My low pass filtered stereo sound mod

Started by Drakon, 07/20/2012, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Drakon

which do you people prefer, default audio of the low pass filtered one?
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

HercTNT

the only difference i noticed, was that the low pass mod muted and muddled the sound. That is how it sounds to me atleast. Was the low pass filter meant to improve clarity, bass, tone, etc?  I'm not knocking your work, i'm just not seeing the difference. I'm also and idiot when it comes to sound. Maybe if you clarified what you did and why i will know what to listen for.

SignOfZeta

I see no need for it.

BTW, this file plays extremely quiet, which is kind of a problem when its supposed to be used to judge sound quality.
IMG

HercTNT

maybe thats the issue, i had to crank my speakers up to judge the second sample, and my speakers are not of the highest quality at high volume.

roflmao


Drakon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/20/2012, 11:54 PMI see no need for it.

BTW, this file plays extremely quiet, which is kind of a problem when its supposed to be used to judge sound quality.
Haha yeah I know it's quiet I'm also going to build an amp for it just waiting on the parts.

Quote from: HercTNT on 07/20/2012, 11:46 PMthe only difference i noticed, was that the low pass mod muted and muddled the sound. That is how it sounds to me atleast. Was the low pass filter meant to improve clarity, bass, tone, etc?  I'm not knocking your work, i'm just not seeing the difference. I'm also and idiot when it comes to sound. Maybe if you clarified what you did and why i will know what to listen for.
Yeah a low pass filter basically muffles a bit.  It's filtering down the treble so the bass stands out more.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

HercTNT

Well that explains alot. i did notice the bass being a tad more prominent but the loss in treble is not to my liking. Nothing wrong with trying something new though. appreciate the attempt. Personally i'm all for improved audio. Kinda tough with the turbo though as its got damn fine audio as it is.

Drakon

To me the pc engine sounds like it needs more bass.  I think there're ways to boost the bass by building an amp circuit but this was a very simple trick I did that only required 6 parts.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Drakon on 07/21/2012, 06:14 PMTo me the pc engine sounds like it needs more bass.  I think there're ways to boost the bass by building an amp circuit but this was a very simple trick I did that only required 6 parts.
I agree that the sound is thin, but anything you can do to the PCE's audio equalization-ise you can do better with an AV receiver. The PCE sounds terrific in my game room, except for the noise levels, which I'm pretty sure are unfixable.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Drakon on 07/21/2012, 06:14 PMTo me the pc engine sounds like it needs more bass.  I think there're ways to boost the bass by building an amp circuit but this was a very simple trick I did that only required 6 parts.
IMG Hany sagely advises, "Drakon, this isn't the ideal solution, but you can focus on playing games that have a bass-heavy soundtrack: Drop Rock, Ballistix, Falcon, SimEarth, etc."
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG