10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Games you beat ONCE, and dread to try again.

Started by termis, 05/03/2010, 12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

As the title states - discuss. 

For me:
* Last Battle, Genesis - I dunno how, but I somehow beat this *once*, and never could do it again.  Damn tough game.  Anyone else here beat this one?
* Ninja Gaiden, NES - I HATE the fact that you have to go all the way back to beginning of the level if you die at the last boss.  Again, I beat it once, and never had the strength to even try again after that.  Sequels were tough, but no where near the first one.
* Castlevania, NES - Grim Reaper was the one that got me for the longest time.  I actually recently beat it again, but had to resort to using save states on a emulator.  Man, I can't believe I once beat this without cheating.
* Valis III, PCE - I only recently beat this (within the past few years).  Everyone here seems to know about the water level...
* Ghost 'n Goblins - Having to go back to level 1 after continuing 5000 times to beat the last boss for the first trip...  Ugh.
* Blaster Master, NES - Another super tough one IIRC.  I remember spending hours on this one to get anywhere near the end.  Did it once, and never tried to repeat.

Hmmm... I'm noticing they're mostly NES games.  I guess that was the era when things were most challenging.  And I'm not mentioning any RPG games, as they're mostly just about putting in more time, and not about having to perform amazing feats of reflexes.

Arkhan Asylum

Final Fantasy 12

if I try it again Ill probably kill myself out of boredom.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 05/03/2010, 12:57 AMFinal Fantasy 12

I was thinking the same thing about Final Fantasy VII.

Opethian

I think the only Final Fantasy game I could run through again is IV. Blaster Master is a beast past the crab boss. I'd probably never want to run though Phantasy Star Online ever again lol
IMG

blueraven

Wonder Momo
Tatsunoko Fighter
Faxanadu (for the NES)
Earthbound
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

oldskool

esteban

Rampage (NES) -- It became so tedious, I just wanted to see the end... I don't think I'd play to the end again. This, of course, was over two decades ago... and I STILL REMEMBER THE TEDIUM :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

termis

Quote from: esteban on 05/09/2010, 11:31 PMRampage (NES) -- It became so tedious, I just wanted to see the end... I don't think I'd play to the end again. This, of course, was over two decades ago... and I STILL REMEMBER THE TEDIUM :)
Can you actually beat Rampage?  I thought it just loops back to the first stage, my my memory could be failing me...

Ceti Alpha

Great thread topic, Termis!  :mrgreen:

Termis, is the GnG you listed the NES port?

Off the top of my head, Arkanoid is a game I dread to have to beat again. I love the game, but it's just too damn crazy. heh
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

termis

Quote from: ceti alpha on 05/10/2010, 09:44 AMTermis, is the GnG you listed the NES port?
Yeah, though the same is true when I played the arcade version through one of the old retro compilation discs (or MAME).  I recollect seeing many a diehard gamers who actually got to the last level on GnG on the arcade, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone reach the last boss (even in the first loop) in a quarter-munching setting.

Senshi

Quote from: rag-time4 on 05/03/2010, 01:40 AM

I was thinking the same thing about FF XIII  :P
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

esteban

Quote from: termis on 05/10/2010, 09:08 AM
Quote from: esteban on 05/09/2010, 11:31 PMRampage (NES) -- It became so tedious, I just wanted to see the end... I don't think I'd play to the end again. This, of course, was over two decades ago... and I STILL REMEMBER THE TEDIUM :)
Can you actually beat Rampage?  I thought it just loops back to the first stage, my my memory could be failing me...
Yes, you can. There's even a brief little ending sequence (NES version).

:)

blueraven

Quote from: Senshi on 05/11/2010, 03:39 PM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 05/03/2010, 01:40 AM

I was thinking the same thing about FF XIII  :P
I was thinking the same thing about FF2 (Famicom/PSP)

kitkit.com

Rockman X4 (Saturn version)- spent 6 hours trying to beat the final boss using Zero. It was extremely frustrating.  Beat it and never want to play that game again

Ninja Spirits (PC Engine)- I beat it once long long time ago.  I remember the last 2 stages are pretty tough. 

Super Ghosts & Ghouls (SNES) - Beat it once and never want to go through the torture again.

Arkhan Asylum

oldskool

After Roy and I played and beat Riot Zone recently, I'd have to add that to the list.

It was so boring we were practically falling asleep while playing it.

Hell Roy was half asleep and just button mashing and beat the last guy.

termis

Yeah, I do recall Riot Zone being a pretty boring game.  Too bad the PCE never had a real quality beat-em-up in the vain of Streets of Rage or Final Fight.  I mean, I can't think of single title other than Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom) that one would consider to be a good beat-em-for the PCE.

Edit:  Oh wait, Double Dragon II for PCE wasn't half bad.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: oldskool on 05/31/2010, 03:37 AMAfter Roy and I played and beat Riot Zone recently, I'd have to add that to the list.

It was so boring we were practically falling asleep while playing it.

Hell Roy was half asleep and just button mashing and beat the last guy.
heh. I have to agree. The biggest challenge of Riot Zone is making it through the game without losing your mind from boredom.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Call me insane but I can sit through the whole game without a problem, lol.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2010, 02:19 PMCall me insane but I can sit through the whole game without a problem, lol.
You're insane.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

I also like Hydlide and Keith Courage and China Warrior :D

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 05/31/2010, 02:53 PMI also like Hydlide and Keith Courage and China Warrior :D
Nothing wrong with Keith Courage. It's got very rich music and who can forget that pistol-head enemy?

Arkhan Asylum

i like how you ignore Hydlide

I SEE HOW IT IS.  YOU HATE IT TOO AMIRITE?

:D

blueraven

REVISED LIST 2.0

Adds Astyanax to List;
Wirehead (Sega CD) I don't normally advocate using games as kindling.
Dick Tracy (NES - I had to call the fucking Nintendo Power hotline to find Al Pacino in 1989. ONLY TIME EVAR. It was B4 teh internetz)
Texas: Ground Zero (Sega CD) - Game was so easy I almost fell asleep during the end boss. If you can aim he takes about 7 seconds.
Joe & Mac: Leave it to the SNES to Butcher Caveman Ninja.

Arkhan Asylum

LOL ground zero.

oh man.

what a DISASTER.

I didn't even give that game the chance to be completed. I couldn't stand it.

oldskool

I was playing some Wirehead last night, that game is kinda cool I thought.

Quote from: blueraven on 06/01/2010, 05:04 AMREVISED LIST 2.0

Adds Astyanax to List;
Dick Tracy (NES - I had to call the fucking Nintendo Power hotline to find Al Pacino in 1989. ONLY TIME EVAR. It was B4 teh internetz)
Texas: Ground Zero (Sega CD) - Game was so easy I almost fell asleep during the end boss. If you can aim he takes about 7 seconds.

esteban

Athena (NES) -- Just joking! I've never come close to beating that one...

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: esteban on 06/06/2010, 03:21 PMAthena (NES) -- Just joking! I've never come close to beating that one...
it's trickydicky to beat that one.  but it's one of those games that you can mindlessly play and still enjoy. :)

you cant mindlessly play Prince of Persia.  You will be falling to your death every 3 seconds.

Sparky

When i was younger/kiddy i cleared most to all of the RPGs for the SMS... Phantasy Star, Ys, Miracle Warriors, Golvellius...

I have a lot of fond memories of playing these but i dread everyone to do again...i just could not commit the time to them, far to long... but i do replay the endings from time to time as the battery save in my carts are still holding strong  <<cool pose>>  8)

Arkhan Asylum

Well, Golvellius is pretty easy once you have beaten it one time and know where all the junk is that you have to go get. :D

termis

Quote from: guest on 06/06/2010, 09:35 PMWhen i was younger/kiddy i cleared most to all of the RPGs for the SMS... Phantasy Star, Ys, Miracle Warriors, Golvellius...

I have a lot of fond memories of playing these but i dread everyone to do again...i just could not commit the time to them, far to long... but i do replay the endings from time to time as the battery save in my carts are still holding strong  <<cool pose>>  8)
Yeah, I also recall competing 3 of the 4 mentioned a looooooong time ago (minus Golvellius).  Good times. 

The only thing I remember about Miracle Warriors was how I beat the game and I didn't expect it at all.  It was like, "Wha... that was the end?"

I went through Phantasy Star I twice.  It didn't seem as long the second time around -- Probably because I had the maps second time around to those crazy mazes (Lassic one in particular!). 

I believe I beat the SMS Ys after completing the TG16 version, because I remember thinking, "Man, this guy moves slow."

MAYBE I'll fire up one of these up someday when I have tons of time (after hitting the lottery jackpot, or retiring, etc), but it's not going to happen for some time...

SNKNostalgia

Games because they were hard and annoying in someway.

Bayou Billy NES - I tried playing this game again several times and wonder how I even made it past stage 2 or 3, not to mention beating the game period.

Double Dragon 3 NES - It was down to me with 3 life bars on the final boss. Way too many bosses on the last stage. Only beat it two player with a friend back in 92.

Friday the 13th NES - Back then even though the game sucks, I just didn't know better and beat Jason several times to get the real unsatisfying ending. Never again.

TMNT NES - I beat it back in 92 at a friends house. It is a hard game until you really get the hang of it, but it still just seems like a pain to want to figure out and beat again.

Ghouls n Ghosts Arcade (Capcom Classics for PS2) and Super GnG SNES - I really don't need to say why.

Art of Fighting 2 Neo Geo (CD version) - Actually did it twice the first month I owned it. Now, this is beating it without loosing a fight so you can get to Geese Howard. Duuuuude, you have no idea what hell it is if you haven't played it. Now when I beat my AES version I shamelessly cheat with the Unibios.

Air Zonk TG16 - Jesus Christ that last stage and the final boss was torturing.

Contra Shattered Soldier PS2 - I actually got 100% ranking and beat the real final boss with the best ending. Man, it took a lot of dying and starting over to do this. You can't miss one non re-spawning enemy or die, I think.

I am sure there are some more, but I can't remember everything. Most of these I beat during the times they were out plus 2 years or so, except Air Zonk about 1/2 a year ago and AOF2 in 98.

Still, I try to beat some games I haven't before and can't imagine doing it again once I do. Most of these are space shooters, a few RPGs, punishing adventure games and most games on the NES.

geise

Shadow of the Beast  1 and 2 (Amiga)
Awesome (also for Amiga)

blueraven

Quote from: oldskool on 06/05/2010, 01:10 PMI was playing some Wirehead last night, that game is kinda cool I thought.

Quote from: blueraven on 06/01/2010, 05:04 AMREVISED LIST 2.0

Adds Astyanax to List;
Dont EVER kick. Evar.

BlackandBlue

That's easy.  Tennokoe Bank.  I would never try to clear that shit again.
 :lol:
Another douche trying to obtain a full Turbo collection.  119/146 so far.  Got a long way to go. Half way there. Hit the 100 mark. ich bein ein obeyer

Colossus1574

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 06/17/2010, 06:50 PMFriday the 13th NES - Back then even though the game sucks, I just didn't know better and beat Jason several times to get the real unsatisfying ending. Never again.

Art of Fighting 2 Neo Geo (CD version) - Actually did it twice the first month I owned it. Now, this is beating it without loosing a fight so you can get to Geese Howard. Duuuuude, you have no idea what hell it is if you haven't played it. Now when I beat my AES version I shamelessly cheat with the Unibios.
That Friday 13th ending was like a slap in the face....don't forget Jason was a pain in the ass to kill with his cheap attacks while you're stuck on the rowboat!!!

AofF 2, that reminds me of playing no loss rounds to get to fight Ryo at the end of FatalFury 2 Special ! So damn tough.....

Addams Family: I'd like to add in Addams Family (Sunsoft, same maker as BlasterMaster)  for the NES, the "special feature" of the game was that u had to make it through with 1man, other wise they send you ALL THE WAY back to the start of the game....They actually advertised this as a unique feature!?!?!? WTF! You might as well just hit the reset button....

blueraven

Ghostbusters Infocom (text based for all you kiddies) back in the 80's.

I have no F****ing idea how I beat this game with my friend in elementary school. We STILL talk about the night we got wired on Jolt Cola and slayed the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man with our laser beams and containment units. We tried to repeat the task to no avail at least 10 times. Was some super epic win 5h1T.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: blueraven on 07/09/2010, 01:48 AMGhostbusters Infocom (text based for all you kiddies) back in the 80's.

I have no F****ing idea how I beat this game with my friend in elementary school. We STILL talk about the night we got wired on Jolt Cola and slayed the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man with our laser beams and containment units. We tried to repeat the task to no avail at least 10 times. Was some super epic win 5h1T.
reminds me of when I too got lit on Jolt cola, and blew through like, 18 hours of Ultima V extreme gaming. 

Ninja Spirit

Final Fantasy 5 and 9, mainly because of their final bosses Neo Exdeath and Necron, they have one thing in common, which is crippling your game by toying around with status ailments.

kid_rondeau

HUDSON'S ADVENTURE ISLAND (NES).

I wanted to take a nailgun to this piece of crap when I finally beat it. The chick you save at the end of that game is supposed to be named Lelani or some such, but it turns out her name is actually Tina.

What happened to Lelani? Did she choose to stay with the Witch Doctor in some Stockholm Syndrome-esque turn of events??

VestCunt

Ultima Exodus NES - I somehow managed to blast through the last castle, pray, and get the heck out while evading almost all of the monsters.  I've resumed my save file and tried a few times since and it's been nothing but endless fights bumping into every enemy.

TMNT NES - probably the hardest game I've beaten.

Miracle Warriors SMS - Haven't actually beaten this one.  I made it to the last boss without but my party doesn't have enough levels to beat her.  After coming so close, I've never had the motivation to wander around leveling up when I'm one step away from the end of the game.

Cosmic Fantasy 2 - Haven't beaten this either.  I got pretty far in '97 and then trashed my save file while learning how to use my first tennokoe bank.  I don't have the patience to turbo-switch my way through all of those fights again.
Topic Adjourned.

OldRover

Super Air Zonk for sure... played through it once and never will again... it's so BORING.

Lunar Silver Star Story (PSX). What an utter disgrace to the original... unbalanced as all fucking hell and not even remotely fun. Not even the cover art showing off Althena's cute booty was enough to save this pile of trash.

Castlevania II (NES). It's not a bad game overall, but I sure wouldn't wanna do all that over again only to find out that Simon is dead... again.

One game that would almost make this list is Nightmare Creatures (PSX). If not for the infinite cheat, I don't think I would have ever played it again when (and IF) I ever finished it. The ending SUCKS ASS and gives no real feeling of accomplishment for being such a difficult second-person-perspective brawler. If not for the awesome music and creepy environments, this game would be a total loss. But the infinite cheat makes the game not only completely playable, but *fun*... it doesn't, of course, change the fact that the ending is incredibly stupid. And forget about the sequel... I was bored from the opening moments of that one, and I sold it off the same day I bought it... oh yeah, I did that with the PSX remake of the Lunar sequel as well...
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

JoshTurboTrollX

Home Alone 2 (SNES)   yeah.... I don't want to talk about it...

let alone every play it again.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Smashed Brother

Contra Shattered Soldier (PS2) for sure!  Goddamn was that game ridiculously difficult!  Just when you think you beat the last boss, he comes at you one more time...it was just sheer luck that I beat it with the one life that I had left.  I still occasionally play the game, but not with the intention of trying to beat it again.
Purifying Weird Souls since 2000!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Smashed Brother on 08/29/2010, 12:47 AMContra Shattered Soldier (PS2) for sure!  Goddamn was that game ridiculously difficult!  Just when you think you beat the last boss, he comes at you one more time...it was just sheer luck that I beat it with the one life that I had left.  I still occasionally play the game, but not with the intention of trying to beat it again.
haha. The Contra series is crazy hard. I threw on Contra on MAME a little while ago and mega failed.
IMG

turbogrfxfan

any rpg x-cept Ys series.  I dont know if im older now and cant play em or Im just burnt out on em i dunno
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Smashed Brother

Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/31/2010, 02:39 PMhaha. The Contra series is crazy hard. I threw on Contra on MAME a little while ago and mega failed.
Back in the day, I could beat the NES Contra on one life.  Now that I'm 'grown up', my senses/reflexes seem to have dulled... :(
Purifying Weird Souls since 2000!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Smashed Brother on 09/01/2010, 03:20 AM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 08/31/2010, 02:39 PMhaha. The Contra series is crazy hard. I threw on Contra on MAME a little while ago and mega failed.
Back in the day, I could beat the NES Contra on one life.  Now that I'm 'grown up', my senses/reflexes seem to have dulled... :(
Shitty. You just need to get back up to speed. heh
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: Smashed Brother on 09/01/2010, 03:20 AMNow that I'm 'grown up', my senses/reflexes seem to have dulled... :(
Interesting... my gaming skills are sharper than they've ever been... weird how some people get better and some get worse. :P
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II