1989 clip of Nickelodeon's show Total Panic previewing TG16

Started by handygrafx, 05/14/2007, 12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handygrafx

Nickelodeon's show Total Panic in 1989 previewsing TurboGrafx-16, Genesis, GameBoy, Lynx.

Hosted by Greg Lee &  Molly Scott.   

The man showing the systems & games is Andy Eddy,  then editor of Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine (RIP).

The picture keeps blanking out briefly, but still, this is precious footage of Total Panic, an 80s Nick show that among many other things,  previewed & reviewed videogames.   

Total Panic was a 3 HOUR variety show that aired on Sunday mornings
(IIRC for me it was 8:30am to 11:30am Central).

Total Panic was one of my all-time favorite Nickelodeon shows.  it lasted until around spring 1990, went to reruns that summer, then was never seen again.

first time I saw TurboGrafx R-Type in motion was on Total Panic  :mrgreen:

termis

Haha.  Those kids didn't look hugely impressed with the new machines.  Especially the one who was playing the TG-16.

- Um...  It's different.
- Are the graphics better than what you're used to?
- Um...  Yeah... better than some.

NecroPhile

I feel a little bit sorry for the little girl.  She really looks uncomfortable and like she doesn't want to be there.

- Um... Yeah it's great.  Now could you take your filthy hand off of my back?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

BonkThis

why did they make the slow retarded girl play the TG16, no wonder it never took off.

Seldane

The kids look disappointed, and they implied the Lynx would be better than the Game Boy. :P

Was that guy advertising the systems or just informing about them? "The price is just under 200 dollars"... :roll:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

This is jawesome, thanks a lot for the link!

"Yeah we've played that one! That was wild, wasn't it?" - chick referring to Altered Beast
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2007, 01:43 PMI feel a little bit sorry for the little girl.  She really looks uncomfortable and like she doesn't want to be there.

- Um... Yeah it's great.  Now could you take your filthy hand off of my back?
Haha, those kids look absolutely miserable there. That little girl playing the Turbo was so depressed, I almost broke in tears! I wonder if her grandma died just right before she entered the show?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

LOL yeah.  They picked the kids who were stuck sitting on the stairs rather than the ones who eagerly raised their hands.  The host-chick was dumber than a pile of rocks.  "Do the Genesis cartridges work on the older Sega system?"  If they did, they wouldn't need a newer Sega system you dumb whore!

Kitsunexus

I couldn't even watch the first couple of seconds without feeling my IQ plummet.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 08:42 PMLOL yeah.  They picked the kids who were stuck sitting on the stairs rather than the ones who eagerly raised their hands.
Haha yeah I thought it was funny how they just quickly chose the quiet girl sitting on the stairs. I also like how the female host was having a hard time inserting the Gameboy link cable.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Keranu on 05/14/2007, 11:09 PMI also like how the female host was having a hard time inserting the Gameboy link cable.
If you read that like I did, that's probably the funniest thing you'll read all night.

Keranu

Yeah I figured some people were going to think of my post in other ways :P  :dance: .
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: handygrafx on 05/14/2007, 12:35 PM
Nickelodeon's show Total Panic in 1989 previewsing TurboGrafx-16, Genesis, GameBoy, Lynx.

Hosted by Greg Lee &  Molly Scott.   

The man showing the systems & games is Andy Eddy,  then editor of Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine (RIP).

The picture keeps blanking out briefly, but still, this is precious footage of Total Panic, an 80s Nick show that among many other things,  previewed & reviewed videogames.   

Total Panic was a 3 HOUR variety show that aired on Sunday mornings
(IIRC for me it was 8:30am to 11:30am Central).

Total Panic was one of my all-time favorite Nickelodeon shows.  it lasted until around spring 1990, went to reruns that summer, then was never seen again.

first time I saw TurboGrafx R-Type in motion was on Total Panic  :mrgreen:
Damn and i thought gamepro own tv show was bad.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

BonkThis

was it me or did the host suggest you could play rampage on the lynx with 16 people? (isnt it a 3 player game sometimes 2?)

NecroPhile

Lynx Rampage is for up to 4 players.  That guy's a tool - "between 8 and 16 people can get together" and play on a ComLynx.  I guess that you're shit out o' luck if you only have 5 friends with Lynxes.  Did anybody know if any game used more than 8 players?

Kitsunexus

NecroPhile

I thought that Slime World topped out at 8 (as did T-Tris), but what do I know?  :-k

BonkThis

I think you should get a prize for knowing 16 people that even had a lynx. I knew 1.

Seldane

I've never even seen a Lynx in real life, and never ever heard anyone mention one outside of this forum.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

handygrafx

Quote from: Keranu on 05/14/2007, 11:09 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 08:42 PMLOL yeah.  They picked the kids who were stuck sitting on the stairs rather than the ones who eagerly raised their hands.
Haha yeah I thought it was funny how they just quickly chose the quiet girl sitting on the stairs. I also like how the female host was having a hard time inserting the Gameboy link cable.
I had a big crush on Molly Scott back in the day !

handygrafx

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2007, 10:34 AMLynx Rampage is for up to 4 players.  That guy's a tool - "between 8 and 16 people can get together" and play on a ComLynx.  I guess that you're shit out o' luck if you only have 5 friends with Lynxes.  Did anybody know if any game used more than 8 players?
well, that show aired before the Lynx came out I think -- things change - they probably went with the best info they had at the time. The same magazine also reported that NEO-GEO games would cost $125.

NecroPhile

True enough, but then the douche should have just said "up to 16 players".  Why state a lower limit?

BonkThis

maybe im a bit slow on this, but how the heck can 16 people play rampage?

NecroPhile

F  o  u  r    s  e  p  a  r  a  t  e    g  a  m  e  s    w  i  t  h    f  o  u  r    p  l  a  y  e  r  s    e  a  c  h  .    :lol:

Is that slow enough for you?  In other words, you could only have up to four players in Rampage.  The Lynx hardware was capable of having sixteen machines interconnected, but the game would have to be made to support it.  Officially it supported sixteen, but the hardware could allow for eighteen and even more is possible but not practicable due to bandwidth issues.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 08:42 PMLOL yeah.  They picked the kids who were stuck sitting on the stairs rather than the ones who eagerly raised their hands.  The host-chick was dumber than a pile of rocks.  "Do the Genesis cartridges work on the older Sega system?"  If they did, they wouldn't need a newer Sega system you dumb whore!
wuahahahaha! that was amazing :lol:

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2007, 10:34 AMLynx Rampage is for up to 4 players.  That guy's a tool - "between 8 and 16 people can get together" and play on a ComLynx.  I guess that you're shit out o' luck if you only have 5 friends with Lynxes.  Did anybody know if any game used more than 8 players?
The awesome part was when the host said that you could have a party with Atari Lynxes! (Speaking of which, that would make a good episode of Console Chronicles. Damn! It's ashame I didn't even have a Lynx, let alone 16 of them!)
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I have 4 or 5 Lynxs, I can't recall.  And I also have mulitple versions of a few games, though, I think I have only one comlynx.
IMG

kenomac78

baahnaahnaah maahn at the end as great! what is up with cartoons from england?

GUTS

I remeber seeing some British cartoon when I was really young where there was some big yellow thing that ripped its legs off or something.  Scarred me horribly for years.  I think it was the Beatles cartoon.

2X4

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/15/2007, 09:06 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 08:42 PMLOL yeah.  They picked the kids who were stuck sitting on the stairs rather than the ones who eagerly raised their hands.  The host-chick was dumber than a pile of rocks.  "Do the Genesis cartridges work on the older Sega system?"  If they did, they wouldn't need a newer Sega system you dumb whore!
wuahahahaha! that was amazing :lol:
YES exactly what I was thinking.  But now here's a question, can I play the Genesis games on my waffle iron?  Oh, ok, but I can still make waffles in the Genesis, ok.  I wish I could have reached through the screen and the fabric of time and given that cow an open-handed slap on the mouth.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

CrackTiger

Who makes a little girl play R-Type? Thats basically a punishment.

They might as well plop a toddler in front of a Ghosts 'N Goblins arcade and tell him to go nuts.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/16/2007, 09:06 PMWho makes a little girl play R-Type? Thats basically a punishment.

They might as well plop a toddler in front of a Ghosts 'N Goblins arcade and tell him to go nuts.
I know! They should have used China Warrior :) .
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

I like how each time the 'hosts' ask the 'expert' how the games for the new systems are different than games for current systems, he more or less says 'just better graphics and sound, but basically the same' (although they now have "100's of hours of gameplay!" :wink:).  :P

And both games being demoed were already on Sega Master System looking and playing more or less the same, only cruder.

If the marketers only wanted to push the aesthetic upgrade with 16-bit, that'd be a good way to do it, if they ran 8-bit titles side by side next to 16-bit versions.

But for a TV spot like that, where the games are only run on monitors and filmed from a distance, they should've used more original titles like Side Arms and Altered Beast. It'd still push the 'arcade-at-home' message, but would justify the purchase of new hardware to play titles that weren't already available at home.

Any kid who had a loser friend with a SMS would've thought that those games didn't look any different than what they played last weekend at his New Kids on the Block themed birthday party.

I also liked how they teased the kids in the audience by pretending like they were actually going to let one of them try the new video games, but instead 'chose' the previously handpicked kid who was already sitiing outside the audience at the edge of the stage.  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/20/2007, 11:38 AMAny kid who had a loser friend with a SMS would've thought that those games didn't look any different than what they played last weekend at his New Kids on the Block themed birthday party.
Screw New Kids, it's all about Color Me Badd.  8)
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Oh, you mean that group that consists of George Michael, Kenny G, Milli, & one other guy?
IMG

Keranu

IMG

Joe Redifer

Keranu

Especially the Paulie Shore-lookin one that the arrow on the cover is pointing to!
IMG

Joe Redifer

That's Kenny the G, you heathen!  He knows how to blow.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 05/20/2007, 11:38 AMI like how each time the 'hosts' ask the 'expert' how the games for the new systems are different than games for current systems, he more or less says 'just better graphics and sound, but basically the same' (although they now have "100's of hours of gameplay!" :wink:).  :P

And both games being demoed were already on Sega Master System looking and playing more or less the same, only cruder.

If the marketers only wanted to push the aesthetic upgrade with 16-bit, that'd be a good way to do it, if they ran 8-bit titles side by side next to 16-bit versions.

But for a TV spot like that, where the games are only run on monitors and filmed from a distance, they should've used more original titles like Side Arms and Altered Beast. It'd still push the 'arcade-at-home' message, but would justify the purchase of new hardware to play titles that weren't already available at home.

Any kid who had a loser friend with a SMS would've thought that those games didn't look any different than what they played last weekend at his New Kids on the Block themed birthday party.

I also liked how they teased the kids in the audience by pretending like they were actually going to let one of them try the new video games, but instead 'chose' the previously handpicked kid who was already sitiing outside the audience at the edge of the stage.  :P
I think they wanted to have recognizable franchises shown. Space Harrier and R-Type were very well known, even some parents might have recognized the names since they were established in the arcade and on consoles already. Of all the launch titles, I can see why NEC and Sega chose those games. No, I don't think they were the best choices (I wasn't joking when I suggested China Warrior -- at least it would have allowed for some goofy but instantaneous commentary like  "Everybody's HUUUUUUUUUUGE in this game!").

I loved how they discussed the topic of game maps and strategy guides! I have never been a big fan of them myself, but I thought it was kool that they dealt with the issue in a pretty fairm-handed manner.

Anyway, "thank you" to the person who started this thread because I loved watching this clip. I had never heard of / seen this Nickolodean show before. Good stuff.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Keranu on 05/20/2007, 09:19 PMIMG
Yeah, the arrow points to Kenny G, with Milli(of Milli Vanilli), George Michael, & I'm not sure who the guy on the right is.  It was supposed to be some kind of pop super group in the 90's, I think they had a couple of hits, but, faded out.  So, they're now back doing there solo projects.
IMG

handygrafx

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/20/2007, 11:25 PMAnyway, "thank you" to the person who started this thread because I loved watching this clip. I had never heard of / seen this Nickolodean show before. Good stuff.
you're most welcome.  I watched Total Panic almost religiously in late 89, through spring 1990. 
After the show was canceled/ended, I pretty much stopped watching Nickelodeon.

There are two other short clips of Total Panic clips on YouTube. they're somewhat chopped up because the tape had been used to record other crap.   The more worthwhile clip is of Forgotten Worlds on Genesis and TurboGrafx R-Type.  The narration by Greg Lee ( i think that's him)  is friggin' hilarious.

Keranu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 05/21/2007, 04:37 AM
Quote from: Keranu on 05/20/2007, 09:19 PMIMG
Yeah, the arrow points to Kenny G, with Milli(of Milli Vanilli), George Michael, & I'm not sure who the guy on the right is.  It was supposed to be some kind of pop super group in the 90's, I think they had a couple of hits, but, faded out.  So, they're now back doing there solo projects.
They had one of the best hits of all time - I WANNA SEX YOU UP!  :mrgreen:
IMG

esteban

Quote from: handygrafx on 05/21/2007, 04:39 PM
Quote from: stevek666 on 05/20/2007, 11:25 PMAnyway, "thank you" to the person who started this thread because I loved watching this clip. I had never heard of / seen this Nickolodean show before. Good stuff.
you're most welcome.  I watched Total Panic almost religiously in late 89, through spring 1990. 
After the show was canceled/ended, I pretty much stopped watching Nickelodeon.

There are two other short clips of Total Panic clips on YouTube. they're somewhat chopped up because the tape had been used to record other crap.   The more worthwhile clip is of Forgotten Worlds on Genesis and TurboGrafx R-Type.  The narration by Greg Lee ( i think that's him)  is friggin' hilarious.
Oh, that was awesome. The narration during Forgotten Worlds was, indeed, friggin' hilarious! But I'm upset -- I want to know how the kid reviewed R-Type for TG-16! Did he think it sucked? Or did he like it?

I want to know.