Picked up a PC Engine Core Grafx

Started by Paul, 08/10/2011, 01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Wow it has been a long time since I was on this site... anyways I picked up a core PC Engine core grafx system (black version with blue lettering), also on ebay picked up genesis 1 power adapter & genesis a/v cables (I was informed on another forum that these would work with the newer versions of the PC Engine). Controller wise I added a in mint condition Blaster Joypad. For games I am looking at Tiger Road and SF 2 to start.

Basically just want an overall opinion on the PC engine, what games should I look into, what accessories should I pick up? Not going the Duo direction or anything like that, sticking with the PC Engine for the time being.

Thanks a lot and it's great to be back

thesteve

the best games on the system are on CD.
that said there are plenty of great games on card.
blazing lasers and dead moon are great shmups (there are plenty more)
there are some good RPG games, however the native PCE ones tend to have lots of txt in Japanese, so a region mod may be in order to allow you to play US releases as well.
there are several platformer and a few fighting games as well.

SignOfZeta

When it comes to HuCard I'd recommend Bomberman '94, Hanataakadaka!?, all the Solider games, Aero Blasters, and, of course, Kato and Ken.

While the most impressive games are on CD, there are a lot of great HuCards.
IMG

majors

Get the pins, Alien and Devil! Parodius and Ninja Spirit are two more Hu picks.

Bonk, Legendary Axe, Bloody Wolf, Dragon Sprirt/Saber, Parasol Stars should be easy-cheap to pick up also. I also 2nd any of the Soldier series and Blazing Lasers plus for you, it will have the cooler "Gunhed" title screen :)
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Trevpwnsnoobs

(20:45:58) Tatsujin: WARNING! WARNING! A HUGE OBEYANCE "PC ENGINE" IS APPROACHING FAST!

NecroPhile

You can't go wrong with Son Son II or Dracula X Special.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

What are you into? Shooters? Platformers? Puzzlers?

PunkCryborg

whats up! Nice PCE score. Playing on the basic core grafx is pure minimalist PCE bliss. Have fun and give them Hu cards lots of love cause there's tons of great games.
For Hu cards I like the following
Valkyrie de Densetsu - overhead actionplatformer
Detana Twin Bee
The Lost Sunheart
Parasol Stars
Final Soldier
Bomberman
Gunhed

just do a little research at these pages to findmore games you might be interested in

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/

csgx1

A few PCE hucards that I recommend that haven't been mentioned yet:
Splatterhouse
Download
Salamander
Street Fighter II' (6button controller recommended)
Super Dodgeball (Nekketsu Kōkō Dodgeball Bu: PC Bangai Hen)
PC Denjin (Air Zonk)

Lastly, I recommend eventually getting a CDrom2 or Super CDrom2 system add on.  There are so many great CD games for the PCE/TG16CD as well.

JoshTurboTrollX

Shockman / Shubibinman 2.  Just get it, then you throw everything else away as it is by far the greatest.

It's got storyline, shooter them up levels, platforming.

It's got everything.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bernie

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2011, 09:42 AMYou can't go wrong with Son Son II or Dracula X Special.
Dracula X Special??

Paul

I had like a 4 hour conversation with RR last night.. so really got some insight into the system. Everything is being shipped, should have it all the next 2-3 weeks. I know you guys will rag on me but I am strictly sticking to the HuCards right now

BEERS AND VIDEOS

Quote from: Paul on 08/10/2011, 04:43 PMI had like a 4 hour conversation with RR last night.. so really got some insight into the system. Everything is being shipped, should have it all the next 2-3 weeks. I know you guys will rag on me but I am strictly sticking to the HuCards right now
Nothing wrong with HuCards if you ask me. A lot of folks like to poo-poo anything not on a CD around here, but by doing that they are missing out on some great games. I'd vote for one of the two Neutopia titles and and the Legendary Axe games.

jlued686

Yeah man, don't worry about that. There are some great HuCard games to choose from.

_Paul

Momotaro Katsugeki
Jackie Chan
PC Genjin 1 & 2 first (then 3)
PC Denjin
Atomic Robo-Kid Special
Devil Crash
Doraemon (the first one)
Bloody Wolf
After Burner II
Space Harrier
Coryoon

and so many more...

CrackTiger

Dungeon Explorer
Bloody Wolf
Aeroblasters
Adventure Island
Ninja Spirit
Bomberman '93 and/or '94
PC Denjin
PC Genjin 2
Son Son II
Download
Parodius
BeBall
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Paul

I have a list of games out that I am going to pick up. Just waiting on the system and accessories, also will buy a 2 pad controller.

Shockman looks like an awesome game, is reasonably priced on Ebay & reminds me of Mega Man.

If anyone has a 2 Button, and a 6 Button control for sale please PM me