OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Megama...erm Mighty #9

Started by Nando, 09/03/2013, 09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

So I wonder what Capcom is thinking right about now

Check it out, K. Inafune going the kickstarter route and doing what capcom'nt or something like that ;)

IMG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9?ref=search

bob

Cool.  I pledged $10k.  I'll update this post with how dinner went.

Nando

Quote from: galam on 09/03/2013, 10:02 AMCool.  I pledged $10k.  I'll update this post with how dinner went.
Brilliant!!

I'd have a backpack or ten full of stuff for him to sign.

Mzo

That image is just concept art; they haven't begun to code anything yet.  They've already said that it'll be 2.5D, so the end result will use polys and not be hand-drawn sprites.

Still, the talent behind this project is ENORMOUS.  Inafking, TOM-PON, half of yuukichan's papa, the art guy behind the Legends series, Inti Creates... ridiculous.

The video 2PP but together for them is soooo good, too.  I'm not gonna lie, my eyes got a little misty hearing Inafune talk.  I pledged $250 within hours of the KS going up.  Mega Man was my second NES game and has always been one of my favorite game franchises in many of its incarnations.  This is really, really exciting for me.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

ParanoiaDragon

It's a little unsettling that this won't be an MM game, but a new series entirely, but who cares!  I hope it makes it to gaming platforms, maybe at least 3DS or Vita?
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 09/04/2013, 01:15 AMIt's a little unsettling that this won't be an MM game, but a new series entirely, but who cares!  I hope it makes it to gaming platforms, maybe at least 3DS or Vita?
Currently it's made enough to hit the pc,but it will take more to reach consoles etc.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Mzo

I don't think the portables are even in the stretch goals, but you never know!  It depends on how much money they make; they're open to suggestions so it could still happen.
My Backloggery

ParanoiaDragon

It did pass it's initial goal, & I believe they said other platforms are a possibility as the money keeps piling in, so, here's hoping!
IMG

Joe Redifer

Some of the donation tiers bother me. Like one that lets players help create a challenge. There's 50 slots for this. I don't want fans designing the game. Then there's 50 slots to have "your voice in the ending theme". Why would you ruin the music like that? And you get to say what you want. I don't care what you have to say!  OH! 50 slots for "your face in the game". 50! This totally impedes proper graphic design. The hell? 5 people get to help design an enemy. JUST LET THE CHARACTER DESIGNERS DO THEIR JOBS! I feel bad for the developers having to get assets from these people and find time to videoconference with them when they could instead just be making the damn game with their own assets and designs.

This crowd-funding stuff pisses me off. Their pledge levels definitely help get them money, but in my opinion they make the game much worse than it otherwise would have been without fans helping design the game and putting their faces and voices in it. I heard of some D&D-like thing where all of the characters ended up looking pretty similar... middle-aged white dudes with goatees because the makers had to make the characters look like the people who contributed. How lame is that?

TheClash603

I don't think they are going to max out every pledge tier, but you made a good point Joe.  50 of any of those thing will be absolutely obnoxious.

The game looks pretty cool.  I am going to benefit from the "free rider problem" and let all of you suckers pay for me.  For some reason I just cant get into the kickstarter mentality.

Nando

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/04/2013, 04:10 AMSome of the donation tiers bother me. Like one that lets players help create a challenge. There's 50 slots for this. I don't want fans designing the game. Then there's 50 slots to have "your voice in the ending theme". Why would you ruin the music like that? And you get to say what you want. I don't care what you have to say!  OH! 50 slots for "your face in the game". 50! This totally impedes proper graphic design. The hell? 5 people get to help design an enemy. JUST LET THE CHARACTER DESIGNERS DO THEIR JOBS! I feel bad for the developers having to get assets from these people and find time to videoconference with them when they could instead just be making the damn game with their own assets and designs.

This crowd-funding stuff pisses me off. Their pledge levels definitely help get them money, but in my opinion they make the game much worse than it otherwise would have been without fans helping design the game and putting their faces and voices in it. I heard of some D&D-like thing where all of the characters ended up looking pretty similar... middle-aged white dudes with goatees because the makers had to make the characters look like the people who contributed. How lame is that?
You make some excellent points. I was thinking that from a business / DLC point of view, some but not all these extra incentives kinda make sense. Maybe the fan voices are only on their version of the game, the character creation is a great way to get folk involved and caring, and it's not like Capcom didn't have similar ideas in the past. It will be interesting to see how this evolves. I'm totally for the kickstarter way as it really gets a niche community going and hopefully thriving.

I wonder what Capcom's suits are thinking.

sirhcman

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 10:38 AMI wonder what Capcom's suits are thinking.
We need to make another Mega Man game.

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 11:04 AM
Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 10:38 AMI wonder what Capcom's suits are thinking.
Did you see that shitty iOS attempt?

sirhcman

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 11:06 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 11:04 AM
Did you see that shitty iOS attempt?
No, I don't play cell phone platformers :)

Mzo

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/04/2013, 04:10 AMSome of the donation tiers bother me. Like one that lets players help create a challenge. There's 50 slots for this. I don't want fans designing the game. Then there's 50 slots to have "your voice in the ending theme". Why would you ruin the music like that? And you get to say what you want. I don't care what you have to say!  OH! 50 slots for "your face in the game". 50! This totally impedes proper graphic design. The hell? 5 people get to help design an enemy. JUST LET THE CHARACTER DESIGNERS DO THEIR JOBS! I feel bad for the developers having to get assets from these people and find time to videoconference with them when they could instead just be making the damn game with their own assets and designs.

I don't think it's going to be an issue for this game.  Many of these are described in the Kickstarter itself and they don't sound at all like what you're insinuating.

"Create a challenge" just means give us an idea for an achievement, much like the 100 achievements in Mega Man 9.  They said they would only consider challenges that are "within reason" and that there would be back and forth fleshing out of the concept between the team members and the backer.  So in the end it'll just be an achievement and it won't be anything the team thinks is irresponsible.

For the "your voice in the game" tier, this is what they say:  "With this reward, you'll be contacted via email with detailed instructions on what to record and send back to us, so we can work it into the mix of that final credit-roll song."  I can almost guarantee the voices will be part of a chorus chanting something.  Think the final song in Space Channel 5.

And for the "your face in the game" bit, this is what they have posted:  "Let's be clear about this one up front: there's a right way and a wrong way to implement this kind of reward. Our plan is to do it in such a way that you, the very generous backer who donates to this level, can take satisfaction in finding your mug (pixelized into a 2D representation by the game's artists) and showing it off to your friends and family, without disrupting the experience for anyone else. (For example, one idea is to have little electric-poster displays in the background that show "Wanted" reward posters which cycle through these backers' faces.)"  So, again, it doesn't sound like this will hinder the game's design in any way.

As far as general design goes, Inafking wants the fans to be involved in the project.  Don't forget Mega Man Legends 3 with it's open development and design community was his idea as well.  Backers will get to vote on one design or the other and have influence over the game, but not any type of total creative control.  Don't forget that Mega Man 2 through 8 incorporated fan designs both for enemies and for robot masters, and I love those games.  It might be an issue in some projects but I don't think it will be here.
My Backloggery

Joe Redifer

Sorry, but nothing you guys can say justify these things for me. You can't have a chanting chorus when everyone is saying their own idiotic phrase. It'll most likely take the form of "samples" and be walkie-talkie-ized or something. It'll be stupid no matter what. And I don't want to see 50 different wanted posters. I WILL see the faces. I WILL know why they're there. And it will be lame. Actually no it won't because I won't be getting this game.

Mzo

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/04/2013, 02:47 PMYou can't have a chanting chorus when everyone is saying their own idiotic phrase.
"With this reward, you'll be contacted via email with detailed instructions on what to record and send back to us, so we can work it into the mix of that final credit-roll song."

I doubt the final song includes 50 different walkie-talkie samples, but maybe!

Your mind sounds pretty closed on the subject so I won't try to argue further, but that's ok!  The project has already been funded and that's all that matters.
My Backloggery

Nando

I hope they hit the console port funding. I might chip in then.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the playmechanics and animation. That one screen shot is sweet, I hope they hit that mark at the very least.

Mzo

Quote from: Nando on 09/04/2013, 02:58 PMI hope they hit the console port funding. I might chip in then.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the playmechanics and animation. That one screen shot is sweet, I hope they hit that mark at the very least.
There are no screenshots of the game, only concept art.  The game itself will be 2.5D and will not be hand-drawn sprites.

On the latest update they mentioned that they've rejiggered the stretch goals so that console ports get more of a priority.  They've been seeing unreal demand for console ports, so it's very likely to happen.
My Backloggery

NecroPhile

I'm with Joe on the donate-to-be-in-the-game-watermelon-retard stuff: it's always possible that it'll be well integrated and seemless, but odds are it'll feel tacked on.  Equally lame is making you pay more for a fucking manual and selling a physical box and manual for a digital download game.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 03:22 PMEqually lame is making you pay more for a fucking manual and selling a physical box and manual for a digital download game.
At the very least they could add a USB stick with the game in it....

bob

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2013, 03:22 PM...Equally lame is making you pay more for a fucking manual and selling a physical box and manual for a digital download game.
But it ups the VGA grading of it when it's released.

Mzo

So this ended today.  Got funded up the ass and out the other side (ended up at over $4 mil) and it's coming to basically everything current that can play videogames.

Good times all around.  Now the wait begins =[
My Backloggery

Nando

Meanwhile at Capcom....Insert pictures below.

Psycho Punch

I just hope this devalues the Capcom's Smegmaman intellectual properties just to teach them a lesson :evil:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Ji-L87

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2013, 04:25 PMI just hope this devalues the Capcom's Smegmaman intellectual properties just to teach them a lesson :evil:
Yeah....this.

Can't make up my mind on the design for Beck...or the name, for that matter. But hopefully the game will be at least decent, and it won't look like just another Unreal-engine game. Their quick engine test video was....conflicting for me. It's cool they could build a decent looking engine test in such short time (which also shows how easy the unreal engine might be to work with, if you understand it) but it also looked precisely as I didn't want it to :D

Oh well, I already backed at that point so if it just comes out sometime around when it's scheduled I'll be a happy camper.
Hopefully the whole fan-input thing will work well and not ending up with the game stalled because us fans can't get along :P

Seriously though, the fan side of things have been pretty amazing with all the fan-stuff getting made. High quality stuff too!

As for Capcom....well....still mad about Legends 3. Maybe Mighty no. 9 can get a charming 3D adventure spin-off set in a distant future?
CHECKPOINT!
Quote from: esteban on 09/23/2012, 01:40 AMThere is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

Nando

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2013, 04:25 PMI just hope this devalues the Capcom's Smegmaman intellectual properties just to teach them a lesson :evil:
they did that themselves, did you see the iOS megaman "game" concept they were showing off a while back?

Mzo

Bumping this old ass thread because the beta was released to certain backers a few days ago.  Obviously it still needs some work, but it feels great to play!

Since information was so scarce, I made a few crappy videos about it.  The first one is just me figuring out the level, the second is a 100% chain and the last one is no damage, every point bonus, 100% chain.  I'm pretty much done until they release a new level.

Here's the playlist, in case anyone here was wondering about the game.

The last video is best if you just want to see the game and not hear me talk =]
My Backloggery

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Mzo on 09/07/2014, 01:29 AMBumping this old ass thread because the beta was released to certain backers a few days ago.  Obviously it still needs some work, but it feels great to play!

Since information was so scarce, I made a few crappy videos about it.  The first one is just me figuring out the level, the second is a 100% chain and the last one is no damage, every point bonus, 100% chain.  I'm pretty much done until they release a new level.

Here's the playlist, in case anyone here was wondering about the game.

The last video is best if you just want to see the game and not hear me talk =]
I am still waiting for my beta code......

Who here backed this kickstarter and what is your mighty no.?

Mine is 169 ......

Typically I don't like games that are digital download only but eh....I made an exception for this because of the fond memories I have with Mega Man even at best this is a spiritial successer.

ClodBusted

I can't stand the design of Mighty #9. The 3D visuals in a 2D gameplay world aren't appealing to me, as well as the sound and music. I'd rather take another true 2D Mega Man-like game with sprites and stuff like that.

100% agreed.

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/09/2014, 02:16 PMTypically I don't like games that are digital download only but eh....I made an exception for this because of the fond memories I have with Mega Man even at best this is a spiritial successer.
I wouldn't be surprised if they got around to releasing this physically at some point.
IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/09/2014, 05:17 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/09/2014, 02:16 PMTypically I don't like games that are digital download only but eh....I made an exception for this because of the fond memories I have with Mega Man even at best this is a spiritial successer.
I wouldn't be surprised if they got around to releasing this physically at some point.
and the part that kills me is I WILL re-buy this game if it is lol...

Here is hoping they release some of these great PSN/XBOX Arcade games on disk like Shovel Knight and such....

just like I did for The Walking Dead game and Ducktales.

Hell I have even imported a few Japan games only becuase they had their PSN game on a physical disk........

HailingTheThings

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/09/2014, 05:25 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/09/2014, 05:17 PM
and the part that kills me is I WILL re-buy this game if it is lol...

Here is hoping they release some of these great PSN/XBOX Arcade games on disk like Shovel Knight and such....

just like I did for The Walking Dead game and Ducktales.

Hell I have even imported a few Japan games only becuase they had their PSN game on a physical disk........
Hmm yes, very good, sir. :3
IMG

johnnymad

Can't wait for this to come out. I hope it gets a physical release too. Really enjoying all the behind the scenes development you get to see for being a backer.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: johnnymad on 09/13/2014, 12:32 AMCan't wait for this to come out. I hope it gets a physical release too. Really enjoying all the behind the scenes development you get to see for being a backer.
Have you gotten your beta access code?  I am still waiting on mine. Will probably send them an email monday.

Mzo

The beta is for backers at the $80 tier or higher.  Did you qualify for that?

And this might be a good place to remind people that starting with Mega Man 2, the robot masters were based off character design submissions from Japanese schoolchildren.  Those games turned out pretty damn well, IMO.

The kind of input that backers have so far have come in the form of surveys over small details, color schemes, etc.  Nothing major.  The men and women at Inti Creates know what they're doing.
My Backloggery

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Mzo on 09/13/2014, 01:19 PMThe beta is for backers at the $80 tier or higher.  Did you qualify for that?

And this might be a good place to remind people that starting with Mega Man 2, the robot masters were based off character design submissions from Japanese schoolchildren.  Those games turned out pretty damn well, IMO.

The kind of input that backers have so far have come in the form of surveys over small details, color schemes, etc.  Nothing major.  The men and women at Inti Creates know what they're doing.
Ohhhh yeah.  I did the tier for the hardbound book signed and. With the emoty game box. Lol

johnnymad

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/13/2014, 10:35 AM
Quote from: johnnymad on 09/13/2014, 12:32 AMCan't wait for this to come out. I hope it gets a physical release too. Really enjoying all the behind the scenes development you get to see for being a backer.
Have you gotten your beta access code?  I am still waiting on mine. Will probably send them an email monday.
I did the $60 tier, I think. Just wanted the box. :) Don't really care about early access of the game.