10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

1up.com TurboGrafx-16 Retrospective

Started by jlued686, 08/11/2009, 10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlued686

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3175512

Not a bad article.  And I mentioned these forums in the comments section.

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

RoyVegas

All is well. :)

nat

Interesting article, thanks for posting.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NecroPhile

Good stuff there; thanks for sharing.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Some of the comments have inaccuracies in them (like the chump who talked about "two 8 bit processors") but it's not a bad article at all.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

DJLobo

Always good to read some positive press. Thanks for the link.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

Bake

Quote from: OldRover on 08/13/2009, 04:13 PMSome of the comments have inaccuracies in them (like the chump who talked about "two 8 bit processors") but it's not a bad article at all.
Many articles that I've read have said that the turbo had two 8 bit processors and therefore it is not a "true" 16 bit system.  I never really understood that.  So is the Turbo a 16 bit system or what?  I'm sure this has been addressed before, but since you mentioned it...

OldRover

Quote from: Bake on 08/13/2009, 09:01 PMMany articles that I've read have said that the turbo had two 8 bit processors and therefore it is not a "true" 16 bit system.  I never really understood that.  So is the Turbo a 16 bit system or what?  I'm sure this has been addressed before, but since you mentioned it...
The machine has a single 8-bit processor in it...the HuC6280, which is based in part on the WDC_65C02. The 16 bit part comes from the graphics circuitry. The HuC6270 (VDC) and HuC6260 (VCE) are both 16 bit chips. Of course, the "bits" of the system is totally irrelevant in reality. Processor speed and efficiency are far more important. But during those days, people were suckered into the marketing spiel of "bits" without even understanding things like clock speed, instruction times, and data throughput. Humans are simplistic, stupid beasts who are easy to manipulate with more simple terms, like "bits". :D
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Joe Redifer

So is the PS3 128 bits and the Xbox 360 125 bits or what?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/14/2009, 04:16 AMSo is the PS3 128 bits and the Xbox 360 125 bits or what?
Using Jaguar math, the PS3 clocks in at a studly 1344 bits while the lowly 360 only sports 448 bits.

PS3: (8 cell processors x 128 bits) + (1 cpu x 64 bits) + (1 gpu x 256 bits) = an awesome 1344 bits
360: (1 cpu x 3 separate cores x 64 bits) + (1 gpu x 256 bits) = a weak ass 448 bits.

CrackTiger

That one 8-bit comment also said that it is obvious to everyone from the graphics that it's not 16-bit, unlike the Genesis' graphics. It's these kinds of distinctions that are stupid and are different than when people simply mention that the cpu itself is technically 8-bit.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/14/2009, 03:52 PMThat one 8-bit comment also said that it is obvious to everyone from the graphics that it's not 16-bit, unlike the Genesis' graphics. It's these kinds of distinctions that are stupid and are different than when people simply mention that the cpu itself is technically 8-bit.
Agreed.  When fools make such stupid observations, I like to point out that the Intellivision's cpu was a 16 bit processor, yet for some odd reason, they refuse to argue that its graphics are equal to those found on the SNES and Genesis.

rag-time4

I was really underwhelmed by the quote at the end of the article that described the impact of the PC-Engine CD-ROM...

"If it weren't for the existence of the PCE CD-ROM," said Tabeta, "I think it would have taken another year or so for the format to get fully adopted worldwide."

So the impact was that it pushed the adoption of the CD-ROM format forward one year?

OldRover

A year of time in a new technology is a very long time.

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 08/15/2009, 08:46 AMA year of time in a new technology is a very long time.
Plus, I think he was being conservative. He didn't want to make a bold claim, so he played it safe. CD-ROM was a very expensive, cutting-edge technology in the late 80's consumer computer world.

Without the PCE CD-ROM, it is safe to assume that we'd still be using floppy disks! Believe.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

The people that make inaccurate comments about systems are people that never owned them/played alot of games on em, got suckered into NINTENDO IS TEH BEST LOLZ or SEGA GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDONT and repeat facts they have read/heard a'la the old game of telephone:

Fact: Final Fantasy VII is on 3 Discs

translation by doofus: DUDE THEY PUT 3 DISCS WORTH OF STUFF ON ONE CD BECAUSE SQUARE IS TEH AWESUM

Fact: Jaguar is 64 bit but still sucks
translation: dude! its 64 bits that maens it teh BEST THING EVER.  Its liek virutal realty!

misinformed fanboys with 1-up mushroom shirts they bought at the mall with their mommies money, I imagine.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

TurbografxKid

Very nice enjoyable article. It brought back memories. I purchased my Turbo Duo during that last year of 1993. And it was only by chance that I ended up with one. I was really trying to get a hold of the CD attachment for my Turbo Grafx 16. The mailorder place had ran out of them when I ordered. So as a supplement they sent me the Turbo Duo. At that time paying $149.00 for the Duo was a big bargain. Needless to say I was one happy camper. Or gamer.