RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

10.31.06 - Wii Game List For The TurboGrafx/PCE Announced!

Started by PCEngineFX, 10/31/2006, 09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

esteban

Wow, that's a pretty good line-up. I'm surprised Victory Run is in there (don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the game) since it rarely makes anyone's "Top 10" lists, whereas all of the other games do.

I imagine Hudson wanted to choose some sort of sports/racing game for the sake of diversity.

Plus, it was one of the launch titles for TG-16 (or in the second wave of releases).

It's neat that the NA and JP batches are so similar. Too bad we don't have the option of choosing JP games.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

I see no reason to own any "virtual console" games.  Color me unexcited.

TR0N

Hmm not bad still it's just hundson own stuff no thrid party TG16 games  :P

Call me if that ever changes.......
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

GUTS

Good fucking God, $6 for a rom?  Wow what a screaming deal!

Keranu

Quote from: "GUTS"Good fucking God, $6 for a rom?  Wow what a screaming deal!
Though I don't plan on downloading these, I find that to be a decent deal considering how pricey real TG16 games are getting and I'm sure there will still be a good deal of people who plan on downloading them on their Wii.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "GUTS"Good fucking God, $6 for a rom?  Wow what a screaming deal!

Considering these games were originally about $60, I don't see that as a bad price. What many people don't realize is that the physical medium, the HuCard, the CD, whatever, is free. Its the software we are paying for. It sure feels like a better deal when you get some kind of proof of ownership, but the actual vender doesn't give a crap about that.

$6 is lot better price than the $20 Nintendo was charging for the Famicom Mini series on GBA.

I can't see myself buying one though since I already own these games, at least the ones I'm interested in. If I didn't own them, and I wanted to play them, I'd probably buy the PC Engine version from someplace like Hit Japan, and probably for less than $6...

I might buy some Sega stuff though.

BTW, pcengine-fx.com's little write up on this does a great job of reminding us how amazingly horrible the covers of American release games were back then. Jeez, what the hell was wrong with these morons? Just look at how cool the JP cover for Victory Run is, and how crap the US one is...and people pay 4x or more for US releases...why!?!?
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: "SignOfZeta"BTW, pcengine-fx.com's little write up on this does a great job of reminding us how amazingly horrible the covers of American release games were back then. Jeez, what the hell was wrong with these morons? Just look at how cool the JP cover for Victory Run is, and how crap the US one is...and people pay 4x or more for US releases...why!?!?
Some of us around here are very proud of the American covers :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: "Keranu"
Quote from: "SignOfZeta"BTW, pcengine-fx.com's little write up on this does a great job of reminding us how amazingly horrible the covers of American release games were back then. Jeez, what the hell was wrong with these morons? Just look at how cool the JP cover for Victory Run is, and how crap the US one is...and people pay 4x or more for US releases...why!?!?
Some of us around here are very proud of the American covers :) .

Personally, I'm rather ashamed by them :)

OD

_Paul

Odonadon

Quote from: guestWot no officially translated Ys 4?  :lol:

Yeah good point - I'm pretty sure Falcom committed to it..... :)

OD

_Paul

*dreams of a fully translated Ranma 1/2 digital comic*

jlued686

I'm very excited by this.  Sure, I have all these games already in their original form.  But what I'm excited about is that more people are going to experience Turbo games, which can only be a good thing.

GUTS

If they were adding something like internet play or hell, even some art or unlockables I wouldn't complain, but $6 for just a rom is ridiculous.  Those classic game collections usually always have at least 20+ games on them and retail for $20, now that's a reasonable deal.

Keranu

Quote from: "GUTS"If they were adding something like internet play or hell, even some art or unlockables I wouldn't complain, but $6 for just a rom is ridiculous.  Those classic game collections usually always have at least 20+ games on them and retail for $20, now that's a reasonable deal.
Who cares? The idea of the Turbo being brought back for people to check out again is what we care about. It might may or may not do well, but I am just glad they are giving it a shot. And also, we don't know what these "secret" plans are that Dementia keeps talking about, so it might be something that's really aimed toward us Turbo gamers. Perhaps translating some games? Who knows.
IMG

jlued686

Quote from: Keranu on 11/03/2006, 01:54 AM
Quote from: GUTSIf they were adding something like internet play or hell, even some art or unlockables I wouldn't complain, but $6 for just a rom is ridiculous.  Those classic game collections usually always have at least 20+ games on them and retail for $20, now that's a reasonable deal.
Who cares? The idea of the Turbo being brought back for people to check out again is what we care about. It might may or may not do well, but I am just glad they are giving it a shot. And also, we don't know what these "secret" plans are that Dementia keeps talking about, so it might be something that's really aimed toward us Turbo gamers. Perhaps translating some games? Who knows.
Exactly.  You have to think of this less of being for the group of hardcore Turbo/PCE fans that hang out here, and more for those who never had the chance to play these games. 

Six bucks isn't that bad either, IMO, but I'll be buying the better ones (Bonk, Star Soldier, Dungeon Explorer, etc.) to support the cause. 

esteban

So, I'm clueless about the state of Wii and VC (other than the fact that the Wii launched). Is VC available to folks? Anyone have a Wii?

PCEngineFX

I know that at least Keranu and I have Wii's.  As of Sunday, yes the Virtual Console store is open and you can purchase games for the NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis.  The first batch of Turbo games should be available for purchase any day now.
IMG
IMG

Keranu

There's not much on the Virtual Console right now, I remember seeing around 10 games total.
IMG

esteban

Wow, I was expecting a larger offering initially. Have you folks tried any of the VC games?

Keranu

Not yet. I think I'll try a Turbo game once they are available, just to see what it's like.
IMG

PCEngineFX

Just got word that Bomberman '93 and Bonk's Adventure are now available for purchase from the Wii Shop Channel as of now.  Will be posting up a video of the purchase & play process tonight.
IMG
IMG

Keranu

Yep I just noticed this on my Wii awhile ago. It sucks that you can only buy Wii points in the form of $10, $20, $30, and $50. I was hoping you could purchase any amount you wanted to so could buy just one Turbo game for $6 and not have the extra $4 left if you bought $10 Wii points.
IMG

PCEngineFX

"Pcenginefx Demonstration Video: Wii Shop" (7m51s)
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 11/21/2006, 07:38 PMYep I just noticed this on my Wii awhile ago. It sucks that you can only buy Wii points in the form of $10, $20, $30, and $50. I was hoping you could purchase any amount you wanted to so could buy just one Turbo game for $6 and not have the extra $4 left if you bought $10 Wii points.
Yes, I totally agree with you. This is as lame as Microsoft Points for the Xbox and Zune. You are forced to have an outstanding balance! This is incredibly lame. I understand why Nintendo and MS want to hold onto your $$$, but I'm sure we are not the only ones who find this practice detestable. At the very least, these companies should provide an option for folks who want to make discrete, isolated transactions. I don't mind if parents buy Wii points and MS points for their kids (since kids don't usually have credit cards). BUT, please have the courtesy to allow me to purchase items in a traditional manner.

Keranu

Completely agreed. See the problem for me is that I want to buy Bonk on the VC just to test it out, but to do this I am going to have to buy $10 worth of Wii points (1000) and I will only have 400 left after I purchase Bonk, which isn't enough to buy anything else and just sits there until I can buy something for 400 or less on my Wii.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 11/22/2006, 01:31 AMCompletely agreed. See the problem for me is that I want to buy Bonk on the VC just to test it out, but to do this I am going to have to buy $10 worth of Wii points (1000) and I will only have 400 left after I purchase Bonk, which isn't enough to buy anything else and just sits there until I can buy something for 400 or less on my Wii.
... or until you buy another $10 of Wii points to buy a 400+ point game! :)

Dark Fact

If these games do offer netplay across the nation against other people who have bought the same games, that would be absolutely fantastic.  Why prove your gaming skills to your fellow comrades when you can prove it against complete strangers? 8)

And I still think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to translate some PCEngine games that never got brought over here previously and offer them up.  We were denied some great titles! :x

As for the coverart, well it was a pretty big practice in the 80's to early 90's.  Game companies wanted covers that american gamers can relate to.  They feared turnoff if anyone saw a "japanimation" cover. :roll:
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

I am one of the few who are very glad they changed the covers. Japanese covers might look cooler, but I'll take the cheesy entertainment of American covers any day :) .
IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: Keranu on 11/23/2006, 11:13 PMI am one of the few who are very glad they changed the covers. Japanese covers might look cooler, but I'll take the cheesy entertainment of American covers any day :) .
I always found the American covers embarrassing.  I didn't even want to show any of my friends the covers to the games :)  Never been a fan of them myself.

OD

Dark Fact

Quote from: KeranuI am one of the few who are very glad they changed the covers. Japanese covers might look cooler, but I'll take the cheesy entertainment of American covers any day
I'm guessing you never saw the cover to the first Megaman game, huh?
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

Quote from: Dark Fact on 11/28/2006, 03:35 PMI'm guessing you never saw the cover to the first Megaman game, huh?
I've seen the cover over a thousand times, it's a classic!  :lol:
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Dark Fact on 11/28/2006, 03:35 PM
Quote from: KeranuI am one of the few who are very glad they changed the covers. Japanese covers might look cooler, but I'll take the cheesy entertainment of American covers any day
I'm guessing you never saw the cover to the first Megaman game, huh?
:wink: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1606.0
I remember MegaMan U.S box art it sure was a cheese fest  :lol:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

greedostick

I am disappointed japan gets adventure island and we don't get dragons curse. Still happy though.
IMG