Limited Run Games

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/03/2016, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schweaty

Pretty sure wonderboy sold out this morning in 1 min 30 secs

jtucci31

Quote from: schweaty on 08/04/2017, 10:05 AMPretty sure wonderboy sold out this morning in 1 min 30 secs

Yeah it definitely did. I sat at the paypal loading screen forever. I think I'm going to stop trying with LRG. I know this has always been their thing since their inception, but sometimes I feel pretty damn gullible racing to get this shit. I don't know, it all seems pretty stupid.

ParanoiaDragon

Yup, from here, it looked like 2 minutes & it was gone like a fart in the wind!  I tried for the special edition first....gone, so hurriedly went for the regular edition.....gone!  Gonna try again on my phone later when I'm at work, but I should NOT get my hopes up!  2 per customer....that really knocks the wind out of me! :P  I really want the special edition, but, I want the game regardless, so, not sure if I should just try to nab the regular while others fight for the special edition? Decisions, decisions......
IMG

schweaty

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/04/2017, 10:12 AMYup, from here, it looked like 2 minutes & it was gone like a fart in the wind!  I tried for the special edition first....gone, so hurriedly went for the regular edition.....gone!  Gonna try again on my phone later when I'm at work, but I should NOT get my hopes up!  2 per customer....that really knocks the wind out of me!   I really want the special edition, but, I want the game regardless, so, not sure if I should just try to nab the regular while others fight for the special edition? Decisions, decisions......
If you can't get either from LRG, play-asia has the reg available for pre-order

NecroPhile

Allowing two per customer is straight bullshit.  There's no defending it; it's 100% pandering to flippers and shelf queens.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Medic_wheat

I plan to attempt for a regular editon. The CE isn't something I am to interested in.

glazball

You're totally wrong Necro.  Unless you get 2 copies, how else are you going to have sealed copies of both cover variants?  Eh?  Eh?

jk of course.  LRG is headed down an ugly path with their trading cards, online-only game (Lawbreakers) and heavy release schedule.  I'm getting a bit burned out on LRG but really wanted Wonder Boy.  I would have bought it from any publisher.  Just bought 1 regular copy today with no problems.  I'll certainly have the Master System side of the reversible cover displayed, because duh.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Gypsy

Just so you guys know this is still available on PA and is cheaper.

Johnpv

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2017, 10:23 AMAllowing two per customer is straight bullshit.  There's no defending it; it's 100% pandering to flippers and shelf queens.
That's like 90% of their customer base it would seem.

TheClash603

The bundle with the special edition of Wonder Boy and the other shitty online only game was available for quite a while.  I wonder how often they will use this tactic in the future, to sell through unwanted stock, pair it with a good game.

I am sure the shit bundle will be available at 6:00, for anyone that wants it.

Medic_wheat

And done with my order of the standered wonder boy. I noticed they went from 2 per customer to 1. Interesting.

Medic_wheat

Holy shit both standered and limited sold out in 2 minutes. Just the shit bundles. Yeah I think they are going to do boundless more often to try and get rid of crap stock.

Mathius

I'll be happy with my PA ver. of Wonder Boy. LGR fell off my radar a long time ago. In this industry when something starts to stink they'll never be able to wash it off.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Mathius on 08/04/2017, 06:10 PMI'll be happy with my PA ver. of Wonder Boy. LGR fell off my radar a long time ago. In this industry when something starts to stink they'll never be able to wash it off.
Trust me if I didn't get the copy I'd have just jumped on the PA release. I won't bother with scalpers. Except that one time with think geek lol

bartre

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/04/2017, 10:40 AMThe CE isn't something I am to interested in.
yeah, it's a pretty shit CE. you get trading cards, a poster, and soundtrack.
for that markup, LRG can eat shit.

I'm so confused about LRG doing a release of an online multiplayer game.
that just seems like something that should either stay download only or get a mass market release.
after all, wouldn't you want more people playing? (not that it looked that good anyway)

TR0N

I was able to get in a order for wonderboy.Still what a hassle to do so i tried in the morning first but it sold out in 2 minutes flat :shock: Then when i try again in the evening i mange to order a copy finally.Still i don't approve by this practice of LRG having to buy a game day one as soon as it's available.You don't buy it then you are screwed unless the said publisher release it again them selfies.It's getting ridiculous now,LRG doesn't seem to take into account when said game has a high demand.By the way i just went with the regular edition of wonderboy i didn't need the CE one.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gypsy

I was going to go for a Wonder Boy in the 2nd wave if anything just to sell at cost to someone that missed out, but I was playing Yakuza 0 and forgot about it, so no big deal.

Apparently the PA version doesn't have a manual, but it sure beats paying flipper rates.

cr8zykuban0

I got lucky on getting a copy  of wonderboy on the 2nd batch but damn they should have offered more copies to meet demand. Then again im pretty sure itll be a while before i get my copy anyways :(

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/05/2017, 02:22 PMI was going to go for a Wonder Boy in the 2nd wave if anything just to sell at cost to someone that missed out, but I was playing Yakuza 0 and forgot about it, so no big deal.

Apparently the PA version doesn't have a manual, but it sure beats paying flipper rates.
I am glad it comes with a manual.  I really wanted one, the only thing I'm really missing out on from the CE is the 2CD's.  I do however have to find a way to sell Lawbreakers, since the only way I was able to get Wonderboy, was in the bundle! :P  Anyone here want Lawbreakers, $40, that means I make a penny profit off of it LOL!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Medic_wheat

Well that night trap slipped through my fingers. Both times. Sigh

TR0N

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/11/2017, 09:28 PMWell that night trap slipped through my fingers. Both times. Sigh
Really i got my order through luckily enough.Missed the first batch but i was able to get on the second one in the evening.After this,don't see myself buying from LRG again any time soon.Unless it's for Ys Origin but i been thinking maybe i'll go with pa instead.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ChuChu Flamingo

It is crazy how much Night Trap lrg is selling for. They should've done a larger print run since they were hyping this up.

bartre

Quote from: ChuChu Flamingo on 08/12/2017, 03:26 AMIt is crazy how much Night Trap lrg is selling for. They should've done a larger print run since they were hyping this up.
Agreed.
but i'm not really salty about missing this one, it's kind of a whatever game.
hopefully this'll kick more people off the hype train

cr8zykuban0

I totally skipped on night trap. I know its a favorite among sega cd fans but i didnt like the game at all. FMV games are definitely not for me

Medic_wheat

For me NT was more a novelty. I can always play my 32X copy. I was just interested to see how the better video looked with the retooled menus.

Guess I'll just download it. Don't feel like paying $150 and up.

I haven't looked up eBay prices on a LRG day one of release but wooowww.

The whole argument of resellers in ebay don't determine price really goes out the window with sellout limited release stuff.

Someone get a confirmation order. Throws it up in eBay day one and pulls a price out their butt and waits to see if other follow suit and if suckers start buying.

cr8zykuban0

Ugh i hate that. Way to ruin the fun for some people who actually want to play the game but couldn't get the game on time :/

Flare65

Was Night Trap limited to one copy only?

glazball

From what I can gather, NT was changed to 1 copy per customer while the morning sale was live.  I could be wrong though.

Apparently, LRG is looking to handle ordering differently with the release of Ys.  I don't believe they've said anything definite or given specifics yet, though.

NecroPhile

Empty promises.  They've been claiming shit will get better for months, but the reality is that they don't have a single fuck to give.

As long as everything (including stupidly overpriced LE garbage) sells out in minutes, they're getting what they want and have no incentive to change.  They don't care about you.

jtucci31

The only way to stop LRG from doing stupid shit like not limiting certain numbers of orders per customers, or their inane philosophy of refusing to do pre orders and make it as hard as can be to grab any of their releases, is to just stop buying from them. I think some people buy their shit based solely on the fact that they know it'll be hard to find later. And obviously that's their whole point of existence, but why are we so drawn to this shitty practice?

Though, of course I have purchased DariusBurst in the past, and if they ever announced Windjammers you better believe I'd be as conflicted as ever (though I'd probably wind up buying it anyway). They just plain suck, and NecroPhile is right, they absolutely don't care about you.

Gypsy

Is the Play-Asia release of Ys Origins 100% identical in terms of content on disc?

Groover

It seemed impossible for me to get a copy of Night Trap last Friday. It was my first Sega CD game I bought after playing the packin games. They should have changed their name to Ultra Limited Run Games. It seems scalpers had no problem. Sold out in less than 2 mins both times.
IMG

TDIRunner

I sat in on a panel with Dough from LRG on Sunday.  They are working on ways better estimate demand and possibly increase runs while still keeping the total number "limited."

Also, ESRB ratings are coming to all games soon.  It's a little ironic that Night Trap will be one of the last LRG offerings to be released without an ESRB logo.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

glazball

I don't need a company to care about me.  It's getting harder and harder to defend LRG, but asking a company to care about you is going a bit too far!

What I find uber-shitty is the stunt they pulled with the Wonder Boy and Lawbreakers release.  When they were opened up for sale, WB obviously sold like hotcakes (as we all know, hotcakes are the best selling item ever invented, duh) and Lawbreakers wasn't.

So LRG pulled many (single) copies of WB and bundled it with Lawbreakers (an online-only FPS that nobody really wanted) while the sale was active.  Their excuse is that their "close fans" were not going to be able to buy Wonder Boy, so they made the decision to bundle it during the morning sale.  Let's not forget that this "bendover bundle" was never previously announced, which means their plan all along was to pull this trick if Lawbreakers wasn't selling like they wanted.  Obviously, they had to have made the bundle picture and web page ready to go beforehand.

It should also be mentioned (if you don't follow LRG drama) that Lawbreakers was developed by Cliff B. and company who are all in the same town as (and "friends" with) the LRG team.  It was so unwanted by fans that LRG decided not to number it like their other PS4 games.  The result was that many people who simply wanted Wonder Boy had to opt for a bundle with another game, or not get it at all.

Major dick move.

NecroPhile

Quote from: TDIRunner on 08/14/2017, 05:04 PMI sat in on a panel with Dough from LRG on Sunday.  They are working on ways better estimate demand and possibly increase runs while still keeping the total number "limited."
I don't really believe that.  They've already gauged demand exactly how they want it: just enough to sell out in minutes, adjusting between allowing people to buy single and multiple copies if it's not selling quite quickly enough.

The only adjustments we'll likely see will be smaller print runs for less popular titles, as the poor games that dared to still be available on Saturday were 'failures' to their hype train.

Quote from: glazball on 08/14/2017, 05:08 PMI don't need a company to care about me.  It's getting harder and harder to defend LRG, but asking a company to care about you is going a bit too far!
Go fuck yourself.

Gypsy

Companies should care for their customers, otherwise they might go out of business.

Mathius

No loyalty is built when companies don't care for their customers. Companies that used to but lost sight of that quality in themselves usually fail eventually.

sirhcman

Quote from: TDIRunner on 08/14/2017, 05:04 PMI sat in on a panel with Dough from LRG on Sunday.  They are working on ways better estimate demand and possibly increase runs while still keeping the total number "limited."
Pre-orders. Problem solved. Also you can't keep a game "limited" if there is a lot of demand! I could explain further how their business could be so much more successful but it isn't even worth it.

Psycho Punch

lmao at anyone expecting anything other than artificial scarcity from something called "LIMITED RUN GAMES".

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of copies are never put for sale on their site so they can sell it on ebay with a high price tag themselves.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Groover

I like the idea of giving digital only releases a physical release for those that want it. This should be more about the developers and how they could be benefitting more. They should really consider releasing it themselves if Limited Run Games reaches a maximum of preorders that could just trigger it. I like it when the developers go on and release it later.

I think there is room for a company to get this right and not be forcing the limited inventory on the business.
IMG

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2017, 09:55 PMlmao at anyone expecting anything other than artificial scarcity from something called "LIMITED RUN GAMES".

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of copies are never put for sale on their site so they can sell it on ebay with a high price tag themselves.
This could be true.

The guy who owned Beanie Babies would stockpile certain models then retire them. This would increase the price by 10x or more.

ChuChu Flamingo

It would be the perfect crime.

Gypsy

Quote from: Groover on 08/14/2017, 10:17 PMI like the idea of giving digital only releases a physical release for those that want it. This should be more about the developers and how they could be benefitting more. They should really consider releasing it themselves if Limited Run Games reaches a maximum of preorders that could just trigger it. I like it when the developers go on and release it later.

I think there is room for a company to get this right and not be forcing the limited inventory on the business.
There are other companies doing this. Some of them even do pre-orders. They just don't have the same online hype presence as LRG.

https://www.specialreservegames.com/about-us
https://signatureeditiongames.com/

Also if you are looking mostly for indies, Soedesco and Rising Star Games have been releasing some and they take more of a retail approach and get stuff on Amazon. Just search for Soedesco on Amazon. The games qualify for the prime discount too so ones priced at $20 if you pre-order them will only be $16 shipped. They have some at  $30 ($24 shipped with prime) as well. A few pre-orders up right now from them.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 08/14/2017, 07:56 PMPre-orders. Problem solved. Also you can't keep a game "limited" if there is a lot of demand! I could explain further how their business could be so much more successful but it isn't even worth it.
They don't do pre-orders because nobody wants to wait for games.

Instead they sell you games they don't have yet and ship them a few weeks later.  It's different...... somehow.

glazball

Quote from: Psycho NecroPhile on 08/14/2017, 05:41 PM
Quote from: glazball on 08/14/2017, 05:08 PMI don't need a company to care about me.  It's getting harder and harder to defend LRG, but asking a company to care about you is going a bit too far!
Go fuck yourself.
Very well worded response, NecroPhile!  Cheers to you.

NecroPhile

There's not much to say to hypocrites and fools, and you're both.

glazball

Well alrighty then.  So you have no real argument and can only throw your weight around by being an asshole?  Are you upset that I directly contradicted you?

NecroPhile

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 11:23 AMWell alrighty then.  So you have no real argument and can only throw your weight around by being an asshole?  Are you upset that I directly contradicted you?
First of all, please explain how I'm "throwing my weight around".  Do you even understand what the term means?  In no way, shape, or form have I used my scary mod powers to threaten you with a ban, edit your posts, etc.

Second, you're really only contradicting yourself.  It makes no sense to argue that it's wrong to expect them to do right by their customer base when you're concurrently making much of the exact same complaints - too many releases too close together, pushing for immediate sellouts, forced bundling of unwanted games, etc.  They don't care about you (nor should they), so you should be happy they're taking care of themselves in whatever way they see fit, right?