@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldane

Zelda Four F****** Swords Adventures. Single player. Used to play it with three friends and four GBAs but that sucked. Single player is more fun (multi player adventure game... doesn't work for me). :) AWESOME game! Get it today!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Seldane on 05/03/2007, 06:34 PMZelda Four F****** Swords Adventures. Single player. Used to play it with three friends and four GBAs but that sucked. Single player is more fun (multi player adventure game... doesn't work for me). :) AWESOME game! Get it today!
Play it with all your hands and feet. Post this on Youtube. Become a hero.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Seldane

It needs to be done. It will be done.

...By me.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Kitsunexus

SuperDeadite

Currently Playing:
PC-Engine: Sapphire, Devil's Crash
PS1: Gradius Gaiden
XBox360: The iDOLM@STER
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Digi.k

FF III which just hit UK shores this friday >.>

offsidewing

Right now I'm alternating time between Cosmic Fantasy 2 and NHL 2k7.

I'm thinking about blogging my current CF2 experience since it's been 12 years since I last played it.

Seldane

IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

I just got Snk Vs. Capcom Cardfighters DS.

Put in about an hour-  so far not as fun as the NGPC original.....
It has horrific translation, I almost feel like turning the damn thing off every time I win.  The screen says "congratulation"  I mean seriously!

Probably not a good sign.....
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 05/01/2007, 07:23 PMI'm pretty bummed out right now.

Made an unsuccessful and aggravating attempt at making a video to put on YouTube trying to finish off Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (Super Famicom) from stage 4 and up. Stages 4 and 6 are the brick walls because it's one of those shooter stages with high speed scrolling and tight spaces and boss battles just drag on and on and on.
So, have you made another attempt? I've always heard good things about this game, but I've never played it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GUTS

Macross is the absolute best shooter on SNES by miles, nothing else except maybe R-Type III even comes close.  That game rules.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: turbo_sage on 05/05/2007, 03:34 PMIt has horrific translation, I almost feel like turning the damn thing off every time I win.  The screen says "congratulation"  I mean seriously!

Probably not a good sign.....
I think it is a good sign as all good SNK games have awful translations!  The original Card Fighters had an awful translation as well, it was impossible to decipher any of the abilities of a card until you used them for the first time.

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/05/2007, 10:38 PM
Quote from: Ninja Spirit on 05/01/2007, 07:23 PMI'm pretty bummed out right now.

Made an unsuccessful and aggravating attempt at making a video to put on YouTube trying to finish off Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (Super Famicom) from stage 4 and up. Stages 4 and 6 are the brick walls because it's one of those shooter stages with high speed scrolling and tight spaces and boss battles just drag on and on and on.
So, have you made another attempt? I've always heard good things about this game, but I've never played it.
Not for real, but I used emulation as a training tool, using save states for the stages I've had the most trouble with, especially 4.

You should really pick this shooter up, got it for $50 from Carlson/16 bit. It's like R-Type, memorization is the key. This is also a total rip off of the Darius series, as it has that force field that can convert enemies to helpers.

It's a tough game cause it's practically easy to get caught off guard by enemies as they swoop in pretty damn fast from all angles. Again I also stress out that boss battles get kinda tiresome, the kind that after good long while of fighting, it makes you scream "DIE GODDAMMIT!!" at the TV screen and get a burst of relief just from watching it explode.

In fact here's someone else's vid of Macross Scrambled Valkyrie beaten in 60 seconds :p

Tatsujin

super mario land GB
contra arcade DS
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Joust - 2600
Combat -2600
Kaboom! - 2600

Summary: Excellent, fun, yay! I had never played my 2600 through speakers + subwoofer before... it sounded somewhat goofy, but I'll be doing it again in the future. Kaboom!

And on my phone:
Bonk's Return - Goddam! The ice level has a tricky jump! The controls on cell phones suck!
Might & Magic - Why do I continue to buy games for my phone? This is fun, though.
Scrabble Blast - I can't beat my top scores, so I am frustrated. I wish you were ranked by a formula that could include score + elapsed time, because then I could have some wiggle room. Shame on the developers for not implementing this feature.

Joe Redifer

Been playing SVC Chaos for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES system.  This 16-bit game is great, but the last boss is really cheap.  There is also some other cheap dude who keeps throwing tornadoes at you again and again.  That's all he does!  It is obviously an SNK character since Capcom characters are better and more balanced (and have more than 1 or 2 moves).

I also beat Fatal Fury 2 for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES.  It pretty much sucks.  The dual-layer thing is retarded.  I couldn't even figure out how to switch layers, or even why I'd want to in the first place.  The graphics are pretty bad in a lot of places.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 12:34 AMBeen playing SVC Chaos for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES system.  This 16-bit game is great, but the last boss is really cheap.  There is also some other cheap dude who keeps throwing tornadoes at you again and again.  That's all he does!  It is obviously an SNK character since Capcom characters are better and more balanced (and have more than 1 or 2 moves).

I also beat Fatal Fury 2 for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES.  It pretty much sucks.  The dual-layer thing is retarded.  I couldn't even figure out how to switch layers, or even why I'd want to in the first place.  The graphics are pretty bad in a lot of places.
1. You don't have to advertise that the Neo is 16-bit, because we all know that (although see number 2). Saying it over and over just makes you sound pretentious.

2. It's not even true that it's a 16-bit system. It's not a 24-bit system. The proper way to refer to it is to say "The Neo·Geo is a system with a 16-bit processor and an 8-bit processor".

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/14/2007, 09:48 AM1. You don't have to advertise that the Neo is 16-bit, because we all know that (although see number 2). Saying it over and over just makes you sound pretentious.
Why are you even saying this?  I know there is a heat wave across most of the country and it is hard to keep cool, but in this situation I just grab me a lemonade!  8)

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/14/2007, 09:48 AM2. It's not even true that it's a 16-bit system. It's not a 24-bit system. The proper way to refer to it is to say "The Neo·Geo is a system with a 16-bit processor and an 8-bit processor".
By the time you say that whole line to someone they will have fallen asleep though.  :shock:

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 12:34 AMBeen playing SVC Chaos for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES system.  This 16-bit game is great, but the last boss is really cheap.  There is also some other cheap dude who keeps throwing tornadoes at you again and again.  That's all he does!  It is obviously an SNK character since Capcom characters are better and more balanced (and have more than 1 or 2 moves).
My opinion of SVC Chaos is that is sucks complete donkey dick.  I love the artwork and back-and-forth between characters before a battle, but my god, the game is almost as unbalanced as MvC 2.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 12:34 AMI also beat Fatal Fury 2 for my 16-bit Neo Geo AES.  It pretty much sucks.  The dual-layer thing is retarded.  I couldn't even figure out how to switch layers, or even why I'd want to in the first place.  The graphics are pretty bad in a lot of places.
That's s shame, Fatal Fury 2 (and Special which is just an improved remix of 2) is a very solid game if you can get past the graphics.  Really nice game balance and everything.  Of all the early SNK fighters it has stood the test of time the best.

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/14/2007, 12:11 AMKaboom! - 2600
I really want to play Kaboom! again but every set of Atari 2600 paddles that I have ever owned have broken the instant I have looked at them.  Kaboom! is a truly awesome game, maybe even Activision's finest during an era where they made nothing but good games.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/14/2007, 09:48 AM2. It's not even true that it's a 16-bit system. It's not a 24-bit system. The proper way to refer to it is to say "The Neo·Geo is a system with a 16-bit processor and an 8-bit processor".
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! The proper way to refer to it is simply "Neo·Geo".  If they don't understand, then that's when the beat down begins.  Be sure to toss in a few "100 Mega Shocks" and "Giga Powers" while you're explaining the Neo·Geo with your fists.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

offsidewing

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Xiphas on 05/14/2007, 03:11 PMI really want to play Kaboom! again but every set of Atari 2600 paddles that I have ever owned have broken the instant I have looked at them.  Kaboom! is a truly awesome game, maybe even Activision's finest during an era where they made nothing but good games.
The Atari 800 version is the PWNAGE.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestWrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! The proper way to refer to it is simply "Neo·Geo".  If they don't understand, then that's when the beat down begins.  Be sure to toss in a few "100 Mega Shocks" and "Giga Powers" while you're explaining the Neo·Geo with your fists.
I agree.  I was shocked by 100 Megas in Fatal Fury 2.  Didn't shock me quite as much as the 8 megas that were in the Genesis STrider, though.  Seriously, that two-layered thing pisses me off.  And it seems Fatal Fury's special moves are all backwards from Capcom games... on purpose!  SvC Chaos definitely has better control than Fatal Fury 2.  Hell the PC Engine ACD version has better control than the 16-bit Neo Geo version.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 06:47 PMSvC Chaos definitely has better control than Fatal Fury 2.  Hell the PC Engine ACD version has better control than the 16-bit Neo Geo version.
SvC probably has better controls, the earlier Neo fighters tend to be crusty mustard.  But if you compare the original Fatal Fury with Fatal Fury 2, you'll notice a marked improvement!

PCEngineHell

Weird,I never have any issues on FF2,even when it was released and I was in my early teens. Really don't have issues with Fatal Fury 1 either.

TR0N

PCE
Steam Hearts
Star Parodia

GB/BC player
Drill Dozer

Wii/VC
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

PS2
Raiden III

It's been a while since i played my duo-r  :oops:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

BonkThis

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/14/2007, 06:25 PM
Quote from: Xiphas on 05/14/2007, 03:11 PMI really want to play Kaboom! again but every set of Atari 2600 paddles that I have ever owned have broken the instant I have looked at them.  Kaboom! is a truly awesome game, maybe even Activision's finest during an era where they made nothing but good games.
The Atari 800 version is the PWNAGE.
How does this rank against the 5200 version? I thought the 5200 trumped the 2600.

How about "Blue Print" for the 5200

Seldane

DS
Lunar Knights
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime

Lunar Knights keeps getting better. Really fun game, but the story sucks shit. Typical japanese crap. Makes me feel ashamed for playing it, the dialogue is so embarrassing.

Rocket Slime seems pretty fun. Again, crap story, but the gameplay's interesting, and so is the music (lots of weird voice samples in it).
IMG

SuperDeadite

Lastest shopping spree got me:

PCE
Alien Crush
Magical Chase
Sylphia

They're all really fine games I must say. Oddly enough Alien Crush was the hardest to find, I dug for about 2 hours just to find a complete copy of this 480yen game.

PS1:
70's Robot Anime Geppy-X - Now here is one awesome game. Clunky but decent 2D shooter with 4 discs of animation.  Even fake toy and shampoo commercials are included here.   :D   Just search for geppy x on youtube, theres a lot of vids of it.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

termis

Blood Gear.

I actually really, really like this one.  The only thing I heard about was that it was somewhat like Exile, and I agree, but I'll say it's a much better game.  Though the overhead exploration part isn't much more than formality and just advancing the story/buying upgrades (much like Exile), The action sequences are much more engaging.  The parts & weapons you buy really make a difference in the game as well. 

I'm genuinely enjoying the game so far.  I'll write up a short mini-review once I'm done with the game.

Joe Redifer

Today (so far) I have played Batman Returns on my Sega CD.  Hint:  Go into the options and select DRIVING ONLY!  The platform portion of this game is beyond pathetic.  The scaling is better than what the Neo Geo could pull off, though.  And it is still a bit too hard.  Actually it is damn hard.

runinruder

Blood Gear DESTROYS Exile.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GUTS

Haha yeah Exile isn't even in the same league as Blood Gear.  Blood Gear is easily the best action RPG on the Turbo, man I loved that game.

Keranu

Blood Gear is a better game, but Exile has it's own special charm.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

nat

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/14/2007, 06:47 PMHell the PC Engine ACD version has better control than the 16-bit Neo Geo version.
Fatal Fury 2/Special with their 16-bit graphics on the Turbo kick ass. I actually like the dual-layering: you can jump to one layer, then fly through the air to your opponent who's on the opposite layer and kick the living shit out of them. I've never played the Neo Geo version but I can't imagine it's much different.

Quote from: Keranu on 05/19/2007, 03:56 AMBlood Gear is a better game, but Exile has it's own special charm.
I wonder why I've never heard of Blood Gear before this very moment. A quick glance at the PC Engine Catalog tells me I need to find a copy.

...I recently picked up a copy of Batman for our favorite console.

I actually really like this game. You know, I put off buying this for years and years because of mediocre reviews. I think most of those were based on the fact people were expecting a sidescroller.... and got Pac-Man Reincarnate instead. I'm kind of sorry I judged the book by it's cover for so long and neglected poor Batman. The music is great, graphics are really nice and the game is actually fun. The only tweak I would make is to chop a few stages from each level. 12 is really pushing it, 8-10 would've been understandable.

Why didn't Batman see a US release? Batman seems like so much more of an American franchise than a Japanese one to me. I'd say this one is a good candidate for a future USA Virtual Console title.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

esteban

Joe, I like Batman Returns on SegaCD. I think it is definitely one of the stronger titles (that's not saying much, but still).

Then again, I always liked the Bayou Billy gameplay formula (yes, I liked Bayou Billy, even though some beat-em-up segments were tedious). If only Batman Returns had a light gun stage or three! Then I'd be in heaven. No, I'm not joking. But Batman Returns... I like it.

Quote from: nat on 05/19/2007, 04:13 AMI'd say this one is a good candidate for a future USA Virtual Console title.
I agree, although Hudson should release it before the other Batman games (i.e. NES, Genny) are available.

Unfortunately, I worry that Hudson won't want to pay for the licensing fees that are bound to be associated with this title.

Also, I too have avoided this game and have only recently been swayed by folks who posted rave reviews here on these boards. The funny thing is that first folks were praising the music in the game... and then the discussion broadened to the game itself.

nat

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/19/2007, 11:22 AMUnfortunately, I worry that Hudson won't want to pay for the licensing fees that are bound to be associated with this title.
Absolutely, I didn't think about the licensing fees involved. Maybe not, then.

Seldane

PC
Oblivion: Shivering Isles
Flat Out 2
Shadow Man (classic game, play it NOW)

Fun stuff. PC gaming rocks!
IMG

akamichi

DS
Gyakuten Saiban 4

MD
Outrun
Turbo Outrun

PCE
Private Eye Dol
Ninja Spirit

Wii/VC
Super Paper Mario
Ninja Gaiden

PS2
Odin Sphere (beautiful game, I'm hoping there's more kinds of attacks later in the game)

TR0N

Quote from: akamichi on 05/19/2007, 10:35 PMPS2
Odin Sphere (beautiful game, I'm hoping there's more kinds of attacks later in the game)
I thought that wasn't out untile the 22nd!?
IMG

nat

I beat PCE Castlevania (Rondo of Blood) today for the first time...

Dracula is a chump, plain and simple. Beat him on the second try. He's got to be the second-easiest boss in the game! I had been hung up on "Death" after the Clock Tower level for so long. I didn't play the game for months then popped it in last night. Beat Death, but I started falling asleep. This morning I took care of Dracula and that was that.

I only got 80-some percent though, and I beat all the possible levels. There must be someone I didn't rescue.

And you know, the whole thing was inspired by the recent poll here.

Joe Redifer

I'm glad I could help you beat Dracula X.  I will PM you my Paypal account for you to donate generously to.

akamichi

Quote from: Tron on 05/19/2007, 11:13 PM
Jpn version.   Came out on the 17th.  :)

TR0N

Quote from: akamichi on 05/20/2007, 08:13 AM
Quote from: Tron on 05/19/2007, 11:13 PM
Jpn version.   Came out on the 17th.  :)
Ahh ok  :oops: I'm getting the U.S version wich comes out on the 22nd.
IMG

TR0N

PS2
Odin Sphere
Taito Legends 2

Yes both of these games are finally out in the U.S  :mrgreen:

Afther giving, Odin Sphere some play time the 2d animation is very beautiful.

Also the way the game plays does remind me of princess crown.

Oh and playing these two as well still.

PCE
Steamhearts
Star Parodia
IMG

Seldane

Dawn of Mana - PS2

Got it this morning. I have only played it for a while, but it seems really nice. Finally a Mana game that isn't shit! It's nice to play PS2 again, but the low resolution of console gaming is really painful to look at.
IMG

thewestexit

Tantei Jinguuji Saburo: Yume no Owari Ni for the Sega Saturn.

The 6th and one of my favorite Jinguuji games (although I haven't played any of the PS2 ones yet), I played this one years ago but never finished, so I started it over again.  The music is amazing in this game, must find the OST someday...
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

offsidewing

Ys Book I&II.  I'm currently leveling like a mofo in Burnland.

JoshTurboTrollX

What game is this?  It looks like a cool fighter!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

guyjin

I belive it's called "algunos" ( アルガノス )

Here's some info from play asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-8n-49-jp-70-15ve.html

Seldane

Still playing Dawn of Mana.

THIS GAME ROCKS!!

Aside from the horrible camera and the poor controls (it feels JUST like Kingdom Hearts, they probably borrowed that engine, really sad - it could've been fantastic if they just fixed those two flaws), this game is TONS of fun, and actually challenging! Well, the standard gameplay isn't THAT hard (although it isn't that easy either) but the bosses are a PAIN! It takes forever to beat them - IF you manage to do it, that is!

Story-wise... well, its the typical japanese crap story, it couldn't possibly get any more uninteresting than this, but the graphics are really pleasant and the music is great. I think this is the first game that's made me turn up the volume a lot when playing.

Great game!

Edit: Okay, I said "the standard gameplay isn't THAT hard" earlier. I WAS WRONG!! The game's REALLY hard later on! :shock:
IMG