@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Gradius.

Started by VenomMacbeth, 06/13/2012, 07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VenomMacbeth

Although I've been mildly interested in the Gradius series for a bit now, I have recently acquired a couple more games in the series.  The very first time I played it, which was on the NES, I put it back down & played something else, as I wasn't a fan of the power-up system.  Since then, however, I've grown to love it.  It adds a delicious touch of strategy to the game.  Add to that the awesome music (what retro gamer doesn't recognize "Challenger 1985"?) as per usual with Konami and I've had a lot of fun with it!  My one gripe, however, is how all your power-ups are taken when you die.  I just reset the game when this happens, as once I start dying, I just die more.

So, do you like Gradius?  Why or why not?  Do you have a favorite game in the series? (Salamander/Life-Force included!)
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Opethian

Dying after about stage 4 you might as well reset

I like the MSX Gradius games, the SCC chip makes for some legendary tunes
IMG

soop

I've only played it briefly...  Parodius always seems like more fun, but I haven't really made enough effort with either to get to grips.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

fraggore

Yea man love all the games gradius 5 is a stunning looking game but can be pretty hard going at times, not shore what my favorete would be the original is a classic, 5 is stunning, gradius gaiden is a wicked game hard to pick one.

And then is the prodius series all wicked as well I have just enjoyed the gradius games over the years even tho like you losing all you power ups when you die is a bitch, just like they way play love the sound tracks classic shooters even pondering on getting a gradius tattoo some thing diffrent like the ship and the Easter island head and the options going up my forearm with some enemy's thrown in here and then.

I am not a fun boy honest.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

VenomMacbeth

Yeah, I just watched a longplay of Gradius V and...wow.  That game is insane.  Amazing soundtrack & graphics, but the gameplay looks brutal. ._.  I suppose that's to be expected, seeing as how Treasure was involved...
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

The Gradius series is what got me into shooties.  I loved it on NES!  The best playing Gradius in my opinion, is our own PC Engine version.  It's better than the arcade.

If you like those, then how you feel about Salamander or Life Force?  I recently got the Salamander Deluxe collection on Saturn and have completely been sucked into playing those games again. Such epicness!!

Anytime Treasure and Konami are in cahoots magic happens.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SuperDeadite

I have most of them in various forms, including the original arcade pcbs for II, III, and IV, and all the MSX games.  But honestly I'm not a big fan of the series.  I much prefer Salamander and Thunder Cross.  II, 2, 90'Kai, and Gaiden are my faves in the normal Gradius series.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Arkhan Asylum

I have Gradius for MSX and NES... and Salamander and Parodius for PCE...

and well, they're OK, I guess.

The music makes them worth playing.   I'm not big on horizontal shooters.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PunkCryborg

I always start playing Gradius but then I switch to Parodius.

Tatsujin

Love Gradius ll, gaiden and salamander the most :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

GohanX

I never liked Gradius back in the day (especially the NES version) since it was slow and clunky, and the powerup system sucked. Then I played Parodius on PCE and loved the game. Parodius got me accustomed to the powerup system, so I have Gradius another shot. The game isn't slow, I just need speed powerups!

I've been rocking the NES version lately, considering the hardware it's awesome but I can't get past stage 3.

BlueBMW

I love Parodius, and have grown to love Gradius as well.  Here lately Ive been playing the 68000 versions of parodius, gradius 1 and 2 and salamander.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

GohanX

That reminds me, I forgot to mention that I really LOVE Gradius 2. Something about it really clicks with me, and the boss rush at the end is one of the most intense moments in gaming.

roflmao

Yeah, Gradius II has really grown on me.  And I haven't even made it to the boss rush at the end yet! :D

fraggore

gradius 6 looks like its been cancelled gutted mmmm.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Colossus1574

Quote from: fraggore on 06/15/2012, 02:59 PMgradius 6 looks like its been cancelled gutted mmmm.
Not too surprising...the shooter age has lost it's lustre quite awhile ago...The cost of a game doesn't offset the short experience for most non-shooter fans i guess. Other great shooter series like R-Type (what a finale, RType Final was epic! Irem really threw everything in for the loyal fans to end it off) and ThunderForce has also concluded i think. That's what makes the PCE so kickass with it's abundance to wicked shooters!

And my fav was probably Lifeforce only cause i used to always play 2 players with my lil' bro back in the day...

Mathius

I could play NES Life Force all day. I enjoy it more than even the excellent Salamander on the PCE. Even the arcade versions of Life Force and Salamander can't hold a candle to Konami's excellent port on the NES.

Colossus1574

Quote from: Mathius on 06/16/2012, 12:29 PMI could play NES Life Force all day. I enjoy it more than even the excellent Salamander on the PCE. Even the arcade versions of Life Force and Salamander can't hold a candle to Konami's excellent port on the NES.
AGREED Mathius!  =D&gt; The music was pretty nice for a nes cart as well !

Mathius

Quote from: Colossus1574 on 06/17/2012, 05:10 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 06/16/2012, 12:29 PMI could play NES Life Force all day. I enjoy it more than even the excellent Salamander on the PCE. Even the arcade versions of Life Force and Salamander can't hold a candle to Konami's excellent port on the NES.
The music is what I enjoy the most. :D

Colossus1574

Quote from: Mathius on 06/17/2012, 05:24 PM
Quote from: Colossus1574 on 06/17/2012, 05:10 PM
The music is what I enjoy the most. :D
Hahaha, exactly what i praised the NES for on the SOOP's Ninja Gaiden thread :)

Digi.k

quite pleased with the pc engine versions of gradius, salamander, and parodius da!?!  and Gradius II super cd-rom

They offer some stuff unique on the pc engine platforms such as the pc-e's synth sounding music ^____^

VenomMacbeth

Agreed, the soundtrack is one of the things that keeps me playing Gradius games.    I haven't played any of the Parodius games, as I don't tend to enjoy the "paro-shmups", with Fantasy Zone being an exception.  I'll probably give Twinbee a shot here soon, as well. 

Salamander/Life-Force is great.  I have the NES version, and the PCE version on my Iphone.  I enjoy the NES version more, mostly because it has the same power-up system as Gradius.

If I'm not mistaken, it seems Konami's Gradius games for the NES typically surpass all other ports, with the original Gradius being a possible exception...not that it's bad or anything, it's just somewhat basic as compared to Salamander, Gradius II, etc.  I like the PCE version best, I'd say.
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Dyna138

Gradius is one of my favorite shooters, I've been a fan of the series even when I wasn't big on the genre. My favorite would have to be Gradius III on the SNES, great graphics and sound and a good balanced difficulty.

Lifeforce on the NES would have to be my second favorite. I remember as a kid I needed the 30 lives code to beat it but nowadays I clear it on 1 life. Konami did a great job with the NES version I like the added stages and power-up system. I like the PCE version of Salamander too, but the NES version is a classic for me.

Gradius II on PCE is probably my third favorite tied with V. The difficulty tends to bring them down for me otherwise they might be higher. Very hard to recover if your killed late in the game and that's just frustrating to the point I lose interest.

esteban

I'm a fan of the Gradius series and Konami's PCE ports are great. I am quite pleased with them.

I thought there would be more Gradius 1 love here...it really is a great/classic game. I've played it too much, sadly. Overplayed it. Years ago. On the NES. Despite this, the PCE version still convinced me to play it--yet again :pcgs:.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

roflmao

I just picked up Gradius on the PCE last week and I am really digging it.  It's been awhile since I've played the NES version so now I'm tempted to play the two side-by-side. :p

Tatsujin

Quote from: Dyna138 on 06/23/2012, 05:00 PMMy favorite would have to be Gradius III on the SNES, great graphics and sound and a good balanced difficulty.
ROLFMAOLOL :D
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/04/2012, 10:03 AM
Quote from: Dyna138 on 06/23/2012, 05:00 PMMy favorite would have to be Gradius III on the SNES, great graphics and sound and a good balanced difficulty.
Stop snickering! Despite the well-known issues (slow down), I actually enjoy Gradius III on SNES. Sure, I wish it was ported to more consoles back in the day, but I am OK with what we got.

I suppose I was simply desperate for a new Gradius game at the time, but I have never hated Gradius III on SNES.

A SuperCD PORT, though, would have been SWEETNESS  :pcds:

Tatsujin

Quote from: esteban on 07/04/2012, 11:21 AM
Stop snickering! Despite the well-known issues (slow down), I actually enjoy Gradius III on SNES. Sure, I wish it was ported to more consoles back in the day, but I am OK with what we got.

I suppose I was simply desperate for a new Gradius game at the time, but I have never hated Gradius III on SNES.

A SuperCD PORT, though, would have been SWEETNESS  :pcds:
lol, i didn't rolf because it is THAT bad, even it isn't really good as well. i was rolfing because it is ones favorite gradius :D

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/04/2012, 11:33 AM

lol, i didn't rolf because it is THAT bad, even it isn't really good as well. i was rolfing because it is ones favorite gradius :D
Aha! Gotcha. I missed that point entirely!

KnightWarrior

I like the Power Up Code for Gradius III on the Super NES

Dyna138

:?:

That sentence hurts my head, but I'm guessing you don't approve my favorite Gradius game is part III?

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Dyna138 on 07/13/2012, 10:03 PM

:?:

That sentence hurts my head, but I'm guessing you don't approve my favorite Gradius game is part III?

Different strokes for different folks I guess.
It isn't much about the III itself, more about the III on that particular system, which could handle shoot 'em ups in such a well and elegant way in general :D

anyway, it's just fun, and yeah also...
:)

esteban

Quote from: KnightWarrior on 07/13/2012, 02:33 AMI like the Power Up Code for Gradius III on the Super NES
IIRC, your ship blows up, correct? That's great :pcgs:.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/13/2012, 10:35 PManyway, it's just fun, and yeah also...
:)
I actually like that song :pcgs:.

Tatsujin

Lol esty, guess who likes it too :)