Tell me about arcade joysticks!

Started by ClodBusted, 04/26/2016, 05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClodBusted

Hi guys,
Inspired by this topic https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=20853.15;topicseen , I decided to create another thread.
since where I live, video game arcades were pretty much non-existant in my childhood, I never really experienced arcade machines. The few times I got my hands on arcade joysticks have been either abroad or when visiting the local Berlin computer game museum (were I played some Donkey Kong. And sucked bad). Sometimes, I hear people talking on the web or in magazines about arcade joysticks for consoles and why they are so great for e.g. fighting games and shooters.

In 2014, a good friend gifted me his JB King joystick. Here's a video of one of these things:
I tried playing some shooters on my SNES, but I couldn't really get into it. It's just that I have a feeling that I can't use its big stick as precise and fast as a small d-pad.
But since I never had much of a choice of trying other arcade sticks, I can't really judge if I either just am bad with these, or if a good arcade joystick would make more fun. Hell, I can't even tell if the JB King is good at all. It feels nice, has lots of weight, well the L and R buttons are placed so wrong (should be rather like a Sega 6 button layout), but otherwise?

So I'd like to hear what you've got to say. What's the do's and don't's with these controllers? I'm also asking because I wonder if it is worth modding the JB King to work with other consoles (let's say.... my TurboDuo, surprise).

EDIT: Replaced the video with one that has sound.

Gredler

I love playing shooters with a arcade stick, as much as I like playing fighting games with an arcade stick. To me it's like using a mouse and keyboard for a FPS, or a mouse for a RTS, I really think it changes the experience and makes it so much more engrossing.

I leave my PS3 fightstick at work usually and play shooters on my breaks with it, I love it :)

IMG

SignOfZeta

I think you should just stick to a pad. People buy arcade sticks because that's what they are used to or because they are better for fighters (hence the "wrong" six button layout on this stick). If you don't have that need there is no reason to engineer it. It would be like taking up smoking at the age of 40, it just doesn't make sense.
IMG

Joe Redifer

That button layout on that PS3 stick two posts above mine is right on! Except I don't need 8 goddamn buttons. 6 is fine.

I want to get a couple of good arcade sticks with a DB9 connector for my Supergun, but I know they're super expensive. However my requirements would be:
-6 button layout (two rows of three).
-A "select" and "start: button used for inserting coins and starting the damn game.
-Plain design. No friggin' spaceship or hyper-detailed drawing with 1,000 fighters.
-Sturdy and weighty.
-DB9 connector.

Does such a thing exist?

I find that I'm MUCH better at certain games with joysticks, mainly fighting games. And I'm used to a pad.

ClodBusted

Joe, you gave me an idea. Since the company I am working for has its own metal workshop, I may just ask one of my colleagues if he could build me a Joystick case out of metal sheet if I provide him with CAD drawings and a crate of beer. Or I just build my own case made of plywood and lacquer/paint it as I like to with water resistant paint. I've got enough woodworking tools anyway at home. Things like buttons, microswitches and sticks shouldn't be that hard to source, should they? In the case itself, there would be plenty of room left for controller adaptor circuitry...

I guess I'm not the first one with such thoughts, though. But doing wood work is just a fun hobby of mine.

Otherwise, yeah why reinventing the wheel when there are readily available solutions out there. And Zeta, thanks for your honest response.

Gredler, that Gradius design on your stick is freaking awesome.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 04/27/2016, 04:48 AMJoe, you gave me an idea. Since the company I am working for has its own metal workshop, I may just ask one of my colleagues if he could build me a Joystick case out of metal sheet if I provide him with CAD drawings and a crate of beer. Or I just build my own case made of plywood and lacquer/paint it as I like to with water resistant paint. I've got enough woodworking tools anyway at home. Things like buttons, microswitches and sticks shouldn't be that hard to source, should they? In the case itself, there would be plenty of room left for controller adaptor circuitry...

I guess I'm not the first one with such thoughts, though. But doing wood work is just a fun hobby of mine.

Otherwise, yeah why reinventing the wheel when there are readily available solutions out there. And Zeta, thanks for your honest response.

Gredler, that Gradius design on your stick is freaking awesome.
Thanks, it was 3$ and a bit of exacto  cutting to put it on there, it used to be this:

wwe-brawlstick-xbox.jpg

I almost left it blank when I replaced the buttons and stick, but took a shot at purtying it up and was happy with the result. It's my only desk trinket in an office adorned with pop figures and various statues, so I am glad I am not alone in thinking it is nice looking. Gradius is what got me into the genre, so I wanted my first stick mod to show that.

There are a ton of guides and templates for crafting your own stick, and honestly that's the way to go. Only reason I used this brawlstick was the 30 new in box price I got it for on amazon years back.

Initially I hated the 8 buttons, because I mostly played old fighters poorly, but after playing some modern games with  it I actually  use most if not all. Deaths miles especially uses all *. Though most of the games I enjoy use 2 or 3 lol.

Like zeta said, if you don't enjoy using a stick don't get one. For me it's like using a racing wheel for a flight yoke - the mechanism behind the controller  type creates an entirely different and very visceral joy :)

bartre

wwe-brawlstick-xbox.jpg
I am never putting art on one of those sticks ever again.
holy fuck it's a pain in the ass.

If i ever have to mod another one i'm just getting the metal plate powder coated and calling it a day.

though clod, in all honesty, it's personal preference.
I will say that i prefer a stick, but all mine are pretty high grade.

seieienbu

I love nice arcade sticks for almost any sort of game:  obviously fighting games, shooters (both run-and-gun and spaceship style), puzzle games, brawlers, even platformers.  If I don't need to control a camera or a steering wheel then I'd rather play with a joystick.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

poponon

Quote from: Gredler on 04/26/2016, 07:11 PMI love playing shooters with a arcade stick, as much as I like playing fighting games with an arcade stick. To me it's like using a mouse and keyboard for a FPS, or a mouse for a RTS, I really think it changes the experience and makes it so much more engrossing.

I leave my PS3 fightstick at work usually and play shooters on my breaks with it, I love it :)
very cool stick. and where the hell do you work and how do i apply?

Gredler

Quote from: poponon on 04/28/2016, 01:14 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 04/26/2016, 07:11 PMI love playing shooters with a arcade stick, as much as I like playing fighting games with an arcade stick. To me it's like using a mouse and keyboard for a FPS, or a mouse for a RTS, I really think it changes the experience and makes it so much more engrossing.

very cool stick. and where the hell do you work and how do i apply?
Thanks, it's not elite but it's enough for a layman like myself :) I work at High Moon Studios in San Diego, and we are hiring send me a pm if you qualify, I can put in a good word :) http://www.highmoonstudios.com/careers

poponon

Quote from: Gredler on 04/28/2016, 01:57 PMThanks, it's not elite but it's enough for a layman like myself :) I work at High Moon Studios in San Diego, and we are hiring send me a pm if you qualify, I can put in a good word :) http://www.highmoonstudios.com/careers
Cool looking company , that's awesome you guys are working with Destiny. I'm in biotech industry , I don't  know if i could help you guys with anything :P thanks for the thought though. Now i just have to convince my boss to let me play video games on my break.

ya right  :cry:

gheebee

I've been pretty happy with my X-Arcade Tankstick but I will probably need to invoke the lifetime warranty on it soon because one of my sticks doesn't feel right (still works fine, just feels a bit odd/loose...). That is the one complaint I hear the most about these things, the sticks are cheap. On the plus side these come with a lifetime warranty and I hear that it is not very hard to replace the sticks with ones considered better. For me, the only downside to it is it's size as it is so big and heavy that you need to put it on something and either sit or stand in front of it, you can't put it on your lap.

Groover

I love my PS3 TE stick. It works great with my mac. I played my SNES with a Capcom Fighting Stick and my Genesis with an arcade stick. I love playing fighting games with a stick and arcade games like castle crashers. I'm tempted to buy a PS4 TE2 stick but I would rather spend the money on TG16/PC-Engine games first.
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: Groover on 05/03/2016, 03:05 PMI love my PS3 TE stick. It works great with my mac. I played my SNES with a Capcom Fighting Stick and my Genesis with an arcade stick. I love playing fighting games with a stick and arcade games like castle crashers. I'm tempted to buy a PS4 TE2 stick but I would rather spend the money on TG16/PC-Engine games first.
Most PS3 sticks work with PS4 just fine.

TR0N

Quote from: Gredler on 05/03/2016, 03:07 PM
Quote from: Groover on 05/03/2016, 03:05 PMI love my PS3 TE stick. It works great with my mac. I played my SNES with a Capcom Fighting Stick and my Genesis with an arcade stick. I love playing fighting games with a stick and arcade games like castle crashers. I'm tempted to buy a PS4 TE2 stick but I would rather spend the money on TG16/PC-Engine games first.
No they don't not without a adapter of some kind with the software.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

majors

The Tekken 5 PS2 anniversary stick was a solid el cheapo stick to get back when it was liquidated for $20 (with T5!). It a basic HRAP and with some easy modding, could be made to connect to about anything. I used a $5 PS3 3rd party controller that I hacked for the PCB to use it for PC and PS3. Updated it with a "real" JLF, changed out the buttons and striped and re-painted the CP.

[edit] I found a better pic:
lost: /0B6XVC48SOj4KVkdxWHNzZkJ0Szg

Tekken5-Hori-Arcade-Stick.webp
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Gredler

Quote from: TR0N on 05/04/2016, 05:01 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative but what ps3 sticks don't work with ps4? Granted few games support arcade sticks at all (Street fighter, mortal kombat) but what else is there to play on ps4 you'd want an arcade stick for? I've tested with a couple madcats sticks and have had fine success using my my ps3 stick on my ps4, and use it mostly on my PC.

roflmao

I picked up an X-Arcade Dual Joystick along with a bunch of console adapters during a Black Friday deal 3 or 4 years ago and have been very happy with it.

x-arcade-dual-joystick.jpg
http://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-dual-joystick-usb-included

I know there are joystick elitists out there that think these are shit, but I guess I'm not enough of a hardcore gamer to get it. They come with a lifetime guarantee and when I had issues with one of the switches, they sent me enough spare parts to pretty much rebuild it if I ever need to.

GaijinD

Quote from: Gredler on 05/04/2016, 02:14 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 05/04/2016, 05:01 AMI don't mean to be argumentative but what ps3 sticks don't work with ps4? Granted few games support arcade sticks at all (Street fighter, mortal kombat) but what else is there to play on ps4 you'd want an arcade stick for? I've tested with a couple madcats sticks and have had fine success using my my ps3 stick on my ps4, and use it mostly on my PC.
Technically, no PS3 controller works on PS4 unless the game includes a driver for them. Lab Zero actually commissioned one, which they allow other developers to use, but were only able to get some sticks working: https://skullgirls.com/2015/05/lab-zero-ps3-fight-stick-technology-faq/
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: Gredler on 05/04/2016, 02:14 PMI don't mean to be argumentative but what ps3 sticks don't work with ps4?
I have a USB Saturn pad (Generic, not specifically for PS3). The build quality is actually nearly as good if not as good as a real Sega Saturn pad. Works great with fighting games on PS3. Will NOT work with PS4 because they changed something for some dumb reason. Won't work with fighting games on the Xbox 360 either. That's one thing I hate about consoles that PC's clearly win on (besides graphics). You can use your own USB controllers. Fuck you if you wanna play on a console.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TR0N

Quote from: Gredler on 05/04/2016, 02:14 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 05/04/2016, 05:01 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative but what ps3 sticks don't work with ps4? Granted few games support arcade sticks at all (Street fighter, mortal kombat) but what else is there to play on ps4 you'd want an arcade stick for? I've tested with a couple madcats sticks and have had fine success using my my ps3 stick on my ps4, and use it mostly on my PC.
Hori Real Arcade pro at least the last time checked it didn't work with the PS4.Though there is the brook adapter that get's around that.
http://www.arcadeshock.com/products/brook-converter-various-configurations
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec