List of Stores That Sell Turbo Games

Started by jlued686, 12/31/2006, 01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 12/22/2010, 10:18 PMDoes the link work i cant get it to open
Nope.  Frappr was bought out by Platial and merged with their similar service, which has since been shuttered.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Lilgrafx

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2010, 09:18 AM
Quote from: Lilgrafx on 12/22/2010, 10:18 PMDoes the link work i cant get it to open
Nope.  Frappr was bought out by Platial and merged with their similar service, which has since been shuttered.
So is anyone going to put the list up somewhere else

malicedoom

So great to see all these posts about places selling TG-16/CD stuff, and RECENTLY.

I tell ya, it seems like when the product was first available, there wasn't as much interest THEN as there is NOW (yes, our marketing dept., for most of the original run anyway, really sucked - sad, but true).
Wait a minute... who am I here?

Marll

Quote from: malicedoom on 01/25/2011, 01:00 PMI tell ya, it seems like when the product was first available, there wasn't as much interest THEN as there is NOW (yes, our marketing dept., for most of the original run anyway, really sucked - sad, but true).
I swear I could have run the marketing dept. better when I was like 12 years old back then. In addition to that I'm pretty sure I could have made MUCH better decisions on what games to translate and bring to the US. SO many great Japanese games were overlooked for one reason or another.

Also, who the hell was in charge of cover art for the game boxes and manuals! Idiots! They should have just slapped English titles on the Japanese art and called it good, I am 100% convinced that a lot of people saw the box art for TG games and instantly went and bought a Genesis.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

TheClash603

Game Craze in Buffalo, NY has a ton of PCE games...  but they are expensive.

I look like Wayne every time I go in there and look at the $80 Double Dragon II.

...PS, if anyone buys it now, I'll hunt you down!  It is part of my weekend ritual.

malicedoom

Quote from: Marll on 01/25/2011, 06:48 PMI swear I could have run the marketing dept. better when I was like 12 years old back then. In addition to that I'm pretty sure I could have made MUCH better decisions on what games to translate and bring to the US. SO many great Japanese games were overlooked for one reason or another.

Also, who the hell was in charge of cover art for the game boxes and manuals! Idiots! They should have just slapped English titles on the Japanese art and called it good, I am 100% convinced that a lot of people saw the box art for TG games and instantly went and bought a Genesis.
Oh man, of that I have no doubt.  We were constantly in battle with development about which games they were bringing over and what they chose not to, etc.  And the constant 'cleaning up' of games - stuff that wasn't even necessary - changing the mask in Splatterhouse from white to red so Paramount wouldn't sue them for copyright on 'Friday the 13th'... ridiculous.

We were also always on them about the box art too, which is why they FINALLY dropped that 'black border' around the edge of the game box (the early releases) and went to 'full box graphic display' (like Bonk's Adventure, etc.) because it looked SO much better.
Wait a minute... who am I here?

Liquid Snake

This reminds me the good old day we had with Diehard Gamefan store..............
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

Lilgrafx

I don't Know If any one still post shops here but I recently went to DC to visit my brother and went to a shop called eStarland in Fair Fax Virginia. They had about 15 turbografx games most of which were mostly overprice. $41 for Military Madness!  [-(

They also have a Website which seems to have a much larger Turbo stuff but still overpriced.....

henrycsc

If you're ever in the Columbia, SC area, this place has some common TG16 stuff and a modest selection of PC Engine titles.

Software Seconds
4508 Saint Andrews Rd # 3
Columbia, SC 29210-4144

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=4311044432744777057&q=Software+Seconds,+Columbia,+SC&hl=en&dtab=2&sll=34.023155,-81.090764&sspn=0.066461,0.157088&ie=UTF8&ll=34.092473,-81.19257&spn=0,0&t=h&z=13
Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

geise

Software Seconds used to be good when Mike ran the place.  It's kinda shady now.  I forget the guy who runs it now.  He's nice but when there's a shit ton of stuff that doesn't have a price on it and you ask you know he's just making up a number.  Most of the stuff in that store has been there since the late 90's minus the turbo stuff.  A couple years back he had a crap ton of Hu Cards but quite a few were over priced.  I remember that they had a price list in a binder for the Turbo games and of course they wanted $199 for Terraforming but also sold me Alien Soldier for MD for $15 bucks.  :-k  I was back there around xmas this past year and the price list was gone.  I asked him about it and he said he didn't remember having a price guide.  I also remember asking him how much he wanted for his World Heros AES cartridge.  He said he wasn't sure but it would be "up there" in price.  They are also on ebay under the same name and I saw the listed price of that AES World Heroes game.  It was fairly cheap, $35 I believe for the US version.  Now why would he list it cheap but in the store not give me a definite price and say it's "up there"  It's kind of a shady place now.  I used to get all my import stuff from them when I lived in Columbia.  Now I look else where.  They do have good feedback on ebay though.  Just know how much stuff is really worth before going into that store.  You could get a great price or over pay.

Dyna138

So I decided to try and hunt down some Turbo/PC Engine games in the wild and went to a game store at ST Marks in NYC east village called 8-Bit and Up. Unfortunately I only saw a single stack of Turbo games in a display case which was mostly common games and a couple of imports like SF2 and what looked like Fatal Fury 2. It's about what I expected...the problem is I'm sure most store owners are aware of what certain games are worth and sell them on Ebay. The odds of walking into a game store and finding something hard to find and valuable are slim.

They did have a pretty good selection of Atari and Genesis/MS stuff if anyone is interested though.

Fultron

I am from northern Indiana and do not know of any good stores close by.  I tried the link and it wasn't working.  Does anyone know any good stores?

RR1980

yeah so the only plus side with buying retro games in one of these retro gaming store is the fact that you can have it in your possession immediately and no shipping cost but of course that's already factored into  the price already.

nat

Quote from: Fultron on 08/01/2011, 08:57 PMI tried the link and it wasn't working.
Thanks for heads up.

jlued, can you fix the link? If not, I think I'm going to de-sticky the topic.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

jlued686

Alright, Frappr is apparently no more, so I've changed the thread title and taken all the stores that people mentioned and put them into a list in the first post. Please let me know if I missed any.

chany60126

Gamerz Garage ceased to exist 3 or 4 years ago in Illinois.

jlued686

Quote from: chany60126 on 08/02/2011, 11:25 AMGamerz Garage ceased to exist 3 or 4 years ago in Illinois.
Removed.

Fultron

takashirose

Quote from: Dyna138 on 06/10/2011, 12:24 AMSo I decided to try and hunt down some Turbo/PC Engine games in the wild and went to a game store at ST Marks in NYC east village called 8-Bit and Up. Unfortunately I only saw a single stack of Turbo games in a display case which was mostly common games and a couple of imports like SF2 and what looked like Fatal Fury 2. It's about what I expected...the problem is I'm sure most store owners are aware of what certain games are worth and sell them on Ebay. The odds of walking into a game store and finding something hard to find and valuable are slim."

They did have a pretty good selection of Atari and Genesis/MS stuff if anyone is interested though.
Dyna138 have you checked out Video Games New York in the East Village on E 6th St?  It is a far better store than 8bits and up.  I always buy at Video Games New York.

I only bought something once at 8Bit and Up.  They put the crappiest condition copy into the crappiest box for me when I told them to put it in the better box.  All their games are stashed in a huge plastic container.  You don't even know what the condition of the cartridge is until you are paying for it.  And the people who worked there had an attitude. 

The TurboGrafx games that 8bit and up had were in a horrible state as if they just got it off the street after dropping it a couple times.  Video Games New York is much more preferred.  And in Chinatown there is J&L Game Trading, where I buy some of my modern games.  Take care!
Let the old mix with the new.

Dyna138

Quote from: takashirose on 08/27/2011, 01:24 PMDyna138 have you checked out Video Games New York in the East Village on E 6th St?  It is a far better store than 8bits and up.  I always buy at Video Games New York.

I only bought something once at 8Bit and Up.  They put the crappiest condition copy into the crappiest box for me when I told them to put it in the better box.  All their games are stashed in a huge plastic container.  You don't even know what the condition of the cartridge is until you are paying for it.  And the people who worked there had an attitude. 

The TurboGrafx games that 8bit and up had were in a horrible state as if they just got it off the street after dropping it a couple times.  Video Games New York is much more preferred.  And in Chinatown there is J&L Game Trading, where I buy some of my modern games.  Take care!
I've known about Video Games New York but haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet. Thanks for the heads up though I'm definitely gonna take a trip there when I get some time. I haven't been to J&L in years and years, I couldn't even remember if they carried TG16/PC Engine games. I remember getting my Gamecube modded there back in the day.

Yeah I was disappointed with 8bit and up. It was cool to see some stuff they had, but selection wasn't so great. It's not cool what they did to you either so I guess its buyer beware. The best part about going to 8bit and up was the $2.50 pizza deal across the street.  :lol:

farankoshan

Quote from: Dyna138 on 06/10/2011, 12:24 AMSo I decided to try and hunt down some Turbo/PC Engine games in the wild and went to a game store at ST Marks in NYC east village called 8-Bit and Up. Unfortunately I only saw a single stack of Turbo games in a display case which was mostly common games and a couple of imports like SF2 and what looked like Fatal Fury 2. It's about what I expected...the problem is I'm sure most store owners are aware of what certain games are worth and sell them on Ebay. The odds of walking into a game store and finding something hard to find and valuable are slim.

I agree & can vouch. 8bit and Up is a good new store to provide some refreshing competition to the (at times) "rapist pricing" of Videogames New York. Like every retro game hunter knows, it's not so much in finding the games, but in finding the games at the best deals.

Learn to walk away from a bad deal. I guarantee that if you learn that skill, the joys of your hobby will be more bountiful and long-lasting. :)
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

takashirose

J&L doesn't have many PC Engine games.  And the one that they have are not worth buying.  They are all faded, but it's a  nice store for more recent games.  I would go to Video Game New York over 8 Bit and Up any day.  I know Video Games New York doesn't have the best prices, but there are some gems to be found there in between all the crap.  And the employees are much nicer.

I found a sealed Cosmic Fantasy 2 for the Turbo CD at Video Games New York, but they don't restock those kind of things.  It was about the same price as online outlets.  There is not much of a market for Turbo Maniacs like ourselves.  Oh, well.
Let the old mix with the new.

jlued686

I'm heading to Winnipeg in a few weeks. Anyone here know of any good retro stores in the area?

DragonmasterDan

I'll add a pair

Illinois:
People Play Games
Chicago, IL

Missouri:
Video Game Trader
St.Charles, MO
--DragonmasterDan

farankoshan

majors

Plug for the new, local store in Greensboro, NC

Lost Ark Video Games
2823-E Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27408
336-422-MEGA(6342)

http://lostarkvideogames.com/

Tons of 16-bit era stuffs, pinballs and arcade cabs. Not major TG/PCE but there are a few Hus and CD's along with a couple TG-16's. Open til midnight, even later on Fri/Sat, closed on Sunday.

My pic's:
http://wedoca.dyndns.biz/gallery/index.php?level=album&id=14
334-img_20110827_144145.jpg
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

farankoshan

Dyna138

So I did wind up going to Video Games New York yesterday, which happens to be only a few blocks away from 8-bit and Up. Overall their selection is way better on classic game systems but damn are they super expensive. Think I saw a loose SNES Dracula X for $80 and the lowest price for anything loose was like $20. They had a better selection of Turbo/PC Engine games but that's not saying much. Nothing rare, but again I saw a lot of loose hueys of common titles priced at $20 and up. Really only a good place to pick up titles if your an impulse buyer otherwise, for a lot of stuff, you can get complete copies on ebay (gasp) for less than what Video Games New York sells loose.

It's a shame I would of picked up some loose SNES or Genesis carts if their prices were reasonable.

farankoshan

Quote from: Dyna138 on 09/02/2011, 09:49 PMThink I saw a loose SNES Dracula X for $80...
Well, the price for that same Dracula X cart is much better than it was when I saw it back in 2008...

/92198715.jpg

:p Yup, you read it right, ladies & gents... $109.99... loose...

BlueBMW

And worse... they put their price tag on the label!   #-o
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Dyna138

Quote from: farankoshan on 09/04/2011, 02:40 PMWell, the price for that same Dracula X cart is much better than it was when I saw it back in 2008...

:p Yup, you read it right, ladies & gents... $109.99... loose...
So maybe by 2014 the price will approach something reasonable.  :lol:

The sad thing is they probably paid some kid who didn't know any better $5 for it.

SMF

I live in cleveland ohio and there still is a Its About Games store that still has a few loose Hu-Cards mostly Keith Courage, Bonks, TV Sports all the commons he has them at $5bucks a game. Thats cheap by ebay standards lol.

But any good collector that sells Turbo games thats not GameStop is looking to make a little something more then what the game is worth. If your a Mom and Pop shop that sells Rare games and Systems you cant afford to sell a rare game for $20bucks.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

jlued686

The OP should be completely updated as of today. Keep 'em coming, guys!

farankoshan

My brother just got back from Hawaii and he picked up a ColecoVision cart of Zaxxon, for just $5, and a sealed boxed copy of Joust for for the Atari 2600 for $6. He got 'em both from Toys n' Joys in Honolulu. He asked about PC Engine/Turbografx games, and they clerk said they didn't have any that week. But lots of NES/SNES/Genesis/MD/PS1/Saturn games and consoles. Even an ATARI Lynx was left there to rot. :)

GohanX

Quote from: majors on 08/31/2011, 09:35 AMPlug for the new, local store in Greensboro, NC

Lost Ark Video Games
2823-E Spring Garden Street
Greensboro, NC 27408
336-422-MEGA(6342)

http://lostarkvideogames.com/

Tons of 16-bit era stuffs, pinballs and arcade cabs. Not major TG/PCE but there are a few Hus and CD's along with a couple TG-16's. Open til midnight, even later on Fri/Sat, closed on Sunday.
Holy crap, I'm right next door in Burlington! Thank you!

roflmao

Quote from: farankoshan on 09/09/2011, 07:59 PMMy brother just got back from Hawaii and he picked up a ColecoVision cart of Zaxxon, for just $5, and a sealed boxed copy of Joust for for the Atari 2600 for $6. He got 'em both from Toys n' Joys in Honolulu. He asked about PC Engine/Turbografx games, and they clerk said they didn't have any that week. But lots of NES/SNES/Genesis/MD/PS1/Saturn games and consoles. Even an ATARI Lynx was left there to rot. :)
WOW.

I lived in Hawaii a loooong time ago and used to know the folks that owned Toys n' Joys (went to High School with their son).  Holy crap your post brought back a wave of memories.  I bought a Turbografx-16 from them when it was released.  ... and a Turbo Booster+... and a CD attachment... and an Express...  and a ton of games.  They were my go-to source for Turbo goodness back in the early 90s.  I could ride my bike there.  Awesome to know they're still around.  I wonder if my high school buddy is now running it (he's probably 36-37 these days).

majors

Quote from: JKM on 09/09/2011, 08:49 PMHoly crap, I'm right next door in Burlington! Thank you!
Well here is the meger TG/PCE offerings at Lost Ark. They also have a Browning and Lodoss War not pictured.
336-img_20110903_213135.jpg
337-img_20110903_212728.jpg
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

jlued686

I'm heading to Winnipeg next week. Anybody know of a decent game shop in the area?

farankoshan

Quote from: majors on 09/12/2011, 11:07 AM
Quote from: JKM on 09/09/2011, 08:49 PMHoly crap, I'm right next door in Burlington! Thank you!
Well here is the meger TG/PCE offerings at Lost Ark. They also have a Browning and Lodoss War not pictured.
Very cool. :)

munchiaz

Any places in Arizona that sell turbo grafx games ??

GohanX

Quote from: majors on 09/12/2011, 11:07 AMWell here is the meger TG/PCE offerings at Lost Ark. They also have a Browning and Lodoss War not pictured.
Heh, I saw. I've actually been in there twice now, grabbed a NES toploader and a bunch of games on one of the trips. One of these days I'll have time to put a few quarters into the Afterburner machine.

andrew23

Does anyone know of any stores up here in Quebec? I've tried searching, to no avail...  :|
Why do I need to sign here? ;P

farankoshan

Quote from: andrew23 on 09/22/2011, 04:53 PMDoes anyone know of any stores up here in Quebec? I've tried searching, to no avail...  :|
Keep trying. :) Many of the best PCE collections belong to very lucky frenchmen... so one way or another, you're more likely to run into someone who may have a lead (or know someone with a lead).:)

andrew23

I guess you're right, but I'm running out of stores/ flea markets to check. Let's hope I find someone who knows a place.  :-k
Why do I need to sign here? ;P

djolof

Went to Game Zone in Salem, MA today. They had a small collection of games, and quite a bit of hardware. Everything was crazy expensive, for example $20 for Vigilante and $250 for a turbo express. However, it was still nice to see a place with some games- it's not that often I come across anything locally.

djolof

Oh, I should also mention/ you should add That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA. I go there whenever I am in the area. They usually have a dozen or so games, including a lot of Japanese imports- prices are much more reasonable than I usually see elsewhere.

www.thatse.com

jlued686

Quote from: djolof on 10/02/2011, 07:11 PMOh, I should also mention/ you should add That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA. I go there whenever I am in the area. They usually have a dozen or so games, including a lot of Japanese imports- prices are much more reasonable than I usually see elsewhere.

www.thatse.com
Done

A_Locomotive

Here is one you can add to your list. http://www.lunavideogames.com/ These guys have 2 stores in my city they usually have a selection of TurboGrafx and on occasion Duo games. They are a great store. When I first found my TG16 it had no controller, RF or power supply and not knowing at the time that generics of either would work I took it down to see if they would let me use some of their TG16 cables to test it. They did and let me play R-type for a while. :)

munchiaz

you can add these to the list for Arizona. Fallout Games. two locations.  They dont always have tg-16 or pce games, but they do get them in on occasion
4139 W. Bell Rd. #12
Phoeniz, AZ 85053

1807 E. Southern
Tempe, AZ 85282

roflmao

Quote from: A_Locomotive on 10/29/2011, 12:51 AMHere is one you can add to your list. http://www.lunavideogames.com/ These guys have 2 stores in my city they usually have a selection of TurboGrafx and on occasion Duo games. They are a great store. When I first found my TG16 it had no controller, RF or power supply and not knowing at the time that generics of either would work I took it down to see if they would let me use some of their TG16 cables to test it. They did and let me play R-type for a while. :)
Last time I was in San Diego (this past July) I stopped by both of those shops to see what kind of TG goodness they had.  Both stores were selling the console (for $70, which isn't horrible, but it was more than I was willing to pay) and one had an Express, which they wanted $200 for (which I thought was pretty steep).  Both stores also had maybe a dozen common HuCards, and I think they wanted between $10-20 ea.  I didn't get any Turbob goodness from them, but did pick up a handful of Genesis carts for $3 ea.  Good bunch of guys - they know their retro.