The “What-Did-You-Buy-Today?” Thread

Started by Tatsujin, 06/15/2008, 05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchiaz

^ i still need to pick up shadow of the damned. Love me some suda 51

bob

A little thrifting today.

12 Saiyuki DVD's.  I don't know much about them, but for $2 each, it was worth a shot.  They all have pretty cool posters I guess (and discs are mint).
20 Star Wars Audio Books.  FUCK YEAH! Cassette Tapes.
And another album for my wall

dotsandloops.com/turbo/sai1.jpg
dotsandloops.com/turbo/sai2.jpg
dotsandloops.com/turbo/sw_all.jpg
dotsandloops.com/turbo/hot.jpg

roflmao

Nice score on the Star Wars audio book cassettes!  Looks like you've got a lot of good road-trip material there. :)

Mathius

I still have all of my Star Wars cassettes from the 90s. One of my Kevin J. Anderson audio books features Anthony Daniels narrating. God bless the guy but he can't do dark brooding voices very well.

roflmao

I have a couple of the original BBC radio dramas based off the original trilogy and they are awesome.  A fair amount of the original cast was brought back to voice their characters, and most of the alternates are really good.  Lots of back story was added to the radio drama, which really fleshes out the story, imo.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 05/11/2013, 08:58 PMI have a couple of the original BBC radio dramas based off the original trilogy and they are awesome.  A fair amount of the original cast was brought back to voice their characters, and most of the alternates are really good.  Lots of back story was added to the radio drama, which really fleshes out the story, imo.
Sounds interesting!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mishran

Samurai Shodown is really good on the 3DO. I still have my copy even though I haven't had a 3DO in years. :P

Picked me up a black Classic Controller Pro today at a thrift shop for $5.00 for use with the Wii homebrew channel.

Mathius

Tats, did you get Star Control 2 yet?

Bardoly

Got some stuff in on Saturday.
/img4892ft.jpg

Checked this one off of my want list and I'm looking forward to playing it after I get a chance to play Exile first.
/img4890r.jpg

Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest, Arcade Card Duo, Deden no Den, & Digital Champ are all thanks to nectarsis.

Anearth Fantasy Stories is courtesy of pixeljunkie.

Thanks guys!

munchiaz

^ you always post the games im looking for. This time it is exile 2. Good stuff man

Tatsujin

Quote from: Mathius on 05/13/2013, 04:21 PMTats, did you get Star Control 2 yet?
lol, star control 2? is that something we talked about once in ancient times or so? :lol:

either way, did not get that yet :P
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BlueBMW

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/13/2013, 08:35 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 05/13/2013, 04:21 PMTats, did you get Star Control 2 yet?
lol, star control 2? is that something we talked about once in ancient times or so? :lol:

You must tats.... its sooo very good!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Tatsujin

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/13/2013, 09:01 PM

I so would if it just was available on le obey engine :D

jeffhlewis

Tats: How's that Night Striker for PS1? We used to have that arcade machine at our local Aladdin's Castle (the sit-down version - right next to a multi-screen Ninja Warriors). Such a badass game. Been trying to track down the Saturn and Mega CD versions but they're a little on the spendy-side.

Tatsujin

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/13/2013, 10:12 PMTats: How's that Night Striker for PS1? We used to have that arcade machine at our local Aladdin's Castle (the sit-down version - right next to a multi-screen Ninja Warriors). Such a badass game. Been trying to track down the Saturn and Mega CD versions but they're a little on the spendy-side.
I think it is similar to the saturn version, and as I was told it runs on 30fps. the arcade was 60fps. beside of that, it should be arcade faithful.

the MCD version is a huge pile of liquid cow crap compared. sheer unplayable if you ask me.

:edit:

found this:

QuoteNight Striker later received a nearly perfect port to the Playstation in 1995. But nearly a year later in 1996, Ving published an enhanced version called Night Striker S on the Saturn. It's also an exact replication of the arcade game, although it features a new CG intro movie and a special Saturn-only mode. It contains a bonus mode with six exclusive levels, although there aren't any branching paths, so it's pretty short. It's not enhanced graphically in any way either, which is a little disappointing. Furthermore, neither of the 32-bit versions feature the arranged music - you're stuck with the original arcade synth, which seems like an annoying oversight considering how much space is left on the CD. Still, it's definitely the best way to experience this overlooked gem.

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/13/2013, 09:51 PM
Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/13/2013, 09:01 PM

I so would if it just was available on le obey engine :D
Tats, there is only one game worth owning a 3DO for just to play it. That game is Star Control 2. It is epic in every sense and a true classic. If you can't source a copy in Japan I will help you get an American copy. There is zero region protection on the 3DO. Take Beamer's and my word for it. Do not part this world without experiencing this game.

jeffhlewis

It's here! And completely immaculate. Now I just need a Laserdisc player...

IMG

SmaMan

So is that actually the game that you can play on a Laserdisc? Or is it just a showcase type video like this Art of Fighting one?

Either way, I have a Laserdisc player I'm not currently using, and I might just be willing to part with it.
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

jeffhlewis

Quote from: SmaMan on 05/14/2013, 11:25 AMSo is that actually the game that you can play on a Laserdisc? Or is it just a showcase type video like this Art of Fighting one?

Either way, I have a Laserdisc player I'm not currently using, and I might just be willing to part with it.
It's just a "Super Play" laserdisc - someone playing through the game. Sounds silly but I can see where back in the day it was amazing to see the arcade game in LD quality on your home TV. This disc was dated 1987. I'm trying to track down the other ones (Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, a few others) but they rarely come up for auction at any semblance of a reasonable price. Got this one for $36.

Ji-L87

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/14/2013, 01:12 AMIt's here! And completely immaculate. Now I just need a Laserdisc player...

IMG
Awesome. They could've done with a better cover though, instead of just another screencap, seeing as the official artwork to OutRun, even to this day IMO, is badass. :mrgreen:

Is it just a superplay or are there some extras on there?
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

esadajr

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/14/2013, 01:12 AMIt's here! And completely immaculate. Now I just need a Laserdisc player...

IMG
Is this for play on any laserdisc or just the Laser Active?
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Thanks to BMW, I snagged copies of Ai Cho Aniki, Alzadick - Summer Carnival '92, and Hellfire S.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

jeffhlewis

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 05/15/2013, 03:27 AMAwesome. They could've done with a better cover though, instead of just another screencap, seeing as the official artwork to OutRun, even to this day IMO, is badass. :mrgreen:
Agreed...typical Pony Canyon cheapness.

Quote from: Ji-L87 on 05/15/2013, 03:27 AMIs it just a superplay or are there some extras on there?
I believe there are some extras on it, but I won't know until I play it. Couldn't find a video of it on YouTube (Retro Realities' YouTube channel has a bunch of these long play discs you can watch in their entirety).

Quote from: esadajr on 05/15/2013, 09:25 AMIs this for play on any laserdisc or just the Laser Active?
It's for any LD player. There isn't really anything interactive on these discs.

PunkCryborg

Got some sweet stuff from Turbografxfan via BMW, thanks guys!
/img0431800x533.jpg
/img0430800x533.jpg
/img0429800x533.jpg

Mathius

T-Fan? Is he getting out of the PCE scene?

Sparky

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 05/15/2013, 11:36 AMGot some sweet stuff from Turbografxfan via BMW, thanks guys!
you lucky bitch, even with there sleeves!!!

jeffhlewis

Shit, I just won Crisis Force CIB for the Famicom by accident. Didn't think my bid would even be close to enough at the end. I'm done buying for the week!

RoyVegas

Quote from: jeffhlewis on 05/15/2013, 02:40 PMShit, I just won Crisis Force CIB for the Famicom by accident. Didn't think my bid would even be close to enough at the end. I'm done buying for the week!
I giggled at this.  I've done this several times, thrown in a bid you thought was dirt cheap and where you never think you have a shot at winning, yet you do. Although pleased at the good bargain, you think to yourself "shit, I really didn't think it would sell that cheap"!
All is well. :)

Mishran

Just bought a new soldering iron to replace the one that recently died. Gonna pick up a couple of 40 pin sockets at the local part shop to install into my AES and Neo CD front loader for when I can pick up a UniBIOS for the AES and a Debug chip for the CD. Already got the AES BIOS out. It's what killed my old soldering iron. :P

bob

Thrifting...

dotsandloops.com/turbo/swii.jpg

Also grabbed this last night.  It's a dupe for me, but thought the price was right.  It will make a good bargaining chip at my local flea market.

FiftyQuid

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

whisper2053

Working on expanding my home arcade collection :)

/imag0088vs.jpg
IMG
My Retro Gaming Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/whisper2053

PCEngineHell

Quote from: whisper2053 on 05/16/2013, 05:06 PMWorking on expanding my home arcade collection :)

/imag0088vs.jpg
With bootlegs?

whisper2053

Who cares?

I bought them with the full understanding of what they were, as well the full understanding that a bootleg plays in my system (in this particular case) just as well as a non-boot. They work, I can play the games. What difference does it make to you if they are not VGA-sealed-forever-in-a-plastic-box-on-a-shelf worthy?

Edit: Wow, that came off awful dickish. Had a bad day and that just was terrible. Still, the point is, I bought them to play. Boots suffice just fine man, that's all I need.
IMG

LameKat

I'm with you, my slug 3 and 5, super dodgeball, and drift out share the same qualities. They work and they were cheap.

jperryss

Finally caved and pulled the trigger on an $80 BIN (free ship) for this one.

/2013-05-16%2019.15.24.jpg

Bardoly

Quote from: jperryss on 05/16/2013, 07:17 PMFinally caved and pulled the trigger on an $80 BIN (free ship) for this one.

/2013-05-16%2019.15.24.jpg
It's an awesome game, and it was worth every penny!

Bardoly

Some odds and ends from Psycho Spenoza.

/img4896x.jpg
/img4898m.jpg

PCEngineHell

Quote from: whisper2053 on 05/16/2013, 05:36 PMWho cares?

I bought them with the full understanding of what they were, as well the full understanding that a bootleg plays in my system (in this particular case) just as well as a non-boot. They work, I can play the games. What difference does it make to you if they are not VGA-sealed-forever-in-a-plastic-box-on-a-shelf worthy?

Edit: Wow, that came off awful dickish. Had a bad day and that just was terrible. Still, the point is, I bought them to play. Boots suffice just fine man, that's all I need.
Well yeah that was pretty retarded and overly defensive. I'm the guy raffling away a Sapphire boot, you think I care about the morals of you buying the stuff? The main reason why I asked was because the Atomiswave bootleg stuff last I heard was buggy as fuck all. Unless the bootleggers ironed out all the bugs I don't see why anyone would want to drop serious money down on the stuff yet.

PunkCryborg

I've only heard of one or two minor graphical glitches in the Atomiswave boots. I have a couple and they play perfectly.

whisper2053

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 05/16/2013, 09:00 PM
Quote from: whisper2053 on 05/16/2013, 05:36 PMWho cares?

Well yeah that was pretty retarded and overly defensive. I'm the guy raffling away a Sapphire boot, you think I care about the morals of you buying the stuff? The main reason why I asked was because the Atomiswave bootleg stuff last I heard was buggy as fuck all. Unless the bootleggers ironed out all the bugs I don't see why anyone would want to drop serious money down on the stuff yet.
Ugh. An attack of stupid AND overly tired...batting 1.000 here. Lol, not only did I come across as an utter jerk before, I also completely missed the main point/question you were trying to make/ask. Sigh. Lesson to me, I suppose.

Now that I am more awake and less 'just coming from work', I  can address the concerns you brought up a bit better. Like Punkic said, the few issues that do come up nowadays are actually relatively minor. I have seen a couple of the mentioned graphical glitches, and I think I recall a sound oddity in the copy of Neowave I last played, but that was about it. As for big money...not going to happen. When I come at games purely from the angle of purchasing for gaming use, I tend to look for gaming price as well. On that note, I do not believe that any of those cost me more than $40 or $50 + shipping, with several being a bit less than that. I can easily stomach pricepoints at that level for boots as long as they are still reasonably close to the originals, which most AW carts seem to be.  Hope this answered any concerns you had, and again, my apologies for the previous post.
IMG

SmaMan

On a slightly related matter, whisper, I assume you use some kind of SuperGun to play these? If so, where did you get yours or where would you reccomend someone like me to find one?
Host of KACU FM's Eye on Entertainment! Proving that there IS something to do this weekend since 2009.
http://kacu.org/programs/eye-entertainment

whisper2053

Quote from: SmaMan on 05/17/2013, 05:40 AMOn a slightly related matter, whisper, I assume you use some kind of SuperGun to play these? If so, where did you get yours or where would you reccomend someone like me to find one?
No to the SuperGun, actually. I tend to be an odd bird when it comes to what goes on the shelf space under my tv and SG's just bug me for some reason, so I have gone for full consolized systems. They cost more, of course, but my wires-and-componenents-in-their-place OCD is appeased. If you are interested in acquiring an SG (or a consolized system), you could do far, far worse than checking in with James over at http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/ His quality is top notch, and he will definitely steer you in the right direction based on your actual needs.
IMG

bob

Quote from: Bardoly on 05/16/2013, 07:35 PMSome odds and ends from Psycho Spenoza.

/img4896x.jpg
/img4898m.jpg
I LOVE the GC GBA player. Gave a breath of new life to my GBA games.

whisper2053

Sexy stuff! Agreed on the gba player too, definitely a super cool addition to the GC's arsenal. Also, how is 3x3 Eyes? I had often wondered about that one.
IMG

GohanX

How much are Atomiswave boots? Atomiswave systems aren't that expensive, and I really liked Dolphin Blue.

PunkCryborg

Quote from: JKM on 05/17/2013, 03:01 PMHow much are Atomiswave boots? Atomiswave systems aren't that expensive, and I really liked Dolphin Blue.
about $40 each, best option though is to buy the set of 11 games from aliexpress

GohanX

Wow, those prices are nice. An Atomiswave may be in my future...

turbokon

Quote from: galam on 05/15/2013, 08:08 PMThrifting...

/swii.jpg

Also grabbed this last night.  It's a dupe for me, but thought the price was right.  It will make a good bargaining chip at my local flea market.
Awesome.  I haven't much luck at thrift shops here in Pooler, GA.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com