OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

BigusSchmuck

seieienbu

All this Turrican talk makes me want to give it a look myself...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gredler

Heavy Unit - I played to stage 4/5 and could not beat the blue lion boss, got tired and went to bed. I enjoyed it a lot, once you get past the first level, it gets pretty fun. Forgiving continue system helps :)

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 06/09/2015, 07:11 PMHeavy Unit - I played to stage 4/5 and could not beat the blue lion boss, got tired and went to bed. I enjoyed it a lot, once you get past the first level, it gets pretty fun. Forgiving continue system helps :)
Plus, you can get some pretty powerful powerups, walk on the ground, etc. so much more fun than the first level!

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: martinine on 06/06/2015, 07:58 AMI'm playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Bomberman 94. I pick up JB Harold last week and the guy at the game store I frequent threw in a loose Dungeon Explorer for free. I'm set for a while!
...was this Video Game World in Huntersville?  If not, then that's a crazy coincidence.  They had both the games you mentioned last time I went.

EDIT: dude, you totally went to Video Game World.  You may only live about 30-40 minutes away from me.  FINALLY a local obeyer!
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

esteban

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/10/2015, 01:33 AM
Quote from: martinine on 06/06/2015, 07:58 AMI'm playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Bomberman 94. I pick up JB Harold last week and the guy at the game store I frequent threw in a loose Dungeon Explorer for free. I'm set for a while!
...was this Video Game World in Huntersville?  If not, then that's a crazy coincidence.  They had both the games you mentioned last time I went.

EDIT: dude, you totally went to Video Game World.  You may only live about 30-40 minutes away from me.  FINALLY a local obeyer!
Hahahaha. I love that your detective skills were put to work. :)

richc

Playing Last Alert/Red Alert.  Outside of the cheesy acting, its like playing through an 80's action B movie.

Been looking at D&D order of the griffon, but the price tag on ebay is up there.  Anyone can provide some insight on the game?

esteban

Quote from: richc on 06/14/2015, 12:54 PMPlaying Last Alert/Red Alert.  Outside of the cheesy acting, its like playing through an 80's action B movie.

Been looking at D&D order of the griffon, but the price tag on ebay is up there.  Anyone can provide some insight on the game?
Yes. There are lots of nice little touches in the game.

Overall, it's not amazing, but it is fun.

Warbucks

Was just playing Pac-Land.  Of course my buddy picked the wrong setting for the controller and it took us a while to figure out the settings.

esteban

Quote from: Warbucks on 06/14/2015, 01:52 PMWas just playing Pac-Land.  Of course my buddy picked the wrong setting for the controller and it took us a while to figure out the settings.
I really like this silly game. It grew on me.

RNSpeed

MotherGunner

Quote from: esteban on 06/14/2015, 10:27 PM
Quote from: Warbucks on 06/14/2015, 01:52 PMWas just playing Pac-Land.  Of course my buddy picked the wrong setting for the controller and it took us a while to figure out the settings.
I really wish someone ported pac man over.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

esteban

Quote from: MotherGunner on 06/15/2015, 12:26 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/14/2015, 10:27 PM
I really wish someone ported pac man over.
Make it Ms. Pac Man and one of the indie developers might be tempted (well, assuming they are a Ms. Pac Man fan).

NecroPhile

Quote from: MotherGunner on 06/15/2015, 12:26 AMI really wish someone ported pac man over.   
Go play Pyramid Plunder.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

martinine

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 06/10/2015, 01:33 AM

It was Video Game World. You must be "the only other guy who asks about Turbo stuff." Haha. Awesome!
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

Gredler

Is this where I should be posting my PCE what did I plays? :P Anyways, I played Kato Chan & Ken Chan for a good hour or so last night, and was able to fumble my way to the first boss. I was initally stuck in 1-2  at a large floor gap I could not clear with a jump, but eventually continued after kicking some signs to find a platform allowing me to jump the large gap, I don't want to admit to how many times I tried to make the jump thinking I could make it. I then had to figure out that I needed to fart on the snake to continue past their one hit death. The next hurdle was a tempting bounce pad that sent me back a few stages. After avoiding that, I got to the boss and promptly got my ass handed to me. I can't wait to go back knowing these things to quickly get through world one, and hopefully defeat the boss. What a blast the game is, I love it more and more each time I sit down with it. My first experience was mostly running around enjoying the music and laughing at the sprites, but this last session gave me that great feeling of exploration and discovery. I'm bit, tonight I'll defeat world 1!!!

Esteban - I was going to make a KC&KC does what turrican't image, but I realized I don't have the same font on my work pc as you do - is that helvetica? more like helvetic-yeah. :P

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 06/18/2015, 02:56 PMIs this where I should be posting my PCE what did I plays? :P Anyways, I played Kato Chan & Ken Chan for a good hour or so last night, and was able to fumble my way to the first boss. I was initally stuck in 1-2  at a large floor gap I could not clear with a jump, but eventually continued after kicking some signs to find a platform allowing me to jump the large gap, I don't want to admit to how many times I tried to make the jump thinking I could make it. I then had to figure out that I needed to fart on the snake to continue past their one hit death. The next hurdle was a tempting bounce pad that sent me back a few stages. After avoiding that, I got to the boss and promptly got my ass handed to me. I can't wait to go back knowing these things to quickly get through world one, and hopefully defeat the boss. What a blast the game is, I love it more and more each time I sit down with it. My first experience was mostly running around enjoying the music and laughing at the sprites, but this last session gave me that great feeling of exploration and discovery. I'm bit, tonight I'll defeat world 1!!!

Esteban - I was going to make a KC&KC does what turrican't image, but I realized I don't have the same font on my work pc as you do - is that helvetica? more like helvetic-yeah. :P
Ha! I'm glad you're enjoying some KC&KC.

When I get home I'll see what the font is...it is not helvetica, but I can't remember it.

:)

esteban

UPDATE:  "Phosphate Solid" is the name of the font.

Gredler

Quote from: esteban on 06/19/2015, 07:11 AMUPDATE:  "Phosphate Solid" is the name of the font.
Thanks! Don't have it :(

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 06/19/2015, 05:14 PM
Quote from: esteban on 06/19/2015, 07:11 AMUPDATE:  "Phosphate Solid" is the name of the font.
Thanks! Don't have it :(
Do not despair.

Kato-chan & Ken-chan love you, comrade.

IMG

Gredler

Kato Chan & Ken Chan is rad. I got through the first zone and moved to area 2-1 easily after figuring out how to get through it. It's a fun blend of goof and quick gameplay combined with meticulous hunting and exploration, on a linear level design with loops back to earlier areas. I had a great time playing the slot machine and getting extra vitality to help with the boss. Though the boss became a lot easier when I learned his pattern, jumping off his rocks to kick him in the face worked pretty well though probably the wrong way to attack him. Great times, next challenge is to get through world 2!! :D

I also played quite a bit of Paranoia/Psychosis and wow that game beat me down over and over. The large indestructible hazards took some memorization to avoid being in the wrong place when they move into, and it took me a while to get a feel for rotating the helper pods to defend myself, but I can get through the first two causes on a single life consistently now. I have not been able to make it past the second cause's boss, so it looks like my next mission of obey is getting to level 3 on these two games!  :-k

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 06/25/2015, 05:33 PMKato Chan & Ken Chan is rad. I got through the first zone and moved to area 2-1 easily after figuring out how to get through it. It's a fun blend of goof and quick gameplay combined with meticulous hunting and exploration, on a linear level design with loops back to earlier areas. I had a great time playing the slot machine and getting extra vitality to help with the boss. Though the boss became a lot easier when I learned his pattern, jumping off his rocks to kick him in the face worked pretty well though probably the wrong way to attack him. Great times, next challenge is to get through world 2!! :D

I also played quite a bit of Paranoia/Psychosis and wow that game beat me down over and over. The large indestructible hazards took some memorization to avoid being in the wrong place when they move into, and it took me a while to get a feel for rotating the helper pods to defend myself, but I can get through the first two causes on a single life consistently now. I have not been able to make it past the second cause's boss, so it looks like my next mission of obey is getting to level 3 on these two games!  :-k
Yes, Paranoia/Psychosis = more challenging than I thought it would be. Which is a good thing. Only a few stages total, so it needed to be this way. I like it...not a top-tier game, but definitely interesting.

Gredler

Quote from: esteban on 06/25/2015, 05:48 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 06/25/2015, 05:33 PMKato Chan & Ken Chan is rad. I got through the first zone and moved to area 2-1 easily after figuring out how to get through it. It's a fun blend of goof and quick gameplay combined with meticulous hunting and exploration, on a linear level design with loops back to earlier areas. I had a great time playing the slot machine and getting extra vitality to help with the boss. Though the boss became a lot easier when I learned his pattern, jumping off his rocks to kick him in the face worked pretty well though probably the wrong way to attack him. Great times, next challenge is to get through world 2!! :D

Yes, Paranoia/Psychosis = more challenging than I thought it would be. Which is a good thing. Only a few stages total, so it needed to be this way. I like it...not a top-tier game, but definitely interesting.
Yesterday I did the same combo of games, and had another blast with a ton of progress. I stumbled into the 4th cause on Paranoia, and holy crap what a ramp in difficulty. I was able to make really good progress with the wave beam by shooting through walls and taking out enemies before/as they appeared on screen. Once I died though, and lost my powerups, everything hit the fan and my progress ceased. I was able to take out the third boss without powerups, his pattern was easy to figure out, but the fourth level without powerups was too much for me. I feel hopeful that I might be able to see this one through to the end, but no promises :)

KC&KC was cut short but I was able to get into the second set of levels with little impediment keeping all of my lives, house guests arrived shortly into my session so I was not able to see it through - thought it was very fun to run through the first set hoarding coins.

ShadowKitty777

I got my PC Engine back from being repaired!!! I tested it out by playing some Valis 1.

VenomMacbeth

Last PCE game I played was Override...it was I believe my fifth time playing it...and I 1CC'd the game.  It looks like it should be a hard game...but it's not.  Easier than Soldier Blade, which I still can't quite get through on one continue.

Still, the music, presentation, and frantic action make this one worthwhile.  I just wish there was more to it...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

EmperorIng

I am playing a few:

Auleria: This has an excellent Tamayo Kawamoto (of Zuntata fame) soundtrack, and it plays all right when you are dungeon crawling and fighting all sorts of nasty monsters. An interesting bit is that as you level up, lower level monsters cease to appear on the maps, leaving some areas that previously had kicked your butt devoid of all activity. I've only explored two dungeons thus far, but they were fairly labyrinthine.

I think what unfortunately brings it down is the amount of talking to random people you have to do to trigger the next story event - this is a problem for someone with no knowledge of Japanese.

This is a game that is a prime candidate for a fan-translation, given its pedigree (Taito weirdness*/Winky Soft quality?), engaging visuals, and accessible game mechanics.

*nothing quite like mowing down waves of skinless baby midget monsters, and later on succumbing to droves of jumping jolly jesters.

Valis 1: the fantastic fantasm game. However, my CD started skipping and eventually froze at the dragon fight. I don't know if this is a CD issue or an issue with my Duo-R, which has been having problems with the CD reader (as per this topic).

Fray in Magical Adventure ~ Xak Gaiden: Cute and easy, as well as easy to understand despite most text being in Japanese. Having items represented pictorially really helps, and most of the town portions are resolved (thus far) by talking to everyone; these segments are short. It left a good first impression.

Xak I: Another game that is easy to figure out without Japanese knowledge - though I have had to consult a FAQ/Walkthrough a few times; luckily there are good ones for the PCE-CD port. I have unfortunately overleveled (the first time ever in an RPG I think, ha) - being at max level well before the end of the game (Xak I caps at Level 25). I did this early on because I couldn't even scratch a boss at one point - I power-leveled and killed it in one hit, and proceeded to kill other bosses in a few hits. It feels a little hollow when you mow down monsters and don't get any experience =(

However, this game is quite fun. I look forward to the usual Ys 2-switcharoo where all my experience is rendered null and void by the second game's monsters.

wilykat

Gradius, when I was testing my newly acquired Turboexpress.  Bad sound aside, it was playable.

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

PukeSter

Yesterday, I beat Cadash. Very good game, though it's a double edged sword. You need to grind in order to survive, but over-leveling allows you to destroy bosses in seconds. Still great hack and slash gameplay. Definitely an A game.

Today, I beat Dragon Egg. Not a hard game at all, once you get homing fireballs. If you die, you are reduced to a little girl with no range or power in her attacks. A C game, there are better platformers on the PCE. There's also a bug with the Cure, as it's very inconsistent with how often you get health back. For example, I bought 3 of them from the store and nothing happened. Sometimes it gives one heart and other times half a heart.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/30/2015, 08:58 PMYesterday, I beat Cadash. Very good game, though it's a double edged sword. You need to grind in order to survive, but over-leveling allows you to destroy bosses in seconds. Still great hack and slash gameplay. Definitely an A game.

Today, I beat Dragon Egg. Not a hard game at all, once you get homing fireballs. If you die, you are reduced to a little girl with no range or power in her attacks. A C game, there are better platformers on the PCE. There's also a bug with the Cure, as it's very inconsistent with how often you get health back. For example, I bought 3 of them from the store and nothing happened. Sometimes it gives one heart and other times half a heart.
CURE: Perhaps cure was trying to mimic RPG mechanics (I am using D&D as a reference) where you "roll the dice" to see if the cure worked and, if it did, you "roll the dice" again to see how effective it was.

This is not a bug, then, but an intentional decision to make the game less predictable (for the player) and not absurdly easy...

...Even though the game is absurdly easy, anyway.

:)

EmperorIng

I finally jumped into Xak II after beating Xak I's laughably easy final boss (I hit the level cap long before I reached him).

The game decided to up the ante with enemy damage-scaling so much that it has gone from fun to frustrating. Not one hour into Xak II and enemies easily kill in two hits, making careful grinding (which is the only remedy for the situation) a bit of a pain.

One of the options on the menu is for "Force Shot." I assume it's a ripoff of Ys II's fire magic, but I can't get it to work. Does anyone who has played the game know anything about it?

EDIT: I needed to infuse my weapons with magic, enabling force shot. With the added range attack, I have resumed my utter decimating of this game's enemy forces. The bosses are now extra pathetic, as they can't even move before dying.

I feel like the balancing of this game is very wonky. You can't cheese your way out of the boss-fights in Ys like you can here.

RRR

Alt-Nintega

WOOT!  =D> Finally beat both Bonk's Adventure and Revenge on Turbo Express!!! The game play on Turbo Express is much harder (especially on Revenge). For me the main reason were the controls. These games are so much easier with a Turbo Pad.

The folk who have done the Turbo Pad mod for your Express, now I see why you did that mod :D  =D> Before I used to think wow, wtf do they need a controller to play Express? Yep, much easier with controller.

seieienbu

I got a 1 life clear on Gate of Thunder a bit ago and since then I've been trying to get a 1 life clear of Lords of Thunder for a while.  I'm close but keep dying on Cielom because I'm too stupid to dodge the tracking fireballs. 

Once I'm done I think I'll move on to Blazing Lazers next.

EvilEvoIX

Re playing Dracula X as I left my DUO unpluged for too long and lost my 100% completion file.  I think I have the game save on a card somewhere but it rather play the stupid game again as I never beat it with Richter, just Maria.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NecroPhile

Unified duos, Dracula X is stupid, and you don't have enough wing to beat it with Richter?  Cool story, brah.

EvilEvoIX

I've made it to the very end with Richter but could not quite get out of the way of the giant monster thingy.  With Maria it's cake but I'll try again with Richter.  Just a solid play through and get my skills going.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

seieienbu

Valis 2 is a good deal worse than I remembered it!  The only game I can really compare it to, gameplay wise, is Talespin.  In both games I advanced while attacking because of the speed of everything running at me. 

...good soundtrack though.

Lord Thag

Having finally got the old TG16 hooked up again, I have been throwing cards at it all weekend. So far I have been enjoying R Type, Soldier Blade, Bonk, and Alien Crush the most
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

T2KFreeker

Just got Parasol Stars again yesterday, so played it for a couple hours. Forgot how fun it was but got distracted by a couple other games. Beat ninja Spirit for the first tiem in years again. Yeah, that stupid ninja falling Maze at the end was making me mad until I remembered the secret to beating it...LOL. Good stuff. Finished it off with some mindless Vigilante. i haven't played in a bit so was all happiness...howsit all?
END OF LINE.

EmperorIng

The ninja pit is infuriating (outside of the safe spot), but man, what great atmosphere. Perfect Irem darkness!

===

Beat Fray in Magical Adventure. Of the three Xak games I've played thus far, I think this is the best one. Even if it's rather easy, it's at least balanced for easiness (or just in general better-balanced) than Xak I&II's chump-fest. Bosses actually stay on screen long enough to see all their attack pattern! The final boss and level is even fairly challenging! Wow, is this really a Xak game??? Maybe Xak III will change my mind (looking forward to playing a Xak game in English!), but it's funny that the cutesy gaiden manages to out-game the main series where it matters.

esteban

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 07/29/2015, 11:53 PMJust got Parasol Stars again yesterday, so played it for a couple hours. Forgot how fun it was but got distracted by a couple other games. Beat ninja Spirit for the first tiem in years again. Yeah, that stupid ninja falling Maze at the end was making me mad until I remembered the secret to beating it...LOL. Good stuff. Finished it off with some mindless Vigilante. i haven't played in a bit so was all happiness...howsit all?
I always go back to those games.

I used to laugh at the thought of ever playing Vigilante again (I felt cheated for getting it in 1989, but played it to death for years since I was a kid with no $$$)...

...now, I appreciate  more than I ever did. Ha!

grolt

Quote from: esteban on 07/30/2015, 08:04 AM
Quote from: T2KFreeker on 07/29/2015, 11:53 PMJust got Parasol Stars again yesterday, so played it for a couple hours. Forgot how fun it was but got distracted by a couple other games. Beat ninja Spirit for the first tiem in years again. Yeah, that stupid ninja falling Maze at the end was making me mad until I remembered the secret to beating it...LOL. Good stuff. Finished it off with some mindless Vigilante. i haven't played in a bit so was all happiness...howsit all?
I always go back to those games.

I used to laugh at the thought of ever playing Vigilante again (I felt cheated for getting it in 1989, but played it to death for years since I was a kid with no $$$)...

...now, I appreciate  more than I ever did. Ha!
I always just liked how relentless the very start of the game is.  You pretty much just stand there and kick 9 guys in the face as they keep walking towards you in droves.  At first I thought the game's simplicity (you can't walk up and down the screen like most beat 'em ups like DOUBLE DRAGON or STREETS OF RAGE, your attack options are very limited) was a turn off, but over the years I've come to appreciate it as a mindless masher.  There's something super cathartic about endlessly just pummeling the first stage boss as he just stands there an takes the nunchucks like a man.
I'm a notorious strange man.

wildfruit

After completing Ys IV and Ys III I shall now attempt Ys I & II. Well after my holiday I will.

grolt

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/02/2015, 06:17 PMAfter completing Ys IV and Ys III I shall now attempt Ys I & II. Well after my holiday I will.
Ys II is a bit too maze-like and repetitive for my tastes, but Ys I is one of my favorite games.  Love the world, the bump-into-shit mechanics are surprisingly addicting, and the music is on another plane - and I'm speaking of the SMS version...I'm sure the CD version is the stuff of legend.  How is IV, that's one of the few Ys games I've yet to play?  Wish they'd release the remake on something other than the PS Vita...
I'm a notorious strange man.

turboswimbz

Quote from: grolt on 08/02/2015, 06:27 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/02/2015, 06:17 PMAfter completing Ys IV and Ys III I shall now attempt Ys I & II. Well after my holiday I will.
Ys II is a bit too maze-like and repetitive for my tastes, but Ys I is one of my favorite games.  Love the world, the bump-into-shit mechanics are surprisingly addicting, and the music is on another plane - and I'm speaking of the SMS version...I'm sure the CD version is the stuff of legend.  How is IV, that's one of the few Ys games I've yet to play?  Wish they'd release the remake on something other than the PS Vita...
4 is good, I enjoyed it more than 3.   If you have TG CD capability there was a fan translation done that is down right awesome.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

munchiaz

NecroPhile

I'm currently trying to play Magicoal, but I think I'm stuck.  :|