficult. Everything it pretty straight forward, relatively speaking. Oh well...

Touko: You've played the Amiga version? How does the controls compare? I guessing "up" is for jump, but besides that. On the PCE, it's almost like the control isn't finished - like a beta game. Enemies and player don't "fall" off the edge, they just appear on the next lower edge. It's weird. And some other weird gameplay mechanics about it. I need to try out the SNES and MD versions and see how they play. This game intrigues me, but mostly because of how rare UK/EU developed games are on the PCE/TG.

touko

Quote from: Tom on 01/18/2010, 01:57 AMTouko: You've played the Amiga version? How does the controls compare? I guessing "up" is for jump, but besides that. On the PCE, it's almost like the control isn't finished - like a beta game. Enemies and player don't "fall" off the edge, they just appear on the next lower edge. It's weird. And some other weird gameplay mechanics about it. I need to try out the SNES and MD versions and see how they play. This game intrigues me, but mostly because of how rare UK/EU developed games are on the PCE/TG.
Yes of course ..
Controls are classics,based on one button joystick, but are very good.
Yes you must go up for jump, not famous, and i think there is an option for 2 buttons padle (not tested).

Quote from: Tom on 01/18/2010, 01:57 AMOf all the countries/regions, UK and EU were known for some serious crazy coders. I've seen stuff on C64, Speccy, SMS, Amiga, ST, even NES, etc. I know how almost all the FX are done and such, but with the very few titles that came out for the TG16/PCE from Euro teams, why this "trend/attitude" never ported over? I've coded for quite a few consoles, and it's not like the PCE is difficult. Everything it pretty straight forward, relatively speaking. Oh well...
I think this i because ,many of computers routines are made by demomakers, demo scene were very very important on home computers, but this not the case on video game consoles, witch are closed systems.

Japanese compagnies, sold her developpement kit at gold price (i don't know if this term exist in english !!), and some UK/EU compagnies cannot buy it ..

On home computers, it was easy to test a system,and to push it on his last retrenchment, not on a console.

_Paul

One of the good things about the Amiga was that some games were programmed to work with Master System / Mega Drive pads, so you didn't have to use up to jump, which is just horrible. That was in the days where most joystick ports were the same shape of course.

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 01/17/2010, 09:36 AMGreat comparisons awack and paul! :)

For Sorcerian, it's a toss up for me. Both versions look to have their own things about them that make them unique. I'd have to go with the Amiga on Jim Power. But yeah, the graphics on this game are all over the place.  :shock: lol
This, pretty much.  Sorcerian looks better overall on PCE, though the MD version has some nice spots (i.e. - using purple instead of hot pink for the cave background in the third set of pics, and the handsome, though repetitive, trees in the fourth set).  Jim Power certainly looks better and more detailed on the Amiga (dig that hanging skeleton), yet the PCE version does outshine it in a few spots, mostly with the various bits of extra color here and there and the 'hotter' looking lava in the second set of pics.  The PCE's greatest failure is in the backgrounds, or lack there of; just look at the last set of pics.  :?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

Isn't Jim Power in 3D?  Kind of like the new smash hit movie Avatar?

TurboXray

I just tried out the Genesis version of Jim Power. My god, what a big difference in gameplay controls. It actually controls like a normal game. And get this, you can even shoot more that one bullet at a time! Man, the PCE port/version is even more shitter now.

Arkhan Asylum

If I get a chance later (Classes start soon today!), I will post some MSX2 Sorcerian screenshots for moar comparison
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: Tom on 01/19/2010, 10:32 AMI just tried out the Genesis version of Jim Power. My god, what a big difference in gameplay controls. It actually controls like a normal game. And get this, you can even shoot more that one bullet at a time! Man, the PCE port/version is even more shitter now.
Wow. I want check out the Genny version*, if only to see how lame the PCE version truly is now.

*I never thought I'd ever say that about JIM friggin' POWER.

awack

I remember someone using Jim Power as an example of how a powerful 8bit system was no match for a true 16bit system, since the SNES and Genesis ports were better.

Joe Redifer

And they were right!  Jim Power is used to judge the true power of any game system, hence the word "Power" in its title.  Jesus, you should see Jim Power for the PS3!

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/18/2010, 08:52 PMIsn't Jim Power in 3D?  Kind of like the new smash hit movie Avatar?
You are correct!

I went to my old harddrive and found some scans I still need to upload:

IMG

Click for the full advertisement. You'll love the quotes from EGM and Die Hard!!!!!

Joe Redifer

That ad is awful.  You have to really look hard to even find the words "Jim Power".  No wonder the game sold only 3 copies.  I also like it's claim that it is the ONLY true 3D game.  I guess those 3D games on the Master System were fake 3D.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

lol..every side scrolling game with parallax is a 3D game, with the nuoptix glasses put on. it's the pulvrich effect.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

"The stunning visuals of this game have to be seen to be believed there is nothing else out there like it!"   --Electronic Gaming Monthly

IMG

"...the feeling of depth that you get is unmatched by anything seen on a home screen to date...there is no question that the technology and design employed in Jim Power is a breakthrough."     -- Die Hard Game Fan

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2010, 02:05 AMThat ad is awful.  You have to really look hard to even find the words "Jim Power".  No wonder the game sold only 3 copies.  I also like it's claim that it is the ONLY true 3D game.  I guess those 3D games on the Master System were fake 3D.
I know! Horrible text effects for "Jim Power".

My first experience with 3D was Worldrunner (sp?) and Rad Racer on the NES.

I loved Rad Racer, but I did not play the 3D mode too frequently.

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2010, 10:00 AMWhat's up with the Game Boy logo?
Dude I'm playing the Gameboy version as I type this out. If ever there was a Gameboy title that deserved to be on Virtual Boy, Jim Power is it. This game is just begging for the Virtual Boy 3D treatment.

Joe Redifer

Can't you just put a sunglass lens over one eye and accomplish the same exact thing the included glasses did?  Which eye is darker?

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2010, 11:24 AMCan't you just put a sunglass lens over one eye and accomplish the same exact thing the included glasses did?  Which eye is darker?
that's very right. that's how the pulvric effect works. sure optimised glasses will work much better.

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/20/2010, 11:57 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/20/2010, 11:24 AMCan't you just put a sunglass lens over one eye and accomplish the same exact thing the included glasses did?  Which eye is darker?
that's very right. that's how the pulvric effect works. sure optimised glasses will work much better.
Why are you two discounting genuine, unadulterated 3-D? This is for REAL, none of that baby stuff for the 16-bit machines.

ParanoiaDragon

Just played the Gen & SNES versions, wow, now the Turbo version really DOES feel like some type of prototype!  Some things are fairly well done, like the animation on "some" enemies n' stuff, but, then other stuff feels totally beta'd :P
IMG

Tatsujin

the PCE port is the weakest, no doubts. but it's still much worth as a pure audio cd :)

though i've never played the ST version.

awack

Just wanted to give a slightly more detailed look at each level in Aero Blasters.

PCE animation/effects                       GENS animation/effects
IMG IMG

PCE                                                 GEN
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Castlevania.

Just the basic animations,all unique sprites, no repeats... first set of pics, walk/walk up stairs/walk down stairs.

SCIV                                              Bloodlines
IMG IMG

Rondo
                              IMG

second set, swing/swing while walking up stairs/swing while walking down stairs/swing while ducking/ jumping.

Bloodlines                                                    SCIV
IMG IMG
Rondo
IMG  IMG

Ceti Alpha

Ahhh, Aero Blasters.  =P~

Interesting animation comparisons. Seems the PCE/TG has more detailed frames. I have to side with the PCE/TG on this one, not only from these comparison shots but because it doesn't have those silly characters from the cartoon the game was based off on the "next stage" screens. Does the Genny port have the rockin' stage 2 muzik? I know the arcade port doesn't have the same music on stage 2; and for that I put the TG/PCE port above the arcade since they're otherwise virtually identical.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

man.  That aeroblasters one is like no frigging contest.    some of those backgrounds on the genesis one are lackluser as hell.   
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

as for the BGs and parallax, MD aeroblaster is superior, no doubts. but the animations are better on the PCE.

TurboXray

Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/22/2010, 10:48 AMas for the BGs and parallax, MD aeroblaster is superior, no doubts. but the animations are better on the PCE.
True that. But they did do a decent job with parallax on the PCE version, which I thought was a nice touch.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Tom on 01/22/2010, 11:03 AM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 01/22/2010, 10:48 AMas for the BGs and parallax, MD aeroblaster is superior, no doubts. but the animations are better on the PCE.
True that. But they did do a decent job with parallax on the PCE version, which I thought was a nice touch.
Yeah, the parallax isn't a deal breaker for me on this one.
IMG

awack

QuoteDoes the Genny port have the rockin' stage 2 muzik? I know the arcade port doesn't have the same music on stage 2; and for that I put the TG/PCE port above the arcade since they're otherwise virtually identical.
The Genesis version has different music for stage 2, the pce, stage 2 music is better, in my oppinion.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: awack on 01/22/2010, 12:20 PM
QuoteDoes the Genny port have the rockin' stage 2 muzik? I know the arcade port doesn't have the same music on stage 2; and for that I put the TG/PCE port above the arcade since they're otherwise virtually identical.
The Genesis version has different music for stage 2, the pce, stage 2 music is better, in my oppinion.
Yeah, that stage 2 music is on my video game top 10 list.
IMG

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Joe Redifer

They had to compose new music for stage 2 in the PCE/Turbo since the original music heard in the arcade and Genesis versions were composed and performed by Fleetwood Mac and Mr. TurboGrafx could not get the rights.  Mr. Genesis could afford to pay, however.  But Mr. TurboGrafx went to Beck (then unknown) and had him compose and perform the new stage 2 theme which ended up being much more hip and appealing to today's weed-smoking audience.

And yes, I am obviously being very serious.

Tatsujin

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/23/2010, 07:05 AMThey had to compose new music for stage 2 in the PCE/Turbo since the original music heard in the arcade and Genesis versions were composed and performed by Fleetwood Mac Jethro Tull and Mr. TurboGrafx could not get the rights.  Mr. Genesis could afford to pay, however.  But Mr. TurboGrafx went to Beck (then unknown) and had him compose and perform the new stage 2 theme which ended up being much more hip and appealing to today's weed-smoking audience.

And yes, I am obviously being very serious.
Honest mistake, folks are always confusing the two artists.

awack

OK, my under paid, over sexed friends, lets do some Sega CD vs Genesis.

LOT Sega CD                                   LFIV Genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

awack

A little Air Zonk vs Super Air Zonk.

SAZ                                               AZ
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Maybe it's just me, but, in respects to colors & shading & detail, Super Air Zonk wins.  Truly though, (I think I mentioned this to Tom), if only they had reused Lords of Thunders engine for Super Air Zonk, then, graphically, no matter how you look at it, it would've ruled in that respect!  But when building the game, they never really had much in mind for paralax, other then a few small area's, tis a shame. ](*,)
IMG

Joe Redifer

I'll take Super Air Zonk over Regular Air Zonk any day as far as graphics, music and gameplay.  The parallax in Regular Air Zonk is nothing to write home about.

Tatsujin

all around, PC Denjin is just the much much funnier game to play. i like CD Denjin as well, but it misses some pepp & dynamic which PCD has and sure, the above mentioned parallax.