What's your favorite NES shmup?

Started by bob, 08/07/2012, 08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

There are a lot of overlooked shmups on the NES and one that I have grown to love lately is the NES port of Gyruss. I never played this until recently and I've been a bit addicted.

Do you play any shmups on the NES?  If so, what do you like?  I'm hoping I can find a few recommendations in here.  So far, I have:
Gyruss
Gradius
Life force
Xevious
Xexyz (if this counts since its half platformer)
Section Z

Tatsujin

Gradius II
Crisis Force
Gunac
Recca
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

soop

I haven't played much NES shooties.. in fact I'm struggling to think if I actually own one.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

TR0N

Zanac
Life Force:I need to get that one again
Recaa Summer Carnival 92
Gun-Nac
Crisis Force
Gyruss
Guardian Legend:it is part shoot'em up.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

roflmao

Opethian

IMG

soop

Quote from: guest on 08/07/2012, 08:55 AMGun.Smoke
Nailed it!  Also, Ikari Warriors, not that I've played it yet.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

Hector '87 has the bad ass caravan song!!
IMG

geise

esteban

I don't think I could pick only one NES shoot-em-up.

Too many great titles.

Quote from: galam on 08/07/2012, 08:04 AMThere are a lot of overlooked shmups on the NES and one that I have grown to love lately is the NES port of Gyruss. I never played this until recently and I've been a bit addicted.

Do you play any shmups on the NES?  If so, what do you like?  I'm hoping I can find a few recommendations in here.  So far, I have:
Gyruss
Gradius
Life force
Xevious
Xexyz (if this counts since its half platformer)
Section Z
I loved the NES port of Gyruss. I rented that and Ninja Gaiden at the same time (back in the day). It was so fun playing both of them (alternating between the genres).

I was surprised how often I have gone back to Gyruss over the years. It's a fun NES title.

Section Z, I remember mapping it out when I was in middle school, back in the day. I can't recall if I ever beat it, but I do remember getting frustrated with the mapping. I just wanted to beat the damn game!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

HercTNT

Guardian legend by far
Gunsmoke
Gyruss
Crysis Force (extremely well done nes shooter)
Life Force

bob

Was crysis force a US release? I have never heard of it. By who?

meka

I like The Guardian Legend, it's a mix of action-adventure/shoot 'em up. It's unfortunate Compile went bust, they made some great games.

Drakon

Crisis force, followed by recca.
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

roflmao

I can't believe I forgot to add Guardian Legend to my list.  It's like Blazing Lazer's long lost adventure-hybrid cousin!  Excellent game.

VenomMacbeth

Gradius II
Summer Carnival '92 Recca
Crisis Force
Uchuu Keibitai SDF (extremely well done shooter by HAL)
Tetrastar: The Fighter
Over Horizon

Also check out the NES homebrew, Blade Buster.  It's a caravan shooter that plays a lot like the Soldier games on the PCE (and uses the music from level 1 of Super Star Soldier.)  Gun Nac is good, if you're a fan of paro-shmups.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

TR0N

Quote from: galam on 08/07/2012, 02:01 PMWas crisis force a US release? I have never heard of it. By who?
Crisis Force is by konami and it wasn't released in the u.s,but it's realy solid and it pushes the nes to it's limits.You would all most mistake it for a pce shoot'em up.

http://www.videogameden.com/fc.htm?crf

I'd recomend this import highly boxed or loose it's worth tracking down.
IMG

TheClash603

I remember really enjoying S.C.A.T. back in the day.  Though I admittedly haven't played an NES shmup in a long time.  If I want a shmup fix, I tend to go straight for the TG16/PCE.  If I am playing my NES, I likely have some sort of platformer in the system.

HercTNT

crisis force really pushes the nes to its limits. its a damn fine shooter to boot. The guardian legend as old as it is, still rules in my book. If we can just get a 3d print out of the main character i would be good to go.

meka

By good do you mean greasing the three-legged cow.

futureman2000

khog143

Gun-Nac is my favorite NES shmup, followed by, if we are including run and guns, Jackal

Arkhan Asylum

How is Jackal a run n gun?

You're in a jeep.

It's a drive n' gun.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bardoly

Life Force is my favorite NES space shooter.  (I'm not considering run 'n gun games like the Contra games.)

I really enjoyed The Guardian Legend as well, and I'd like to try Recca and Parodius Da! for the NES if I ever get the chance.

HercTNT

I have the pal version of parodius on cart. They really did a good job with it considering. Your better of getting the Pce version of it though as its superior in every way.

KnightWarrior

Gradius
Gradius II
Life force
Xevious
Super Xevious (Famicom)

esteban

No one has said it, so I'll do it:

The best NES shoot-em-up is Konami's frantic S.T.I.N.G.E.R. (Twin Bee).

I actually like the NES/Famicom Twin Bee's more than the later incarnations on PCE, SNES, etc. :pcgs:

There is something wonderfully raw about the NES/Famicom TwinBee's...the later incarnations are, in a way, too polished (too slick).

NOT THAT I DON'T APPRECIATE the 16-bit Twin Bee installments, of course.

S.T.I.N.G.E.R.

TR0N

I forgot one that no one has mention either.
Legendary Wings
Another solid title from capcom not to mention it out does the arcade original.
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/09/2012, 03:37 PM,and I'd like to try Recca.
Recca Summer Carnival 92 can go for a lot but if you don't mind reproductions try here.
http://www.nesreproductions.com
IMG

esteban

Quote from: TR0N on 08/10/2012, 04:20 AMI forgot one that no one has mention either.
Legendary Wings
Another solid title from capcom not to mention it out does the arcade original.
The problem with Legendary Wings is that it gets so damn repetitive. Honestly, it would have been so much better if--at minimum--there were at least a few different bosses!

I like Legendary Wings, but it had the potential to be soooooooo much better.

I agree that it is a "must-play" for any shoot-em-up fan.

CrackTiger

Quote from: HercTNT on 08/08/2012, 01:53 AMcrisis force really pushes the nes to its limits. its a damn fine shooter to boot. The guardian legend as old as it is, still rules in my book. If we can just get a 3d print out of the main character i would be good to go.
I'm pretty sure that Crisis Force goes well beyond the NES's limits. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PunkCryborg

Yeah third vote for Hector 87
by hadoson!

HercTNT

Blacktiger what do you mean? crisis force is a nes game. Or am i missing something?

NecroPhile

Quote from: HercTNT on 08/10/2012, 03:10 PMBlacktiger what do you mean? crisis force is a nes game. Or am i missing something?
It uses a helper chip, right?  I suspect that's what he was getting at.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

HercTNT

Good point, I'm almost certain it has a helper chip to improve audio, otherwise i have no idea.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: HercTNT on 08/10/2012, 03:10 PMBlacktiger what do you mean? crisis force is a nes game. Or am i missing something?
It  doesn't even fit inside of my NES

HercTNT

har har, i honestly had to read that three or four times before i got it! nice  =D&gt;

liquitek

I always liked Twin Eagle, Life Force and 1943.

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 08/10/2012, 04:06 AMNo one has said it, so I'll do it:

Check page 1 again. :wink:

CrackTiger

Crisis Force uses the VRC4 chip for all the parallax and likely any other tile animation. Probably upgraded the audio too.

It may not add horsepower like the SVP and Super FX chips, but it was still a hardware upgrade that allowed the Famicom to do what it could not without it.

It's not like all those impressive SMS games that are loaded with 16-bit quality effects, where the hardware actually was being pushed beyond what was expected of it.

It would be cool to put together a list of the most impressive NES/Famicom games that didn't use any extra hardware.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

HercTNT

Bernie

roflmao

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2012, 06:53 PM
Quote from: esteban on 08/10/2012, 04:06 AMNo one has said it, so I'll do it:

Check page 1 again. :wink:
Aha! I stand corrected.

Good taste, my friend :pcgs:.

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 08/11/2012, 01:17 AMAha! I stand corrected.

Good taste, my friend :pcgs:.
It's all good.  :pcgs:  As far as NES shmups go, Stinger should be shouted from the rooftops!

...along with Gun.Smoke.

(Twin Cobra is good, but I haven't had it very long so it may be a passing fad - Kyukyuko Tiger for PCE is still way better.)

Drakon

I don't get why crisis force doesn't seem to be well known even in the nes community.  Maybe because it was famicom only?  Maybe because it's...a shmup and not a side scroller?
https://16bitgamer.canadian-forum.com/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"
Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Bernie

My favorite has to be Abadox!  Very good game IMO.

8bitForLife

gun smoke  gorrila war and captain skyhawk O and life force
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm

CrackTiger

Quote from: Drakon on 08/11/2012, 06:08 AMI don't get why crisis force doesn't seem to be well known even in the nes community.  Maybe because it was famicom only?  Maybe because it's...a shmup and not a side scroller?
That is unusual since it's well known outside of the NES community. :P