OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Surge cola is back for sale

Started by MrFulci, 09/15/2014, 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrFulci

http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/15/news/companies/coca-cola-surge-return/index.html?iid=HP_LN

It's back for sale, 12 packs are for sale on Amazon. $14 USD.

I was never a fan of carbonated sugar water, but I did have a few of them when they were around, including other 90's oddball things, such as Orbitz, Cystal Pepsi, etc.

Surge, that's the one I notice MANY people talk about a lot. Due to High caffeine and such. Preferable to Jolt cola, for some.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Opethian

all sold out hah

why don't they bring back Dr. Wham!
IMG

MrFulci

Quote from: Opethian on 09/15/2014, 03:06 PMall sold out hah

I just ran a search, I'm not familiar with Dr. Wham!, but it shows it is still manufactured and sold in a few places - http://www.buffalorock.com/dr-wham/

*edited to add;

Ah, interesting, saw there was an article on Wikipedia about Dr. Wham, and why it is only in a few places, "...Dr. Wham is sold in Buffalo Rock markets where the company does not have the territorial rights to sell Dr Pepper, including ..."
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Medic_wheat

Never heard of it. 

But if it was suppose to taste like or compete mountain dew blech. I hate that stuff and most likely wouldn't like this stuff.

BigusSchmuck

Here comes the countless teenagers claiming that Surge gets them high..

mitsuman

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/15/2014, 04:37 PMHere comes the countless teenagers claiming that Surge gets them high..
I heard if you huff the fumes as soon as you open a can, they can get you really high...man.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 09/15/2014, 04:37 PMHere comes the countless teenagers claiming that Surge gets them high..
Naw they will just mix them with skittles and other stuff just like Martin tray ahhhh something.  :-#

MrFulci

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 09/15/2014, 03:54 PMNever heard of it. 

But if it was suppose to taste like or compete mountain dew blech. I hate that stuff and most likely wouldn't like this stuff.
Never heard of it? At one point, in the late 90s, it seemed like it was everyplace.

The taste, from what I recall, was not the same as Mountain Dew. It was more tangy, citrusy.

I also now recall why some people I knew of back then would not drink Mountain Dew, which I think also carried over to Surge. Some teenage rumor that Yellow dye #5 made men sterile, hahahaha.

technozombie

When I was in highschool (around 97) some surge reps came to my school and handed out free bottles. Of course people kept sneeking back and getting more, than the one, they were supposed to. By the end of the day the whole school was bouncing off the walls. And yes, the yellow number 5 teenage rumor was rampant.

MrFulci

Quote from: technozombie on 09/15/2014, 06:19 PMWhen I was in highschool (around 97) some surge reps came to my school and handed out free bottles. Of course people kept sneeking back and getting more, than the one, they were supposed to. By the end of the day the whole school was bouncing off the walls. And yes, the yellow number 5 teenage rumor was rampant.
There was also some promo near where I was at that time, but I think it was at a supermarket. Maybe buy a 12 pack, get a 12 pack free? Maybe they were giving away 12 packs if you got a coupon from the Sunday paper? I forget.

The school thing sounds like something that would happen at that time. I recall when I stopped in a supermarket near a college campus 2 years ago, near the time when students were arriving for the semester. All sorts of free food stuff. I looked young enough, so I guess that's why it was offered to me. I took a free, full size, bag of Utz brand chips.

Interesting to read the yellow #5 thing was common. I knew of people, even if they were thirsty, would not drink Mountain Dew, Surge, or any cola with Yellow #5 in it. Even if you tried talking sense to the person, saying if it were true then..... blah blah blah, etc. Still, some people were 100% against Yellow # 5 in their cola. They heard, from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who had a brother whose friend became impotent/sterile, whatever due to Mountain Dew and Yellow #5.

cr8zykuban0

man, they need to bring back pepsi blue!!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: MrFulci on 09/15/2014, 07:52 PMThere was also some promo near where I was at that time, but I think it was at a supermarket. Maybe buy a 12 pack, get a 12 pack free? Maybe they were giving away 12 packs if you got a coupon from the Sunday paper? I forget.

The school thing sounds like something that would happen at that time. I recall when I stopped in a supermarket near a college campus 2 years ago, near the time when students were arriving for the semester. All sorts of free food stuff. I looked young enough, so I guess that's why it was offered to me. I took a free, full size, bag of Utz brand chips.

Interesting to read the yellow #5 thing was common. I knew of people, even if they were thirsty, would not drink Mountain Dew, Surge, or any cola with Yellow #5 in it. Even if you tried talking sense to the person, saying if it were true then..... blah blah blah, etc. Still, some people were 100% against Yellow # 5 in their cola. They heard, from so-and-so, who heard from so-and-so, who had a brother whose friend became impotent/sterile, whatever due to Mountain Dew and Yellow #5.
You do realize the word "Cola" isn't synonymous with Soda, Carbonated beverage or Pop but is in fact a particular type of Soda right? Mountain Dew and Surge are not Cola's.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Unless you're in Texas, where all soda is "coke".
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

technozombie

Southeast Texan here can confirm all carbonated drinks are coke. My grandmother though, called everything soda water.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2014, 09:51 AMUnless you're in Texas, where all soda is "coke".
My grandmother always called it "pop"  or "soda pop" 

That could have been more generational then a Texas thing.

MrFulci

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/16/2014, 06:52 AM
Quote from: MrFulci on 09/15/2014, 07:52 PMThere was also some promo near where I was at that time, but I think it was at a supermarket. Maybe buy a 12 pack, get a 12 pack free? Maybe they were giving away 12 packs if you got a coupon from the Sunday paper? I forget.

You do realize the word "Cola" isn't synonymous with Soda, Carbonated beverage or Pop but is in fact a particular type of Soda right? Mountain Dew and Surge are not Cola's.
I use whatever fits. I sometime say cola, I sometimes say soda. Cola, it may not be factually correct, but people understand. No on ever looks confused, "What's a cola????".

As others have mentioned above me, people call carbonated, flavored, sugar/corn syrup/whatever syrup water different stuff all over. the world, and all over the US, and even within states.

Different dialects and words for stuff all over. Such as why the, Dish "Hopper" commercial is so funny to some people in a certain part of the US, but others don't quite get it :)

Paddyfitz18

I remember this pop from around the mid-nineties,  called "Lockjaw."  It was around for very long at all.  Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.

SuperGrafx

Can't say I've ever heard of Surge before.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Paddyfitz18 on 09/16/2014, 09:16 PMProbably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.
Heh, what's wrong with Clamato?  It's a great portmanteau of clam and 'mato juice.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Paddyfitz18 on 09/16/2014, 09:16 PMI remember this pop from around the mid-nineties,  called "Lockjaw."  It was around for very long at all.  Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.
2nd worst name for a drink. But the worst possible nick name for a prom date.
--DragonmasterDan

MrFulci

Quote from: Paddyfitz18 on 09/16/2014, 09:16 PMI remember this pop from around the mid-nineties,  called "Lockjaw."  It was around for very long at all.  Probably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.
All that comes to mind when I hear, "Lock Jaw", were these sour gumballs that were similar to Atomic Warheads. I don't think they're around anymore, though.

Paddyfitz18

Quote from: guest on 09/17/2014, 09:45 AM
Quote from: Paddyfitz18 on 09/16/2014, 09:16 PMProbably the 2nd worst name for a drink ever, next to Clamato.
Heh, what's wrong with Clamato?  It's a great portmanteau of clam and 'mato juice.
&

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/17/2014, 10:04 AM
Yes, indeed.  :)

VenomMacbeth

I drink Dr. Wham every day for lunch at work. :D  Definitely the best Dr Pepper-like substance you can get.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

johnnymad

Quote from: guest on 09/16/2014, 09:51 AMUnless you're in Texas, where all soda is "coke".
We call everything coke as well. It's cool they're bringing this drink back though. I still have an unopened can from the 90s. Guess I should have had it VGAed as the value of a sealed drink will go down with the re-release.

MrFulci

I read, some people were looking for old Coke machines (using coke as a brand name, here), in abandoned schools, etc. and if they had surge, breaking into them, taking the surge, and selling them on ebay, since each can could fetch about $100.

Makes some sense. Find a dozen cans in an abandoned machine, $1200.00...

*Edited for Necro;

Beavis & Butthead / Deus - Suds & Soda

Suds and Soda!

johnnymad

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 09/17/2014, 11:40 AM

I drink Dr. Wham every day for lunch at work. :D  Definitely the best Dr Pepper-like substance you can get.
Me and a couple of my friends would try to keep track of all the Dr. Pepper knockoffs. There was Mr. Pibb, Dr. Check, Dr. Thunder and a few others I can't think of right now. Don't remember Dr. Wham being one around here.

MrFulci

Mr. Pibb, I saw it around the DC/MD/VA area. I'd usually see it at rest stops, though. Not so much the local convenience store.

Mishran

I'd like to see a return of Josta. The prelude to energy drinks.

bob

Anybody remember OK soda from the 90s?
I was a "tester" of that for a year before it came out.

Miracle_Warrior

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/17/2014, 10:04 AM
Speaking of terrible names/products, do you guys remember "Bloody Zit" frosters or slurpees?  I think it was Mac's that came out with this flavor and they had the most disgusting commercials I had ever seen.  The campaign died almost as quickly as it started and I have to believe that someone lost their job over it.

esteban

Does anyone remember a ridiculous TV show from UPN network called SHASTA McNASTY, which I thought was an excellent name for Musk flavored soda.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SuperGrafx

Quote from: esteban on 09/17/2014, 08:55 PMDoes anyone remember a ridiculous TV show from UPN network called SHASTA McNASTY,
I do!
Circa 1999, if I'm correct.

wildfruit

Fizzy drinks is the preferred term

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 09/17/2014, 08:55 PMDoes anyone remember a ridiculous TV show from UPN network called SHASTA McNASTY, which I thought was an excellent name for Musk flavored soda.
Does anyone remember a ridiculous .... anything involving the UPN network ?
--DragonmasterDan

o.pwuaioc

Wait, guys, Surge is back?

IMG

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/19/2014, 08:55 AM
Quote from: esteban on 09/17/2014, 08:55 PMDoes anyone remember a ridiculous TV show from UPN network called SHASTA McNASTY, which I thought was an excellent name for Musk flavored soda.
Does anyone remember a ridiculous .... anything involving the UPN network ?
Hahahahahahahahaha.

Seriously. My brother found an old VHS years ago and we watched an episode of SIRENS (sexy cop lady show!) and CATWALK (I bought the cassette soundtrack for CATWALK as a joke years ago...can't remember what music is actually on it, though) HOMEBOYS IN OUTER SPACE....holy Christ, I watched too many UPN shows. THUNDER IN PARADISE.

I think...I have problems. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of shows.

cr8zykuban0

never tried surge but will have to give it a go if I see it at the store.  really wish they would bring back pepsi blue

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 09/19/2014, 06:44 PMI think...I have problems. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of shows.
Problems would be remembering a lot of UPN shows. Not forgetting them.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/22/2014, 02:01 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/19/2014, 06:44 PMI think...I have problems. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of shows.
Problems would be remembering a lot of UPN shows. Not forgetting them.
Hahahahahahahahaha. You are absolutely correct.

:pcgs:

xcrement5x

Not UPN, but I remember watching a ton of USA High on (surprise) the USA network.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2014, 12:31 PMNot UPN, but I remember watching a ton of USA High on (surprise) the USA network.
USA Network was the "original UPN" as far as I am concerned.  :pcgs:

As a kid, I looked forward to many shows/movies on USA. YEAH, COMMERCIALS SUCKED, BUT WHO CARES, it had the stuff I wanted to watch.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 09/25/2014, 01:22 PMAs a kid, I looked forward to many shows/movies on USA. YEAH, COMMERCIALS SUCKED, BUT WHO CARES, it had the stuff I wanted to watch.
I was a fan of both USA Cartoon Express and USA Up All Night
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

Crystal Pepsi anyone?

You know what retro food I wish would make a comeback?

NESTLE ALPINE WHITE CANDY BARS

Gosh I used to love those things...  yeah I know there are other white chocolate bars nowadays but they never quite seem to taste the same...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/26/2014, 03:23 AMCrystal Pepsi anyone?

You know what retro food I wish would make a comeback?

NESTLE ALPINE WHITE CANDY BARS

Gosh I used to love those things...  yeah I know there are other white chocolate bars nowadays but they never quite seem to taste the same...
White chocolate ain't chocolate and can suck my left one.

Opethian

white chocolate toblerone is pretty boss
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Opethian on 09/26/2014, 10:25 AMwhite chocolate toblerone is pretty boss
It's only sold in Quebec, I believe. And it can suck my left one.  :pcgs:

BlueBMW

Seems like a lot of things can suck the left one...  what does it take to get in on the right one?
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

esteban

Quote from: BlueBMW on 09/26/2014, 12:36 PMSeems like a lot of things can suck the left one...  what does it take to get in on the right one?
A: Bittersweet Chocolate.

jordan_hillman

SURGE GOUGING!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00M2OGS08/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

And yes, I am signed up to be notified of when Amazon will re-stock my sweet, sweet delicious Surge. . .
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"