RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... BT passed away early 2023 from health problems. He was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Avenue 6 button pad

Started by soop, 02/16/2012, 07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

soop

Hmm.. whenever I get really into a session of Street Fighter II, I end up sailing through up until Sagat, when my thumb starts to hurt from the ridges on the D-pad.  And I think last time I didn't continue until sagat (5 times) and then M-bison (maybe 20!?)

But the ridges on this pad aren't nice.  Anyone agree?
I have 3 or so of them, so I'm not sure whether to mod one with a regular D-pad or maybe get a fighting commander?

*edit* holy jesus, a Fighting Commander is £27 from Hit Japan.  That's straight out.  Maybe I'll file down those ridges...
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Tatsujin

lol.. yeah the FC PC is gold for SFII'. Only problem, the rapid switch for button V is to close to the d-pad and gets in your way when practicing hadoukens and shouyuukens.

£27 is massive indeed. aren't there other sources to get one?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

RegalSin

I just use the regular D-pad and switch with the mid-buttons. I understand the usage of the pads but the PCE is a two button system, and it is a grace to have the
ability to switch buttons. Think of it like playing the gameboy street figther II.
IMGIMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: RegalSin on 02/16/2012, 09:17 AMI just use the regular D-pad and switch with the mid-buttons. I understand the usage of the pads but the PCE is a two button system, and it is a grace to have the
ability to switch buttons. Think of it like playing the gameboy street figther II.
You....

made....

sense.............!

OHMYGODWHATISHAPPENING.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nazi NecroPhile

Quote from: soop on 02/16/2012, 07:50 AMBut the ridges on this pad aren't nice.  Anyone agree?
Definitely; the d-pad makes my thumb sore.

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/16/2012, 09:26 AMYou....

made....

sense.............!
Advising peeps to play SF2 with a two button pad is sensible?!?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

soop

Mind you...  I've just seen what I paid for the Avenue pads, and it's not far off.  I could possibly sell off one or two to fund a Fighting Commander.  Anybody else have any praise for the Hori?
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/16/2012, 09:42 AMAdvising peeps to play SF2 with a two button pad is sensible?!?
I don't agree with him, but the actual post made sense.  Like, I didn't have to read it 40 times with my head tilted sideways.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: soop on 02/16/2012, 09:46 AMMind you...  I've just seen what I paid for the Avenue pads, and it's not far off.  I could possibly sell off one or two to fund a Fighting Commander.  Anybody else have any praise for the Hori?
I've almost picked on up a couple times, but the d-pad looks a lot like the SNES/SFC d-pad which I despise...

soop

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 02/16/2012, 11:36 AM
Quote from: soop on 02/16/2012, 09:46 AMMind you...  I've just seen what I paid for the Avenue pads, and it's not far off.  I could possibly sell off one or two to fund a Fighting Commander.  Anybody else have any praise for the Hori?
I've almost picked on up a couple times, but the d-pad looks a lot like the SNES/SFC d-pad which I despise...
Hmm, I like that D-pad.  Damn you, Nintendo for patenting it!!!!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

SignOfZeta

Advice:

1) Keep playing until you wear the pad down more smooth. Also, your fingers need to be tough. I work with my hands for a living and play bass for fun, this shit has no effect on me at all.

2) Don't press so hard. This isn't an analog controller. Once you've activated the switch...thats it. All force applied beyond that is wasted.

3) Just get a stick. Pads are for children...which is fine for them. They suck at games, they can't even tell, that's OK. Everything is good. Meanwhile, I'm here trying to do re-dizzy combos and Raging Storms and such...I need a stick.
IMG

hoobs88

Quote from: soop on 02/16/2012, 09:46 AMMind you...  I've just seen what I paid for the Avenue pads, and it's not far off.  I could possibly sell off one or two to fund a Fighting Commander.  Anybody else have any praise for the Hori?
The Fighting Commander is my personal favorite of the 6 button pads and the Avenue 6 is my least favorite (that leaves the Duo-RX in the middle).
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

soop

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/16/2012, 12:48 PMAdvice:

1) Keep playing until you wear the pad down more smooth. Also, your fingers need to be tough. I work with my hands for a living and play bass for fun, this shit has no effect on me at all.

2) Don't press so hard. This isn't an analog controller. Once you've activated the switch...thats it. All force applied beyond that is wasted.

3) Just get a stick. Pads are for children...which is fine for them. They suck at games, they can't even tell, that's OK. Everything is good. Meanwhile, I'm here trying to do re-dizzy combos and Raging Storms and such...I need a stick.
I can't justify ANOTHER arcade stick just for one game.  I have 6 for various systems :/

But I definitely need to not press so hard.  My Gameboy Micro gives my fingers cramp 9____9
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Frank_fjs

I really don't like the Avenue Pad either, was rather disappointed with my purchase. Unfortunately it seems to be the easiest one to come across as well as the cheapest.

FraGMarE

Quote from: soop on 02/16/2012, 07:50 AMHmm.. whenever I get really into a session of Street Fighter II, I end up sailing through up until Sagat, when my thumb starts to hurt from the ridges on the D-pad.  And I think last time I didn't continue until sagat (5 times) and then M-bison (maybe 20!?)

But the ridges on this pad aren't nice.  Anyone agree?
I have 3 or so of them, so I'm not sure whether to mod one with a regular D-pad or maybe get a fighting commander?

*edit* holy jesus, a Fighting Commander is £27 from Hit Japan.  That's straight out.  Maybe I'll file down those ridges...
Dude, if you decide to file it down, get one of those 4-way nail buffers from the drug store.  My gf told me about those when i was looking around the house for something to buff down some plastic on some collectibles.  It'll polish the plastic until it's nice and shiny and your thumb won't be sore.  They're like 99 cents and look like an enlongated cube with varying grits of sandy-ness on each side (usually labeled with File, Smooth, Buff, Shine, etc.).  If you take a little time with it, it'll turn out perfect.