The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
IMG
Main Menu

PC-FX Anime Festival

Started by SamIAm, 03/22/2015, 02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIAm

IMG

Have you guys ever heard of the PC-FX Anime Festival? It took place in June 1996, and apparently like 24,000 people showed up to it over a two day period. A couple of ancient internet logs describe live music and cosplay, and priority given to members of the PC-FX fan club.

Remember that crazy Supergrafx Power Console prototype that ccovell posted as part of a prank? It turns out they auctioned off a real one at this show.

The September 1996 issue of PC Engine Fan magazine came with a CD, and on that CD is a 20 minute long "radio show" accompanied by still pictures, hosted in the beginning by the girl who voiced Rolfee. You can watch and listen to it here.
It starts with her reading flattering fan letters and promoting Rolfee CDs. She thanks everyone for sending lots of postcards, and invites them to write more. Then she starts an interview with Rolfee...literally talking to herself. She later reads "Rolfee's diary".

A voice actress from Fire Woman Matoigumi also comes on and talks about games and audio-dramas and stuff. Nothing too fascinating.

But then at about 21:00 minutes into the video, they talk about the PC-FX Anime Festival, with live video footage included. You can see a live performance from the Angelique voice cast. The Rolfee girl is there, too. An actress from the game Hatsukoi Monogatari sings a song karaoke style. Rolfee girl says that games are for sale, and attendees can see demos of games in development. There's even a "Princess Rolfee Corner" where you can buy pens and phone cards, and enter to win your very own t-shirt and custom Rolfee "Staff" sweater. You'll see lots of stuff up for raffle through the magazine, too.

By the way, did you know that there was also a PC-FX-centered anime-game radio show (as in actual broadcast radio)? It only ran for a few months in late 1996, but it seems it was tied in with these PC-FX magazine CD audio promotions. I'll see if I can find out any more about it, but it's pretty slim pickings out there.

esteban

It is interesting to hear how NEC was promoting PC-FX with different strategies that tied together.

If the IP extended beyond mere video games (to anime and/or manga, for example), the cross-promotion is exactly what we would expect to see.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

I thought the PC-FX pretty much *was* an anime festival.

Ba-dum-dum, crash.

Great info. I have a lot of nostalgia for that period.
IMG

shonenx

Wow ! Thats amazing marketing attempt. Thanks for posting all the info and the video link too i can't wait to check it out. excited to find out more.
You're Already Dead !!!

SignOfZeta

"Amazing" is not the word I would use. All of these tactics were really standard for game/anime promotion at the time. If play the game "Game Developer Story" you have most of these same things as options for promotion.

Here's a video I uploaded from the Puyo Puyo Tsu "tour" back in '94. (Extracted from Saturn version's omake section). It probably looked very similar to this:
(Although more well attended, I assume).
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/22/2015, 04:29 PM"Amazing" is not the word I would use. All of these tactics were really standard for game/anime promotion at the time. If play the game "Game Developer Story" you have most of these same things as options for promotion.

Here's a video I uploaded from the Puyo Puyo Tsu "tour" back in '94. (Extracted from Saturn version's omake section). It probably looked very similar to this:
I have seen this video before (possibly you were the one who tricked me into watching it before, too :) )

Anyway, I find it disturbing that by the end of the video I am trying to sing the chorus. I know the song is rather bland, but I want to sing along.

Also, the one vocalist is sweating profusely. I am so grateful his salty deluge was documented so tastefully.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shonenx

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/22/2015, 04:29 PM"Amazing" is not the word I would use. All of these tactics were really standard for game/anime promotion at the time. If play the game "Game Developer Story" you have most of these same things as options for promotion.

You right it was pretty standard, i always get excited and jealous to see the fanfare and events they held in Japan for gaming back in the day like the Hudson soft Famicom Tourneys and mobile gaming trailers. I just feel like i missed out being in the US back then.

My uncle was a bigshot at NEC (one of thousands probably) and when he would come back from japan i would occasionally get a Valis game or Populous w/ converter. it only stoked the flames.

Thanks for the video post I enjoyed watching it. I love old footage like that.
You're Already Dead !!!

NecroPhile

Neat stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 03/22/2015, 04:29 PM"Amazing" is not the word I would use. All of these tactics were really standard for game/anime promotion at the time.
What's amazing is that it's for the PC-FX, 18 months after launch / flop.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

IMG

NecroPhile

Ha!  It's funny that they were prominently promoting Rolfee when you had to wait more than a year before you'd get to buy her game.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Everyone with an FX knew the charactor. She was all over the magazines and those "Anime Freaks"  releases. She was the face of PC-FX, unfortunately.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "UNFORTUNATELY"

THEM

IS

FIGHTING

WORDS.

Battle Heat time.  lets go

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!