RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

PC in a Duo-R shell

Started by NecroPhile, 08/04/2009, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

A big thanks to Takumi Suidu for the heads up on this one.

For those who aren't on the Turbo Mailing List: a complete PC shoehorned into a Duo-R case (babelfish translation).  Though it lacks a game pad for gaming, it partially makes up for the omission with a PCE mouse converted to USB and a NEC branded keyboard.  What's not to love about a fairly competent PC with Blue-ray playback and a TV tuner (the HuCard slot was commandeered for the decoder card), all wrapped up in such an awesome package?  Pretty fucking awesome, if you ask me.  8)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

lol..japanese otakism at its best :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

guyjin

wow. that's awesome.

but what happened to the poor duo-innards? perhaps we could shove 'em in a PC case?  O:)

shubibiman

Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2009, 12:15 PMA big thanks to Takumi Suidu for the heads up on this one.

For those who aren't on the Turbo Mailing List: a complete PC shoehorned into a Duo-R case (babelfish translation).  Though it lacks a game pad for gaming, it partially makes up for the omission with a PCE mouse converted to USB and a NEC branded keyboard.  What's not to love about a fairly competent PC with Blue-ray playback and a TV tuner (the HuCard slot was commandeered for the decoder card), all wrapped up in such an awesome package?  Pretty fucking awesome, if you ask me.  8)
:shock: Amazing!!!

MUST.... BUILD..... ONE....... NAO!

BlackandBlue

Damn, even fitted a hotswap drive.  Pretty impressive.  I've been wanting to do this with something like a Dreamcast, since they are cheap to pick up and wouldnt end up killing a Duo.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Arkhan Asylum

ever see the nintendo one? :)

I was building one into a Commodore 1541 floppy but I got bored and smashed it with a hammer
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2009, 05:42 AMbut I got bored and smashed it with a hammer
haw fa' did yo come? removing all the 1541 inards?
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Although it is a shame that a DUO was sacrificed for this, the final product is amazing.

Love the keyboard and mouse!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

and if it was a past off DUO?

guyjin

Never give up on a Duo!

NecroPhile

Perhaps this Duo was sacrificed to save the lives of many of his Duo brethren; that or his guts were transplanted into an awesome looking custom mecha case with rgb and region mods, built-in tap, and wireless capabilities.  A guy can dream anyway.

blueraven

Quote from: guyjin on 08/05/2009, 12:03 PMNever give up on a Duo!
Agreed. Never.

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2009, 12:31 PMPerhaps this Duo was sacrificed to save the lives of many of his Duo brethren; that or his guts were transplanted into an awesome looking custom mecha case with rgb and region mods, built-in tap, and wireless capabilities.  A guy can dream anyway.
One would hope that the technology was saved so that someone's system may live another day. Dream away!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 08/05/2009, 06:26 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/05/2009, 05:42 AMbut I got bored and smashed it with a hammer
haw fa' did yo come? removing all the 1541 inards?
I had power supply, CDROM, harddrive and all mounted and then decided that buying a tiny mobo to fit it was gay, so i took my gear out , replaced the 1541 drive mech and dropped a few sledgehammer blows down on it.  I felt like MC Hammer.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

kattare

I gotta admit... I admire the handiwork, but have a hard time understanding the motivation.  In a year or two it's gonna be a crappy outdated pc in place of what woulda been a nice duo.

Now if it was a PC AND a Duo (and not via emulation...) ... game on!
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

NecroPhile

Here's another one from the Turbo List: a PC stuffed in a CGII case.

blueraven

:shock: Wow. Is that a wifi card in the slot?!?!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 10/22/2009, 06:31 PMHere's another one from the Turbo List: a PC stuffed in a CGII case.
What kind of PC, and how do you know its a PC? Even with today's stuff that would be a really tight fit.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/22/2009, 07:46 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/22/2009, 06:31 PMHere's another one from the Turbo List: a PC stuffed in a CGII case.
What kind of PC, and how do you know its a PC? Even with today's stuff that would be a really tight fit.
one of those mini itx boards would fit fine in one of those.

SignOfZeta

With no drives and enough heat to melt the case after a few minutes of use?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/23/2009, 02:08 AMWith no drives and enough heat to melt the case after a few minutes of use?
use an IDE to CF adapter, or boot Linux off a USB stick. :)

those things dont run that hot.

NecroPhile

Quote from: blueraven on 10/22/2009, 06:37 PM:shock: Wow. Is that a wifi card in the slot?!?!
Here and here are a couple of other pics that show a different card in the HuCard slot (or more likely, the same card with a new label).  I don't know what it is, but based on the label (...0 GB), I'd guess that it's a hard drive of some sort.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/22/2009, 07:46 PMWhat kind of PC, and how do you know its a PC?
I'm just going by what was in the Turbo List post, so I don't know what's on the inside; I also can't read any of the chicken scratches, so I don't know if there's any good info. in the pic descriptions.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/22/2009, 07:46 PMEven with today's stuff that would be a really tight fit.
I'm sure it'd be a tight fit, but not impossible.  Check out some of the latest Atom and Via based systems -they're tiny and run relatively cool, though not terribly powerful; one such system is the Fit PC 2, which sports a 1.6ghz Atom processor, 1gb Ram, 2.5" drive bay, 802.11g, gigabit ethernet, and 6 USB ports, all crammed into a 4" x 4.5" x 1" package.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, that card must be a SSD of some sort.
IMG

esteban

This has inspired me to shove the innards of Roku into a PCE. The infrared receiver will be in the controller port.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

BlackandBlue

I have an extra white PCE case laying around...  Hmmm, sure I can find something to make out of it.
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

blueraven

Thats gotta be an Atom pc.