RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Elements of a PCE Beat 'em up

Started by Nando, 08/12/2013, 10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

I've been playing some Beat 'em ups lately; mostly CPS2 stuff and it got me wondering, what ideal elements should a PCE beat 'em up game have?

I haven't played Double Dragon on the system but I have played Riot City and River City...

Arkhan Asylum

Tight controls, interesting characters, 3D movement, tits.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

Tits!  #1 reason most characters in beat 'em ups go forward!
IMG
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nando

Quoteapril is such a whore.
The typical bitch, using teenage boys to get her news stories, knowing full well she will never give it up to the boys. She just don't cut 'em no slack.  ;)

On the tight controls issue. It took me a bit to get used to Armored Warriors control scheme. I'm very much into it now, yet I still prefer the burly guy/hot chick walk and sock 'em approach.

Arkhan Asylum

yeah right, donatello jams his bo up her ass every night while Raphael cries in the corner because noone likes his shitty weapons.

exodus

wow, this thread quickly turned into a place I never want to be.

y'all could maybe grow up a little.

jlued686

Nando

Quote from: exodus on 08/12/2013, 02:38 PMwow, this thread quickly turned into a place I never want to be.

IMG

;)

JoshTurboTrollX

I wish we had more beat 'em ups on the Turbob/PCE.... Even some generic Genesis games like POW or even Two Crude Dudes or something....

Also, I believe Exodus has been around for some time.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: exodus on 08/12/2013, 02:38 PMwow, this thread quickly turned into a place I never want to be.

Awww.  Dry those tears, buttercup.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/12/2013, 04:11 PMI wish we had more beat 'em ups on the Turbob/PCE.... Even some generic Genesis games like POW or even Two Crude Dudes or something....

Also, I believe Exodus has been around for some time.
Hack N Slash and Beat 'em ups were for sure better represented in the other consoles. Hopefully some sort of Homebrew effort will help those gaps in the near to long term future :mrgreen:

;) again for Exodus

Arkhan Asylum

It's hard to grow up when we're talking about Ninja Turtles and video games. 

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 08/12/2013, 05:53 PM
Better than Battletoads. Or worse the ill fated cartoon pilot.

It's hard to grow up when we're talking about Ninja Turtles and video games. 

CrackTiger

What I've always thought would be perfect for a beat 'em up, is an ACD game with a unique sprite for every enemy. Maybe a couple guards or a group in military gear now and then would look the same. Perhaps the unique enemies could be cobbled together by a decent assortment of torso, arms, legs and just have entirely unique heads, in order to keep enough memory for stunning backgrounds.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

exodus

as the person who wrote this, I'm gonna peace out of these forums for a while. any woman looking at this thread would instantly know she's not welcome. have fun with that!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173227/

Nando

Quote from: guest on 08/12/2013, 08:13 PMWhat I've always thought would be perfect for a beat 'em up, is an ACD game with a unique sprite for every enemy. Maybe a couple guards or a group in military gear now and then would look the same. Perhaps the unique enemies could be cobbled together by a decent assortment of torso, arms, legs and just have entirely unique heads, in order to keep enough memory for stunning backgrounds.
Would that allow one to show cosmetic changes like armor upgrades and what not?

bob

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/12/2013, 04:11 PMEven some generic Genesis games like POW or even Two Crude Dudes or something....
Wait, is there a POW port for genny?

Gillian Seed

4-player, RPG, street fighter moves, loot that you fight over, multiple paths, lots of environmental weapons, Double Dragon Neon-like soundtrack.

I think I might be asking too much from the PCE though :P

Nando

Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/12/2013, 10:38 PM4-player, RPG, street fighter moves, loot that you fight over, multiple paths, lots of environmental weapons, Double Dragon Neon-like soundtrack.

Are you?

For me, the standard would be Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Those, I think, could be done on the PCE.

Design wise, one could copy/adapt the play mechanics of most of Capcom's beat 'em ups and be in pretty good starting shape.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: galam on 08/12/2013, 09:43 PM
Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 08/12/2013, 04:11 PMEven some generic Genesis games like POW or even Two Crude Dudes or something....
Wait, is there a POW port for genny?
No, I don't think so- but I seem to remember something like "G.R.O.W.L." or some brawler that was some mindless fun...  wish we had more of that in OBEYland

Quote from: exodus on 08/12/2013, 08:53 PMas the person who wrote this, I'm gonna peace out of these forums for a while. any woman looking at this thread would instantly know she's not welcome. have fun with that!

exodus, I think that's jumping the gun a bit-  I know of one (perhaps more?) female poster on this forum that would simply know when someone is joking and I would consider them to be pretty good friends even after sharing a few forum jabs at one another.

Where did that "Game of the Week Club" thread go anyway?  :P
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bob

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16exodus, I think that's jumping the gun a bit-  I know of one (perhaps more?) female poster on this forum that would simply know when someone is joking and I would consider them to be pretty good friends even after sharing a few forum jabs at one another.

Where did that "Game of the Week Club" thread go anyway?  :P
I wouldnt bother responding to him.  He clearly "peaced out".
Besides, i feel like that link was trying to cleanse this place or something.  That was one of the most horrible pieces of shit i have ever read half of.

TITS!

Gillian Seed

Quote from: Nando on 08/13/2013, 08:48 AM
Quote from: Gillian Seed on 08/12/2013, 10:38 PM4-player, RPG, street fighter moves, loot that you fight over, multiple paths, lots of environmental weapons, Double Dragon Neon-like soundtrack.

Are you?
I don't know. I assume a 4-player beat em' up would be very demanding of any system from the time, and to correct myself it should be a 5-player game :P

OldRover

A PCE brawler is more constricted by sprite size than inputs. A four-player brawler with Riot Zone sized sprites on the PCE is impossible even on the SGX just due to the sheer number of pixels being thrown around; Riot City would become Flicker City and it wouldn't be any fun to play. Make the sprites small (say, 32x32 sprite blocks) and a four-player brawler is perfectly doable.

And boobs. I don't care who doesn't like it. Boobs. Fuck the manginas and Anita Sarkesians of the world.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 08/13/2013, 10:21 AMAnd boobs. I don't care who doesn't like it. Boobs. Fuck the manginas and Anita Sarkesians of the world.
Amen.  Besides, male protagonists are treated similarly as hulking beefcakes with skin tight clothes or in a loin cloth and topless, yet zero fucks are given.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: OldRover on 08/13/2013, 10:21 AMA PCE brawler is more constricted by sprite size than inputs. A four-player brawler with Riot Zone sized sprites on the PCE is impossible even on the SGX just due to the sheer number of pixels being thrown around; Riot City would become Flicker City and it wouldn't be any fun to play. Make the sprites small (say, 32x32 sprite blocks) and a four-player brawler is perfectly doable.

And boobs. I don't care who doesn't like it. Boobs. Fuck the manginas and Anita Sarkesians of the world.
Next project!  Sign me up for voice acting!!

*TWISTER!*

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: exodus on 08/12/2013, 08:53 PMas the person who wrote this, I'm gonna peace out of these forums for a while. any woman looking at this thread would instantly know she's not welcome. have fun with that!

On the contrary, my girlfriend laughed at me posting about Donatello jamming his bo staff up April's ass.  She said that is what she gets for teasing the poor, dickless TMNTs with her reporter outfit that's never buttoned.

Don't you think it's a bit sexist to think all females are politically correct pansies that are afraid of anything that isn't toddler friendly?

That whole female-game-argument is retarded.

Females are misrepresented:  Uh, they've had Samus Aran representing females since the 80s.  She's one of the best protagonists ever made.
Roberta Williams:  Duhr.  Games.
Boobies/Skimpy outfits:  Ever walk outside?  Some chicks dress skimpy.  They cosplay with their tits out.  They pose for facebook photos with their racks sticking out and angled down.
Some chicks play shooters, enjoy killing stuff, blowing stuff up, swearing, and Tomb Raider.

also, believe it or not, when you're exerting yourself, you often sound like you're giving or receiving some kind of sexual thing.   It's probably hard to believe for someone who's never done anything but write poorly thought out, accusatory articles on the internet.

I want to be Lara Croft.    She can swan dive off 300 foot tall cliffs with perfect precision, and backflip while shooting dinosaurs with double-glocks.  So what if she's stacked and wears tight clothes.   Not all females are flat chested.   If you've got huge boobs, everyone's going to know unless you wear a tent for a shirt.  Would you rather she wear drapey clothes so she has no freedom of movement and gets her tarpy pants caught in a trap as shes trying to run through a room?   That'd be cool.

Person 1: "How'd Lara die?" 

Person 2:"Oh, well, her pant leg got caught on this swinging blade trap and she got flung into a wall and fell 700 feet to her death!"

Person 1: "Well, why was she wearing dangly clothes?  Why wasn't she wearing something made for movement, like tight pants or shorts?"

Person 2: "Because some pussies on the internet might take offense if you can see her legs."

Way to see the entire thing from one shitty, rose tinted glasses point of view.  You don't seem to understand that there are a lot of females who disagree with your article and think the entire problem is only a problem because some crybabies said it is.  So, you're basically trying to convince the people you're trying to protect that there is something wrong.   Good luck with that.

Kinda ironic that your name is exodus. 

OldRover

People who bitch about women in video games need a more relevant hobby. If you don't like how it works, make something different. The rest of us aren't going to bend to your hypersensitive bitchfest. If I wanna make a game with ten chicks with massive naked tits, I'm going to, and there's not a fuck in the world anyone can do about it. Don't like it? Don't play it or buy it. My art won't be stifled by your puritanical bullshit. I like boobs and butts in my video games, and I don't care about your opinion.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

They already made Pia Carrot, dude.

lolol

Gillian Seed

I don't really agree with either side. I think it's okay when it's just harmless jokes, but I also think it's fair to criticize the portrayal of most women in video games.

Less fighting, more talking about the 4 or 5-player PCE game Old Rover is going to make :P

OldRover

They can criticize all they want... if it sells, it's what gets made. It's obviously what people want, or else we'd all be buying games with flat-chested chicks in summer dresses... oh wait, they would criticize that too. There's no pleasing these fucktards. Hey... that's why we do whatever we fucking want to do. :)

Four-player chick slugfest ftw. For teh PCE. Fuck yeah. :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 08/13/2013, 01:25 PMgames with flat-chested chicks in summer dresses...
She's in every dating sim, dude!

SignOfZeta

I think if Exodus hung out here more he'd realize that all that nasty middle school shit you guys posted wasn't so much sexist or misogynist as much as it was just crude and idiotic.

You guys aren't bad, you're just socially retarded animals not fit to integrate into regular society. :)
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/14/2013, 12:18 PMI think if Exodus hung out here more he'd realize that all that nasty middle school shit you guys posted wasn't so much sexist or misogynist as much as it was just crude and idiotic.

You guys aren't bad, you're just socially retarded animals not fit to integrate into regular society. :)
Society is retarded.  Fuck that crap!

Nando

Nando

Next would be the setting!

Fantasy
Futuristic
Current - Riot City, RC Ramson, Double Dragons

I like the fantasy setting, but that's just cause I've been geeking out on D&D and Knights of the Round. A futuristic one could be cool, but I'd go more along the Konami route for characters and overall crazy tone of the beat 'em up. Maybe.

Gillian Seed

TheClash603

1.)  I like seeing life bars with fun character names.  Final Fight was awesome, because every enemy was a character.

2.)  I love my game to be in an urban slum.

3.)  Weapons are awesome.  More pick ups = better.

4.)  Branching paths.

5.)  Bonus stages.

6.)  Multiple characters w/ some unlockable that join as you go and you switch between stages.

7.)  Nevermind this tit stuff, I want to look at some cunts.

VestCunt

Quote from: The Old Rover on 08/13/2013, 01:25 PMThey can criticize all they want... if it sells, it's what gets made. It's obviously what people want, or else we'd all be buying games with flat-chested chicks in summer dresses... oh wait, they would criticize that too. There's no pleasing these fucktards. Hey... that's why we do whatever we fucking want to do. :)

Four-player chick slugfest ftw. For teh PCE. Fuck yeah. :lol:
I don't care about video game imagery and Exodus is overly sensitive because he doesn't know us, but we'd do well to tone down the sexist bullshit around here.

Knowing good 'ol irreverent Arkhan is actually a well-adjusted human being, we can laugh at his jokes, but the problem with the internet is there's always some creep like Xray lurking around who feeds on sexist/racist/homophobic sarcasm and takes it one step further.

With violence against women escalating all over the planet, rape in the news everyday, and an endless parade of right-wing politicians blaming the victims, I'm ready to draw the line when I hear "bitch" and "whore."

Thoughts become our words and words become our actions. Obviously, a person has to make a lot of wrong turns before they go out and rape someone, but there's no doubt they spend a long time dehumanizing women in their words and on the internet first. Let's show some goddamn sensitivity and not encourage them.
Topic Adjourned.

SignOfZeta

QuoteWith violence against women escalating all over the planet,
This, thankfully, isn't even close to true. There was a time when 1/4 of the population of Virginia was female slave. How much raping and violence do you think was happening back then compared to now?

I do agree with your basic sentiment. The whole "we are all socially elevated so we can act like chauvinist cavemen" thing is tired as shit. Some call it "hipster racism/sexism".
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Anyone who calls it hipster racism/sexism should really learn what the word "hipster" means before putting it in front of basically anything in an attempt to make the thing seem lame.

Also, I ain't toning shit down.   It's not racism/sexism when you also make comments about being a homo and loving dick. 

bob

Quote... learn what the word "hipster" means before putting it in front of basically anything in an attempt to make the thing seem lame.
AMEN, brother!
Its funny when hipsters use the word hipster in a negative fashion.

SignOfZeta

"Hipster racism" is literally the most perfect word I can think of to describe what I'm talking about. This ironically detached "post-everything" attitude where nothing anywhere in human history deserves respect. Its a place where David Lee Roth and MLK have something in common; they exist purely to me mocked, like everything else.

Spoiled punks who think that because Wikpedia exists they can know everything and know that everything deserves to be mocked. However, since we're talking about privileged American white bratts who haven't lived large or long enough to ever experince...basically anything in their lives, they really don't know anything except what they've read or saw on Youtube and haven't earned the right to be above jack shit.

http://meloukhia.net/2009/07/hipster_racism.html
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/15/2013, 02:58 PM"Hipster racism" is literally the most perfect word I can think of to describe what I'm talking about. This ironically detached "post-everything" attitude where nothing anywhere in human history deserves respect. Its a place where David Lee Roth and MLK have something in common; they exist purely to me mocked, like everything else.
and apparently, Ninja Turtles.   Nothing like offending pretend characters.

QuoteSpoiled punks who think that because Wikpedia exists they can know everything and know that everything deserves to be mocked. However, since we're talking about privileged American white bratts who haven't lived large or long enough to ever experince...basically anything in their lives, they really don't know anything except what they've read or saw on Youtube and haven't earned the right to be above jack shit.
http://meloukhia.net/2009/07/hipster_racism.html
I am not sure this is quite the reason for what you're accusing people of.

Also, your assumption that everyone doing it is a white youth really defeats the purpose of what you're stating.  Unless the best way to counter this supposed hipster racism is to use racial/social class profiling.

So what is it called when you're white and you exchange racist jokes with a black person?   Do the hipster racisms cancel either out?

and what's it called when you have old people doing it?  and adults?  and people who were there?

I didn't know you had to earn the right to make stupid comments/jokes.

Nando

A HIPSTER beat 'em up in a post-industrial or Techno-scavenger society, setting! Can you imagine all the mainstream media things one could add in the backgrounds and all the obscure references one could make to gaming history??

edit: the enemies are dressed like hipsters and bros.

Nando

Characters:

Arkface as the US player
Tatsu as the Giant Gaijin with soft JP zen like tendencies
Some tough hot looking chick for the fan service. Pic yer Archetype from any number of Vs games.
An "ALIEN" stranded on planet dump earth

hmm what else?

bob

Nobody "earns" the right to be above anybody else.  People just seem to "think" they are above/below another individual for some reason.

Everybody was born naked and crying.  Whoever wrote that article may have gotten dressed, but still sounds like crying.  Who is anybody to define what is humorous to anyone else?
Hipster racism is a dumb term.   Doesnt mean anything.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: galam on 08/15/2013, 03:21 PMNobody "earns" the right to be above anybody else.  People just seem to "think" they are above/below another individual for some reason.

Everybody was born naked and crying.  Whoever wrote that article may have gotten dressed, but still sounds like crying.  Who is anybody to define what is humorous to anyone else?
Hipster racism is a dumb term.   Doesnt mean anything.
one of the funniest times I ever had was exchanging racist jokes with a black dude on a bus to school.   He really liked when I told him how you circumsize a redneck.

You uppercut his sister.

roflmao

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/15/2013, 03:50 PMone of the funniest times I ever had was exchanging racist jokes with a black dude on a bus to school.   He really liked when I told him how you circumsize a redneck.

You uppercut his sister.
Lol! I instantly thought of this Jane's Addiction/Bodycount song (originally by Sly and the Family Stone)

spenoza

Quote from: galam on 08/13/2013, 09:56 AMBesides, i feel like that link was trying to cleanse this place or something.  That was one of the most horrible pieces of shit i have ever read half of.
It was actually a very well-written and researched piece. The Male Gaze is a well-recognized theory in creative and artistic fields that's even been applied to traditional painting and sculpture. Besides, he's not asserting that every bit of boob and butt is somehow verboten. It is more about the omnipresence and pervasiveness of a kind of subconscious sexism.

Disagree with his argument, fine, but the article is a pretty good one, whether you agree or not.

I also love the whole "I know a woman who agrees with me!" thing that happens whenever gender or sexism or whatever comes up on this forum. I make this mistake sometimes, too, but that doesn't mean it actually counts for anything.

It is a little odd that he'd point to his article as having anything to do with his discomfort with the direction the thread was going, though. I mean, I guess it's related, but coupling self-promotion with "change your evil ways" is never a good recipe. I always prefer "change your evil ways because I say so and I'm right, dammit!"