10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

I didn't know the twin tower design came in gray. Nice!

BlueBMW

Quote from: Mathius on 05/08/2012, 12:31 AMI didn't know the twin tower design came in gray. Nice!
A lot of the models came in either black or gray.  That model is the very first original 68000 released in 87.  I believe it only came in gray.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

kakutolives

[-X Blue you need to stop making me want an X68000 :( I cant keep breaking bank. lol

/5voxe1.jpg

long story short, not quite directly my buy but I was told I could keep it. :D
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

BlueBMW

Gate of Thunder should tide you over for a good while :wink:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

kakutolives

Yea I already tried it for a bit. The game is real fun. The 2 other bonk games in the 3 in 1 disc are good too
Good Sellers (in my experience)
Samurai Ghost, Keith Courage, Bernie, tggodfrey, bartre (hoping to add more to this list soon)

People who are just plain Awesome:
BlueBMW (to this day i thank you for hooking me up with Sapphire and getting me started with collecting PCE games)

TR0N

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/07/2012, 09:54 AM
Quote from: TR0N on 05/05/2012, 05:53 AMCMVS can look sexy to  :wink:
http://www.analogueinteractive.com
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?157903
Beside aes is for flithy rich boys  :P
That consolized stuff is contrary to how I am wired so it is a no to that. But this whole talk did net me knowledge about the a certain expensive MVS to AES converter though. Looks like I might realistically be able to get me a mint boxed NEO GEO AES + the MVS Coverter II (because the new one comes in the ugliest blue I have ever seen) and the entire Slug Series in AES form + Shockboxes + nice covers for little over a grand.

I think my next goal is set.
Back in 04 i had a aes plus a phantom 1 converter.Still all i could aford was it's early release,plus the converter i had didn't play every game perfectly.With the phantom 1 i got glitches with some some games graphicly etc.It wasn't befor long befor i sold it all and switch to a cmvs 2-slot.Sure it doesn't look like much but it pays itselfs off in the end since games are dirt cheap on the mvs.

Btw keep in mind some mvs to aes converters don't play every game perfectly.

Still this is the latest one that is supose to be good.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?230313
Also there is a mod for the phantom 1 that is supose to adress the issue i talk about.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?227342

If you ask me i think a aes&converter is a waste given what you pay for in total.My advice i think a cmvs is a better choice you get it all in one.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

1980-20..

QuoteMan, I sure love the cover of Nectaris.
The games not half bad either.

roflmao

Quote from: kakutolives on 05/08/2012, 01:14 AMYea I already tried it for a bit. The game is real fun. The 2 other bonk games in the 3 in 1 disc are good too
There's also a code to play the first Bomberman on that disc as well.  I haven't used it in awhile, but I think at the game selection screen you press up, right, down, left, then button II (not sure about which button) and you should hear a chime and Bomberman will load up.

Congrats on getting that disc!  There's a ton of grade A prime gaming found in there.

kamiboy

Quote from: TR0N on 05/08/2012, 01:59 AMBack in 04 i had a aes plus a phantom 1 converter.Still all i could aford was it's early release,plus the converter i had didn't play every game perfectly.With the phantom 1 i got glitches with some some games graphicly etc.It wasn't befor long befor i sold it all and switch to a cmvs 2-slot.Sure it doesn't look like much but it pays itselfs off in the end since games are dirt cheap on the mvs.

Btw keep in mind some mvs to aes converters don't play every game perfectly.

Still this is the latest one that is supose to be good.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?230313
Also there is a mod for the phantom 1 that is supose to adress the issue i talk about.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?227342

If you ask me i think a aes&converter is a waste given what you pay for in total.My advice i think a cmvs is a better choice you get it all in one.
I know the converters don't play nice with every game but I am pretty much just buying into NEO GEO for two reasons, I love the stylings of the AES, which rules out any consolized stuff, even the ones made to look the part, and for the Metal Slug series. There really are less than 5 none Slug games on that system that I am sort of maybe interested in getting. But the slug series is so good that they justify the price of the system, that along with how good the AES looks. What can say I like good looking systems, otherwise I wouldn't pay so much to buy them mint.

That new garish blue converter is a no go as well, who the hell wants to buy a 400+ sexy system and stick that ugly clown hat on it? What were they thinking with that colour choice? Luckily the older revision was black so I am getting that one.

SuperDeadite

Or just man-up and buy the real deal games like a boss.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

kamiboy

No dice, those Metal Slug game prices are placed deep, deep in the heart of loony land.

SuperDeadite

meh, 1,2 are really the only ones you need.  3 is fun but not required, X is for 2-player fetishists, and 4, 5 just suck.

kamiboy

What? Everyone swears by 3, don't they?

Besides I refuse to believe that games with such heavenly pixel art could ever suck. Or rather I would be too busy being mesmerized to notice. I don't have a 2-player fetish, but I do have a pixel art one.

SuperDeadite

3 is fun until the final level.  Then it just gets annoying.  4 and 5 suck, just really suck.

kamiboy

Nooooooooo! You lie, bad man lie! Make bad man stop...

... well for the manageable price tag of MVS copies I am willing to find out for myself.

I just secured 2 and X for 115 shipped and they both come with those nice shockboxes. That is a price point were I am willing to experiment and potentially get burned, damn be all.

Opethian

X has issues with some MVS > AES convertors as do some of the later playmore titles. I think they need extra power so youll have to plug the damn thing into the wall.
IMG

SuperDeadite

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/08/2012, 09:32 AMNooooooooo! You lie, bad man lie! Make bad man stop...

... well for the manageable price tag of MVS copies I am willing to find out for myself.

I just secured 2 and X for 115 shipped and they both come with those nice shockboxes. That is a price point were I am willing to experiment and potentially get burned, damn be all.
You realize you just bought 2 copies of the same game right?  X is just 2 with ugly colors and harder difficulty.  It does get a lot less slowdown (ie the better version for 2 player mode), but the ugly colors are ugly.  2>>>>>>X

kamiboy

No I didn't know about X being a revised 2, I don't care though, if I am going to pay the price for the system I might as well get the whole set. It is not like there are any other games in the NEO library that interest me.

Quote from: Opethian on 05/08/2012, 09:52 AMX has issues with some MVS > AES convertors as do some of the later playmore titles. I think they need extra power so youll have to plug the damn thing into the wall.
I've only heard of Metal Slug 5 having issues with the Super MVS converter II and only with NEO GEO systems that do not come with a 5V power adapter.

Opethian

oh I thought you had a Pranslation adaptor. I guess the SMVS convertor II plays everything?
IMG

kamiboy

I don't have any NEO hardware yet, I am saving that for later, getting the games first.

The new garish blue MVS converter 2011 is supposed to play everything, or pretty much everything without any problems.

The previous model, the MVS Converter II needs an external adapter for certain games if you have anything but a 5V NEO GEO system. Also the MVS II has graphical problems with games that use scaling, like fighters and such. So far as I know it works for the Slug series which is all I need so I'll be getting that one sometimes over the next few months.

BlueBMW

If you decide you dont need both x and 2 Im looking for either one.

kamiboy

Head on over to Neo Geo forums, there are a bunch of sellers selling those.

TR0N

Quote from: kamiboy on 05/08/2012, 10:17 AMNo I didn't know about X being a revised 2, I don't care though, if I am going to pay the price for the system I might as well get the whole set. It is not like there are any other games in the NEO library that interest me.

Quote from: Opethian on 05/08/2012, 09:52 AMX has issues with some MVS > AES convertors as do some of the later playmore titles. I think they need extra power so youll have to plug the damn thing into the wall.
I've only heard of Metal Slug 5 having issues with the Super MVS converter II and only with NEO GEO systems that do not come with a 5V power adapter.
Well i've said what i think is a good neo-geo setup is so i'll leave it at that.Far as the slugs go MS2 if you just want it single player MSX if it's two players.Btw as for 4&5 MS4 was just a rehash nothing original as for MS5 it's lacking but i've played worse.Also fans do see MS3 as being the peak of the serise,but the game can drag on to long towards the end.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Opethian

4 and 5 maybe bad but nothing was worse than 6
IMG

majors

Quote from: TR0N on 05/09/2012, 12:26 AMAlso fans do see MS3 as being the peak of the serise,but the game can drag on to long towards the end.
Truth! 3 is loooooong. You get your moneys worth, I guess.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

kamiboy

What is wrong with 6? It looks really good in videos. Too bad there is no good way for me to play it outside of emulation perhaps. I hear the PS2 port puts out 480i. Why?

BlueBMW

This little feller came in today.... should get lots of use!  Already got the cable to use it with my keyboard and my DOS computer, just waiting on the MIDI card for the X68k!

/SC_55.jpg

SuperDeadite

6 is ass.  240p sprites on top of awful prerendered CG high-res backgrounds.  So ugly.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BlueBMW

Mathius

BlueBMW

I hooked it up to my old DOS computer and have been discovering all sorts of great new soundtracks for all my old favorite games...

Hyperspeed, Civilization, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Colonization, Castle of Dr Brain, Dune 2, all of them have either MT-32 or sound canvas modes that can utilize this module!  Some sound comparable to the internal SB16/Adlib, but some sound amazing!

/DOS_SC55.jpg

Ji-L87

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/09/2012, 09:45 PM6 is ass.  240p sprites on top of awful prerendered CG high-res backgrounds.  So ugly.
This also applies on 7.  : |
Looks wonky.
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

kamiboy

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/10/2012, 12:19 AMI hooked it up to my old DOS computer and have been discovering all sorts of great new soundtracks for all my old favorite games...
When it comes to music I find that I am extremely biased towards the way that I heard it back in the day. Whenever I hear DOS games played on superior sound hardware that perhaps technically produce a better sound track I only tend to cringe.

I had to hunt down an old PC just so I could hear those tunes as they are rendered on actual Sound Blaster 16 hardware.

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/09/2012, 09:45 PM6 is ass.  240p sprites on top of awful prerendered CG high-res backgrounds.  So ugly.
The deuce you say. The short snippets of video I had seen did not communicate that detail of import at all. Pre-rendered graphics or sprites are like a deadly sin to me, looks like I'll be skipping 6 and 7 then.

jeffhlewis

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/10/2012, 12:19 AMI hooked it up to my old DOS computer and have been discovering all sorts of great new soundtracks for all my old favorite games...

Hyperspeed, Civilization, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Colonization, Castle of Dr Brain, Dune 2, all of them have either MT-32 or sound canvas modes that can utilize this module!  Some sound comparable to the internal SB16/Adlib, but some sound amazing!

/DOS_SC55.jpg
Man I remember back in the day the always mythic "MT-32" option that no one actually owned (at least that I knew anyway :) You have to try Silpheed for DOS on that bad boy - the game sounded great with just adlib audio; I've heard the MT-32 soundtrack for it is amazing.

SuperDeadite

The SC-55 isn't an MT-32 though.  The SC-55 can remap MT-32 notes so they match up, but it's pure simulation.  The hardware is totally different.  A real LA synth module MT-32/CM-32L/CM-64/CM-500 is the only way to listein to such games.  Also the SC-55 does not understand MT-32 SysEx messages, so any special custom tweaks written into an MT-32 midi file can not be heard on a 55.  55 is great for GS and GM though.

BlueBMW

The games that support sound canvas sound fantastic.  The MT 32 ones are hit and miss... likely because of what Deadite stated.

That said... the one I like the most is Master of Orion so far.  It uses the sb16 for sound effects and the canvas for music.  It sounds fantastic.

@kamiboy  dont get me wrong, the original sb16/awe32 sound is great and will always hold the nostalgia card.  Its just interesting to see what else the programmers put in these old games.

Bernie

Got this in today.
/463231_3183467221951_1123836233_32283045_1171678583_o.jpg

Ji-L87

IMG

Been wanting BGC 8 & MADOX-01 for a long time. Finally showed up on Rakuten. :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Samurai Ghost

Picked up a few Master System games.

IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/10/2012, 04:47 PMPicked up a few Master System games.
Hearing Smooth Criminal played on SMS hardware is pretty awesome and it's not that bad a game either. I got Ghost House on cartridge because I don't roll with that model 1 stuff.
Topic Adjourned.

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2012, 06:43 PM
Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 05/10/2012, 04:47 PMPicked up a few Master System games.
I got Ghost House on cartridge because I don't roll with that model 1 stuff.
The Sega cards remind me of hu cards.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

jeffhlewis

Quote from: hoobs88 on 05/10/2012, 06:50 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/10/2012, 06:43 PM
I got Ghost House on cartridge because I don't roll with that model 1 stuff.
The Sega cards remind me of hu cards.
Ghost house is about the only one worth picking up, too.

Samurai Ghost

Well there were a lot of cool Mark III and SG-1000 cards (MyCards) which I have a pretty good collection of. Don't have too many US cards though.

Also just got this whole lot of Intellivision stuff today for $18 at a thrift store! A lot of the games look completely unused but there are a lot of boring sports games. Gotta pick up some more games!

IMG

BlueBMW

Lazerz GET

Never again will I find myself without lasers to repair CDROM2 units...

/lazerz.jpg

Samurai Ghost

Nice!! Would you consider selling any of those separately? I have a couple CD rom units that might need a new LAZOR

Mathius

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/10/2012, 08:11 PMLazerz GET

Never again will I find myself without lasers to repair CDROM2 units...

/lazerz.jpg
Good lord! Bemby, you teh Man! :)

SuperDeadite

How many LaserActives are hidden behind those boxes?

BlueBMW

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 05/10/2012, 09:38 PMHow many LaserActives are hidden behind those boxes?
Just one :wink:  The stack of 6 is in the closet lol.

Sparky

Sweet f@ck Beamer! Hope you got those new but old units for a steel man :).
Where the hell did ya find those.  Pm me :)