HI RES

Started by dallaspattern, 11/07/2014, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallaspattern

I just ugpraded my 90's tube tv to a 50" plasma and hooked the ol' Duo up to it. It's fuckin' bananas man! I almost prefer running it through the old set to soften up the edges of graphics, but for games like R-Type, Fantasy Zone and Devils Crush on a huge screen, it's a hell of a thing.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: dallaspattern on 11/07/2014, 12:27 PMI just ugpraded my 90's tube tv to a 50" plasma and hooked the ol' Duo up to it. It's fuckin' bananas man! I almost prefer running it through the old set to soften up the edges of graphics, but for games like R-Type, Fantasy Zone and Devils Crush on a huge screen, it's a hell of a thing.
Be lucky your plasma even accepts the resolution.

But yeah, it's worth a trip to the local thrift store to pick up a decent CRT if you want to play your old game consoles.
--DragonmasterDan

BlueBMW

Also, make sure you set the TV to 4:3 mode instead of widescreen when playing your old stuff.  The stretching only makes it worse hehe
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

GoldenWheels

I do most of my older gaming on a 20 inch Sony Wega CRT but every once in a while I run the games through my Epson projector which projects a 127 inch image, just for the hell of it (it's always hooked up, just a matter of what switch I hit). It's just great to see the games that BIG, even if they don't look wonderful.

And I agree the pinball and shooter games lend themselves to it pretty well!

glazball

Unless your TV upscales the image, it's not really "hi-res".  Get yourself a Framemeister for near-perfect upscaling.  Your plasma will be orgasmically happy and you can ditch that old CRT.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

turbokon

Upgrade to component video, the different is night and day.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Joe Redifer

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/07/2014, 01:07 PMAlso, make sure you set the TV to 4:3 mode instead of widescreen when playing your old stuff.  The stretching only makes it worse
Quoted for truth. And who wants circles to look like ovals? Oh look! It's the moon? But why is it in the shape of an egg?

technozombie

Most tvs Upscaling also leads to lag another reason people use CRTs or a framemeister.

dallaspattern

What's CRT/Framemeister? I've been living in the stone-age for the last 20 years :)

4:3, smart!

esteban

Quote from: dallaspattern on 11/08/2014, 02:01 AMWhat's CRT/Framemeister? I've been living in the stone-age for the last 20 years :)

Don't worry, you can still be in the stone age and learn a few new tricks:
CRT = cathode ray tube (your old TV*)

Framemeister (an upscaler...hardware...for using old consoles on modern HDTV) - before you get one of these, do your research. Ask folks here. I have yet to make the plunge myself because I am happy using an old TV.

*my old RCA TV. R.I.P.
IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ayce

My TG has never touched an HDTV. I prefer playing oldschool games on CRT... they just don't look right on an HDTV to me. I do however have my system hooked up through component video on the CRT.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Ayce on 11/08/2014, 09:42 AMMy TG has never touched an HDTV. I prefer playing oldschool games on CRT... they just don't look right on an HDTV to me. I do however have my system hooked up through component video on the CRT.
The problem isn't HDTVs. I have two CRT HDTVs. The problem is LCD,LED,DLP and plasmas which are not always HD and not all HDTVs are of those display types.
--DragonmasterDan

GoldenWheels

Quote from: BlueBMW on 11/07/2014, 01:07 PMAlso, make sure you set the TV to 4:3 mode instead of widescreen when playing your old stuff.  The stretching only makes it worse hehe
Or "native" if the set offers it! This way you don't have to switch it back and forth manually every time you go from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 11/08/2014, 10:34 AMOr "native" if the set offers it! This way you don't have to switch it back and forth manually every time you go from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa.
Not all TVs have a native setting. I've also seen odd things. One of my TVs has trouble with a PBS station that likes to broadcast 16:9 shows in 480. This causes that TV to squish the image using the auto-detect settings.
--DragonmasterDan

GoldenWheels

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/08/2014, 10:41 AM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 11/08/2014, 10:34 AMOr "native" if the set offers it! This way you don't have to switch it back and forth manually every time you go from 4:3 to 16:9 and vice versa.
Not all TVs have a native setting. I've also seen odd things. One of my TVs has trouble with a PBS station that likes to broadcast 16:9 shows in 480. This causes that TV to squish the image using the auto-detect settings.
Absolutely right Dan (which is why I said if it offers it).

My issue with Native is that if you then watch TV with said device, and flip between lots of SD and HD content, it's constantly changing resolution. Can be super annoying if your tv does the switch SLOWLY like one of mine does. I have to watch it flicker and flash for 5 seconds every time.

Ayce

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/08/2014, 10:31 AM
Quote from: Ayce on 11/08/2014, 09:42 AMMy TG has never touched an HDTV. I prefer playing oldschool games on CRT... they just don't look right on an HDTV to me. I do however have my system hooked up through component video on the CRT.
The problem isn't HDTVs. I have two CRT HDTVs. The problem is LCD,LED,DLP and plasmas which are not always HD and not all HDTVs are of those display types.
That's true. My brother had a nice CRT HDTV, but it recently took a dump. Finding a CRT HDTV these days are some pretty slim pickings.

Keith Courage

Just posted some info about HD CRT TVs in the s-video mod section.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13044.135

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Ayce on 11/08/2014, 11:28 PMThat's true. My brother had a nice CRT HDTV, but it recently took a dump. Finding a CRT HDTV these days are some pretty slim pickings.
I see them semi-frequently at thrifts. The size and weight of them is generally the reason people are letting go of these rather than whether or not they work. In the past week I've seen 2 16:9 Sony HD CRT TVs at Goodwills at 1.99 and .99 cents each. I'd also guess that each exceed 200 lbs.
--DragonmasterDan

dallaspattern

Quote from: esteban on 11/08/2014, 05:09 AM
Quote from: dallaspattern on 11/08/2014, 02:01 AMWhat's CRT/Framemeister? I've been living in the stone-age for the last 20 years :)

Don't worry, you can still be in the stone age and learn a few new tricks:
CRT = cathode ray tube (your old TV*)

Framemeister (an upscaler...hardware...for using old consoles on modern HDTV) - before you get one of these, do your research. Ask folks here. I have yet to make the plunge myself because I am happy using an old TV.

*my old RCA TV. R.I.P.
IMG
OMG, that's beautiful!

Ayce, agreed!

technozombie

I have a 30" Toshiba hdcrt but I don't really like it over my standard 27" Philips with component. The HDTV is wide screen and when switched to 4:3 you lose too much real estate. I bought the Philips for $5 at a garage sale and I love it.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: technozombie on 11/09/2014, 04:55 PMI have a 30" Toshiba hdcrt but I don't really like it over my standard 27" Philips with component. The HDTV is wide screen and when switched to 4:3 you lose too much real estate. I bought the Philips for $5 at a garage sale and I love it.
The positive if you have one (I also have a 30 inch Toshiba HD-CRT) is that if you want to play Ouya, Retr0n5 or whatever emulator mini-console for retro games you have HDMI and scanlines so your games look way better.
--DragonmasterDan

technozombie

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/09/2014, 05:58 PM
Quote from: technozombie on 11/09/2014, 04:55 PMI have a 30" Toshiba hdcrt but I don't really like it over my standard 27" Philips with component. The HDTV is wide screen and when switched to 4:3 you lose too much real estate. I bought the Philips for $5 at a garage sale and I love it.
The positive if you have one (I also have a 30 inch Toshiba HD-CRT) is that if you want to play Ouya, Retr0n5 or whatever emulator mini-console for retro games you have HDMI and scanlines so your games look way better.
I did recently get a retron 5 I guess I'll have to try it out on the Toshiba