@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo/PCE/Genesis/SNES RGB-to-YPbPr/Component Video Chip For Sale!

Started by turbokon, 06/14/2013, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technozombie

Awesome, yesterday I took my project Genesis apart and start taking some pictures. I'm looking forward to putting this together.

technozombie

Do you know where I can find a labeled pic of the Genesis encoder like the one of the SNES? Everything I find online is just the pic you posted since most people out there have been using RGB cables then going through a component converter. 

On a side note does anyone know where to purchase the male SNES multi plug?
A lot of websites recommend these rgb scart cables, they have to get the plugs from somewhere.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200948949594

turbokon

Here is the genesis model 1 encoder where I tapped RGB & sync from:

GenesisModel1EncoderRGBTap.jpg
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Zenimus

Just wanted to say, the component video quality on my Turbo Duo is spectacular! I'm using an XRGB Framemeister, and with Turbokon's board, the pixels are perfectly sharp.

Excellent work!

technozombie

Well I'm close to being finished but I'm having a problem

Hopefully the picture works, there is a some purple lines coming off of anything white, all other colors look good. Any ideas?

Once I get this solved I'm going to put together a guide for the Genesis, I've been taking a bunch of pictures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgVE6j9OyMTQTQyeU1jSFlxU0pKUzlZUFloaW1VbmpZMF93/edit?usp=sharing

turbokon

Hmmm, my genesis doesn't do that. Did you try tweaking the pots? Also could be the TV.

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

Here is my order of events:
I wired up the board, and adjusted POTS, everything looked good. I then wired up the audio,resistor for LED(on different 5v feed of course) and then hot glued everything so it would stay in place.

The purple goes away if I adjust until the white turns green, but of course all the colors are off. If the sync was off would that cause something like this?

technozombie

Turbo here is a guide, if you want more information or pictures or anything just let me know. It's my first time doing a mod like this and doing a guide also. I want it to be good.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgVE6j9OyMTQ0p2V005MnhSeXM/edit?usp=sharing

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

And here is the Snes guide, again if you don't like anything about it or feel its missing some info let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzgVE6j9OyMTX2Ewdlg3X2JpeGc/edit?usp=sharing

thesteve

A few points
The bleeding is from overdriving the Luma circuit
The color pots should be used to balance the white 2

turbokon

From my experience, here are best setting for the pots:

Genesis:
Rin=5.5kohm
Bin=5.28kohm
Yout=15ohm

SNES:
Rin=5.1kohm
Bin=4.5kohm
Yout=15ohm

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

The SNES looks great, the Genesis does too for that matter except for the bleeding. I took a break messing with it, to work on the SNES, I'll look back at it later. Thanks for the input.

thesteve

The pot settings are not system specific
They are board specific
So once the board is tuned it will be correct for any input.
Increasing the input resistance will reduce bleed 2

technozombie

I wonder if I let some solder overlap past the resistor, I'm new to this kind of stuff and have really learned a lot in taking on this project.

PCEngineHell

Don't have the patience to read through 8 pages, so just a simple question, have you tried these things on Jamma stuff, and MVS specifically?

turbokon

Nope professor, I don't have anything like that to try it on. I can send you a couple boards if you want to try it.

www.tg16pcemods.com

PCEngineHell

Quote from: turbokon on 12/13/2013, 09:07 AMNope professor, I don't have anything like that to try it on. I can send you a couple boards if you want to try it.
If you want you can send one and I can try it on a MVS then and let you know. Up to you.

darkgunsou86

technozombie

Quote from: darkgunsou86 on 12/15/2013, 12:25 AMhi did anyone test the board on a Nintendo 64?
I know that the N64 doesn't natively support RGB. With the proper modifications the board should work.

turbokon

You should be able to use the same modification to the component video board on the N64.

IMG

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

Quote from: turbokon on 12/16/2013, 07:39 AMYou should be able to use the same modification to the component video board on the N64.

IMG
Lol, after seeing that diagram and how simple it would be to put one of your boards in I'm tempted to do it, except I was never a fan of the N64, I do have a spare I bought at a yard sale for $5 though.

Sensato Kuro

I've tried the component board with a Genesis and I must say that this PCB gives incredible results!

I don't know if it is of any interest to any of you here but I'm actually trying to hook up the component board to different systems. Right now, I'm trying to do it with a Dreamcast. No success so far. I get a picture, but the colors are off and washed out. I'll update when I get better results.

I will eventually also try this with a Saturn and an N64.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 12/16/2013, 10:33 PMI've tried the component board with a Genesis and I must say that this PCB gives incredible results!

I don't know if it is of any interest to any of you here but I'm actually trying to hook up the component board to different systems. Right now, I'm trying to do it with a Dreamcast. No success so far. I get a picture, but the colors are off and washed out. I'll update when I get better results.

Why bother with the Dreamcast?  Just get the VGA outbox and enjoy much better grafx.  Also the Saturn has RGB out already so just a Scart lead and a scart converter.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 12/16/2013, 10:38 PMWhy bother with the Dreamcast?  Just get the VGA outbox and enjoy much better grafx.  Also the Saturn has RGB out already so just a Scart lead and a scart converter.
Somebody actually asked me to mod his Dreamcast with a component output because the TV he uses for gaming doesn't have a VGA input.

Also, some people prefer to have component right out of their systems instead of having to use an external RGB to component or HDMI converter/upscaler.

Besides, the PCE can rather easily be modded to output RGB and then be hooked to a converter/upscaler. Yet, people still find interest in the RGB to component mod...

darkgunsou86

Don't N64 need an amplifier circuit because the RGB signals is weak?
Is there any noticeable difference using a RGB cable on SNES and Genesis and modding them both with this component board?
Is the pic quality is better using the component board compared to using the consoles' native RGB cable output?

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: darkgunsou86 on 12/16/2013, 11:24 PMDon't N64 need an amplifier circuit because the RGB signals is weak?
Is there any noticeable difference using a RGB cable on SNES and Genesis and modding them both with this component board?
Is the pic quality is better using the component board compared to using the consoles' native RGB cable output?
Yeah, as far as I know, the N64's RGB does need to be amplified. The picture will be too dark if not amplified. there might be some models which do not need RGB amplification though, I'm not 100% sure about that.

I haven't done a side by side comparison but from what I've seen, I'd say that the component video quality with Turbokon's RGB to component PCB is as good as it gets. In the end, I believe that it all depends of what your setup is because the PCB will work only with a flat screen that has a component input that is 240p-compatible or a bulky CRT.

If you use an upscaler like the XRGB-3, I don't think there is any interest in converting the RGB signal to component before feeding it to the upscaler.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 12/16/2013, 10:48 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 12/16/2013, 10:38 PMWhy bother with the Dreamcast?  Just get the VGA outbox and enjoy much better grafx.  Also the Saturn has RGB out already so just a Scart lead and a scart converter.
Somebody actually asked me to mod his Dreamcast with a component output because the TV he uses for gaming doesn't have a VGA input.

Also, some people prefer to have component right out of their systems instead of having to use an external RGB to component or HDMI converter/upscaler.

Besides, the PCE can rather easily be modded to output RGB and then be hooked to a converter/upscaler. Yet, people still find interest in the RGB to component mod...
I'm sorry buddy I didn't mean to harp on your work.  I was hoping to have my DUO R Modded to component.  Right now is S-Video but my TV loves Component on these old machines.  Any chance on getting an NES to do component?  Like my top loader?
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

turbokon

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 12/16/2013, 10:33 PMI've tried the component board with a Genesis and I must say that this PCB gives incredible results!

Hey sensato glad you finally installed the boards. As for the dreamcast, may just need different resistors value at rgb input side to counter offset voltage. What values I don't know, thesteve will need to chime in.

www.tg16pcemods.com

technozombie

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 12/17/2013, 12:58 AMI'm sorry buddy I didn't mean to harp on your work.  I was hoping to have my DUO R Modded to component.  Right now is S-Video but my TV loves Component on these old machines.  Any chance on getting an NES to do component?  Like my top loader?
To RGB mod the Nes you had to purchase a playchoice board and put its PPU on the Nes. Someone is now making something to do the same thing. http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/  At $100 it's cheaper than the Playchoice board(~$250). Some people on NeoGaf were talking about buying some but I haven't seen anyone talking about results yet.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: technozombie on 12/17/2013, 11:47 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIXI'm sorry buddy I didn't mean to harp on your work.  I was hoping to have my DUO R Modded to component.  Right now is S-Video but my TV loves Component on these old machines.  Any chance on getting an NES to do component?  Like my top loader?
To RGB mod the Nes you had to purchase a playchoice board and put its PPU on the Nes. Someone is now making something to do the same thing. http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/  At $100 its cheaper than the Playchoice board(~$250). Some people on NeoGaf were talking about buying some but I haven't seen anyone talking about results yet.
Outstanding, it works in the Front Loader as well.  I'd love that even more.  I have to get this modded!
IMGIMGIMG

thesteve

Quote from: turbokon on 12/17/2013, 06:58 AM

Hey sensato glad you finally installed the boards. As for the dreamcast, may just need different resistors value at rgb input side to counter offset voltage. What values I don't know, thesteve will need to chime in.
i would need to look at the signals on the DC
the resistors are to lower the RGB to match what the PCE puts out

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: thesteve on 12/18/2013, 09:09 PM

I tried with 1K pots instead of the resistors and I can't seem to find anything that works. The screen is actually black and white most of the time (except for the Dreamcast boot screen which looks perfect). I plan to film everything to give a better idea of what's going on...

I could scope the Dreamcast's RGB signal but I wouldn't really know what to do with what I'll find.

ishiyakazuo

Quote from: Sensato Kuro on 12/18/2013, 09:25 PM
Quote from: thesteve on 12/18/2013, 09:09 PM

I tried with 1K pots instead of the resistors and I can't seem to find anything that works. The screen is actually black and white most of the time (except for the Dreamcast boot screen which looks perfect). I plan to film everything to give a better idea of what's going on...

I could scope the Dreamcast's RGB signal but I wouldn't really know what to do with what I'll find.
Could it be that you've got it in VGA mode and the game you're trying doesn't support it, so it's in some weird, confused 15K mode rather than staying in 31K mode?

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: ishiyakazuo on 12/19/2013, 07:34 AMCould it be that you've got it in VGA mode and the game you're trying doesn't support it, so it's in some weird, confused 15K mode rather than staying in 31K mode?
I should actually be in 15K RGB mode. I've grounded only one of the mode select pins. I'll have to check which one I grounded because I thought any of the two would give the same result.

I've tested the mod with different games and I get black and whites screens with all of them.

In order to avoid further pollution of this topic (which is supposed to be about selling the PCBs ;)), I've created a new topic in the TG/PCE repair/mod section...

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=15958.0

munchiaz

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i found locally a guy selling a Sony Trinitron PVM-20m2mdu for around $75. Now i have a friend who states that a trinitron, is a trinitron TV regardless if its PVM or just a basic CRT. He states the only difference is the PVM can output PAL/SECAM/NTSC and also has the BNC connectors. My friend also states that you can rewire the CRT for RGB?

I'm still new to all this stuff, so im not sure if shelling out $75 for one of these would be wise. Or would i be better off finding just a Sont Trinitron from goodwill for $1

thesteve

A PVM should be better hardware, but other then inputs/outputs the function the same
They can be modified, but its not a simple task 2

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

Sensato Kuro

Hi guys,

I ran into a little issue with the component board on one of my monitor. I got distortion on top of the screen for white screens, as shown in this video:

Duo Component Mod White Screen Issue

I thought it could be related to the sync so I wired pin 44 of the HU6260 IC to an LM1881. This solved the issue so I thought it could be useful to some of you.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Psycho Punch

Two questions:

1. International shipping?

2. Do you have le schematics for the US SNES? Pilotwings looks way too awful on composite. Ugh.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

turbokon

Add $5 for international shipping. There is one schematic here by technozombie somewhere in this thread. If not I can put one together.

www.tg16pcemods.com

NightWolve

Quote from: guest on 02/04/2014, 10:28 PMTwo questions:
2. Do you have le schematics for the US SNES? Pilotwings looks way too awful on composite. Ugh.
What kind of SNES is it ? If it's the traditional, early generation models, you have YPbPr almost ready-to-go. Just need a basic transistor amp.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14417.0

Psycho Punch

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/05/2014, 07:15 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 02/04/2014, 10:28 PMTwo questions:
What kind of SNES is it ? If it's the traditional, early generation models, you have YPbPr almost ready-to-go. Just need a basic transistor amp.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14417.0
I really don't know since the console still has the gamebit screws... it is one of the FAT ones and it have a 1991 copyright notice below it and it is model SNSM-001, with that stupid Playtronic PAL-N transcoding daughterboard. I'm going to see if I can find something to open it, hopefully it's one of the S-ENC chip equipped snes.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

turbokon

www.tg16pcemods.com

Bernie

Taking the dive on this.  :).   Got a nice CRT to hook it up to.

Bernie

Damn, the more I look at the pics and watch the videos... I cannot wait til you get my old system in and mod it with this.  It is getting me excited about the turbo again!

Keith Courage

Do Any CRT TVs work with this mod? The ones I have tried all have extremely faded colors and look horrible even with adjustments.

However, colors looks awesome on my plasma :)

Sensato Kuro

Quote from: Keith Courage on 02/10/2014, 07:47 PMDo Any CRT TVs work with this mod? The ones I have tried all have extremely faded colors and look horrible even with adjustments.

However, colors looks awesome on my plasma :)
The CRT I tried it on gives pretty good results actually. Also, my 2 LCDs show a green horizontal bar on top of the picture (in the overscan) with the mod, my CRT doesn't.

jelloslug

turbokon

Thanks jello:)

Added a picture of the board installed in an IFU and sensato's video comparing the composite and component video.

www.tg16pcemods.com