RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflmao

Quote from: Obfuscate on 11/13/2012, 02:26 PM
Quote from: munchiaz on 11/13/2012, 02:02 PMThe game is really easy, but i still find it fun to play, specially starting at stage 5. "Redo snake come out!!"
Yeah, don't get me wrong it is some fun to play, just many other much better shooters, yet I hear a lot of people claim this is one of the elite shooters on the system and I disagree with that. The Snowman and Bomberman bosses are especially cool.
It's definitely one of my favorite shooties for the system (next to Spriggan).  But for me it's the absurd atmosphere and music and the easier gameplay that ranks it up there for me.  And I love the timed games.  Any shooter that includes that gets extra points in my book. :)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.  :oops:

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2012, 09:19 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 11/13/2012, 09:35 AMI played all the way through and beat Bonk's Adventure Sunday night and really enjoyed doing so.  I didn't even use any continues!  (I had played through and beaten the game long ago.)

So, Monday night, I decided that I would do the same for Bonk's Revenge, but after using all of my continues, I could only get about halfway through the game.   ](*,)

I guess that I'll need to start it again and play through more slowly, getting as many extra lives as possible.  (Although I had played Bonk's Revenge some many years ago, I've never beaten the game.)
I'm in the same boat.  I've beaten Bonk's Adventure numerous times, but have NEVER beaten the sequel.  I think it's because I played the heck out of the first one when it was new.  It was one of the few games I owned early on so I played it incessantly.  But I didn't pick up Revenge until I got back into collecting for the system, in the late 90s.  And by then I had a pretty big library of games so haven't really given it the same dedication the first one got.
Well, I spent another hour and a half or two tonight playing more Bonk's Revenge, and I got all the way to the spaceship where you can choose which one of 4 different levels to play.  I beat one of the levels, and then I choose the water level.  About halfway through the level, I encountered a game-stopping glitch.   ](*,)  I was bonking some bricks when all of a sudden, I forced up through the ceiling into the non-visible area above top of the screen.  While I could walk/swim back and forth from the beginning of the level to the end, I couldn't find a way to get down or to kill myself, so I finally had to just turn the game off.   :(  This game is actually somewhat difficult, in that, while I was able to save up 7-8 lives and had 5 hearts, I finally died on the flying rocket knight, and when I used my first continue, I only start out with 3 lives and 3 hearts, which was a major setback.  I really don't want to look at a walkthrough to find all of the hidden hearts, but I may have to...

It almost seems that one needs to master the mini games so that he will have enough smiley faces to get extra lives to be able to more easily beat the game.  Either that of I just haven't gotten the rhythm of the game yet...

roflmao

I find it far more challenging than the first one.  Perhaps that's why I enjoyed the first one so much.  A game doesn't have to be hard to be fun.

seieienbu

I beat Bonk's Adventure, going on to Bonk's revenge tomorrow night.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turboswimbz

Quote from: Bardoly on 11/14/2012, 12:52 AM
Quote from: guest on 11/13/2012, 09:19 PM
Quote from: Bardoly on 11/13/2012, 09:35 AMI played all the way through and beat Bonk's Adventure Sunday night and really enjoyed doing so.  I didn't even use any continues!  (I had played through and beaten the game long ago.)

So, Monday night, I decided that I would do the same for Bonk's Revenge, but after using all of my continues, I could only get about halfway through the game.   ](*,)

I guess that I'll need to start it again and play through more slowly, getting as many extra lives as possible.  (Although I had played Bonk's Revenge some many years ago, I've never beaten the game.)
I'm in the same boat.  I've beaten Bonk's Adventure numerous times, but have NEVER beaten the sequel.  I think it's because I played the heck out of the first one when it was new.  It was one of the few games I owned early on so I played it incessantly.  But I didn't pick up Revenge until I got back into collecting for the system, in the late 90s.  And by then I had a pretty big library of games so haven't really given it the same dedication the first one got.
Well, I spent another hour and a half or two tonight playing more Bonk's Revenge, and I got all the way to the spaceship where you can choose which one of 4 different levels to play.  I beat one of the levels, and then I choose the water level.  About halfway through the level, I encountered a game-stopping glitch.   ](*,)  I was bonking some bricks when all of a sudden, I forced up through the ceiling into the non-visible area above top of the screen.  While I could walk/swim back and forth from the beginning of the level to the end, I couldn't find a way to get down or to kill myself, so I finally had to just turn the game off.   :(  This game is actually somewhat difficult, in that, while I was able to save up 7-8 lives and had 5 hearts, I finally died on the flying rocket knight, and when I used my first continue, I only start out with 3 lives and 3 hearts, which was a major setback.  I really don't want to look at a walkthrough to find all of the hidden hearts, but I may have to...

It almost seems that one needs to master the mini games so that he will have enough smiley faces to get extra lives to be able to more easily beat the game.  Either that of I just haven't gotten the rhythm of the game yet...
Mastering the mini games does help a lot more in the second than the first game, however I've beaten the game without too many extra hearts (4,5) many times.  The game gets considerably harder at the end when you have those 4 worlds to conquer.  Minimizing damage in each of these levels is key! Hopefully this allows to only have to use a continue very late or not at all. This really is one of the few times in revenge when strategy is fairly important, learning when to move slowly or to move around a dangerous enemy, could mean the difference between having extra hits in the 3rd and 4th world you try.  (and beyond)
     Overall I like that it's harder here it makes every hit you take feel important, gets your heart pumping and makes for great pacing  towards the climax of the story.  Revenge is one of favorite games of all time.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

chany60126

I was playing Cadash as the priest. I got killed by those pesky flying lions shortly after killing the silkworm boss. I guess I have to make sure to grind more next time, hehe.

roflmao

I picked up Cadash earlier this year (at TurboFest!  Thanks again, alexsduo :)) and it took me awhile to get into the game because I didn't initially think to do some much grinding early on.  Once I figured that out, it became much more enjoyable!  Now I want to play again. :P

Bardoly

Yep, Cadash is a very enjoyable game, but a little grinding at the beginning sure makes things a lot easier.

NecroPhile

Or use TORU to skip the grinding.  Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but I figure it's okay if you're just looking to hop into the game for a bit.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

psychobear

Playing New Adventure Island... My favorite game series

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 11/21/2012, 12:49 PMOr use TORU to skip the grinding.  Cheaters never win and winners never cheat, but I figure it's okay if you're just looking to hop into the game for a bit.
Wow, I didn't know about that.

Thanks!

Bardoly

Played some Somer Assault last week, and wow!  For some reason, I was expecting a space shooter, not a what-in-the-world-kind-of-game-is-this? kind of game.  I beat 3 stages, and then had to put it up for the night, but it was definitely different.  I was like, "The U.S. got this game instead of so many other great PC Engine HuCard games!?"  I'm not saying that it is a bad game per se, just that it's quite different and there are many more games that I enjoy far more.

Arjak

I'm currently playing two games:

-Ys IV: Dawn of Ys

Now that I can play it in full English, I have finally dove into this game for the first time. Being a big Ys fan, I am REALLY enjoying this one. In my opinion, it is just as good as Ys I & II so far.

-Cosmic Fantasy 2

Ugh...not a fan of this so far. It is quite clear to me that Laser Soft did not know how to optimize the use of the CD for cutscenes at this point. It seems like in every cutscene, it has to load for ten seconds between every little moment! There was a similar issue in Last Alert, but at least then, I was laughing in between at the ridiculous story. I also love how NOTHING interesting happens in the intro. Besides introducing the main characters, there is no excitement at all, making it seem like the game is going to be about fishing. When you finally get to the game, there are much worse problems. WHY are there items that cure the non-existant status ailments!? WHY do I have to exploit the guy who gives you free herbs just to beat the first battles!? WHY is the encounter rate so high in caves!? WHY is it so BORING!? My only hope is that the story gets better. If it doesn't, I'm in trouble.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: Arjak on 11/21/2012, 04:21 PM-Cosmic Fantasy 2

Ugh...not a fan of this so far. It is quite clear to me that Laser Soft did not know how to optimize the use of the CD for cutscenes at this point. It seems like in every cutscene, it has to load for ten seconds between every little moment! There was a similar issue in Last Alert, but at least then, I was laughing in between at the ridiculous story. I also love how NOTHING interesting happens in the intro. Besides introducing the main characters, there is no excitement at all, making it seem like the game is going to be about fishing. When you finally get to the game, there are much worse problems. WHY are there items that cure the non-existant status ailments!? WHY do I have to exploit the guy who gives you free herbs just to beat the first battles!? WHY is the encounter rate so high in caves!? WHY is it so BORING!? My only hope is that the story gets better. If it doesn't, I'm in trouble.
The other big issue is that the caves have very, very few identifying features, so it is incredibly easy to run in circles, for hours. I do, however, love finding the early cheesy pop culture of the 90s references that Working Designs threw in.

Like Exile: WP, the only thing that keeps me going in the CF2 is my love of all things Victor Ireland, regardless of how much they actually suck.
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Nec.Game.head

Lately I have been playing a lot of Ninja Spirit .. Haven't seen that game beat since around 92 when me and my cousin Frank would take turns playing through the levels .. I'll have to admit towards the last levels it gets pretty tough, but I most definitely really enjoy the game every time I play it ..
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

hoobs88

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 11/24/2012, 11:53 AMLately I have been playing a lot of Ninja Spirit .. Haven't seen that game beat since around 92 when me and my cousin Frank would take turns playing through the levels .. I'll have to admit towards the last levels it gets pretty tough, but I most definitely really enjoy the game every time I play it ..
I haven't beat Ninja Spirit since the 90's either. Lately I've been in a Ninja mood so I have been playing Ninja Gaiden on my Turbo Express that has been modified with a larger screen and a region switch.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

roflmao

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 11/24/2012, 11:53 AMLately I have been playing a lot of Ninja Spirit .. Haven't seen that game beat since around 92 when me and my cousin Frank would take turns playing through the levels .. I'll have to admit towards the last levels it gets pretty tough, but I most definitely really enjoy the game every time I play it ..
Awesome!  Ninja Spirit is one of my all time favorite games.  If you want to see one way to make it to the end (with only a couple of really derpy deaths), you can see a playthrough I recorded not too long ago here:
Each level is it's own video.  The link is to a playlist with all the levels and the end credits. I think the whole game takes less than 20 minutes. :mrgreen:

I still play this game all the time.  It's freaking awesome.

Back on topic, I got Mr. Heli in the mail today (found it on ebay for only $6.60 shipped!) and played that some.  I had it back in the late 90s but remember getting stuck somewhere and selling it in frustration.  I'm hoping I don't run into that same issue this time.  Fun little cute 'em up by irem!

Bardoly

Played some Parasol Stars, Fantasy Zone, and Bonk 3 (HuCard) with my wife recently.  She liked Bonk 3 the best, and we got through 4-5 levels before packing it up.

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

DildoKKKobold

Finally, finally beat Exile: Wicked Phenomenon.

I also discovered a nice glitch that let me cut out a big portion of the final level. I'm curious now if the glitch can be used elsewhere.

Basically, you can double jump (maybe infinitely jump) by switching characters, and pressing A right after you leave the menu. That skips most of the tower of lost souls. Saved me enough Peyote to finally beat the mid boss, which is far harder than they end boss.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

Bardoly

Played Zero Wing for the first time ever for about 3-4 hours tonight, but level 9 proved too much for me to handle.   ](*,)

See here for all of the tragic details.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2012, 11:11 PMBasically, you can double jump (maybe infinitely jump) by switching characters, and pressing A right after you leave the menu. That skips most of the tower of lost souls. Saved me enough Peyote to finally beat the mid boss, which is far harder than they end boss.
If I recall correctly, folks exploit this throughout the game.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: esteban on 12/02/2012, 04:10 PM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 11/29/2012, 11:11 PMBasically, you can double jump (maybe infinitely jump) by switching characters, and pressing A right after you leave the menu. That skips most of the tower of lost souls. Saved me enough Peyote to finally beat the mid boss, which is far harder than they end boss.
If I recall correctly, folks exploit this throughout the game.
I haven't ever seen anyone talk about it before. And here I was all happy to have discovered a brand new glitch. :/

I'd love to see where else people have used it.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

turboswimbz

I played riot zone today - 1 word comes to mind - generic.  still cool to play through a new turbo CD though.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

psychobear

roflmao

My 4yr old started playing Devils Crush for the first time this past weekend.  His first video game ever.  :)

On his second game he managed to get the ball stuck in a loop where it would go into a bonus round and as soon as the round ended, the ball would hit a little guy on the main play table and would bounce back into the hole with the bonus screen.  He played that same screen over and over again for like 30 minutes.  I actually recorded some of it on my DVD recorder so maybe I'll have to post some of it.  Eventually the ball made it past that enemy and the game ended.  He had a score of over 9 million!

Now all he wants to do is play Devil's Crush. Woo hoo!

Also, there has been a fair amount of Mr Heli action going on.  That lvl 2 boss I thought was impossible, but I think I've figured him out. :)  I'll beat him next time.  This game is all sorts of fun on the cheap.

Also, I just got Hatris and FEOE: Ziria in the mail today (thanks again Bernie!) and I anticipate I'll be playing them very shortly.

MrFlutterPie

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2012, 08:47 PMMy 4yr old started playing Devils Crush for the first time this past weekend.  His first video game ever.  :)

On his second game he managed to get the ball stuck in a loop where it would go into a bonus round and as soon as the round ended, the ball would hit a little guy on the main play table and would bounce back into the hole with the bonus screen.  He played that same screen over and over again for like 30 minutes.  I actually recorded some of it on my DVD recorder so maybe I'll have to post some of it.  Eventually the ball made it past that enemy and the game ended.  He had a score of over 9 million!

Now all he wants to do is play Devil's Crush. Woo hoo!
Parenting: you are doing it right!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/03/2012, 08:47 PMAlso, there has been a fair amount of Mr Heli action going on.  That lvl 2 boss I thought was impossible, but I think I've figured him out. :)  I'll beat him next time.  This game is all sorts of fun on the cheap.

Also, I just got Hatris and FEOE: Ziria in the mail today (thanks again Bernie!) and I anticipate I'll be playing them very shortly. 
I need to play Mr. Heli again. I remember not getting too far. Ha!

ALSO: You got Hatris! :pcgs:

roflmao

Quote from: esteban on 12/06/2012, 08:55 PMALSO: You got Hatris! :pcgs:
Yes, and I love it!  Mr. Heli is going to have to wait a bit. :)

MrFlutterPie

I have been playing Areo Blasters.  It seems a bit easier then the Sega Genesis release Air Busters despite being basically the same game.

seieienbu

I picked up Dragon's Curse today for $25, going to get started with it tomorrow.  I played the rom a bit, seemed like a fun game so I figured I'd try to find an actual copy.

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/09/2012, 03:29 AMI picked up Dragon's Curse today for $25, going to get started with it tomorrow.  I played the rom a bit, seemed like a fun game so I figured I'd try to find an actual copy.
Hell yes, it is.

MrFlutterPie

Yeah +1 to Dragon Cures.  That game is a lot of fun.

"ARRRGHH MY GOOD LOOKS!"

Bardoly

Yep, Dragon's Curse is a great game.  Play it!

For me, I just got Ys III last week, and I played through about half of it Thursday evening, and then I finished it off last night.  This was my first time ever playing this game, and I really enjoyed it, even if it felt a bit short and basic in some ways.  For my favorite TG-16 games, this one will definitely be in my top 20 (out of the 150ish which were released - both HuCard and CD format).  If you've never played it, then I recommend that you get a copy and give it a try.

DildoKKKobold

I really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

The game is just spectacularly awful to me. Between getting attacked in town, the redundant looking walls in the town, and the battles dragging out due to the number of misses, I just could not get into the game.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

turboswimbz

yea, i didn't like OotG to much either, good game just not for me.  However I have been playing today: devils and alien crush.  Fantastic Games.  I love the music in both.  played a little blazing lazers and sapphire to round out the turbo goodness. 

CPTRAVE

I just passed Riot Zone which was way to easy, and started playing Buster Bros.  :P

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2012, 11:22 PMI really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

The game is just spectacularly awful to me. Between getting attacked in town, the redundant looking walls in the town, and the battles dragging out due to the number of misses, I just could not get into the game.
Yeah, it's not everyone's cup of tea...if you did like it, then I would recommend the Gold Box games on PC... IMG

I love the game, myself (it's friggin' sweet!)

Go grab Buster Bros. You can't go wrong with that :pcgs:

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 12/10/2012, 03:53 PMI just passed Riot Zone which was way to easy, and started playing Buster Bros.  :P
Buster Bros. :pcgs::pcgs::pcgs:

seieienbu

2 bosses down, 3 to go I guess.  Dragon's Curse is fantastic.  After I'm done I guess I'll track down the other games in the series.  I hear this is the best one though.  Oh well.

rrob78

Played some Alien Crush & Parasol Stars last nite, fun times!

turboswimbz

Quote from: rrob78 on 12/13/2012, 09:22 AMPlayed some Alien Crush & Parasol Stars last nite, fun times!
2 fantastic choices!

roflmao

VestCunt

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 12/09/2012, 11:22 PMI really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

Ever play a first-person RPG before? It sounds like you never left the first town. At least OotG has a 3/4 view for the overworld and battles. If OotG is "spectacularly awful", you might as well skip Wizardry, Might and Magic, Dungeon Magic, Dungeon Master, Pool of Radiance and the Gold Box games, half of Phantasy Star 1 and the early Ultimas and anything else that requires thinking or mapping.

Learn how to differentiate the genre from the game. You're like someone who hates sports games whining about Tecmo Bowl.
Topic Adjourned.

seieienbu

Finally found the time to finish Dragon's Curse.  It's now my second favorite chip game after Dungeon Explorer.

MotherGunner

Last night, I was playing World Heroes 2, Sapphire Boot, and stopped early for some Information Society CD + G.  I needed to hear some tunes to tune out all the bad news from yesterday, I have a child in the same grade as those kids, fuck man...  *smh*
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

PunkCryborg

hoobs88

Quote from: esteban on 12/10/2012, 09:28 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/09/2012, 11:22 PMI really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

Yeah, it's not everyone's cup of tea...if you did like it, then I would recommend the Gold Box games on PC... IMG

I love the game, myself (it's friggin' sweet!)
I also enjoyed OOtG...so much that I mapped out all of the towns and dungeons on graph paper (later converted them to spreadsheets). It can be difficult early on before your party gets leveled up but it gets easier when you get the magical items from the town to the right (forgot the name).
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

psychobear

Finally got my hands on Super Star Solder for a decent price so I been playing that for the past 2 days, playing the 2 minute mode the most.

NinjaCrackerX

Started Cosmic Fantasy 2. Just curious if anyone here played it, I keep getting destroyed at what I guess is the first boss. Not sure if it's a grind heavy game or I'm too used to today's easy RPGs!

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: VestCunt on 12/14/2012, 04:10 AM
Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 12/09/2012, 11:22 PMI really, really tried to give Order of the Griffon a fair shake...

Ever play a first-person RPG before? It sounds like you never left the first town. At least OotG has a 3/4 view for the overworld and battles. If OotG is "spectacularly awful", you might as well skip Wizardry, Might and Magic, Dungeon Magic, Dungeon Master, Pool of Radiance and the Gold Box games, half of Phantasy Star 1 and the early Ultimas and anything else that requires thinking or mapping.

Learn how to differentiate the genre from the game. You're like someone who hates sports games whining about Tecmo Bowl.
... My irony meter just exploded, Mr. "I-hate-jRPGs"

Also, a lot of those games do the mapping for you, and add more depth of field, so you can see where you are going. I enjoyed Darkside and Clouds of Xeen, back in the day.

At least I didn't create an entire thread whining about it, after having played multiple D&D games. This is the first AD&D game I've touched.
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG