TOP TEN CDROM STINKERS SURVEY

Started by OldRover, 02/26/2008, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Okay...worst ten CDROM games. Go! :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Sinistron

ahhh I haven't played enough sucky cd games to list ten.
I will say however that that Travel Epuru game sucks it long and hard.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

OldRover

My entries:

1. Shape Shifter
2. Shape Shifter
3. Shape Shifter
4. Shape Shifter
5. Shape Shifter
6. Shape Shifter
7. Shape Shifter
8. Shape Shifter
9. Shape Shifter
10. Shape Shifter

Oh wait...it has to be 10 unique entries. Well then, let me try again:

1. Shape Shifter
2. Fighting Street
3. Golden Axe
4. Monster Lair
5. Magical Dinosaur Tour
6. Prince Of Persia
7. Super Air Zonk
8. Valis III
9. Ys III
10. The Addams Family

I actually do like The Addams Family, but it is most certainly one of the biggest stinkers released on CD.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Sinistron

wow you like Addam's Family more than Ys III?  :-k
IMG
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

MurderDate

SHITS INSANE AROUND HERE !!!!!
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

OldRover

I can't STAND Ys III. The voice acting is TERRIBLE, the scrolling gives me a headache, and the control is pretty substandard (though not nearly as bad as Shape Shifter). At least the music rocks hardcore and the story's pretty good. The Addams Family though...the game plays somewhat badly, the graphics are weak, and the voice acting is pretty lame, but it just has some kind of charm that I can't ignore...still, overall, it's a pretty bad game so it makes my top ten list of smellies.

nat

I've come to the conclusion that Nod dislikes all good games.  :lol:

OldRover

Quote from: nat on 02/26/2008, 12:17 PMI've come to the conclusion that Nod dislikes all good games.  :lol:
No...that'd be FM-77.

NecroPhile

Wow, The Old Rover's harsh.  Here's mine:

1. Baby Jo the Super Hero
2. Bikini Girls
3. Hawiian Island Girls
4. The Local Girls Of Hawaii
5. Fighting Street
6. Burai
7. all ten Rom Rom Karaoke discs
8. Magical Dinosaur Tour
9. Cosmic Fantasy Visual Collection
10. Slime World
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 02/26/2008, 12:21 PMWow, The Old Rover's harsh.
I'm not harsh, I just know a stinker when I play one. :D

td741

Hmm... Ahh...

1. Golden Axe (sorry, too much wasted potential)
2. Sim Earth (takes all save game memory and I always over cool the planet)It
3. JB Harold Murder Club (some might consider this blasphemous)
4. Road Spirits (just dull)
5. It Came from the Desert (sure FMV was neat but the game is unplayable.)
6.  Battlefield '94 In Super Battle Dream (this is an ACD game?!)
7. Magical Dinosaur Tour (okay for what it is but some elements are probably out of date by now.)
8. Camp California
9. Lords of the Rising Sun
10. Shapeshifter

OldRover

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Golden Axe. Man, what a piece of trash. That probably should replace one of the entries in my list...gonna update it now.

Sinistron

I love JB Harold but I can see why some would include as a piece of shit.  It actually goes against what I said about Tricky Kick sucking hard in the top ten suckiest hucards thread- there really isn't any action in JB Harold.  What I love about it though is the hilarious voice acting, the excellent story, the long line of red herrings, and the fucking awesome jazz numbers.
IMG

guyjin

Joe Redifer

I wasn't too fond of The Manhole.  I also have some soccer game (Hot Blooded Soccer maybe?) that came as a package deal with some other games and it's only OK.  Also, Loom sucks.

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/26/2008, 12:23 PMI'm not harsh, I just know a stinker when I play one. :D
Fair enough, but why such disdain for Super Air Zonk?

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 02/26/2008, 04:44 PMFair enough, but why such disdain for Super Air Zonk?
I think it has to do with momentum. The original Air Zonk was an innovator; it brought a whole mess of unique concepts to shmups. But by the time its sequel was introduced, these concepts had become largely stale, and many of the experimental ideas from Air Zonk that actually WORKED were removed...leaving behind an overall lackluster game. Momentum killed, product suffered greatly. Super Air Zonk is just boring, especially compared to its prequel.

NecroPhile

That's solid reasoning, when compared to the Air Zonk.  It's still fun for me, but it definitely lost a lot of the original's magic (and parallax  ](*,)).

rag-time4

The only CD game in my collection that really sucks is Legion. Alright, and as much of a fan of Street Fighter 1 as I am, Fighting Street sucks too... the button timing is just... ahhhhh ](*,)

turbofan1

Alright here`s my top ten worst cd games-

1.Sherlock Holmes The Consulting Detective vol.1 TG-CD
2.Ys III TG-CD
3.Jim Power In Mutant Planet Pc Engine-SCD
4.Horror Story Pc Engine-SCD
5.Dragon Slayer The Legend Of Heroes TG-SCD
6.Ys I&II TG-CD
7.Super Air Zonk TG-SCD
8.Renny Blaster Pc Engine-SCD
9.Bonk III TG-SCD
10.Image Fight II Pc Engine-SCD

Sinistron

:lol: Sherlock Holmes- now that one really is a toilet snake!  :lol:
IMG

OldRover

Hrm...didn't expect to see Image Fight II make anyone's list, but at least I'm not the only one who didn't like Ys III.

esteban

Goddam Nod, Monster Lair is an absolutely killer game. Of course, if you don't have fun with the game, I can see why you wouldn't want to play it. But it isn't a STINKER! It does everything right (except for the the pre-boss segments being a tad too long and repetitious).

Man, I love Monster Lair.

I always love reading your thoughts, though, because you've offered interesting explanations for most things.

I'd put FINAL ZONE II on the STINKER list because that game should have been at least 1/20th as fun as Final Alert / Red Alert.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

Final Zone 2 did more to piss me off than to entertain me, though I did finally beat it and suddenly it became very easy.  I guess I didn't like it enough to keep it, because I no longer have it.

Sinistron

I beat final zone II back in the day- but since I no longer own it can't list it on pcedaiusuken (yeah I always mangle that site's name) as "cleared".   :cry:
is it really that bad?  It's been a while...
I must say though - some of these top ten lists are completely absurd- imo.  I get kicks out of absurdity though so don't consider me a complainer!  :D
IMG

Beld VanGuard

Quote from: Sinistron on 02/26/2008, 08:41 PMI beat final zone II back in the day- but since I no longer own it can't list it on pcedaiusuken (yeah I always mangle that site's name) as "cleared".   :cry:
I must say though - some of these top ten lists are completely absurd- imo.  I get kicks out of absurdity though so don't consider me a complainer!  :D
For some random fresh views on Final Zone II, I just recently got the game from ebay (got it yesterday). I bought it purely based on the funny voice acting, and that I liked Commando, and it looked like Commando with Mecha-suits. Now, not counting the cut scenes, which are horrid, don't help the story one bit, but are endlessly entertaining....the game breaks down like this.

Pros
+Decent graphics
+Very fast moving character
+Multiple Character Choices
+Fast action

Now the problem is...

Cons

-Game is amazingly incredibly short (I beat it in 2 hours, only 7 lvls?)
-1 random horrid space shooter level
-Forced to play 2 characters several times and only getting 2 chances to play (imo) the 2 best characters
-NO SHOOTING WHILE MOVING, WTF
-Infuriating "explosive damage" mechanics
-Restrictive level designs
-Very easy once you get used to it
-NO MULTIPLAYER

The few things the game does right, it shoots itself in the god damn foot on. Multiple characters that are (mostly) very different? Hell yes. Too bad were pigeon holed into playing the main character or his wife (who are almost the same) most of the game, and since the game is SO bloody short, there isn't even a chance to correct this. The action is nice and fast, but not being able to run and shoot takes away from the "Commando" experience. I have NEVER played a game of this style that forced me to shoot and move, it wasn't strategic, it was aggravating. Especially considering how many of the other level and enemy unit mechanics play out, particuarily some of the mini-boss routines, it hobbles your character, and thus fun factor, greatly. Plus in the short 7 levels, I can name several times where the game suddenly restricted where I could walk (again, mostly boss battles) forcing me to play a certain way not condusive to feel of the game (or sane strategy)

Again, voice acting/cutscenes aside, this is a game with a ton of potential that did everything it could to cut it's own nuts off, or cripple it's few original fun ideas. The game needed 12-24 levels, maybe a password feature if the levels remained as long as they are. It needed full access to all the characters, co-op mode, shooting while moving, more boss variety, and no random restrictions on your movement capabilities.

I'm not mad I bought it, I got it pretty cheap...but I wouldn't have paid what I did had I known. Final Zone II gets a 4/10, I had fun, but I had to fight for it, and when I finally won my fun, the game was long over.

Ya that can be in the top 10 worst CD's, if for nothing else, the missed opportunities.

Whew...rant over lol

Mobius

Haha... I have 10 CD games, and 6 of them have shown up on these lists so far.  I dunno if Valis III really belongs on the list of worst games, though.  It's an awfully generic action game, but it's not bad.

Joe Redifer

Beld VanGuard, you forgot to list the bitch getting her face slapped in the "Pro" column.  :)

spenoza

You know, thanks to emulation most of us have probably played enough HuCard games to have a feel for what sucks and what doesn't, but, and I can only speak for myself here, I haven't played many of the crappy CD games. I've largely just avoided them altogether. It's just too much work to play the stinkers. That means I really can't meaningfully contribute to a list. And worst is always harder than best, because so few people go out of their way to play crap games.

Beld VanGuard

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/26/2008, 10:25 PMBeld VanGuard, you forgot to list the bitch getting her face slapped in the "Pro" column.  :)
Rofl, as I said, I left the cutscene info out.

However, yes, that scene was gold. I was sitting there with 2 friends, and I had just said "man I hope he just slaps the hell out of her, too bad they don't do that kinda stuff in...WHOA HAHAHHA"

NecroPhile

Quote from: turbofan1 on 02/26/2008, 08:12 PMAlright here`s my top ten worst cd games-
Ys I&II and Bonk III?!?  I wanna punch you in the ovaries.  :(

:lol:

Turbo D

Yet he likes Buster Bros.  :-s  [-(
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

OldRover

People, stop taking these lists personally. No need for ridicule just because someone likes a game you don't like, and vice versa. :P

awack

1: Algunos
2: Baby jo
3: legion
4: Golden Axe
5: Addams Family
6: Martial Champion
7: Genocide
8: Hawk F-123
9: Jim Power
10: Browning

Thanks, i once called gate of thunder, gates of thunder [-X
Martial champion has poor gameplay with stiff animation but the background graphics are actually good. I forgot about Black Hole Assault, thats another stinky dinky doo doo.

OldRover

runinruder

Astralius
Burai
Burai II
F1 Circus Special
Fighting Street
Gotzendiener
Iga Ninden Gaou
Last Armageddon
SimEarth
Yawara!
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Arjak

Quote from: turbofan1 on 02/26/2008, 08:12 PMAlright here`s my top ten worst cd games-

1.Sherlock Holmes The Consulting Detective vol.1 TG-CD
2.Ys III TG-CD
3.Jim Power In Mutant Planet Pc Engine-SCD
4.Horror Story Pc Engine-SCD
5.Dragon Slayer The Legend Of Heroes TG-SCD
6.Ys I&II TG-CD
7.Super Air Zonk TG-SCD
8.Renny Blaster Pc Engine-SCD
9.Bonk III TG-SCD
10.Image Fight II Pc Engine-SCD
Yeah, why is the Ys series and Legend of Heroes on your list!? Those are some of the best games for the console!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

OldRover

Quote from: Arjak on 02/27/2008, 11:54 AMYeah, why is the Ys series and Legend of Heroes on your list!? Those are some of the best games for the console!
That's YOUR opinion. But he obviously doesn't like them. That's HIS opinion. It's that simple.

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 02/27/2008, 12:37 PMThat's YOUR opinion. But he obviously doesn't like them. That's HIS opinion. It's that simple.
Of course it is, but there's nothing wrong with asking someone why they dislike a game or expressing astonishment at someones choices.  The 'ten best' threads would be more boring than watching corn grow if they were nothing but lists and no discussion was allowed.

Sinistron

I like to talk about it as well.  I'm not trying to be offensive when I say another person's list is "ludicrous"- just being good natured about it is all. 
Now if someone was like -
WHAT ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE?  ASSHOLE!
that'd be a little different.  But I think- speaking for myself anway- that we're all having fun here and everyone obviously knows that we each have our own opinions.
IMG

Kitsunexus

No, his list is OBVIOUSLY bullshit, he took all the best CD games and put them on a list. You can't take EVERYTHING you read on the internet seriously, you know.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

NecroPhile

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 02/27/2008, 01:34 PMNo, his list is OBVIOUSLY bullshit, he took all the best CD games and put them on a list. You can't take EVERYTHING you read on the internet seriously, you know.
I think not.  You won't find many that'll agree with you that Sherlock Holmes, Jim Power, Renny Blaster, and Horror Story are among the finest that the PCE has to offer.

By the way, where's your list?  Have you even played ten CD games yet, or just the HuCards?

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/27/2008, 02:01 PM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 02/27/2008, 01:34 PMNo, his list is OBVIOUSLY bullshit, he took all the best CD games and put them on a list. You can't take EVERYTHING you read on the internet seriously, you know.
I think not.  You won't find many that'll agree with you that Sherlock Holmes, Jim Power, Renny Blaster, and Horror Story are among the finest that the PCE has to offer.

By the way, where's your list?  Have you even played ten CD games yet, or just the HuCards?
Kitsune doesn't play any real video games. Just FPS garbage on the computer. :)

esteban

Quote from: Beld VanGuard on 02/26/2008, 09:38 PM
Quote from: Sinistron on 02/26/2008, 08:41 PMI beat final zone II back in the day- but since I no longer own it can't list it on pcedaiusuken (yeah I always mangle that site's name) as "cleared".   :cry:
For some random fresh views on Final Zone II, I just recently got the game from ebay (got it yesterday). I bought it purely based on the funny voice acting, and that I liked Commando, and it looked like Commando with Mecha-suits. Now, not counting the cut scenes, which are horrid, don't help the story one bit, but are endlessly entertaining....the game breaks down like this.

Pros
+Decent graphics
+Very fast moving character
+Multiple Character Choices
+Fast action

Now the problem is...

Cons

-Game is amazingly incredibly short (I beat it in 2 hours, only 7 lvls?)
-1 random horrid space shooter level
-Forced to play 2 characters several times and only getting 2 chances to play (imo) the 2 best characters
-NO SHOOTING WHILE MOVING, WTF
-Infuriating "explosive damage" mechanics
-Restrictive level designs
-Very easy once you get used to it
-NO MULTIPLAYER

The few things the game does right, it shoots itself in the god damn foot on. Multiple characters that are (mostly) very different? Hell yes. Too bad were pigeon holed into playing the main character or his wife (who are almost the same) most of the game, and since the game is SO bloody short, there isn't even a chance to correct this. The action is nice and fast, but not being able to run and shoot takes away from the "Commando" experience. I have NEVER played a game of this style that forced me to shoot and move, it wasn't strategic, it was aggravating. Especially considering how many of the other level and enemy unit mechanics play out, particuarily some of the mini-boss routines, it hobbles your character, and thus fun factor, greatly. Plus in the short 7 levels, I can name several times where the game suddenly restricted where I could walk (again, mostly boss battles) forcing me to play a certain way not condusive to feel of the game (or sane strategy)

Again, voice acting/cutscenes aside, this is a game with a ton of potential that did everything it could to cut it's own nuts off, or cripple it's few original fun ideas. The game needed 12-24 levels, maybe a password feature if the levels remained as long as they are. It needed full access to all the characters, co-op mode, shooting while moving, more boss variety, and no random restrictions on your movement capabilities.

I'm not mad I bought it, I got it pretty cheap...but I wouldn't have paid what I did had I known. Final Zone II gets a 4/10, I had fun, but I had to fight for it, and when I finally won my fun, the game was long over.

Ya that can be in the top 10 worst CD's, if for nothing else, the missed opportunities.

Whew...rant over lol
I actually like the music in Final Zone II, and, guess what, I actually like our arch-nemesis, the cyborg doctor (his name escapes me at the moment).... they could have really done something with him.

I won't rant right now, but I REALLY love the songs with the vocals. I used to have the lyrics for the songs and FZII wallpapers on an old website.

I agree with your analysis of the game. I wouldn't mind the brainless level design if the controls / play mechanics weren't so horribly flawed. I do like the "electric whip" weapon that you can swing around (who's the character that has this? Velder?)... but outside of this weapon, there is no fluidity in the game (and I'm being overly generous).

I like Commando, and it wasn't perfectly executed either (as far as play mechanics are concerned). This puts FZII in its own class of annoying. I'm not going to say that Gunsmoke was the ultimate improvement on Commando, but I think FZII would have benefitted greatly from a competently executed "Gunsmoke"-sort of play mechanic. I think it would have been neat and a tad less generic than what we got.

turbofan1

Um yeah I  put that list up there just to try piss everybody off.Just because some off the long time members in here say A game like Ys is a great game,it does not necessarily mean that it is.Besides that,I doubt you actually spend any time playing turbo grafx/pc engine games anyways.I have tried playing Ys numerous times,I could not ever get in to it.And the same goes for Ds:loh.And somebody else said Renny blaster and horror story where two of the best pc engine games.You have to be kidding me man.

guyjin

Quote from: turbo D on 02/27/2008, 01:28 AMYet he likes Buster Bros.  :-s  [-(
buster brothers is good! not the greatest CD ever, but it's not bad.

Sinistron

There should be an added survey here- like- WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN SMOKING?
Most of these games are fogging slamming!  :lol:
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: OldRover on 02/27/2008, 01:30 AMPeople, stop taking these lists personally. No need for ridicule just because someone likes a game you don't like, and vice versa. :P
Oh don't be such a pussy.

Anyway, I have only played about half the PCE library, and I've probably played most of the great games, and missed a lot of the bad ones so I'm not very knowledgeable about the really shitty stuff. Basically these are games that really disappointed me, although I'm sure there is worse stuff:

Renny Blaster: This thing sucks. Sure is a better game than, say, Energy, but I hate it far more.

Neketsu Soccer: This sucks because its basically the FC version with 1% better graphics and some really shitty cinemas thrown in. I love Neketsu games, but this one was just an excuse to reprint the game.

Cal II: Terrible.

Cal III: The terrible sequel.

Tony Hawk's Riot Zone: A mediocre rip off of the mediocre Final Fight. Boring a tedious as hell.

Martial Champions: I hated the arcade game, and this version is even worse. I'm a huge fan of 2nd tier fighting games (Vampire, Waku Waku 7, Real Bout), but this thing isn't even close to 2nd tier.

Graduation: I fucking hate this perverted shit. I mean, something like Prostitute Maker (DOS) is far less offensive to me since its honest, outright nastiness. Graduation is totally G rated on the surface, but truly ota were spanking themselves to this thing 24/7, and it makes my stomach turn.

...that's all I can think of.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: esteban on 02/27/2008, 09:29 PM

Kitsune doesn't play any real video games. Just FPS garbage on the computer. :)
YOU FUCKING IDIOTS! CAN YOU NOT READ! I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU! ALL THOSE GAMES ARE CLASSICS! THEY ARE GOOD! WTF IS WRONG WITH THE BOTH OF YOU?
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

SignOfZeta

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how Kitsunexus accumulated a 3721 post count.
IMG