10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Bubble Bobble

Started by soop, 02/06/2012, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

I've always thought it was a shame this was never ported the the Engine.  There's a thread here: http://www.retrocollect.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1948 where a guy is suggesting a new version which adds in 4 players, a level editor etc.

How hard would this be to write, and what would be the best approach?

I mean the sprites should be freely available, and there's no doubt the PCE could handle it.  The difficulty would be the hidden mechanics, such as the route of the bubbles and all the triggers, but these are all available in one form or another.

I just think it would be ultra sweet to have this on a Hu Card.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Arkhan Asylum

OldRover was working on this at one point like 94 years ago.

It would be fuck-all easy to write Bubble Bobble. 

The basic game is nothing.  It's just got a jillion levels.  It would be a whole hell of a lot easier than Atlantean, thats for sure. 

lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

soop

At this point I'm hoping someone pops up offering to make it... or even better, they have made it :D

What language are PCE games written in anyway?  C?

Arkhan Asylum

C/6502 assembly.

Bubble Bobble could probably be done in C with little issue.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Rover's Thread

Will it ever get finished?  [-o<
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Awww that thread was back when everyone loved each other.

*sniffle*

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2012, 12:38 PMRover's Thread

Will it ever get finished?  [-o<
I put it aside after the Brandon Cobb debacle. It will stay aside for now. If Arkhan ever releases Squirrel 3.0, I'll take it back up again. In the meantime, I have too many other things already on my plate.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

lol THE COBBWEB IS COMING FOR YOU.

VestCunt

It would be sweet, but we already have Parasol Stars, Don Doko Don, and some others.  I can live without it.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

true dat.

I would still like it, with teh musics and er'thang

nat

Who da fuk is Brandon Cobb?

OldRover

Super Fighter Team. 'Nuff said.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 02/06/2012, 08:37 PMWho da fuk is Brandon Cobb?
"Mr. I did everything first except I actually didn't because I'm an ignorant, arrogant dumbfuck"

Mishran

Brandon Bobthenobb? Never heard of him...

nat

What does he have to do with Bubble Bobble, though? Did he claim he created it or something?

OldRover

nat, when Cobb approached me about being his pet project, he was more interested in the fact that I was doing an unmarketable fan conversion of a copyrighted game (Bubble Bobble) than anything else... only because it was intended for hucard.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 02/06/2012, 11:32 PMWhat does he have to do with Bubble Bobble, though? Did he claim he created it or something?
Basically he was pee-pantsing because the work someone else was doing wasn't something he could rub his Super Fighter Teamsack all over and profit from.

and then there's all the pretentious BS he spews when he talks about it anyways.

"Oh look at me , I'm the best, I did it first, I do this, I do that, I'm so awesome, I'll do huCards the best because I'm pro".

shut up bitch!

We did it first! =3

BURN DOWN THE COBBWEBB.

CrackTiger

Isn't the Super Fighter Team guy's business model something like 90% of profit for him and 10% to the actual  game creator(s)?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/07/2012, 12:41 PMIsn't the Super Fighter Team guy's business model something like 90% of profit for him and 10% to the actual  game creator(s)?
yeah something like that.

then he rides your work's wave of glory to the top of Mt. Circle Jerk where he talks to himself about how great he is. 

The only first he has brought to the homebrew world is being a total jackass.

and not in the fun way, like me!

Mishran

Nobody does asshole like you, Ark... :wink: :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

*zing*

Nice one, lol.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Mishran on 02/07/2012, 01:51 PMNobody does asshole like you, Ark... :wink: :lol:
:shock:  T.M.I.!!!
IMG

FraGMarE

Umm, the TG16 already got the *best* Bubble Bobble game ever made.  Maybe you've heard of it, it's called Parasol Stars!  :)

soop

Quote from: fragmare on 02/08/2012, 05:16 AMUmm, the TG16 already got the *best* Bubble Bobble game ever made.  Maybe you've heard of it, it's called Parasol Stars!  :)
9___9  You know what I mean.  The Trinity of Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars.

spenoza

Yeah, and each title in the trinity has different gameplay, and the gameplay makes the game, in this case. I say GO FOR IT!

Keranu

I was thinking recently it would be cool to see a demo of Chip Chan Kick running on PCE. Seems doable.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

soop

I think it should be an exact replica of the Japanese arcade, spelling errors and all.

Arkhan Asylum

BUBLE BOBBLE.

THE STORY OF MICHAEL BUBLE.

soop

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2012, 11:49 AMBUBLE BOBBLE.

Heheh

I dunno if the original Japanese version had the English
"NOW IT IS THE BEGINING OF FANTASTIC JOURNEY"   But I hope it did.  I love that.

*edit* wait, I mean ""NOW,IT IS BEGINNING OF A FANTASTIC STORY!! LET'S MAKE A JOURNEY TO THE CAVE OF MONSTERS! GOOD LUCK!"

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 02/09/2012, 11:49 AMBUBLE BOBBLE.

The game would suck if that were the case. I'm glad it is about bubble breathing dragons instead!

I would love to have the complete trilogy available. Bubble Symphony would be nice too!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Aladar

Quote from: soop on 02/06/2012, 09:53 AMAt this point I'm hoping someone pops up offering to make it... or even better, they have made it :D
I am working on a port.
I have started a year ago, now I am converting the remaining code in C++.
I have translated in C++ around the 50% of the main CPU code, slave CPU and MCU code is alredy converted and working(tested on my emulator/simulator).
For the audio part I have used a different method: I have written a specific emulator to extract the data sent to the sound chips.
There is still a lot to do, the C++ translation is only an intermediate step...

hoobs88

That is indeed good news!
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

ParanoiaDragon

Looking forward to it!!
IMG

spenoza

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you are working in C++? Is it simply your most familiar language?

Aladar

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2012, 12:57 AMOut of curiosity, is there a reason you are working in C++? Is it simply your most familiar language?
For various reasons, for example it is possible to test and analyze the code with my emulator/simulator(written in C++) or, in the future, to compile a preliminary version in C with HuC.
However, the final code will be in assembly.

soop

Wow, this is great news!

May I ask which version it's based on?

And I know it's far too early for questions like this...  But I'll throw it out there; would it be possible to insert code for a 2p GT linkup?  I know there's not exactly a lot of GT owners in the world, but I wonder how hard it would be.  I guess Bomberman '93 has the code.

Aladar

Quote from: soop on 03/02/2012, 07:01 AMMay I ask which version it's based on?
"VER 0.1 4.SEP,1986"(parent in MAME)

QuoteAnd I know it's far too early for questions like this...  But I'll throw it out there; would it be possible to insert code for a 2p GT linkup?  I know there's not exactly a lot of GT owners in the world, but I wonder how hard it would be.  I guess Bomberman '93 has the code.
It would be nice, but as you said it's too early.

esteban

Quote from: Aladar on 03/01/2012, 03:14 PM
Quote from: soop on 02/06/2012, 09:53 AMAt this point I'm hoping someone pops up offering to make it... or even better, they have made it :D
I am working on a port.
I have started a year ago, now I am converting the remaining code in C++.
I have translated in C++ around the 50% of the main CPU code, slave CPU and MCU code is alredy converted and working(tested on my emulator/simulator).
For the audio part I have used a different method: I have written a specific emulator to extract the data sent to the sound chips.
There is still a lot to do, the C++ translation is only an intermediate step...
Good luck on this project IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Aladar

I want to inform you that the project is still alive even if progresses slowly.
I am currently completing the preparatory work for the assembly conversion.
Now I have to choose the format: HuCard or CD?
I'm also considering the possibility of a SuperGrafx exclusive.
I know that many will not like this choice but thanks to the second background and more VRAM the code is simpler.

spenoza

Well, SGX only would have the result that most would have to use emulators to play it. If at all possible I would urge Hucard rather than CD (even though distributing it becomes more problematic) and not SGX only. CD distribution is an easier distro method, but Aetherbyte is working on HuCard hardware and the GameOfYou flash card makes it pretty easy to get a ROM onto a working system. You could always sell a ROM file the way some folks sell ebooks or MP3 files.

Of course, if you wanted it to be as accurate as possible you could go SGX only at first, and then maybe spend a little more time to make a regular version. You'll notice that Parasol Stars manages to have the level tiles fly away at the end of a level while the background remains, so it is certainly possible.

These are my opinions, but it's up to you what you want to do, of course.

Arkhan Asylum

I see no reason why Bubble Bobble should be a Super Grafx exclusive, if it's a port of the arcade one or NES one.

Bardoly

Quote from: Aladar on 04/28/2013, 04:57 AMI want to inform you that the project is still alive even if progresses slowly.
I am currently completing the preparatory work for the assembly conversion.
Now I have to choose the format: HuCard or CD?
I'm also considering the possibility of a SuperGrafx exclusive.
I know that many will not like this choice but thanks to the second background and more VRAM the code is simpler.
Thanks for the update!

How about a Super HuCard like Darius Plus and Darius Alpha where the game would be playable on regular hardware but with enhanced gameplay if played on a SuperGrafx?  Although for ease of distrution (and also for being much cheaper than creating HuCards), I would have to recommend a CD release?

Of course, this begs the question of whether a CD release could take advantage of the SuperGrafx hardware.  I would assume so, but I have no clue.

FiftyQuid

This is pretty cool.  Glad I found this thread.  My preference, if anyone cares, is the HuCard over CD-ROM.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

ParanoiaDragon

I'm not sure when Aetherbutt will have Hucards ready, & maybe neither do they(?).  Maybe they're already ready, & are just being hush hush :D  In any case, I see no reason why the game couldn't be pixel pefect & be on a cart.  However, as stated before, CD is easier for now.  If you do CD, I'd highly recommend you do a straight arcade port, & an enhanced mode.  For the enhanced mode, you could add some redbook versions of the tunes, & could probably use updated sprites/tile lifted from other Bubble Bobble games.  Then for the music, you could have 3 options for the player to choose from, chip tunes, redbook of the original arcade audio, & some arranged versions of the tunes that switch up maybe every 10 stages, & have this selectable perhaps in an options screen. 

But, maybe this is just me dreaming! :)
IMG

esteban

STATUS: Whilst a HuCARD would be nice, I can't help but dream of a CD release with the OPTION to play PSG chiptunes and Redbook! That would be truly marvelous. YOUR PATH HAS BEEN CHOSEN—clearly CD-ROM is the medium of the future...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Good to hear this is still going.  :mrgreen:

Unless you have no desire for a physical release, my vote is for SuperCD format (no SGX).  Hueys drive up cost and a SGX requirement would limit your audience, all for no real purpose.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

Go with a Super CD release!  Is this going to be an actual release?  Like a slight knock off on Super CD or something?

Bibble Booble for the Turbo!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

_Paul

*hears the approaching footsteps of Taito's lawyers*

esadajr

While a Super CD release with red book audio would be awesome, a rom release would probaly be more appropiate. No one would be able to press discs and profit from Aladar's work.
Gaming since 1985