RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Hi! I'm New Here!

Started by OceanBlueKirby, 02/07/2008, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OceanBlueKirby

It's been nearly a year since I've been introduced to the true aspects of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16. When I've first heard about it at the end of 2004, I had thought of it as a comical loser of the video game industry with hardly any games at all. A few years later, I've signed up to YouTube with hopes of gaining popularity and a proper social life. At the time shortly after when was addicted to Bomberman, I had stumbled onto one of DigiHatesMakingName's Saturn Bomberman videos. As I looked into his channel, I've noticed that he had a Dragon Spirit BGM video. Curiously, I had viewed it and found the sound to be amazing. I've distinct it as a type of sound between the NES and Sega Genesis. I didn't know what the PC Engine was, however, thinking that it was some sort of early personal computer.

A little later, I've watched his Bomberman '93 videos, and in the comments section of the one showing the ending, I saw that DigiHatesMakingNames had told a user named NewUche1234 that the game was for the PC Engine, AKA the TurboGrafx-16 in the US. I was amazed to find this out, as I thought that I would never see a game for the system (unless perhaps Virtual Console). With this discovery made, I've decided to look into this console more. It was at the time that I've found out about SuperPCEngineGrafx and his website. From it and him, I've learned a great deal of secrets, including the TurboDuo, Magical Chase, Ghouls and Ghosts, critic stupidity, and great soundtracks. He also was able to share his knowledge with me whenever I wanted to know something, and did it impressively well. This, and every other amazing thing that he does, has made him the coolest person I've met online.

On July 7, 2007, I've watched DigiHatesMakingName's Final Soldier video, and a day later, I commented on it, since it was too late in the night for me to do so before. In the comment, I decided to ask if Bomberman was in the Star Soldier games, as I slightly recalled seeing him in screenshots before. He answered my question, telling me that I would need to check out Star Parodier to see him, and vowed to look my hardest for a video in which he would appear in that game. In my search, I had found three relevant videos: a commercial for the game, and two gameplay videos. I decided to simply put the commercial in my quick list, but had to choose between VirtualTurbo's and Sunteam's video to favor, since I only had enough space for one. Sunteam_Paul's video was nearly twice as long, had a superior usage of music, and actually featured footage of Bomberman in play. With this choice, I commented on the video with my thoughts on each of the playable characters, as well. Shortly after, he responded to me on his thoughts on his favorite character to play as. He seemed to be such a nice guy with this, and I ultimately decided to subscribe to him. I noticed, however, that he was making a major update to his website, and seeing that he was working so exhaustively hard on it, I felt that he needed a bit of help or satisfaction within his work, so I decided to comment on many of his videos as I possibly could have an interest/something to say in. He, too, had told me any information that I wanted to know about the games his videos were based upon or pertaining to his website.

As the months had passed, these three users became less active, and the interest in this game console had slightly decreased, as my focus at the time was with my dear friend the Sony PlayStation and the Mega Man videos I was uploading for the holidays. It was raised again as the time to own a Nintendo Wii had drawn closer. I had a great deal of desire to play many of the games that I have seen through Virtual Console.

Alas, even with my birthday over, I still had not gotten my Wii as of yet, partially due to them being difficult to find, and family matters that needed to be dealt with. As both had settled, it'll now be very possible that I will get one soon. I realize that may not fit the "minimal requirement" to at least experience the gameplay by one's self yet, but as that time is nearer, I come here in great desire to be with these friends of mine that I've made, and in hopes that I will be exposed to real gameplay soon.

If anyone can guess who I am on YouTube, that person will get a special treat from me. The prize will depend on the user who answers correctly.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

OldRover

Let me be the first to officially welcome you to the home of all things NEC console related. Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay. :dance:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

nat

OceanBlueKirby?

Either way, welcome to the forums. I hope this is the beginning of a long-lasting relationship with the TurboGrafx/PC Engine. Either way, there's no better place for you to be.

Turbo D

Welcome to the forum dude  :).
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

OceanBlueKirby

Thank you all so far who have welcomed me here. This is the first proper forum I've ever signed up to, so I'm very excited and nervous at the same time  :P!

Quote from: nat on 02/07/2008, 10:55 PMOceanBlueKirby?

Either way, welcome to the forums. I hope this is the beginning of a long-lasting relationship with the TurboGrafx/PC Engine. Either way, there's no better place for you to be.
Heh heh...I won't be able to answer if you guess with a question. I want to make this more harder than it seems :twisted:. I'm impressed that you were able to come up with one since I don't think we've ever met before, Nat.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

nectarsis

Welcome  :)

The Tg-16, & PC Engine will now take over your life...and soul.  Muahahahahahahahahahha
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Ceti Alpha

Welcome GAWK. :) I can already tell you'll be hanging around the "PC Engine Screenshot" boards a lot. Let me also say that I hope you make yourself at home - it certainly isn't hard in this place.  :mrgreen:

QuoteI'm impressed that you were able to come up with one since I don't think we've ever met before, Nat.
I'm certainly not surprised. He spotted me from another forum (Trekweb) right away after only one or two posts.  =D>
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/07/2008, 11:20 PMI'm impressed that you were able to come up with one since I don't think we've ever met before, Nat.
I'm psychic.

Actually, I just recognize you from your questions on YouTube. I don't have an account there, but naturally I've watched many a TG-16 video. Plus OceanBlueKirby + Game and Watch Kirby = You do the math.

So that's my final answer. OceanBlueKirby.

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/07/2008, 11:23 PMWelcome GAWK. :) I can already tell you'll be hanging around the "PC Engine Screenshot" boards a lot. Let me also say that I hope you make yourself at home - it certainly isn't hard in this place.  :mrgreen:
I just may. Those are two boards that I have a great deal of interest in. However, I'm deciding at the moment which topic I should post on after this one.

QuoteI'm certainly not surprised. He spotted me from another forum (Trekweb) right away after only one or two posts.  =D>
Huh. That IS impressive. Yet, I've wondered, too, if I've ever been mentioned before somewhere in these forums? I have been invited over to LaZer Dorks by a topic completely devoted to me  8).

Quote from: nat on 02/07/2008, 11:39 PM
Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/07/2008, 11:20 PMI'm impressed that you were able to come up with one since I don't think we've ever met before, Nat.
I'm psychic.

Actually, I just recognize you from your questions on YouTube. I don't have an account there, but naturally I've watched many a TG-16 video. Plus OceanBlueKirby + Game and Watch Kirby = You do the math.

So that's my final answer. OceanBlueKirby.
I suppose it was a bit obvious. You are correct! I am OceanBlueKirby of YouTube! Your prize will be recieved within the next few days (I don't quite have it set yet).

As I was deciding what to have for my YouTube account months before getting an account, I had thought of the name Ocean Blue Kirby, in dedication to my favorite colored spray paint for Kirby in Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. A little later I thought of the name Game and Watch Kirby, and to me, this was much cooler to use for a name. As I signed up, however, YouTube had informed me that GameandWatchKirby had already been taken, so I had to use the name OceanBlueKirby. I'm glad that I had the opportunity to use this alternate name here.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Welcome to the funny farm!
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TR0N

wElcome tO thE iNsaNe aySlum.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

AND NEVER YOU FORGET ABOUT TO FIGHT THE EVERYTHING!!
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

Welcome!  I already thought you were some member here, though I had no clue which.  But the second I post a Youtube link here, you pop up and that's why I though that.  Anyway, enjoy the forums!

Hobo Xiphas

Postin' in a Turbo related thread.  :-"

Tatsujin

oh and that's one crazy long name :D

Keranu

So OceanBlueKirby decided to join afterall.  :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard, HAR, HAAARRR, HAAAAAARRRRRR!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

Hello, OBK! I STILL LIKE THE PC-FX DRAGON. :P
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2008, 12:25 AMWelcome to the funny farm!
Sometimes, this place really is :mrgreen:!

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/08/2008, 12:41 AMAND NEVER YOU FORGET ABOUT TO FIGHT THE EVERYTHING!!
What is the Everything  :shock:?

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/08/2008, 12:59 AMoh and that's one crazy long name :D
I was going to use the "and (&)" symbol in my name, but since symbols are not accepted in usernames, I had to use the word written out. Mine's probably longer than most others  :P!

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/08/2008, 12:52 AMWelcome!  I already thought you were some member here, though I had no clue which.  But the second I post a Youtube link here, you pop up and that's why I though that.  Anyway, enjoy the forums!
By any chance, did you notice that I was the current newest member before you came onto this board, Joe Redifer? The reason why I knew many of the YouTubers that I've come across's PCEngineFX boards accounts was because I've discovered them while browseing here much often before my membership here. The purpose of it was to try my best to look closely into things before I getting into them.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/08/2008, 01:27 AMMine's probably longer than most others  :P!
Whatever helps you sleep at night...  :roll:

nat

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/08/2008, 01:27 AMMine's probably longer than most others  :P!
You ought to take a lesson from me-- short & utilitarian gets the job done.

Hobo Xiphas

Derrek had a longer name before he took his last ride to school, as did Ernie before he finally ditched his old pants

WoodyXP

Welcome aboard GAWK.  Remember... CLIFF'S NOTES, SON!!! CLIFF'S NOTES!!!!   :lol:
"I bathe in AES carts."

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Keranu on 02/08/2008, 01:06 AMSo OceanBlueKirby decided to join afterall.  :mrgreen:

Welcome aboard, HAR, HAAARRR, HAAAAAARRRRRR!
I had to come here. It was only a matter of time. This forum is much too entertaining not to, especially for individuals fond of any of the NEC products!

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 02/08/2008, 01:11 AMHello, OBK! I STILL LIKE THE PC-FX DRAGON. :P
I also like your current avatar, Kitsunexus. Mega Man certainly fits you. Of course, I didn't say how I felt about the PC-FX without a bit of research first. I found that the PC-FX hardly had any exciting titles at all, let alone exciting ones. Plus, although it is considered to be the most powerful 2-Demensional console ever made, it didn't fare well in the Japanese market at all, and failed to compete with the PlayStation and Sega Saturn, which both were released in the same year as it. Your response to my comment on that video taught me something, however: Be careful about any negative comments, as someone might complain about it eventually.

Quote from: nat on 02/08/2008, 01:34 AM
Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/08/2008, 01:27 AMMine's probably longer than most others  :P!
You ought to take a lesson from me-- short & utilitarian gets the job done.
Ah, I can go any length I want, Nat. It's not like anyone is stopping me :wink:.

Keranu

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/08/2008, 01:59 AMOf course, I didn't say how I felt about the PC-FX without a bit of research first. I found that the PC-FX hardly had any exciting titles at all, let alone exciting ones.
The fun thing about PC-FX is adventuring through it's library to find games that look playable. Even though there aren't many, it still has some neat games if you look hard enough. I think I've counted about 12 before :P . Can't wait until more games are translated and when indie development is active.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

MissaFX

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/08/2008, 01:59 AMI also like your current avatar, Kitsunexus. Mega Man certainly fits you. Of course, I didn't say how I felt about the PC-FX without a bit of research first. I found that the PC-FX hardly had any exciting titles at all, let alone exciting ones. Plus, although it is considered to be the most powerful 2-Demensional console ever made, it didn't fare well in the Japanese market at all, and failed to compete with the PlayStation and Sega Saturn, which both were released in the same year as it. Your response to my comment on that video taught me something, however: Be careful about any negative comments, as someone might complain about it eventually.
The PC-FX might not be the next PC-Engine, but it has some wonderful games.  You just have to really, really like Japanese games.  I don't know how I ever got along without mine.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Ceti Alpha

QuoteWhat is the Everything  Shocked?
It's TEH EVERYTHING.  :P

As for my youtube account name it's completely different than this one, but certainly more obvious in terms of being an NEC fan. I've found a few of you on there. I should really pay more attention to my youtube account and set up my profile better.
IMG

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Missa on 02/08/2008, 04:22 AM
Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/08/2008, 01:59 AMI also like your current avatar, Kitsunexus. Mega Man certainly fits you. Of course, I didn't say how I felt about the PC-FX without a bit of research first. I found that the PC-FX hardly had any exciting titles at all, let alone exciting ones. Plus, although it is considered to be the most powerful 2-Demensional console ever made, it didn't fare well in the Japanese market at all, and failed to compete with the PlayStation and Sega Saturn, which both were released in the same year as it. Your response to my comment on that video taught me something, however: Be careful about any negative comments, as someone might complain about it eventually.
The PC-FX might not be the next PC-Engine, but it has some wonderful games.  You just have to really, really like Japanese games.  I don't know how I ever got along without mine.
I like games made in Japan quite a lot, actually. However, games in Japanese that require an extensive knowledge on the language may yield to be difficult, though not completely impossible.

Quote from: Ceti AlphaAs for my youtube account name it's completely different than this one, but certainly more obvious in terms of being an NEC fan. I've found a few of you on there. I should really pay more attention to my youtube account and set up my profile better.
Yours is AvenuePad, correct? You and TootTootTheRiotBus have met/found/talked to each other about how rootbeer was good at anytime, and how he would like to have a glass with you!

Ceti Alpha

QuoteYours is AvenuePad, correct? You and TootTootTheRiotBus have met/found/talked to each other about how rootbeer was good at anytime, and how he would like to have a glass with you!
That's me. :) I'll have to add you to my small friend's list. hehe
IMG

Hobo Xiphas

I would just like to say that I am extending my root beer offer to anyone else here who would like one.

HOWEVER, ceti_alpha gets first dibs because he is so awesome.  8)

Ceti Alpha

QuoteHOWEVER, ceti_alpha gets first dibs because he is so awesome.  Cool
lol. Thanks man. You're not so bad yourself.  :mrgreen:
IMG

nat

I knew without official confirmation that TootTootTheRiotBus was Xiphas.

Hobo Xiphas

Yeah, it's pretty god damned obvious, really.

But I am tired of talking about myself.  Why I am talking about myself so much.  This is getting crazy.

CrackTiger

Its about time you signed up and posted, I know you've been lurking around for a while. =D&gt;

Welcome a board! :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

I could never figure out who that Derek Lee's Retirement Pants member was.  See my name change thread.  Name changes suck because then nobody knows who you are.  Xiphas to Xiphas Classic is harmless, though (also pointless).

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: nat on 02/08/2008, 08:22 PMI knew without official confirmation that TootTootTheRiotBus was Xiphas.
Again, your ability to assume who members are in other places is amazing.

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2008, 10:31 PMIts about time you signed up and posted, I know you've been lurking around for a while. =D&gt;

Welcome a board! :)
Thanks, Black Tiger! I've originally browsed through these forums to keep track of his activities, just to see what he was doing pertaining to his website updates, since I've been waiting for the stuff.

Speaking of which, I DID say that I was going to pester you about it again. Be prepared for this to happen a lot more often this year if you don't get any progress done :twisted:.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/08/2008, 11:34 PMI could never figure out who that Derek Lee's Retirement Pants member was.  See my name change thread.  Name changes suck because then nobody knows who you are.  Xiphas to Xiphas Classic is harmless, though (also pointless).
GOD, WHY MUST I KEEP TALKING ABOUT MYSELF IN A THREAD NOT DEVOTED TO ME, IN ALL PLACES, THE TURBO BOARD.

You aren't the only one who was confused, apparently.  I changed back to Xiphas Classic specifically for people like you.  :?

OceanBlueKirby

Shame that this board had to be moved from the TurboGrafx-16/Turbo Express/TurboDuo board to Chit-Chat. It was deemed relatable to there since I had told my story of how I've first met the system. I feel a bit sad about it, too, since I hoped that this would never happen to any of the topics that I would make in my time here :(.

nat

Sorry Kirby, the train of discussion has derailed too far from the original topic.

Consider:

a) Posting a new topic in the Turbo forums with your story, then locking it.
b) Make an effort to keep threads on-topic from the get-go.

It's OK if conversation wanders a bit as long as it's still Turbo-related but this particular thread has transcended into another dimension.

Hobo Xiphas

Uhhh

But all threads wander into different dimensions eventually

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/09/2008, 02:26 AMShame that this board had to be moved from the TurboGrafx-16/Turbo Express/TurboDuo board to Chit-Chat.
Aww such a shame that your girly-girl-ass thinks they can get away with not following the rules.

Keranu

I don't like the idea of locking threads either. Derails, as CrackTiger once put it, usually make the threads more fun plus once you lock a thread, others might have some input regarding the topic but can't post it.
IMG

nat

Derailing is fine, as long as it stays within the confines of the parent board. Beyond that, moving the thread is usually a good choice.

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: nat on 02/09/2008, 02:36 AMSorry Kirby, the train of discussion has derailed too far from the original topic.

Consider:

a) Posting a new topic in the Turbo forums with your story, then locking it.
b) Make an effort to keep threads on-topic from the get-go.

It's OK if conversation wanders a bit as long as it's still Turbo-related but this particular thread has transcended into another dimension.
Quote from: nat on 02/09/2008, 02:49 AMDerailing is fine, as long as it stays within the confines of the parent board. Beyond that, moving the thread is usually a good choice.
Those are both understandable statements. I suppose, if I want to have this happen at least less frequently, that I need to be more careful of this.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/09/2008, 02:54 AMThose are both understandable statements. I suppose, if I want to have this happen at least less frequently, that I need to be more careful of this.

GET OFF YOUR FUCKING KNEES.

Hobo Xiphas

Don't take the moderators seriously, G&WK.

No one else does.

Also this thread was moved because I am not allowed to post in the Turbo forums, I believe.

Joe Redifer

Damn, Kitsu... did you forget the Ritalin this morning?  Calm down, man.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/09/2008, 03:19 AMDamn, Kitsu... did you forget the Ritalin this morning?  Calm down, man.
Fuck you Joe.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/09/2008, 03:19 AMDamn, Kitsu... did you forget the Ritalin this morning?  Calm down, man.
Hilariously enough, K-chan does have ADD.  :-$

This is why he will forget his rage against the machine by tomorrow, I'd wager.

OceanBlueKirby

Your private message to me was reported to all four of the moderators, Kitsunexus. Regardless even if it was a joke, it was vulgar content nonetheless.

You have also been blocked on YouTube. I do not stand for users who insult me multiple times.

Although I was also going to report to the Administrators, I couldn't find anything that I would say to them about him that would be suitable for importance. It also wasn't quite that serious enough for me to do so (but that was cutting it pretty close :evil:).

I'm not sure if it was able to sent to all four of them, however, since it seemed to be hard to differentiate between "To:" and "Bcc:" (they were all separated in quotes and commas in the "To:" textline). I do not want anyone to ruin my experience here, especially since this is the first forum I've ever signed up to, and my true purpose here is to have an extension of my Internet activities and be with the good friends I've met over the past year!