RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC Engine Screen-shot quiz

Started by Tatsujin, 12/24/2006, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nectarsis

Quote from: Zeon on 06/01/2009, 10:09 PMIt must be a cd game, or some stupid obscure rpg I haven't played. Either that or some popular in Japan, but not so much in America game, like the momotarou games
"stupid obscure rpg I haven't played?"  Like a majority of the PCE rpg's :P (cause japanese is SCARY)  :twisted: :lol:
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Zeon on 06/01/2009, 10:09 PMIt must be a cd game, or some stupid obscure rpg I haven't played. Either that or some popular in Japan, but not so much in America game, like the momotarou games
it is a CD game, yes
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Zeon

Quote from: nectarsis on 06/01/2009, 10:13 PM
"stupid obscure rpg I haven't played?"  Like a majority of the PCE rpg's :P (cause japanese is SCARY)  :twisted: :lol:
Fine then! I'll be taking all of your english games then. Obviously since english adds nothing to the enjoyment of a game you won't mind buying the cheaper japanese counterparts. A win win situation!  :twisted:

Arkhan Asylum

Well if you can read the Japanese one, then nope, english dont add much of anything to the game except like, 50$+ to its cost
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Zeon

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2009, 10:18 PM
it is a CD game, yes
If it's a cd japanese exclusive I'm out.

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2009, 10:20 PMWell if you can read the Japanese one, then nope, english dont add much of anything to the game except like, 50$+ to its cost
Oh but Ark! There are many who think that even if you can't read a lick of Japanese, it's just as, if not more enjoyable than one in a language you do understand!  :roll:

nectarsis

Quote from: guest on 06/01/2009, 10:20 PMWell if you can read the Japanese one, then nope, english dont add much of anything to the game except like, 50$+ to its cost
LOL WIN

Quote from: Zeon on 06/01/2009, 10:09 PMFine then! I'll be taking all of your english games then. Obviously since english adds nothing to the enjoyment of a game you won't mind buying the cheaper japanese counterparts. A win win situation!  :twisted:
You don't have the $ junior :P

Zeon

Quote from: nectarsis on 06/01/2009, 10:23 PM
Quote from: Zeon on 06/01/2009, 10:09 PMFine then! I'll be taking all of your english games then. Obviously since english adds nothing to the enjoyment of a game you won't mind buying the cheaper japanese counterparts. A win win situation!  :twisted:
You don't have the $ junior :P
Who ever said anything about money? You obviously have no need for them, I'll just take em, I'm sure there will be no objections.  :twisted:

blueraven

BTW my vote is for Sherlock Holmes.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Zeon on 06/01/2009, 10:23 PMOh but Ark! There are many who think that even if you can't read a lick of Japanese, it's just as, if not more enjoyable than one in a language you do understand!  :roll:
Lol.

I guess

and no its not Sherlock Holmes.

Thats just silly.  Sherlock Holmes RPG. rofl.

Hint: Its Japanese

..... So Zeon cant guess anymore

rofl

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

nope :(

should I just post the full screenshot!

blueraven

Arkhan Asylum

Tatsujin

there was no momotarou on cd ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

How 'bout Shin Megami Tensei or Shin Onriyou Senki?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Negatory :)

man  I didnt know this was going to be so hard!

oops

ccovell

Monbit?
Efera and Ji...ggling jellybeans whatever?
Astralius?

_Paul

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 06/02/2009, 11:09 AMEfera and Jiliora!
Fixed!

and, nope to all of that.

I almost wonder whatd happen now if I just post the full screenshot...

spenoza

Stop wondering and just do it. We're blind guessing at this point which is no fun.

NecroPhile

Grasping at straws here, but how about Sol Bianca or Nekketsu Legend Baseball?

blueraven

Arkhan Asylum

NecroPhile finally gotted it!

Is sol bianca!

/1106575520-00.gif

>_<

CrackTiger

The non-fantasy hint threw me off. #-o
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 06/02/2009, 07:27 PMThe non-fantasy hint threw me off. #-o
its not fantasy! its sci fi!

O_O

Zeon

Quote from: guest on 06/02/2009, 06:34 PMNecroPhile finally gotted it!

Is sol bianca!

/1106575520-00.gif

>_<
I think it should be decreed that Arkhan is no longer allowed to play, aside from making guesses.  :P

Could you have picked a more generic rpg, or more importantly, could you have picked a more generic place to grab a small sample of pixels from?  If you wanted to take a snap of Sol Bianca, why in a generic grassy field, (a quickly forgettable place in almost any rpg) that for even those that played are not likely to recall.

Is it any wonder why the reason anyone got it was through process of elimination and some wild guesses? The point was to take a snap of something RECOGNIZABLE without the need of hints, and to provide (good) hints if people were having trouble remembering. In most of the previous examples the snap was instantly recognized by many (ie that looks "familiar") but it took awhile for people to remember exactly which game it came from. In you example, NOTHING was recognizable about it. People had to rely almost 100% on your beating around the bush hints. It's no fun when you do it that way.

nectarsis

Quote from: Zeon on 06/03/2009, 12:58 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/02/2009, 06:34 PMNecromancer finally gotted it!

Is sol bianca!

/1106575520-00.gif

>_<
I think it should be decreed that Arkhan is no longer allowed to play, aside from making guesses.  :P

Could you have picked a more generic rpg, or more importantly, could you have picked a more generic place to grab a small sample of pixels from?  If you wanted to take a snap of Sol Bianca, why in a generic grassy field, (a quickly forgettable place in almost any rpg) that for even those that played are not likely to recall.

Is it any wonder why the reason anyone got it was through process of elimination and some wild guesses? The point was to take a snap of something RECOGNIZABLE without the need of hints, and to provide (good) hints if people were having trouble remembering. In most of the previous examples the snap was instantly recognized by many (ie that looks "familiar") but it took awhile for people to remember exactly which game it came from. In you example, NOTHING was recognizable about it. People had to rely almost 100% on your beating around the bush hints. It's no fun when you do it that way.
lol have you actually LOOKED at some of the previous posts, more than a few vague (or worse) ideas to guess at.

And "generic rpg?? Coming form the guy who's allergic to rpg's in japanese, thats ironic...ever even play any of it?

Zeon

Quote from: nectarsis on 06/03/2009, 01:08 AM

Is sol bianca!

/1106575520-00.gif

>_<

lol have you actually LOOKED at some of the previous posts, more than a few vague (or worse) ideas to guess at.

And "generic rpg?? Coming form the guy who's allergic to rpg's in japanese, thats ironic...ever even play any of it?
Yes I have looked nec, though vague many were, at least they didn't drag their feet with hints (in this case enlarging the picture was not helpful in any way) and they still managed to have something identifiable about them, tell me what was identifiable about Ark's original pic or expansions? I still say up to the full shot it could have been any number of games.

nectarsis

Quote from: Zeon on 06/03/2009, 01:17 AM

Is sol bianca!

/1106575520-00.gif

>_<

Yes I have looked nec, though vague many were, at least they didn't drag their feet with hints (in this case enlarging the picture was not helpful in any way) and they still managed to have something identifiable about them, tell me what was identifiable about Ark's original pic or expansions? I still say up to the full shot it could have been any number of games.
Yes the hints were crappy at best, but some peeps have figured it out with less;

Yet you ignore the part of my post pointing out:

And "generic rpg?? Coming form the guy who's allergic to rpg's in japanese, thats ironic...ever even play any of it?....posting about a game you know virtually nothing about :P

Zeon

Quote from: nectarsis on 06/03/2009, 01:22 AM
Quote from: Zeon on 06/03/2009, 01:17 AM

Is sol bianca!

/1106575520-00.gif

>_<

Yes the hints were crappy at best, but some peeps have figured it out with less;

Yet you ignore the part of my post pointing out:

And "generic rpg?? Coming form the guy who's allergic to rpg's in japanese, thats ironic...ever even play any of it?....posting about a game you know virtually nothing about :P
Perhaps I should have said generic screenshot that came from what looks like a generic rpg. I can think of many other rpgs I have played or seen screenshots of that look far too similar to this one: ie grassy field with mountains and a town. I only meant generic in the way the game is portrayed in this single snapshot. That doesn't necessarily mean it IS generic, but I certainly don't have high hopes. :P

blueraven

So its NecroPhile's turn, right?

I don't think banning someone for stumping everyone is a good idea.

I mean it was annoying and the hints were a little off (Just the one about it not being fantasy) but it was good show, Arkhan. So on to the next one eh?  :mrgreen:

Zeon

Quote from: blueraven on 06/03/2009, 03:13 AMSo its NecroPhile's turn, right?

I don't think banning someone for stumping everyone is a good idea.

I mean it was annoying and the hints were a little off (Just the one about it not being fantasy) but it was good show, Arkhan. So on to the next one eh?  :mrgreen:
Lol I wasn't serious....or was I?!  :twisted:

Joe Redifer

So should I ban him?  I can even ban his IP and make it so he can't even see the forums.  I will also ban him from Sega-16 and the-magicbox.com just for good measure.  Or not.

Arkhan Asylum

No offense Zeon, and possibly anyone else....

its a "quiz"! #-o  That was kind of the point.  I clipped the picture so it WOULD look like a racing game just to see who was on their toes.  Giving an easy to recognize screen shot doesn't make it a quiz.  It makes it a race to see who posts first.  There have been some other stumpers in here too.  

You don't play a lot of RPGs ( I don't think ).  Its not hard to pick out grassy fields and scenery from games by looking once you re familiar with them.

Sorry if the hints were a little off, but I figured when I said no one was warm with their racing and shooting guesses, and then said it was an RPG, it nudged everyone in the right direction.  Maybe part of the problem is that pcengine.co.uk doesn't have screen shots of Sol Bianca :-D

Sol Bianca is sci-fi! But it definitely pulls a Cosmic Fantasy and has a lot of fantasy-like elements to it... not because its a "generic RPG" with "forgettable scenery", but because in the future they STILL HAVE GRASS AND MOUNTAINS! :)  Why limit that to just fantasy games?

and maybe no one got it because not alot of people have played Sol Bianca.  This means people should play it!  Its pretty fun.

generic? Eh. Debatable.   Obscure/not popular? I think so.

No reason to whine just because you couldn't get it Zeon :)   Maybe next time I will make a really easy one just for you.  Like a full screenshot of the first level of Bonk.  :-"

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestin the future they STILL HAVE GRASS AND MOUNTAINS!
No, the future is 100% metallic.  There can be grass and mountains, yes... but they would be metal grass and mountains.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/03/2009, 04:24 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhanin the future they STILL HAVE GRASS AND MOUNTAINS!
No, the future is 100% metallic.  There can be grass and mountains, yes... but they would be metal grass and mountains.
lol.  metal mountain sounds like an 80s metal group.

I can see it now.  dudes in cyber viking suits. 

CLIMB THE METALLLL MOUNTAINNNNNN.  SMOOOKE THE METAL GRASSSSSS.  WIELD YOUR MIGHTY AXE ITS TIME TO KICK SOME ASSSSSSSS

*bnewneweewewewwwwww*

wait its the future, all the sounds have to be

*pewpewpewpewwwww*

Zeon

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2009, 04:16 AMNo offense Zeon, and possibly anyone else....

its a "quiz"! #-o  That was kind of the point.  I clipped the picture so it WOULD look like a racing game just to see who was on their toes.  Giving an easy to recognize screen shot doesn't make it a quiz.  It makes it a race to see who posts first.  There have been some other stumpers in here too. 
The problem wasn't entirely the level of challenge. The main problem is for such a nondescript picture you drug your feet too long in giving useful hints. Black Tiger may have posted equally perplexing "piles of pixels" but he was quick to give further hints. Though he mainly expanded the picture, like you, your screenie was so very generic it wasn't of much help whatsoever. That and it took like 3 pages before we actually got a useful hint out of you. Ie the fact that it was from a non fantasy based cd rpg.

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2009, 04:16 AMYou don't play a lot of RPGs ( I don't think ).  Its not hard to pick out grassy fields and scenery from games by looking once you re familiar with them.
Quite the contrary, I LOVE RPGs; in fact, I play them more than any other genre. Just not so many japan exclusives. I stand by my statement fully, sure if you recently played the game in question, you might recognize it right away. I don't know about you, but I don't think many on here have played Sol Bianca in the past 2 months let alone the past year. A block filled with grass, some mountains, and a piece of a town could literally look like a crap ton of rpgs. Especially if it's been a long while since you played the rpg in question. Of ALL the things I remember about any rpg I play, the pixel by pixel details of some grass, part of a town, and some mountain tops are not going to be anywhere high on the list, and they certainly won't be ones I remember in that much detail to where I can say with any amount of certainty that such a picture came from x rpg I might have played 3 years ago.

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2009, 04:16 AMNo reason to whine just because you couldn't get it Zeon :)   Maybe next time I will make a really easy one just for you.  Like a full screenshot of the first level of Bonk.  :-"
[sarcasm]Dagumit!!!! I don't need no stinkin' reason ! I'll whine if I damn well please, and don't you give me no lip 'bout it either, boy! Kid's think they're so smart these days, boy I tell you, back in my day kids knew their place. There wasn't none of this backtalkin' nonsense. They did what they were told, because they knew that if they didn't, BAM! They get some sense knocked back into them![/sarcasm]

...By the was I was being sarcastic! :P

Arkhan Asylum

I didnt drag my feet really. 

Sorry I didnt make it easy enough for you to handle. 

Is this better? :)

IMG

HINT: ITS BONKS ADVENTURE.
dork :)

Zeon

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2009, 05:28 AMI didnt drag my feet really. 

Sorry I didnt make it easy enough for you to handle. 

Is this better? :)

IMG

HINT: ITS BONKS ADVENTURE.

dork :)
Hmm.... well that's a real noodle-scratcher. I mean it could obviously be any of the 100s of games on the pce.  :-k

Oh I got it! PC Genjin! That whole "Bonks Adventure" thing threw me off man! Not cool, with the making up of game names! That was too tricky...

Arkhan Asylum

I thought english games were your specialty since Japanese is scary time for you :)

Bonk is cooler than PC Genjin anyways.

Im glad they didnt try to transfer that play on words to the us and call it like

Turbo Grafxjin or something

ccovell

You guys are getting tiresome.  But I gotta agree with Zeon, that screenshot has some of the most generic-looking RPG grass and mountains I've seen.  I was even going to post something similar to what Zeon did, but I'm glad I didn't..........

It reminds me of the Pepsi Challenge... they both just taste like cola and it's hard to tell them apart when they're tepid.

On to the next picture, folks!!?

blueraven

Sorry, Necromancer, I owe you one;

Trying to get this thread back in the right direction  :mrgreen:

IMG

CrackTiger

blueraven

NecroPhile

Perhaps Fray in Magical Adventure?

Quote from: blueraven on 06/03/2009, 03:09 PMSorry, Necromancer, I owe you one;
Thief!!!  :D

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2009, 04:09 PMPerhaps Fray in Magical Adventure?
Thief!!!  :D
lol. Nope.

_Paul

blueraven

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 06/03/2009, 11:33 AMYou guys are getting tiresome.  But I gotta agree with Zeon, that screenshot has some of the most generic-looking RPG grass and mountains I've seen.  I was even going to post something similar to what Zeon did, but I'm glad I didn't..........
eh were just dickin around.

I guess I figured everyone had played sol bianca enough to recognize the scenes.

Mmmm

is that picture Devils Crush?

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 06/03/2009, 07:13 PMis that picture Devils Crush?
!?... Hey!..... HEY!.... HEY(!), you're banned from guessing!  8)