Batman

Started by Joe Redifer, 02/12/2007, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

I just bought this complete for $10 I think down at the local PC Engine SuperStore on the corner.  Even though the graphics are completely laughable, I enjoy the game a lot.  The music is really cool as well.  I have a couple of questions about the game.

#1 - Is there any form of sound test in the game?  I don't want an HES file or something from a lame-o emulator.

#3 - What is up with the constantly alternating "WALK" / "DON'T WALK" signs?  The cars keep a-comin' even when it says it is OK to walk.

#7 - Why aren't there any digitized pictures of Viki Vale?

#2 - How many god damned stages are there?

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/12/2007, 10:39 AMI just bought this complete for $10 I think down at the local PC Engine SuperStore on the corner.  Even though the graphics are completely laughable, I enjoy the game a lot.  The music is really cool as well.  I have a couple of questions about the game.
Graphics ain't bad, the colouring is pretty nice and the cut scenes are great.

Quote from: Joe Redifer#1 - Is there any form of sound test in the game?  I don't want an HES file or something from a lame-o emulator.
No, but you could try humming the tunes to yourself and recording them on cassette tape for a similar effect.

Quote from: Joe Redifer#3 - What is up with the constantly alternating "WALK" / "DON'T WALK" signs?  The cars keep a-comin' even when it says it is OK to walk.
That coz they are the Joker's evil henchmen and they have no respect for the laws of the road.

Quote from: Joe Redifer#7 - Why aren't there any digitized pictures of Viki Vale?
Because she was deemed too annoying to appear in the game.

Quote from: Joe Redifer#2 - How many god damned stages are there?
All of them.

termis

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/12/2007, 10:39 AM#3 - What is up with the constantly alternating "WALK" / "DON'T WALK" signs?  The cars keep a-comin' even when it says it is OK to walk.
Maybe it's not really Gotham city but China.  If you ever wanna play real life-frogger, check out China... hoooly fuck...

Keranu

Nice to see that this game is getting some love :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Hmmmm... I don't know why I never thought of humming the tunes.  And I haven't made it to a cut scene yet... just to Gotham City Stage 473,465.

I love Sunsoft music back in the days of Blaster Master and Batman for the NES/PCE/Mega Drive.  Great stuff.  I should probably get NES Batman.... I hear it's worthwhile.

Joe Redifer

Well I've played this game some more and, well, it's pretty repetitive.  There's like 90 billion stages in each section.  The first section I am running around picking up litter in Gotham City.  Then I go to Fluegelheim Museum which has 10 trillion identical paintings that I need to clean.  The museum is designed in such a way that patrons must teleport to special rooms with no doors in order to see the paintings.  There are at least 50 billion of these rooms.  One thing there isn't billions of are enemy designs.  Or music tracks.  Or settings.  I also do not like how it takes 20 minutes for your batarang to return to you when you throw it, and for some reason Batman is paralyzed in fear and cannot move until his batarang returns to him, which leads him vulnerable.  You can also meet an instant death when you teleport and an enemy walks into you as you rematerialize (walking into Batman is enough to destroy him in this game). 

I like the Genesis Batman better.  At least I can fight violent criminals and bring justice to the city while I triumph over evil instead of spending the day worrying about litterbugs and vandals.  And it's more fun, has more great music and even a few cool graphics here and there.  Oh well, I don't regret buying this, though.

Keranu

It's definitely worth purchasing for the soundtrack alone. It's too bad the real version of this game got canned, it looked a lot cooler :( .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

OK I'll bite.

REAL version?????

Keranu

IMG

Joe Redifer

Goddammit!  I want my hot Batman action!

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

Yup, it's a pisser, ain't it.
IMG

Seldane

The original NES Batman is nice. Is this one anything like it?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 02/16/2007, 10:09 PMThe original NES Batman is nice. Is this one anything like it?
You mean the one that was officially released for PCE or the original project that got canned? The one that was released is nothing like the NES one, instead it's kinda like Pac-Man except with the ability to throw a batwing. The one that got canned looks to be a platform game similar to the NES one.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Isn't the music on the NES version similar to the PCE's Batman music?  I know the Mega Drive had it's own exclusive music.

Spector

The Batman version for the PCE does look odd compared to the others, but I think we should be glad that the PC Engine got something other than yet another platform game with 5 levels, five end of level bosses and all the other tired cliches.
You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

Seldane

Quote from: Spector on 02/17/2007, 03:42 AMThe Batman version for the PCE does look odd compared to the others, but I think we should be glad that the PC Engine got something other than yet another platform game with 5 levels, five end of level bosses and all the other tired cliches.
Yeah. I agree. Instead of getting that - we got crap!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

cho_aniki

Since we are discussing Batman, does anyone here know the different level passwords for the game?  I played it a few months ago and got to the chemical factory level, and today I realised I don't have a password to start there again.  The game is very long, too long to finish in one sitting, at least for my taste.

Keranu

Quote from: cho_aniki on 02/18/2007, 01:42 PMSince we are discussing Batman, does anyone here know the different level passwords for the game?  I played it a few months ago and got to the chemical factory level, and today I realised I don't have a password to start there again.  The game is very long, too long to finish in one sitting, at least for my taste.
Dude, I don't think anyone has beaten this game in one sitting :D .
IMG

cho_aniki

Have you beaten it Keranu?  How many levels does this game have?

Keranu

I haven't beaten it, I've only played up the part when you're in the museum cleaning up paintings. I imagine there are approximately 292,807,346 levels.
IMG

nat

Quote from: Keranu on 02/18/2007, 02:31 PMI imagine there are approximately 292,807,346 levels.
HAhaha.  :lol:

I have to get a copy of this game.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/17/2007, 01:38 AMIsn't the music on the NES version similar to the PCE's Batman music?  I know the Mega Drive had it's own exclusive music.
Yeah, it is.  Atleast one song in this game, is the same song for the first level of Batman for NES.  Which happens to be, for me, a classic song!
IMG

Odonadon

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/18/2007, 05:19 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/17/2007, 01:38 AMIsn't the music on the NES version similar to the PCE's Batman music?  I know the Mega Drive had it's own exclusive music.
Yeah, it is.  Atleast one song in this game, is the same song for the first level of Batman for NES.  Which happens to be, for me, a classic song!
I didn't know that, that's awesome!  I'll have to give Batman a serious try to see if I can get to that song :)

OD

Joe Redifer

It's like the second song in the PCE game I think.  You'll have to get to stage 4, which takes about 5 minutes, if that.

_Paul

If you want to skip levels, just maniacally wobble the d-pad around while pushing the button on the password screen. Eventually you'll get one pop up. I actually had the final level come up by doing this once.

Odonadon

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/19/2007, 01:47 AMIt's like the second song in the PCE game I think.  You'll have to get to stage 4, which takes about 5 minutes, if that.
5 minutes... not sure if I could do it but I'll give it a shot.  I really do hate this game :)

OD

_Paul

Quote from: Odonadon on 02/19/2007, 02:02 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/19/2007, 01:47 AMIt's like the second song in the PCE game I think.  You'll have to get to stage 4, which takes about 5 minutes, if that.
5 minutes... not sure if I could do it but I'll give it a shot.  I really do hate this game :)

OD
Less painful to d/l the HES file 8)

Odonadon

Quote from: guest on 02/19/2007, 02:27 PMLess painful to d/l the HES file 8)
Good point, and in my efforts to rip the music to MP3s I discovered I already had many years ago :)  Forgot about the ol' Turbo2k thing.  One smart cookie over here.... :)

OD

torgo

I beat on one sitting back when I got the game in the early 90's. I was so disappointed with the Batman game for the MegaDrive (yup, I imported it, and beat it on my first sitting,) but I really enjoyed the PCE game. It kept my interest throughout the entire game.
PS Nation

Kaminari

I seem to remember there are 12 stages per level, and 4 levels in all. You do the math.

Like most platformers of the time, I personally think the "canned" version wouldn't have aged very well. What we have instead is a puzzle game that still stands the test of time, providing that you enjoy the concept (yeah, I'm one of those freaks).

ccovell

I felt like playing this game last night, and surprisingly enough, I played it all the way through in one sitting.  It's not that tough -- after getting used to the enemy patterns, it all comes down to getting your timing and positioning right.  I would NOT call it a puzzle game at all; it is an action/maze game, with the same type of enemy dodging and item collecting as Cratermaze/Doraemon/Booby Kids.

IMG IMG

If the stages and enemies get a bit tough, all you have to do is kill lots of enemies so that the extra lives rack up.  Batman is incredibly generous with extra lives, and it is this which makes the game quite easy, really.  The final bosses also have very simple patterns, so if you show up to the Cathedral with enough power-ups, they'll all be pushovers.  I found myself having fun in Batman, without even realizing why.  :)

Anyway, I also took lots of screenshots of the great cinemas in Batman, so take a look near the bottom of this page to see them: chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

peperocket

Great, thank you Chris for this screenshots !! =D>
Vive la Supergrafx !!!

Keranu

Quote from: ccovell on 02/25/2007, 08:46 AMAnyway, I also took lots of screenshots of the great cinemas in Batman, so take a look near the bottom of this page to see them: chrismcovell.com/gamesillust.html
Thanks a lot for those screenshots, those cinemas look awesome! Hey do you mind if I borrow some of those in the future to add to my Pixaletted Celebrities page?
IMG

esadajr

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/12/2007, 07:51 PMI should probably get NES Batman.... I hear it's worthwhile.
just don't get Return of the Joker.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

I just got this PCE version. I haven't played it much, it is fun in its own way.
Gaming since 1985

soop

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen this thread.  I wonder what other hidden gems there are from years before I even joined.

I guess I'll find out soon enough :)
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

CrackTiger

Quote from: soop on 07/26/2012, 12:15 PMWow, I don't think I've ever seen this thread.  I wonder what other hidden gems there are from years before I even joined.

I guess I'll find out soon enough :)
Have you tried Gekisha Boy, Splash Lake, Benkei Gaiden, Final Lap Twin, Vasteel, Download, Psychic Storm, Blood Gear or Kiaiaden 00?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

I just re-read this thread and remembered how amusing Joe can be when he plays some PCE/TG-16 games and writes about them :pcgs::

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/13/2007, 02:12 AMWell I've played this game some more and, well, it's pretty repetitive.  There's like 90 billion stages in each section.  The first section I am running around picking up litter in Gotham City.  Then I go to Fluegelheim Museum which has 10 trillion identical paintings that I need to clean.  The museum is designed in such a way that patrons must teleport to special rooms with no doors in order to see the paintings.  There are at least 50 billion of these rooms.  One thing there isn't billions of are enemy designs.  Or music tracks.  Or settings.  I also do not like how it takes 20 minutes for your batarang to return to you when you throw it, and for some reason Batman is paralyzed in fear and cannot move until his batarang returns to him, which leads him vulnerable.  You can also meet an instant death when you teleport and an enemy walks into you as you rematerialize (walking into Batman is enough to destroy him in this game). 

I like the Genesis Batman better.  At least I can fight violent criminals and bring justice to the city while I triumph over evil instead of spending the day worrying about litterbugs and vandals.  And it's more fun, has more great music and even a few cool graphics here and there.  Oh well, I don't regret buying this, though.
And for folks who never saw the original PCE Batmman plans, you MUST check this out:

Quote from: Keranu on 02/13/2007, 02:48 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/13/2007, 02:39 AMOK I'll bite.

REAL version?????
wayback://disgruntleddesigner.com/secrets10.html
chrismcovell.com/secret/PCE_1989Q3.html :)
UPDATE: Chris updated his site, here is the actual page... Batman Platformer on PCE (not Pacman w/ Batarang)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

soop

Quote from: esteban on 07/27/2012, 03:51 AMI just re-read this thread and remembered how amusing Joe can be when he plays some PCE/TG-16 games and writes about them :pcgs::

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/13/2007, 02:12 AMWell I've played this game some more and, well, it's pretty repetitive.  There's like 90 billion stages in each section.  The first section I am running around picking up litter in Gotham City.  Then I go to Fluegelheim Museum which has 10 trillion identical paintings that I need to clean.  The museum is designed in such a way that patrons must teleport to special rooms with no doors in order to see the paintings.  There are at least 50 billion of these rooms.  One thing there isn't billions of are enemy designs.  Or music tracks.  Or settings.  I also do not like how it takes 20 minutes for your batarang to return to you when you throw it, and for some reason Batman is paralyzed in fear and cannot move until his batarang returns to him, which leads him vulnerable.  You can also meet an instant death when you teleport and an enemy walks into you as you rematerialize (walking into Batman is enough to destroy him in this game). 

And for folks who never saw the original PCE Batmman plans, you MUST check this out:

Quote from: Keranu on 02/13/2007, 02:48 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/13/2007, 02:39 AMOK I'll bite.

REAL version?????
wayback://disgruntleddesigner.com/secrets10.html :)
UPDATE: Chris updated his site, here is the actual page... Batman Platformer on PCE (not Pacman w/ Batarang)
WOW O__O

And BT, I was making a remark about necroposting ;)
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!