10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Quote from: Digi.k on 11/08/2008, 07:47 PMGears of War 2.. its like an interractive Hollywood action blockbuster with dialogue and story from an Arnold Schwartzenegger movie (but done better)

IMG
Why is that man's shoulder bigger than his head.

Huh, you know, now that I think about it, I think this one picture pretty well sums up why I don't like most current-gen action games.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: MobiusWhy is that man's shoulder bigger than his head.
I was seriously going to ask that EXACT same question!  I was also going to ask why he didn't seem to have a neck.  Then I realized the answer:  Gawdawful character design.  I don't like the main character, either... the guy with the do-rag.  Only assholes and morons wear do-rags.  He can go to hell.  Also, you can bet your entire life savings that every character in that game has lots and lots of 'tude.  Can't have a game these days without copious amounts of 'tude.

I agree about the reasoning of your dislike of current gen games.  Who the hell wants to play this unimaginative shit?

TR0N

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 12/10/2008, 08:38 PMA Famicom action RPG from Konami I haven't touched much, but it's pretty fun all of a sudden...

it's called Dragon Scroll (1987)

(All pics taken on my cell phone camera)
IMG

In game
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

I don't know about you guys, but I think this Game Over screen is scary as hell, mainly because the detail on that dragon is so rich for being on 8-bit
IMG
Bump! How is that game so far a pretty good rpg ? For that matter do ya need to know japanese realy well to get by on it ?
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: TR0N on 12/11/2008, 01:19 AM
Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 12/10/2008, 08:38 PMA Famicom action RPG from Konami I haven't touched much, but it's pretty fun all of a sudden...

it's called Dragon Scroll (1987)
Bump! How is that game so far a pretty good rpg ? For that matter do ya need to know japanese realy well to get by on it ?

Yeah you pretty much do. But there is an FAQ out for it now.

But I have been going back and forth between the cartridge and the English ROM. Can't wait to Tube it.

TR0N

Famicom
Kage:also know in the u.s as shadow of the ninja.

NeoGeo
Kabuki Klash
Last Resort
IMG

nectarsis

Just started Linda3 PCE tonight.  So far I'm VERY impressed.  The music is great, monster design borders on the hilarious, and the battle system is unique.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

rolins

Playing Ikari Warriors for the arcade pcb and MSX2 port. Having a blast playing the arcade pcb, I really need to put together a second CP with a LS-30 joystick. My friends are anxious for some 2player action.

As for the MSX2 port, I really had high hopes for this one. The graphics are nice but whoever ported this did poor job with everything else.

TR0N

NeoGeo
Waku Waku 7 (Got a kit of this a while ago what a silly fighter  :lol:)
Last Resort

Famicom
MetalGear (Thanks to sensei got it cib though my memory is fuzzy on playing it again)
IMG

termis

Just got a 2nd hand Xbox (the original, that is) for Christmas.  Tried out Splinter Cell and Forza.  In fact, it's the first time I played a console game in 7 months!  Anyway, the unit's going to be used mostly for emulation purposes...

I quite like Forza, and Splinter Cell is alright, but man, I HATE getting lost in camera angles with these damn 3D games.  Now I remember why I generally stick to 2D gaming...

I'm just waiting for my step-down transformer order to arrive I can finally power on my good old Duo...  :D

Tatsujin

still remains unchanged:

-final fight cd (mega cd)
-axelay (sfc)
-elemental master (md)
-thunder force III (md)
-batman returns (sfc)
-super mario bros. 3 (fc)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

DJLobo

Persona 3 - Fes - The Journey. I might take a break before I start The Answer and play some Mega Man 9.
Early to bed, early to rise gives a man no social life. - Yakko Warner

NecroPhile

Sidearms
Parasol Stars
Kabuki Itouryodan  <-- It's all that and a bag of crisps
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

PCEngineHell

Wolfenstien Enemy Territories. Cant seem to get motivated to play much else past few days  :cry: .

JoshTurboTrollX

played some Castlevania Halloween special '98 yesterday.  So much hacky goodness!!

:D
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Lord Thag

PC-E:

Salamander and Image fight! Soooooo much fun.

Saturn:

Just scored a Saturn. Been playing Mass Destruction, Robotica (think Doom meets Rogue) and Daytona. Oh, and Duke Nuke'em. Nobody steals our chicks ... and lives!  :lol:
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

Alt-PyschoNintega

PCE: Soldier Blade - Hard Mode
Saturn : Wolf Fang SS
Genesis: Gain Ground
IMG

nectarsis

Played some blazing Star today.such sweetness...tonight I'll be firing up Manji Maru DS again.

TR0N

Once in a while this thread must rise from your gave  :roll:

Neo Geo
Aero Fighters 3
Waku Waku 7

Famicom/FDS
Gyruss
IMG

esteban

Genesis: Dynamite Duke
Neo Geo: Magician Lord
My brain hurts: Dimahoo
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TR0N

Wii
Punch Out!!

Neo Geo MVS
Captain Tomaday

PS2
Samurai Shodown Anthology
IMG

TR0N

Once in a while this thread needs a kick in the ballz to get it going  :roll:

Any ways currently.

PS3
Metal Gear Solid 4
BlazBlue

PCE-Duo-R
Galaga 90
IMG

override

Yesterday I recieved an email with a newsletter that Dungeons and Dragons Online: Storm Reach has a new addition! - DDO Online Unlimited...FREE TO PLAY FOR EVERYONE!

I got all giggley and hyper and read into it (looking for a catch22) and found out they are going to go through a point system like most of the MMORPG's online you may or may not always see.

DDO on the other hand seems for the most part to have done right on the situation:

You can still get loot, and in game chests with good rewarding items!
They still allow mail,auctions,trades and various findings in side quests.
You can still earn ingame money and shop at the inns for healing potions etc...

After getting in game and checking out the store it seems very basic and simplistic, yet for people who want something now (if they have the money/points) it is welcome to them.

Also noted that you can keep your older existing characters, and things that can be bought with "Turbine Points" can be unlocked just by simply playing the game. Ofcourse we all know MMORPG's take up your life, so maybe they are trying to incorporate a method into the game for normal people,like me, that can't just sit infront of a computer screen for 14 hours a day and play a friggin game!

With all that being said.....DDO Online Unlimited is going to be my current most played game!

With Tales of Phantasia (GBA) coming in second, and Random PCE time coming in third!
IMG

esteban

Board games: Speed Scrabble, Monopoly, Operation (with my feet, so as to provide challenge).

MotoRoader (got brothers/friends to play this again! I love the music in this goddamn game: double-bass drum masculinity marries fanciful synth keyboards in heaven. Very unique formula, IMHO).

Monster Lair (SCD -- trying to rekindle my skillz, I was able to 1CC this back in the day.)

Eliss (iPhone -- I still don't get it)
Galcon (iPhone -- it was updated in the last few weeks with some stuff)
Cosmic Nitro (iPhone -- my daughter and I love this for quick diversions. I really dig the techno/dance music)
Word Fu (iPhone -- to satisfy my speed scrabble/Boggle addiction)

jboypacman

I got a PSX in the mail today and a copy of Deathtrap Dungeon and gave it a little play through today.

I found the controls to be a little clunky but the graphics were decent for what they were for the time this game came out.

Ninja Spirit

Very aggravating afternoon today....

Attempted videotaping a no death run at PC Engine Salamander and to put it on Facebook...I was so pissed off being I was so close.

On the last stretch to Zelos blasting away Moai and dodgling the lasers on the floor, I was caught off guard by a stray bullet. All went downhill after that

It's one of those games where even though you know how the game behaves with memorization, it can still set off this certain vibe that something's about to go wrong cause you had to do something differently

TR0N

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 09/05/2009, 07:16 PMVery aggravating afternoon today....

Attempted videotaping a no death run at PC Engine Salamander and to put it on Facebook...I was so pissed off being I was so close.

On the last stretch to Zelos blasting away Moai and dodgling the lasers on the floor, I was caught off guard by a stray bullet. All went downhill after that

It's one of those games where even though you know how the game behaves with memorization, it can still set off this certain vibe that something's about to go wrong cause you had to do something differently
That sucks you came close but falled short towards the end.Yeah,with that shooter it can happen compare to a r-type.If you don't memorize the stages in salamander it's game over befor you know it.
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: TR0N on 09/05/2009, 10:45 PM
Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 09/05/2009, 07:16 PMVery aggravating afternoon today....

That sucks you came close but falled short towards the end.Yeah,with that shooter it can happen compare to a r-type.If you don't memorize the stages in salamander it's game over befor you know it.
It's them pixels....they pull a fast one on your mind

when bullets camouflage themselves with the background and the distracting chaos...

SNKNostalgia

PS1: Policenauts in English. Well, trying to play it on my PS1. I keep making half-ass CD-Rs that freeze up random times. What happened to the typical dark blue CD-Rs that always worked from 1999, arghhh.

XBLA: Shadow Complex. This is a very fun side scrolling Metroid-vania type game with some decent story. This is my favorite release for XBLA next to Bionic Commando.

Neo Geo AES: Real Bout Fatal Fury 2. I usually always play FF 3 and Real Bout Special, but I am liking the different moves and combos on this one. Also, has fast pace gameplay due to less demo screens and the sway system instead of the typical old line system from FF1, 2 and Special.

JoshTurboTrollX

got in a little NFL 2K5 before work.

2 Days till kick off w00T!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jboypacman

Today i played Gate of Thunder,The Kung-Fu,Cadash and SonSon II. :D

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: jboypacman on 09/08/2009, 10:52 PMToday i played Gate of Thunder,The Kung-Fu,Cadash and SonSon II. :D
Last night I played some more Valis III until I got sufficiently frustrated. Then popped in Gate of Thunder, which I finally cleared. Then threw on some Macross 2036, which I almost cleared. Hopefully tonight I'll clear that sucker. A pretty decent shootie if I don't say so myself. I then popped in Lords of Thunder briefly.

Tonight's playlist will include:

Macross 2036
Valis III
Nexzr
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

blueraven

This is an awesome thread, BTW.

I played Galaga '90 for 3 hours yesterday, in between studying for classes. I then played Lode Runner Lost Labyrinth for an hour, and because it has no music, I played hip-hop in the background.  :mrgreen:

Tonight I'm going to finish level 3 of Xanadu pt. 1.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: blueraven on 09/10/2009, 08:42 PMThis is an awesome thread, BTW.

I played Galaga '90 for 3 hours yesterday, in between studying for classes. I then played Lode Runner Lost Labyrinth for an hour, and because it has no music, I played hip-hop in the background.  :mrgreen:

Tonight I'm going to finish level 3 of Xanadu pt. 1.
How is the Galaga '90 quest going, anyway?
IMG

TR0N

Wii
Muramasa The Demon Blade:This a gem by vanillaware it's good old fasion hack'n'slash gameplay with some rpg elements in it.Any body looking for a good game by a third party please check it out asap !!!!!

GT review of it.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-muramasa-the/55684

PS3
MGS4:On act 4 i'm stuck on a boss battle where i gota snipe to win...
BlazBlue
IMG

nectarsis

I've been alternating between:

PSP:
Tales of Destiny 2  (the real one not Eternia)

Tales of Rebirth

blueraven

Quote from: ceti alpha on 09/10/2009, 09:47 PMHow is the Galaga '90 quest going, anyway?
Consistent 500-600,000 point games. getting comfortable with the last stage.

:|

TR0N

PS3
Resident Evil 5
SFIV
Ghostbusters The Video Game
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Bikkuriman World

Also tried Left 4 Dead and Raiden IV on the 360.
IMG

blueraven

With Galaga gone, and Tatsunoko Fighter put away for a very long time, back to Xanadu pt1.

Cleared levels 4 & 5 yesterday, working on 6ATM.

BlackandBlue

Still waiting for my copy of Uncharted 2 to arrive.  Passed the time with some Little Big Planet last night.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

RoyVegas

Been playing Soldier Blade lately.  I pretty much get to level 6 and crap out every time.  I'll get it eventually.
All is well. :)

blueraven

XANADU

Levels 6, 7, 8 are cleared!

The slave-farm level is truly insane.

MotoRoaderMike

Phantasy Star IV
Phantasy Star III
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

nectarsis

Ys Seven (DAMN fun)
Gran Turismo psp

blueraven

Lvl. 9 Xanadu pt.1,
The Kung Fu
Ninja Warriors
Dungeon Explorer
Intro for Dragon Slayer

Ceti Alpha

Ghosts 'n Goblins (MAME)
Axis and Allies Online
IMG

blueraven

MTG Online
The Kung Fu - 138,000 points
Pong

esteban

MotoRoaderMike

Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 2 locked on, and Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 3 locked on
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

blueraven

I don't know what that means.

I played Super Swarszszzchild and had absolutely no idea what was going on.