PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/19/2010, 01:21 AMThe arcade is nearly arcade perfect.
true words! but really just nearly. fo'sho!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/19/2010, 01:21 AMSMS designs for Space Harrier are too fat.  PCE designs are too skinny arcade perfect.  The arcade is nearly arcade perfect.
I fixed that for you :)

You're welcome.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nat

The distorted perspective as a result of capturing using an emulator makes the Turbo sprites look a lot skinnier than they actually do on a TV. Yeah, they're still skinnier than the arcade, but the difference isn't as jarring as these shots would lead you to believe.

I'll forever be baffled by Joe's fondness for SMS Space Harrier. SMS Space Harrier looks like shit.

_Paul

Quote from: nat on 02/19/2010, 12:37 PMThe distorted perspective as a result of capturing using an emulator makes the Turbo sprites look a lot skinnier than they actually do on a TV. Yeah, they're still skinnier than the arcade, but the difference isn't as jarring as these shots would lead you to believe.

I'll forever be baffled by Joe's fondness for SMS Space Harrier. SMS Space Harrier looks like shit.
You need to have grown up with it I think. I love the SMS Space Harrier, it's probably my favourite version besides the arcade, but I will freely admit that a lot of it is down to the memories it brings back. I think the SMS version was the first one I actually played, so it was my introduction to Space Harrier, which makes it that much more special to me.

Turbo D

I'm pretty fond of the 32x version which is pretty arcade perfect imo. =P
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Ceti Alpha

If the PCE Space Harrier had the checkerboard ground I wouldn't want, or need, any other version. Aside from that, it's still an awesome port.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

I basically agree with what SunSteam Paul said.  I like the SMS version because it is technically impressive.  While the artwork certainly isn't very faithful, the game play, for the most part, is.  You can even move left and right and the objects will start to head in the opposite direction, just like all other versions.

I disagree with what Ceti-alpha said, though.  The checkerboard background would have helped and the simple striped floor does make the PCE version look really weak, but I'd demand higher quality audio as well.  The audio in the PCE version is SHIT.  Space Harrier has great voice and especially music and it was all raped to hell by NEC Avenue driving in the wrong lane.  I actually prefer the audio in the SMS version to the PCE version.  The PCE version sounds like a broken AM radio in comparison (music, mainly).  Yes, the PCE version has more voices, but they were sampled at 1/4-bit .00001hz.  It's sandpaper to my ears.  Still, I own it and enjoy it.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/20/2010, 03:16 AMI basically agree with what SunSteam Paul said.  I like the SMS version because it is technically impressive.  While the artwork certainly isn't very faithful, the game play, for the most part, is.  You can even move left and right and the objects will start to head in the opposite direction, just like all other versions.

I disagree with what Ceti-alpha said, though.  The checkerboard background would have helped and the simple striped floor does make the PCE version look really weak, but I'd demand higher quality audio as well.  The audio in the PCE version is SHIT.  Space Harrier has great voice and especially music and it was all raped to hell by NEC Avenue driving in the wrong lane.  I actually prefer the audio in the SMS version to the PCE version.  The PCE version sounds like a broken AM radio in comparison (music, mainly).  Yes, the PCE version has more voices, but they were sampled at 1/4-bit .00001hz.  It's sandpaper to my ears.  Still, I own it and enjoy it. 
Hey, for the record, I still own SMS Space Harrier and play it. :)

REQUEST: Joe has inspired me. I know this is asking a lot, but could someone post the Space Harrier soundtracks (mp3) for each platform?

I would love to compare the Arcade, SMS, PCE, etc.

The other versions (Sega 32X, Sega Saturn) aren't as high a priority, but if someone were to make those available, it would be wonderful.

THIS IS FOR SCIENCE.

Tatsujin

I enjoy the Saturn SH, which is ultimately close to very very nearly arcade perfect :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 02/20/2010, 10:21 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/20/2010, 03:16 AMI basically agree with what SunSteam Paul said.  I like the SMS version because it is technically impressive.  While the artwork certainly isn't very faithful, the game play, for the most part, is.  You can even move left and right and the objects will start to head in the opposite direction, just like all other versions.

Hey, for the record, I still own SMS Space Harrier and play it. :)

REQUEST: Joe has inspired me. I know this is asking a lot, but could someone post the Space Harrier soundtracks (mp3) for each platform?

I would love to compare the Arcade, SMS, PCE, etc.

The other versions (Sega 32X, Sega Saturn) aren't as high a priority, but if someone were to make those available, it would be wonderful.

THIS IS FOR SCIENCE.
Check your email in a few minutes.

Tatsujin

it's a big shame, the game didn't came in FM, just like the Sega Master System bios v2.1 screen:
I got almost tears in my eyes, when I heard this the first time.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/20/2010, 12:55 PMCheck your email in a few minutes.
Awesome. Listening to the tunes as I type this. I love the distinctly unique vibe each version exudes. I know Joe is going to kill me, but SMS and PCE versions really hold their own compared to the arcade. I know the voice samples in the PCE version suck, but the PCE music is great, IMO. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Space Harrier has killer songs, period, regardless of the platform.

Now, if only we had the entire soundtracks to compare! :)

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/20/2010, 01:19 PMit's a big shame, the game didn't came in FM, just like the Sega Master System bios v2.1 screen:
I got almost tears in my eyes, when I heard this the first time.
Goddamn, that's beautiful, and it's via the crappy microphone on your camera! Why not make an analog recording of the that song directly from the console? (or did CrackTiger already do this?)

Anyway, the gorgeous arrangement and sound shines through the imperfect recording :) .

nat

I disagree completely here, except for the voices....

The music in the Turbo version is still high quality; I think NEC Avenue did a great job with it for the era the game came out. As the system got older, developers figured out how to do more with the sound chip and in that regard, I think it could have been better audio-wise had the game been released later. The voices are still inexcusable, sure, but they represent a pretty minor part of the gameplay (in my opinion). The stereo treatment the soundtrack got was great, and they did an especially good job with some of the boss tracks. I prefer some of these over the arcade even.

It all comes down to personal opinion in the end, but I don't see how anyone could argue with a straight face that the SMS version is in any way superior to the Turbo version on a technical level.

Joe Redifer

QuoteWhy not make an analog recording of the that song directly from the console? (or did CrackTiger already do this?)
Because pointing the camera at your screen is the latest Youtube trend. Crack_______Tiger did indeed already do this.  Did he die or something?

Anyway I believe I have posted this before.  it is a very brief clip of music and voices from each version in a single file.The audio clips are played in this order:

Saturn
32X
TurboGrafx-16
Sega Master System
Sega Master System (Space Harrier 3D)
Genesis (Space Harrier 2)
Playstation 2

Tatsujin

http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=86262&page=2

QuoteSorry PC-Eng fans I've always seen the PC- Eng as a poor mans Mega Drive
LOL

esteban

Joe, I fixed the spelling of your name. You're welcome :)

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/20/2010, 06:24 PMThe audio clips are played in this order:

Saturn
32X
TurboGrafx-16
Sega Master System
Sega Master System (Space Harrier 3D)
Genesis (Space Harrier 2)
Playstation 2
Love! I remember listening to that.

Now, point me to the full soundtracks :)

Also, what are the chances we'll ever see Planet Harriers (I've never played it) revived?

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 02/21/2010, 10:20 AMAlso, what are the chances we'll ever see Planet Harriers (I've never played it) revived?
I'd say medium - with the decision to release After Burner Climax, you never know what Sega is planning for the future.

Ceti Alpha

IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: estebanJoe, I fixed the spelling of your name. You're welcome :)
LOL!

And LOL at the Aero Blasters thread as well.  LOLs for everyone!  Get 'em while they last!

nat

Holy shit that Playstation 2 remake sounds awful. That music..... Oh man.

TurboXray

QuoteLOLs for everyone!  Get 'em while they last!
*raises his hand*

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/21/2010, 06:47 PM
Quote from: estebanJoe, I fixed the spelling of your name. You're welcome :)
LOL!

And LOL at the Aero Blasters thread as well.  LOLs for everyone!  Get 'em while they last!
hehe

Just thought I'd post a comment someone made on that Aero Blasters thread, as I thought it was pretty amusing:

QuoteBecause PC Engine fan boys are just like Neo Geo ones. They're ALWAYS right even when it's plain that they are not. I have both versions and the Mega Drive version wins hands down. In fact ask any real PC Engine fan boy to compare any PCE title Vs. MD title and they'll always come out with the PCE one is better. Yeah, some times they are but then again some times they're not.

Yakumo
...so this person obviously hasn't seen this thread...
IMG

TurboXray

Quotehehe

Just thought I'd post a comment someone made on that Aero Blasters thread, as I thought it was pretty amusing:

QuoteBecause PC Engine fan boys are just like Neo Geo ones. They're ALWAYS right even when it's plain that they are not. I have both versions and the Mega Drive version wins hands down. In fact ask any real PC Engine fan boy to compare any PCE title Vs. MD title and they'll always come out with the PCE one is better. Yeah, some times they are but then again some times they're not.

Yakumo
...so this person obviously hasn't seen this thread...
IIRC, they already know about this site. And they totally bagged on this site. I was following a thread there about this. HUGE PCFX complaint thread. It was funny, 'cause we're not just extreme PCE fanboys that want everything for free - but we're also "stupid americans" too. Yup. EVERYONE on this site is American. Sorry for you guys that didn't know this, but now you know ;) So.. better lose those accents :D

I was gonna mention/link to that thread on this site, but I figured we didn't need the extra drama (forum wars FTW!).

Joe Redifer

I assume that thread was from some former member here?

Ceti Alpha

I'm only an American when I watch Rocky IV.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/22/2010, 02:58 AMI assume that thread was from some former member here?
Yeah, probably Paul.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ceti Alpha

IMG

TurboXray

esteban

saintfu

I did some comparison pages for "Aero blasters", unfortunately, they were written in Chinese. I use google translation to translate those pages to English, still weird but readable :)

http://translate.google.com.tw/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=zh-TW&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsaintfu.myweb.hinet.net%2Freprogram%2Fairbust%2Fpage1.htm&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

3 pages total.

NecroPhile

Nice comparison article, saintfu.  The MD version clearly replicates the arcade original more faithfully and looks better overall, though there are a couple of spots where I think the PCE version looks better.

Ceti Alpha

That's a great comparison. I basically second what NecroPhile says about it. My only issues with the MD version is the colours can seem washed out in places.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/02/2010, 11:52 AM...the colours can seem washed out in places.
And overly vibrant for background colors in other places (i.e. - purple buildings).

P.S. - There's no 'u' in color.  Canadians.  [-(

Joe Redifer

My own Aero Blasters comparison article is still the closest to how I feel about the issue.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2010, 12:05 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/02/2010, 11:52 AM...the colours can seem washed out in places.
And overly vibrant for background colors in other places (i.e. - purple buildings).

haha There's no 'I' in team, but there's definitely a 'u' in colour. :P
IMG

_Paul

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/02/2010, 03:04 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/02/2010, 12:05 PM

haha There's no 'I' in team, but there's definitely a 'u' in colour. :P
He's just jealous that the Canadians kicked America's butt on Sunday.

Quote from: saintfu on 03/02/2010, 08:20 AMI did some comparison pages for "Aero blasters", unfortunately, they were written in Chinese. I use google translation to translate those pages to English, still weird but readable :)

http://translate.google.com.tw/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=zh-TW&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsaintfu.myweb.hinet.net%2Freprogram%2Fairbust%2Fpage1.htm&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

3 pages total.
Welcome to the boards!

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2010, 03:18 PMHe's just jealous that the Canadians kicked America's butt on Sunday.
Indeed.  Hockeyz srz biznez!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2010, 04:04 PM
Quote from: guest on 03/02/2010, 03:18 PMHe's just jealous that the Canadians kicked America's butt on Sunday.
Indeed.  Hockeyz srz biznez!
:lol: For realz, cuz.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: saintfu on 03/02/2010, 08:20 AMI did some comparison pages for "Aero blasters", unfortunately, they were written in Chinese. I use google translation to translate those pages to English, still weird but readable :)

3 pages total.
Welcome. :)

exodus

saintfu

I also did a Ninja Spirit comparison article 3 years ago. I tried to do the English version yesterday. Please ignore the grammer mistakes, I think it's better than Google translations. :mrgreen:

http://saintfu.myweb.hinet.net/reprogram/nspirit/p1en.htm

5 pages total.

NecroPhile

Another nice comparison, saintfu.  Have you any more?  Please say yes.  8)

The detail found in the Arcade version far surpasses the PCE version, but the color palette is a very different story; man, the Arcade looks like a pastel, washed out wreck in comparison.  Note to self: play Ninja Spirit tonight. 

TurboXray

Quote from: saintfu on 03/04/2010, 09:48 AMI also did a Ninja Spirit comparison article 3 years ago. I tried to do the English version yesterday. Please ignore the grammer mistakes, I think it's better than Google translations. :mrgreen:

5 pages total.
Very nice! :D I also like the part where you go into detail about the PCE's scroll tricks (ala Winds of Thunder and such). I also agree that IREM kind of had a weak music engine for the PCE. I mean, I like the tracks because I heard first, before ever playing the arcade. But in general, they are more PSG-ish (square waves and such) than WSG setup with samples. I can see that some of the BG parts were made black, but they could have just made them non scrollable and left it at that. I suspect hucard space was the prime motivation to go with some black parts of the BG (like the wall coming down level and the last level). Anyway, I've really enjoyed both your comparison articles.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 03/04/2010, 10:50 AMAnother nice comparison, saintfu.  Have you any more?  Please say yes.  8)

The detail found in the Arcade version far surpasses the PCE version, but the color palette is a very different story; man, the Arcade looks like a pastel, washed out wreck in comparison.  Note to self: play Ninja Spirit tonight. 
I completely agree. The colours on the arcade look washed out in comparison to the pce. As saintfu said in his review, the sound could have been handled better on the pce. But for an early release, NS is a great port. Hell, it's a great port regardless of the release date.

Oh and another great comparison saintfu! Don't be afraid to share more.  :mrgreen:
IMG

awack

I love the detail of these comparisons, just got done checking out the After Burner II piece. This is kinda motivating me to do the Dracxx/Rondo... detailed comparison Ive been wanting to finish, but its just so damn time consuming.

nat

I'm actually a big fan of the IREM sound engine used on their Turbo ports. Very distinctive-- you can always tell it's an IREM game without even looking at the title screen. There's no other video game music quite like it.

ParanoiaDragon

Man, I've always loved Irem's sound engine, what's wrong with you people!  Seriously though, I really enjoy it, especially in Ninja Spirit, Mr. Heli, & Hero Tonma.  Haven't played Image Fight 1 enough to give a credible opinion as of yet.
IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: saintfu on 03/04/2010, 09:48 AMI also did a Ninja Spirit comparison article 3 years ago. I tried to do the English version yesterday. Please ignore the grammer mistakes, I think it's better than Google translations. :mrgreen:

5 pages total.
Just wanted to point out that the PCE version does have running wolves in the ending if you clear the "arcade mode"

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.msg114378#msg114378

Also, I really like Irem's music as well, especially Image Fight. The music isn't as rich and metallic as the arcade version but it's still unique and enjoyable.

saintfu

Quote from: rag-time4 on 03/05/2010, 02:04 AMJust wanted to point out that the PCE version does have running wolves in the ending if you clear the "arcade mode"

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.msg114378#msg114378

Also, I really like Irem's music as well, especially Image Fight. The music isn't as rich and metallic as the arcade version but it's still unique and enjoyable.
Thanks to mention that, it's a shame that I never play the arcade mode even I have owned this game for almost 20 years. :shock:

Quote from: awack on 03/04/2010, 01:51 PMI love the detail of these comparisons, just got done checking out the After Burner II piece. This is kinda motivating me to do the Dracxx/Rondo... detailed comparison Ive been wanting to finish, but its just so damn time consuming.
Yes, I did the comparison pages for After Burner II. But just like you said, it's a very time consuming process. Play the games for multi platforms, taking the snapshots, do the web pages, and then write the comments. That's why I stop doing that for many years. However, I read the entire thread from page1 to page 83. Great! I really enjoy all you guys' work and contributions.

I also have much fun with Paul's software bible and Joe's side by side reviews. Welldone guys!