Gaming on the GT vs gaming on a home system- what are the best games?

Started by soop, 04/15/2011, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

soop

For a long long time, I the GT was my only system, and while I had a few games, some were hard to play on the GT.  The main disadvantages are:
Around 4 hours max battery life
No feasable 2 player
Small screen

Therefore the games I choose to take out with me are limited to the carts I think can withstand quick busts of gameplay, or that have a password system.
I have with me at the moment:
The Newzealand Story
PC Denjin
Shinobi
Puzznic (actually, that's a lie, but I will have to pack it when I get home)

Can you recommend any other games that would be especially good for portable play? Password systems are a great look, but I think we can safely say that nearly all shootemups are a good choice, so we can neglect to mention those.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Tatsujin

Adventure Island (aka dragons curse).

great to play, PW feat., one of the best hueys ever.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Nazi NecroPhile

Falling block puzzlers like Columns, Hatris, and Spin Pair are great on the go.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

grahf


soop

Quote from: grahf on 04/15/2011, 11:21 AMAnything without text!
Lol :D

Adventure Island is a particularly good shout.  It's on my list as well.
Jackie Chan would be good too if the levels weren't so astonishingly long
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Obfuscate


soop

Quote from: Obfuscate on 04/15/2011, 12:14 PMI like Cadash and World Class Baseball on my express.
Cadash looks interesting.  And Legendary Axe II was on my list - are they very similar?
Also, I'm not a massive fan of sports games generally.  What's WC Baseball like to play?  Would I need to know any Japanese for management etc?

also, bought Adventure Island for £8, lucky Tatsujin mentioned it then or I'd have missed it!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

hoobs88

Cadash and Legendary Axe II are similar since they are both action platforms. Cadash allows you to play as one of four different character types while LA2 has only one character to use. You can team up with a second player in Cadash while LA2 is single player only. Most of the stages in LA2 are linear with the exception of the final stage. Cadash allows you to explore different areas (although you do have to go through each area in order to get to the next one).
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

SignOfZeta

IMG

OldMan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/15/2011, 01:09 PMDevil's Crush is THE game for the Express.
Absolutely. Alien Crush and Timeball are in the top five, as well.

soop

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 04/15/2011, 01:09 PMDevil's Crush is THE game for the Express.
Solid!  Well said!

Thanks to Hoobs for the explanation too!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

VestCunt

Legend of Hero Tonma
New Adventure Island
Racing games (Power Drift has really big sprites, also Outrun, and Chase HQ)
The old-school shooters Galaga and Super Space Invaders are fun.

I made a list of the few multi-player games here (not that you're going to find anybody to play with):  
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3749.msg56645#msg56645

Quote from: soop on 04/15/2011, 12:26 PMWhat's WC Baseball like to play?  Would I need to know any Japanese for management etc?
I don't have Power League 1, but I have PL4 and PL93.  PL4 is almost entirely English, PL93 isn't.


I'm a cunt, always was. Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

yeah all the pseudo scalers are looking awesome on the little GT screen. much smoother than on the big tele, almost arcade speed.

my favs:

after burner
outrun
space harrier
victory run

get 'em while they're still hot!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

soop

^Awesome thread, never knew that about GT/TE multiplayer
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

SuperPlay

I remember seeing SFII on a GT when it came out and I was blown away at the time ........ SFII in you pocket, Never I said ;-)

Not sure about the screen size though

soop

That was the first game I bought :)  It's still amazing, but limited by the 2 buttons mor than anything.

I've just realised, I think the GT was my first console.

Scratch that, I had a Gameboy.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Tatsujin

yeah, SFII' looks awesome on the GT. always brought it to the guard when I still was in the militray service back in '98. once the captain came in and i paused it quickly and hidded it under my cap on the table, but he saw me doing this, and asked me whats under the cap? so I honestly responsed to him: "a street fighter II dash." then he was a bit like WTF?! and said: "don't kidding me, kid". then I took the cap off the GT and he saw the miniature street fighter II on the table lying. then he was really like WTHF!?!?! HAHAHA.

from the on, he always came down to play some rounds of street fighter II dash miniature :lol:

btw: it's sad the GT didn't had like 6 buttons :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

roflmao

The Crush Pinball games are a must, as others have mentioned.  I also really enjoyed playing Final Lap Twin on the Express.