2/13/2025: Localization News - Cosmic Fantasy 3-4!

Rather earth-shattering news in the PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 community: Cosmic Fantasy 3 & 4 has been officially localized to English by Edia 30 years later for the Switch! Hard to believe! I know their script quality is poor given the 1&2 port but still good to see.
nintendo.com/us/store/products/cosmic-fantasy-collection2-switch/
Main Menu

Turbo Grafx Font Question

Started by MotherGunner, 12/07/2008, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

MotherGunner

Hi all please excuse if I missed a search on this, but does anyone know what "font" was used on the Turbo Grafx turbochip spine stickers?

(I asked Sparky, but he hasn't replied to my PMs)

Any help would be much appreciated.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Joe Redifer

Like most companies, it is likely a custom font created for them.  Most companies want their own font as part of their branding.

MotherGunner

Right, Sparky seemed to have access to it.  So I was wondering.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Joe Redifer

Any font that publicly exists was not created by NEC, but by users of teh interweb, just like all of the Star Wars fonts, etc.

MotherGunner

Whatever comparible font was used,  I just wanna know which one.  I never said official NEC one.
  :wink:
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Duo_R

Mothergunner you "ole chap", one of the fonts that matched like the "Bonks Adventure" really good was Arial I believe. I think I used Arial Bold or just standard Arial and then bolded (in Photoshop). Forget the other. I think Sparky primarily used 2 fonts for most of the games. If you take a look u will figure it out. Some are custom to the game (Sidearms comes to mind).
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

MotherGunner

Thanks man I will try that!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Joe Redifer

Oh shit, I kept thinking you were talking about the TG-16 logo.  Sorry.  Yeah, Arial Bold is a good approximation.

Duo_R

the second font like the original orange labels MIGHT be Arial Narrow. What you need to do is type in all caps, and the first letter of each word has to be a size up on the font. U will see what I mean when you check it out (for original orange labels). I am seriously considering purchasing Sparks labels, they are very high quality.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

MotherGunner

Thanks guys, yes I have complete set from Sparks, I needed this information for a "side project"

Sparky's labels are excellent.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Sparky

Quote from: MotherGunner on 12/07/2008, 09:49 PMHi all please excuse if I missed a search on this, but does anyone know what "font" was used on the Turbo Grafx turbochip spine stickers?

(I asked Sparky, but he hasn't replied to my PMs)

Any help would be much appreciated.
come on, i missed one PM from ya and i get called out? :(...  like i said in my past Pm's to ya my Mac crashed (believe it or not) drive has been pulled and a buddy of mine is trying to salvage what he can. Stickers and family stuff is all on there!!!
My printer does have the final pdfs of the stickers but are only in vector.

Univers for the newer ones, the older ones were a font that i customized quite a bit to get it close, once the drive is back i will have that answer.

Joe Redifer

Macs don't crash.  You are lying.

As for the stickers, just peel them off and apply them to something else.

MotherGunner

#12
Quote from: guest on 12/10/2008, 08:09 AM
Quote from: MotherGunner on 12/07/2008, 09:49 PMHi all please excuse if I missed a search on this, but does anyone know what "font" was used on the Turbo Grafx turbochip spine stickers?

(I asked Sparky, but he hasn't replied to my PMs)

Any help would be much appreciated.
come on, i missed one PM from ya and i get called out? :(...  like i said in my past Pm's to ya my Mac crashed (believe it or not) drive has been pulled and a buddy of mine is trying to salvage what he can. Stickers and family stuff is all on there!!!
My printer does have the final pdfs of the stickers but are only in vector.

Univers for the newer ones, the older ones were a font that i customized quite a bit to get it close, once the drive is back i will have that answer.
#-o Ouch sorry Sparks, I totally misunderstood.  I don't remember a PM where you said Mac crashed, last I heard was that you had them at work.  No worries!  Thanks man I appreciate it.  I will mess with Univers a little bit and see what I get.

I hope you get your comp recovered, I just had a trojan myself and my son's birth video was on there along with 1,000s of photos.  I know what you're going through. 


EDIT:  Shit, there are so many combinations!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Sparky

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/10/2008, 10:46 AMMacs don't crash.  You are lying.

As for the stickers, just peel them off and apply them to something else.
haha... i hate to admit it as well, but it was a good stretch... no problems for about 5 years i have had it, maybe its in a really heavy sleep then :P

MotherG---> Just the pdf files of them, which are all in vector, experiment with univers with hoz. scales and outlines as well, one from the family gets ya close, i really thought i told you about the problems, alot has been happening lately so sorry for the confusion.

Duo_R

Sparks did send a PM about his MAC crashing, but he sent it to me!   :lol:

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2008, 11:24 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/10/2008, 10:46 AMMacs don't crash.  You are lying.

As for the stickers, just peel them off and apply them to something else.
haha... i hate to admit it as well, but it was a good stretch... no problems for about 5 years i have had it, maybe its in a really heavy sleep then :P

MotherG---> Just the pdf files of them, which are all in vector, experiment with univers with hoz. scales and outlines as well, one from the family gets ya close, i really thought i told you about the problems, alot has been happening lately so sorry for the confusion.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Sparky

 #-o oh shit...well that PM was meant for MotherG!!!! :P
I blame both your avatars, they look to similar.... there must be a change, there can only be one!!!  :twisted:

MotherGunner

Lol Mine has been the same since I joined!
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Duo_R

Sparks it wasn't confusion, I sent you a PM with the same question and you replied.... LOL

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2008, 09:41 AM#-o oh shit...well that PM was meant for MotherG!!!! :P
I blame both your avatars, they look to similar.... there must be a change, there can only be one!!!  :twisted:
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Sparky

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/11/2008, 09:54 PMSparks it wasn't confusion, I sent you a PM with the same question and you replied.... LOL

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2008, 09:41 AM#-o oh shit...well that PM was meant for MotherG!!!! :P
I blame both your avatars, they look to similar.... there must be a change, there can only be one!!!  :twisted:
hahaha.... what the hells am i thinking, oh well  <<pours another glass of wine>> :P

MotherGunner

Considering most of us are in our 30's and early 40's  I will chalk it up to old age.. :wink:
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Duo_R

I never got the follow-up PM tho, but it is all good. We all get busy in our everyday lives.   :lol: :lol: :lol:
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq