Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood [PC Engine CD] Patch RELEASE!!!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 11/09/2011, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FraGMarE

Quote from: Sadler on 01/07/2012, 06:14 PMOh hell yes! Thank you guys so much!! Yesterday I got the patch running on my Duo and today I attempted to make a reproduction. I used fragmare's images, with Kinko's printing the rear insert and inlay and a lightscribe drive labeling the CD. I'm a little disappointed with the lightscribe, but it came out pretty good. The jewel case looks more convincing than the pictures indicate. One of these days I'll learn how to take decent photos)...

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it!  :dance:
How do they look close-up when printed?  I haven't gotten a chance to try printing them yet.  I tried to make them hi-res enough (600 dpi) to where there would be little to no pixelation when printed in their standard sizes.

Oh, and someone mentioned, one time, that if you lightscribe the same disc a few consecutive times it comes out darker.  Not sure if that's true or not, but it could be worth a try.

Keith Courage

Yes, you can run it more than once to make it darker. However, sometimes it comes out a bit blurry the 2nd time around. Also, make sure that if you do plan on running it through a 2nd time that you should not remove the cd from the drive. If you do this it throws off the alignment and then things get really messed up.

TheClash603

Wow, that looks really cool.  I have never burned a CD game in my life and don't really know what I'm doing...  or else I'd hop on making one of these myself.

Sadler

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/07/2012, 08:20 PMLight scribe comes out better if you set it to make it darker but with longer write speed. The setting is in the options of the light scribe control found on the task bar in windows.
Thanks man, just found the setting. I'll try burning another one and see how much of an impact it has.

Quote from: fragmareHow do they look close-up when printed?  I haven't gotten a chance to try printing them yet.  I tried to make them hi-res enough (600 dpi) to where there would be little to no pixelation when printed in their standard sizes.

Oh, and someone mentioned, one time, that if you lightscribe the same disc a few consecutive times it comes out darker.  Not sure if that's true or not, but it could be worth a try.
They look damn nice. I probably don't have the most discerning eye, but I don't see any obvious pixelation. I think you did a fantastic job!

Side question: I swear I've seen similar packaging for Ys IV somewhere, including a translated manual. I can't seem to find it now, does anyone have a link?

Sadler

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/07/2012, 08:11 PMWow, that looks great!
I also plan on making one of these as soon as the English manual is ready.
Thanks! It's so awesome playing this! I'm looking forward to the translated manual, keep us posted! :)

Burnt Lasagna

What kind of printer did you use to print the packaging / what paper did you use?
This would be nice to know for anyone else who plans on making there own box.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Bernie

They look excellent printed up.  For my set-up, I used glossy Kodak photo paper, with a Canon Pixma MP499 printer.

Sadler

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/08/2012, 03:35 PMWhat kind of printer did you use to print the packaging / what paper did you use?
This would be nice to know for anyone else who plans on making there own box.
You know, I don't know. I went to Kinkos, said I wanted to print a rear insert and front cover for a CD jewel case, and gave them the files on a thumb drive. The guy never asked me what kind of paper I wanted. The paper was the same for both the rear insert and the "manual", but I'm not sure that's the best way to go. The paper is fairly thick, so when I folded the manual in half, an obvious white strip formed along the seam. Fortunately this isn't really visible with it in the case, but for the manual I'd probably go with something more, uh, foldable.

I guess it's probably obvious now that I don't know anything about paper. :D

spenoza

You could get away with thinner paper, probably, though you don't want to go too thin, I imagine.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Sadler on 01/08/2012, 04:02 PMYou know, I don't know. I went to Kinkos, said I wanted to print a rear insert and front cover for a CD jewel case, and gave them the files on a thumb drive.
I've never heard of Kinkos into just now, From the looks of it it seems to be part of FedEx.
Does a regular FedEx office do this, or any other post offices for that matter?

Sadler

OK, spent some time playing with lightscribe today following the advice in this thread. Using the dark setting and burning the label 4x gives a pretty good result! I was careful not to move the CD between label burnings and the result isn't blurry at all. The contrast is pretty decent!

i41.tinypic.com/2njf2hi.jpg

Bernie

That looks excellent Sadler.  And all one has to do is basically "restart" the lightscribe process, without touching the disc?  I dont want to mess it up.  I have some discs coming, and I plan on doing this.

roflmao

Dang, that looks great.  I ought to replace my computer's CD drive with one capable of lightscribing.  That looks WAY better than sharpie scribbles!

Sadler

Quote from: bernielindell on 01/09/2012, 05:37 AMThat looks excellent Sadler.  And all one has to do is basically "restart" the lightscribe process, without touching the disc?  I dont want to mess it up.  I have some discs coming, and I plan on doing this.
Thanks! Yeah, that's exactly right, just don't touch the disc between lightscribings. The software I'm using automatically ejects after every time it prints the label, so I just had to be gentle when closing the drive.

Sadler

Quote from: guest on 01/09/2012, 08:13 AMDang, that looks great.  I ought to replace my computer's CD drive with one capable of lightscribing.  That looks WAY better than sharpie scribbles!
:D It does look better that sharpie labels for sure, but I fear the picture might be a little misleading. It's pretty good, but you can definitely see radial artifacts from the light scribing. Definitely good enough for me, but still not as good as having a label printed directly on the CD.

Burnt Lasagna

*update*
We just got some help with inserting an English title screen into Rondo of Blood and that tomaitheous!
Here is a quick example of what he's got cooking.

IMG

You can follow the conversion about this on romhacking.net.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=13549.0

MotherGunner

Hey Burnt, do you have pics of the other inserts/manual you can share?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: MotherGunner on 01/11/2012, 02:31 PMHey Burnt, do you have pics of the other inserts/manual you can share?
I'm not really sure if it's okay with pemdawg if I can share those yet (the guy doing the manual translation and the new packaging).
I'll ask him about it though.

ParanoiaDragon

That's a bummer about losing the slashing of the X, ah well, I'll live.
IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/11/2012, 02:52 PMThat's a bummer about losing the slashing of the X, ah well, I'll live.
I'm thinking were gonna have a separate patch on the website that just swaps back the original title screen.
Since there seems to be a pretty even split between people that would like it changed and people that want the same.

Burnt Lasagna

*update*
More progress from tomaitheous.

IMG

munchiaz

any of u guys plan on selling one of these with the game manual and tray art? That would be really cool

Burnt Lasagna

*update*
tomaitheous is now done with the title screen!
Here is an update post I made on romhacking.net
QuoteAwesome work tomaitheous!
One thing I noticed though is that the copyright information is now pink (was originally red). Not really an issue but odd none the less.

I'm thinking about replacing the ADPCM for the Slash with the sound of a church bell ringing (like the title screen to Clock Tower: First Fear).
I've also (finally) decided to look at the file structure for Castlevania The Dracula X Chronicles and found out that all the ADPCM clips (with a few exceptions) are just laying there in AT3 format! Now I can use a direct rip from the PSP dub instead of having to use the audio from YouTube videos!

I've also found the ADPCM clips for the character select screen in the PC-Engine version. Sadly when I said there were a few exceptions to the AT3 files, this was one of them (the other thing being the dialogue for Death but that's not really an issue). I was able to record the dialogue though by silencing the Redbook AT3 file for Kyrie Eleison (the menu music) then recording the voices from there without the music deluding anything.

So the next release of the patch, aside from everything tomaitheous has been doing, will also have better audio quality and have the character select screen dubbed.

reyvgm: I can't seem too located where the signpost graphics are. If anyone else wants' to hunt these down then by all means, be my guest.
I'll try and get a screen shot for you of both signposts. I believe the translation the PSP version had for the first signpost in stage1 was "ALJIBA" not sure on the second sign though.
for better context follow the thread on romhacking.net
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,13549.0.html

Sadler

That's awesome! :D Can't wait for the next release of the patch! How's the manual translation coming? I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I'd be willing to pay for having some CD professionally pressed once the patch and all associated packaging are complete.

Chuplayer

Quote from: Sadler on 01/13/2012, 03:30 PMThat's awesome! :D Can't wait for the next release of the patch! How's the manual translation coming? I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I'd be willing to pay for having some CD professionally pressed once the patch and all associated packaging are complete.
I know how I feel about this, and I feel good about it.

Muff1n

hi im new here, found this translations wich seems incredible, only prob is. cant patch.. doesnt work.

i have a .img .bin and i have also ripped from a .img file successfully with turboripper, then tried to patch it.. didnt work.. says its damaged.

also checked .iso and .wav files from turboripp and it says there is nothing wrong with the files.

if someone can help me i would really appreciate it, been waiting for this, i hope i dont have to order the original rare cd from ebay if its there, just to get a clean copy.. wich i have according to tocfixer =\

what todo ?

cubanraul

@muff1n
  Have you tried a CDRWIN rip with the BIN/CUE patch?  As long as the ISO and WAV files are in the same folder as the batch file the patcher should find them.  If the file sizes are not perfect you will also see the damaged message.

@Burnt Lasagna
  Amazing to read about the new intro font!  Want me to insert the PSP text or has the work already started?  I can plop the ASCII text directly into the old patcher and it would work.  Using the charcode program I wrote should make it a really easy to drop it right in and keep the layout right.

Keith Courage

I had the same problem before. The best way to rip this is with turborip.exe and then use the ISO/WAV patch. Here is the newest version available. Use the program 7-Zip to extract. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MF02JEL0

Bernie

Or, just download this if you are having issues.  Its the game image, pre-patched.  Also included is all the artwork that you see here in this thread.  [link removed]  This is my personal Megaupload account.  Nice to have for stuff like this.

Sorry peeps.  I wasnt aware we could not have links to full games.  Oversight on my part.  If someone wants the game, pre-patched, just get with me via PM.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: cubanraul on 01/13/2012, 06:54 PMAmazing to read about the new intro font!  Want me to insert the PSP text or has the work already started?  I can plop the ASCII text directly into the old patcher and it would work.  Using the charcode program I wrote should make it a really easy to drop it right in and keep the layout right.
I was right about to send you an email about this.
I believe tomaitheous is all ready working on inserting the PSP text though.

TurboXray

Quote from: cubanraul on 01/13/2012, 06:54 PMAmazing to read about the new intro font!  Want me to insert the PSP text or has the work already started?  I can plop the ASCII text directly into the old patcher and it would work.  Using the charcode program I wrote should make it a really easy to drop it right in and keep the layout right.
I didn't insert any PSP text yet, but did convert all the existing translated SJIS chars into ascii to test everything out. If you have windows xp compatible setup, I can send you over the project files if you want (batch files, source, exe, etc). But I had a feeling that all that PSP text probably still won't fit (although you probably know about how much free space there is). If need be, I can add a redirect token control code system for longer text strings (points to other places in cdram, but the original parsing routine won't know it's happening - it's inside the hook handler). Email is tomaitheous_at_pcedev_dot_net.

-Tom

Muff1n

Thnx bernielindell! , well as i said i have .img and .bin and also the Ripped .iso and .wav files wich i got from using turboripper (with no error messages) and i also checked the files with tocfixer 1.00 and also in that program it was flawless. still i get error using iso/wav patcher, saying the game rip is damaged. =\

dairugger

i also got a error when i patched mine, but it plays fine. the title intro sound is a bit scratchy but it doesnt bother me. Try ignoring the error message and mount and play the game.

Chuplayer

Quote from: dairugger on 01/14/2012, 03:27 AMi also got a error when i patched mine, but it plays fine. the title intro sound is a bit scratchy but it doesnt bother me. Try ignoring the error message and mount and play the game.
Same thing happened to me. I was using the BIN/CUE version.

I've found that the sound gets scratchy in other parts as well. I'm not very familiar with the game, but it sounds like the newly-added PSP audio is the only thing that gets scratchy.

Bernie

If you are getting errors when patching, something is wrong somewhere.  I got no errors, and my patched game plays with no issues at all.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Sadler on 01/13/2012, 03:30 PMThat's awesome! :D Can't wait for the next release of the patch! How's the manual translation coming? I'm not sure how you feel about this, but I'd be willing to pay for having some CD professionally pressed once the patch and all associated packaging are complete.
From what I can tell the manual should be coming along nicely.

As for selling pressed disks I'm against doing that for various reasons. The most obvious being that it would be illegal, also getting people on eBay claiming they have an official American release of the game and selling it for a stupidly inflated price for something originally intended to be free on the internet. Also making a quality burn of the disk on your own would be just as good as a pressed copy (using verbatim brand CDR's and burning at 1x speed with a quality burner).

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Chuplayer on 01/14/2012, 10:56 AM
Quote from: dairugger on 01/14/2012, 03:27 AMi also got a error when i patched mine, but it plays fine. the title intro sound is a bit scratchy but it doesnt bother me. Try ignoring the error message and mount and play the game.
Same thing happened to me. I was using the BIN/CUE version.

I've found that the sound gets scratchy in other parts as well. I'm not very familiar with the game, but it sounds like the newly-added PSP audio is the only thing that gets scratchy.
This happens when you make bad rip of the game into BIN/CUE.
I recommend using the ISO-WAV patcher and ripping using Turbo Rip since you can grantee a perfect rip that way.

I have instructions in the readme for making a perfect rip for the BIN/CUE but as I said it's somewhat problematic.

Muff1n

Sadler

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/14/2012, 11:18 AM
From what I can tell the manual should be coming along nicely.

As for selling pressed disks I'm against doing that for various reasons. The most obvious being that it would be illegal, also getting people on eBay claiming they have an official American release of the game and selling it for a stupidly inflated price for something originally intended to be free on the internet. Also making a quality burn of the disk on your own would be just as good as a pressed copy (using verbatim brand CDR's and burning at 1x speed with a quality burner).
Understood. I share several of you concerns which is why I asked first. I won't pursue it. Thanks again for all your hard work! :D

cubanraul

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/13/2012, 11:46 PMIf need be, I can add a redirect token control code system for longer text strings (points to other places in cdram, but the original parsing routine won't know it's happening - it's inside the hook handler). Email is tomaitheous_at_pcedev_dot_net.
Sent you an e-mail.  Great to see all the unfinished elements coming together.

MotherGunner

You could always try ripping with Turbo Engine's rip functionality.

On a side note, while I agree that maybe pressing them is mostly likely out.  How about selling professionally produced manuals and back inserts using high quality paper?  Btw what quality are Lightscribes?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

spenoza

An additional reason not to sell any version of Dracula X is that between the versions available on the VC and the PSP, it's clear this title is still a money-maker for Konami. It wouldn't be good to cut in on that.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 01/14/2012, 02:54 PMAn additional reason not to sell any version of Dracula X is that between the versions available on the VC and the PSP, it's clear this title is still a money-maker for Konami. It wouldn't be good to cut in on that.
Good point, but when I said it was illegal I was leaning more towards the fact that it's highly illegal to sell modified versions of games, even more so than just selling bootleg copies.

Mishran

If not selling for profit, but at cost to produce a pressed cd with book and insert, it isn't really cutting considerably into Konami's profits. Most of the people on here that would purchase a localized copy probably already has the actual PCE game.

Bernie

Quote from: Mishran on 01/14/2012, 06:03 PMIf not selling for profit, but at cost to produce a pressed cd with book and insert, it isn't really cutting considerably into Konami's profits. Most of the people on here that would purchase a localized copy probably already has the actual PCE game.
You know....this is actually worth some thought.  I mean, I for one would LOVE to have a pressed version.  We aren't talking about a recent console here, but rather a 20 year old one.  However, I have NO clue what it would cost, and how many we would have to get done to even have a company consider the order.  I would however be willing to take control of a project if there is interest.  I could get with Rover or Arkhan about what company to use.

TurboXray

My opinion (for whatever it's worth):

The fact that there's a VC release and a PSP release of this game, I'm sure Konami wouldn't take too kindly of this game been pressed and sold. While they *might* look the other way (lets hope and assume they already are if they already know about this project), it would be a really bad idea to produce unauthorized copies even if the target console *is* 20+ years old. As it is, the translation community sits in a rather strange place in regards to both legality of copyright material and companies not really taking action against them (the translation community). At any point, Konami could send any one of us a C&D order even without producing or intent to produce pressed CDs.

I have no idea if they'd really care about a translated "PC-Engine" manual, since it only serves the purpose for people that have a PCECD game. And I don't particularly have an opinion on it since none of my work in this project relates to that.

And not that there's anything I could do about it or anyone even caring about it (if you don't care about Konami's interests, I doubt you care about the littler people like myself in this project), but I definitely wouldn't authorize any of my work in this project to be used in any unauthorized pressing of this game.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: bernielindell on 01/14/2012, 07:01 PMI would however be willing to take control of a project if there is interest.  I could get with Rover or Arkhan about what company to use.
Again, If I find someone selling pressed disks of this patch I will track that person down and shove a bat so fare up there butt that they will become a human popsicle. 

I hope this has solidified my feelings on the matter of selling pressed disks of this project.

FraGMarE

Why in the HELL would anybody PAY for this anyway?  Just download the finished patch, burn/lightscribe it to disc the right way and print out the manual/traycard with the options cranked way up.  If you don't have lightscribe, go out and get some printable CD labels.  Even my old ass Lexmark Z23 inkjet can print at 1200 dpi and make things look great on the right kind of paper.

Mishran

I can purchase CDs with a special kind of label surface that my inkjet printer can print directly onto. Just snap the disc into a special made tray and slide it into the printer. Never tried it as the discs are nearly impossible to find anymore it would seem. Im sure it would look not too much different from a pro made cd label.

Bernie

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/14/2012, 10:13 PM
Quote from: bernielindell on 01/14/2012, 07:01 PMI would however be willing to take control of a project if there is interest.  I could get with Rover or Arkhan about what company to use.
Again, If I find someone selling pressed disks of this patch I will track that person down and shove a bat so fare up there butt that they will become a human popsicle. 

I hope this has solidified my feelings on the matter of selling pressed disks of this project.
Totally not needed dude.  And for the record, I was NOT talking about selling them, but rather going in with others that actually wanted a pressed disc.  Hell, I would have most likely given them away for that matter.  This has gotten blown WAY out of proportion.