WTB: Every released US game

Started by OldRover, 05/17/2007, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Since we all know it's impossible to have a complete PCE collection, I've decided to go with a complete US collection instead.

I currently have:

Keith Courage In Alpha Zones
The Legendary Axe II
Exile
The Addamns Family
Ys Book I & II
It Came From The Desert
The normal 3-in-1 disc

I should have soon:

Victory Run
Blazing Lazers
China Warrior
Super Vollyball
Takin' It To the Hoop
Dragon's Curse

Looking to buy:

Everything else.

I want 'em all, but I'm starting cheap as I don't have a lot of cash right now. If anyone has anything cheap they want to get rid of, I'm all ears. I'll work on the pricy stuff later. :) In particular, I'd really like to snag a copy of Neutopia.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Seldane

Wow, what's up with the sudden ambition? :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

OldRover

Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

SignOfZeta

I have a loose Darkwing Duck I've been trying to off for ages. There is no case because it didn't come with one. The manual was lost...probably because there was no case to keep it in :).

It might be "impossible" to have a complete JP collection, but you could probably get more than half of them for what a complete US collection would cost. I mean, you could have Bonk 3 (Hu), or you could have Sapphire. Might and Magic III, or Dracula X. Dynastic Hero, or the JP version of Dynastic Hero with Star Parodia thrown in for free.

I guess I'm a real praty pooper for practicality. I actually play my games, and rather than pay quad price for super shit covers, I'd chose to have an all PC Engine collection.
IMG

OldRover

I actually play my games too. :D That's why I'm not super-concerned with cases, manuals, etc. Of course, when it comes to CDs, a case is preferable, but for cards, loose is fine. There's only one PCE game I want, which is the Jap version of Legendary Axe II. I might snag a few others here and there but that's the only one I actually want.

runinruder

I'm just curious: Why not buy good Turbo games and good PC Engine games instead of going for a complete collection of either?  Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to preach practicality and I understand that there's a certain undefinable element of joy that accompanies collection building, but this approach of buying all the US games and just a few PCE games seems like a bad idea to me for a couple of reasons.

For one thing, the price difference between the US and JP versions of certain games is especially absurd when you consider the types of games we're talking about.  I mean, if you're looking for stuff like Might & Magic III or Cosmic Fantasy 2, then yeah, it makes sense to shell out some extra cash for the US versions.  But why spend four times as much on the US versions of Cotton or Terraforming?  Why not buy the JP versions (and have enough money left over for three other good games) instead of the overpriced US ones? 

For another thing, there are so many great PCE CD games that they really are essential to making the most of one's "Turbo/PCE experience," and many of them aren't even expensive anymore.  Why not ignore both the US AND the JP versions of mediocre Terraforming and buy Spriggan instead, since it's ten times better?  Heck, you can buy an amazing epic like Kabuki Den for the same price as Takin' it to the Hoop these days.  I know which one I'd go with.

Again, I understand the appeal of collecting, and I know that it's sometimes the most impractical things that bring us the most enjoyment.  But this particular idea doesn't seem to lend to having the most fun possible with your system and making the best use of your cash.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldRover

nat

Quote from: OldRover on 05/18/2007, 07:19 AMThere's only one PCE game I want, which is the Jap version of Legendary Axe II.
Why?

Don't you already have the US version? I don't believe the Japanese version is any different.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

MrFulci

The US collection can be something to go for, however know what you're getting into prior to making the plunge (A lot of that ruinruder covered).

There are quite a bit of pricey TG-16 titles that are pretty much the same on the PCE.

Still, acquiring about half the US collection could be pretty easy. A lot of loose and incomplete TG-16 chips don't sell for much. It all depends on what games you want, and how complete you would like them to be

Buy what you like, and take it from there, though try not to limit all your $$$ to just TG-16 US stuff. Prices on PCE imports aren't as pricey as they were in the 90's!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Seldane

How many Hu/CD games were released in North America?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

MrFulci

"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

Keranu

Runin made good points, but I've sort been on the same quest as you nod. However as runin said, I'm not going to waste my money on some super expensive American games like Terraforming, Super Air Zonk, Bonk 3, etc... when I can get the Japanese versions for like 10x+ cheaper. I also collect a lot of Japanese games too with similar rules applied.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

kid_rondeau

Quote from: MrFulci on 05/18/2007, 12:39 PM138
Is that counting Implode and Meteor Blaster DX? Even as third party games I feel they should be lumped together with the US releases...
Also, is that counting games that came out both on CD and Chip? Bonk III and Jack Nickulaus Turbo Golf come to mind.

Yeah, because I swear I heard the latest count for US releases was 141, and those four could explain the discrepancy.

MrFulci

138 is the number of original releases.

IMplode and Meteor Blaster will bring it up to 140

Yes, that includes both Chip and CD versions of those 2 games.

Not sure what I am missing. I could be off my one.

Could be you are counting the two different Y's Book 1 and 2 releases (Pack-in with Duo and the Cardboard Box retail version)

2X4

Um, I don't understand why so many people are hell-bent on playing only Japanese versions.  It's like the wiggers of video games.  Not everyone can read Kanji!  And some of us would rather play the game without a 12 page translation to read at every juncture in an rpg.  Call me crazy, but I'm not ashamed of not being Japanese, and I would rather have the U.S. versions that I can actually understand.  Even if it's just menu options, I'd still rather see it in english.  If I have to store my TurboChips in a case with a lackluster cover art, so be it.  I don't like anime, so 99% of the Japanese cover art doesn't appeal to me either.  To me, wanting a U.S. collection makes more sense than wanting a Japanese one, unless you are in fact, Japanese.  Don't get me wrong, I dig Japanese stuff with the aforementioned exception, I just don't see the point of turning a video game into homework when it isn't necessary.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

GUTS

^^ see runin's post for answers to all your questions, he already covered all that.

offsidewing

Collecting all the US releases is pretty cool, except the $1500 you'll have to spend jsut to get Bonk 3, Bonk 3, Might and Magic, Terraforming, Dungeon Explorer 2, Die nasty hero, Beyond Shagohod, Exile WP, and Magical Bank One, er Chase.  I've been with the Turbo since 1990, so to me there is sentimental value in the entire US collection. 

However, today, I'm all about diving into the Japanese Jems I missed to appreciate the platform in all it's glory.  I've got Drac X and Ys 4 from back in the day.  Hopefully I'll get my mits on spriggan soon, I've got a contra-ban version of Sapphire headed my way, and FEoE 3 is on my book shelf.  I hear Neo Metal Fantasy is a good time, and I've kinda fallen in love with an old high school sweet heart in L-Dis.  I'd like to give Puyo Puyo a try along with Panic Bomber.  I'm sure the peeps that post can throw another 20 gems past me and I'd want to try them all.  I don't mind a translated walkthrough if it helps me experience a quality game for a beloved system.  Reading really isn't a challenge for me.  I've never played M&M3 for the Turbo and would love to toss it in my ghetto Duo R: OSW SP ED.  *cough* CD-R *cough* from forum member *cough*  have trades  *cough*

Anyways, I think the quest for the US releases is a noble one, but remember the 80/20 rule.  80% of the cost is going to come from 20% of the game library.  The single and only reason I don't do it myself, even with half of the high dollah titles sitting on the shizzle.  Oh, then tack on 3 bills for a US Duo.

Keranu

Quote from: 2X4 on 05/18/2007, 08:27 PMUm, I don't understand why so many people are hell-bent on playing only Japanese versions.  It's like the wiggers of video games.  Not everyone can read Kanji!  And some of us would rather play the game without a 12 page translation to read at every juncture in an rpg.  Call me crazy, but I'm not ashamed of not being Japanese, and I would rather have the U.S. versions that I can actually understand.  Even if it's just menu options, I'd still rather see it in english.  If I have to store my TurboChips in a case with a lackluster cover art, so be it.  I don't like anime, so 99% of the Japanese cover art doesn't appeal to me either.  To me, wanting a U.S. collection makes more sense than wanting a Japanese one, unless you are in fact, Japanese.  Don't get me wrong, I dig Japanese stuff with the aforementioned exception, I just don't see the point of turning a video game into homework when it isn't necessary. 
Agreed completely.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

OldRover

2X4 laid it down completely. That's exactly how I feel.

So...anyone selling anything? I didn't exactly intend on starting a debate over "PCE vs TG", I'm simply looking to buy games.

runinruder

Who exactly is 2X4 talking about?  I haven't seen a single person on this board who's "hell-bent on playing only Japanese versions."  Not even close.  Here are some of my earlier points/questions:

Quote from: runinruder on 05/18/2007, 08:44 AMI'm just curious: Why not buy good Turbo games and good PC Engine games instead of going for a complete collection of either? 
Quote from: runinruder on 05/18/2007, 08:44 AMI mean, if you're looking for stuff like Might & Magic III or Cosmic Fantasy 2, then yeah, it makes sense to shell out some extra cash for the US versions. 

cho_aniki

I have a Neutopia I can sell.  It has instructions and case, however the case has a crack and scratches on the front ( where the instructions go).  I
    don't need it anymore as I have a second copy, if you need one in better condition I am sure someone on this forum must have one, as the first
    Neutopia is fairly common.  If you can't find a better one however I will gladly sell it to you.

Keranu

Quote from: runinruder on 05/18/2007, 11:56 PMWho exactly is 2X4 talking about?  I haven't seen a single person on this board who's "hell-bent on playing only Japanese versions."  Not even close.
I think he's referring to some people (sunteam_paul comes to mind) who prefer buying the Japanese versions for their covers, though those people also probably buy them because they don't have American hardware.
IMG

GUTS

Jesus, no shit runin.  Do people even fucking read the posts in topics anymore before replying?  You laid out EXACTLY when collecting japanese versions of games makes perfect sense.  Am I the only one who actually read your post?  Fucking A.

OldRover

cho_aniki, name your price. I pretty much just want the card anyways, so if it works, it's fine.

GUTS: FUCK! :dance:

You know...it's not to say that I don't want any PCE games, there's just one that I really want. But I really do want a complete US collection. My reasons are my reasons and it doesn't matter what anyone says, I will not be dissuaded. And furthermore, I do have a region-modded system...my CDROMs run with the ACD Pro.

2X4

Whoa, take it easy guys.  I wasn't directing this at runin, in fact I kind of agree there, sometimes the japanese version may be the better (or the only option).  I just don't exactly understand why people go so far with the Japanese is better philosophy that they go out of their way to only own japanese hardware and games and anime and manga and whatever else when if you didn't grow up in Japan and can't even read this stuff without a translation . . . anyway,  I just think some people are - fuck it.  Just understand I wasn't directing this at runin's post, and I'm trying to insult anyone, just that sometimes I don't get it.  And by the way smartass, I don't find reading to be a challenge, I just think it is kind of lame to have to hit pause and look at a translation if it ain't necessary.  :wink:

kid_rondeau

This seems like an appropriate time to remind everyone that we need to be civil in our discussions...it's so easy to feel buffered by the internet and you forget that you're talking to a real person and that person has feelings too.

And besides: we all wound up here for the same reason - a sincere love for the PC Engine/Turbo systems. Let's just focus on that.

-Mr. Van Driesen

GUTS

I'd love to have a complete US collection too, but that's a hell of a lot of money.  Plus I don't know if you guys go through this too, but when I get it my mind to collect something (like every Right Stuff game like I was doing for a while), you don't even play the games anymore, the collecting part becomes all the enjoyment.  I've actually had more fun with my games in the last year since I've shaved 3/4 off my collection than I have in ages.  I don't even collect anymore, I made it a rule to only buy stuff that I will play, and if it sucks I sell it immediately so I don't get stuck with any duds and a huge collection again.

OldRover

I'm both a collector and a player. Granted I'll only play the games I like, but who knows...maybe my daughter might like some of the other games when she's old enough. :D

Keranu

I tend to still play what I collect too, but collecting isn't all about playing. For me, I love having a case and instruction manuel with a game as it's a lot of fun for me to admire the artwork and read everything written on it. American Turbo games are especially fun to collect because the back of the manuels always ask "Have you tried these other Turbo Chip/CD games..." and I enjoy seeing which games I have off those lists and how many games in which I have all the games listed :D .
IMG

Seldane

"Collecting" is the nerdiest word in the universe.
IMG

cho_aniki

Sorry nodtveidt, I hadn't noticed your post.  I am really not sure how much a complete Neutopia sells for, so I don't really know what to ask for it.  If you are still interested, you can make me an offer you think is fair.  I will only charge actual cost for shipping.   

Regards, Cho_aniki

SignOfZeta

Quote from: 2X4Um, I don't understand why so many people are hell-bent on playing only Japanese versions.
Well, its like this. To me, unless a game has a load of text, then the US version is always going to be the one that sucks, and costs more money. I wonder how many JP games some people have even tried to play. Do you realize that games like Street Fighter or Bonk, or just about any shooter a) basically have no text anyway, and b) often have loads of English in them even when there is text? There are almost no shooters with the Japanese language in them for example (on the PC Engine, or any other system for that matter), and are you so slow you need instructions for Gunhead or Ordyne in the first place? To me manuals aren't something I read, I just like them for the pretty pictures...which are more often in full color in PCE games, rather than the cheap-ass b/w US manuals.

Obviously for a non-Japanese speaking American the US version of Y's 1&2 is going to be the best. That's why I have a US version. However if the game is in English anway, then I'd almost always rather have a JP version because only the asthetically retarded (or marketing people) prefer the "brown and manly" US cover art that usually looks like a 5th grader created it. I'm a pretty big fan of manga from around the same period as PC Engine games, but even if I wasn't...man, hard core otaku revolt me as much as the next guy, but I just don't see how people's hatred for ota scum can manifest itself so deeply that they actually prefer the badly drawn shit cover art (which often is so poorly conceived that it doesn't even represent the game itself) to such an extent that they would actually prefer to pay double, tripple, or more to have it. I hate to tell you this, but all these games and systems were made in Japan. Well, Night Creatures and Darkwing Duck were western in origin (and total crap), but for the most part you are already fell for a chunk of Japanese trash culture when you bought a TG-16, you just needed the crappy cover art, or the huge ugly TG-16 case to lure you in, evidently. Hell, many times the only difference in the data on a HuCard is the copyright info at the bottom of the title screen.

Same goes for the systems. The TG-16 is an evolutionary dead-end. If you buy one you are either locked into a library of releases that is a pathetic sliver of the overall NEC picture, or you buy an over priced piece of shit converter, or you pay for/perform some kind of modification, and in the end most of the time people end up with a pile of NEC stuff that is %90 Japanese because...that's the majority of what is out there. Playing through a Japanese RPG is a struggle, but the alternative is...not playing the game at all because if it isn't Y's 1-3, Neutopia, Dragon Slayer, or Cosmic Fantasy 2 (which, btw, really sucks compared to later installments, the US version in particular) then you can be as sure as shit that there is no US version.

The TG16, and its library, is just a fucked up, aborted offshoot from the PC Engine. No Arcade Card, no six button pad, no Tennokoe Bank, no Spriggen, no Star Parodia, no Dracula X, no Street Fighter, no Tengai Makyou, no Bomberman '94, no Puyp Puyo, no Advanced VG...nothing. The TG-16 sucks.
IMG

GUTS

What the fuck does "aesthetically retarded" even mean?  I know you're trying to insult everyone who has preferred American art at one point or another by insinuating their faculties for appretiating aesthetics are retarded, but if you're going to call other people retards at least don't use phrases only a retard would come up with.

2X4

Well, you must be one of those freaks I was referring to.  I usually try to remain civil in these discussions, but if you're gonna throw all the pleasantries out the window then so be it.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMthe US version is always going to be the one that sucks, and costs more money.
Well, why does it suck?  Are you saying that the U.S. version is always drastically changed as far as important content is concerned?

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMHell, many times the only difference in the data on a HuCard is the copyright info at the bottom of the title screen.
Hmm.  I guess not.  I am a moron for spending more money on U.S. titles though, you're right about that.  I would much rather spend the extra cash on postage so my game can travel the world more than I can.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMare you so slow you need instructions for Gunhead or Ordyne in the first place?  To me manuals aren't something I read, I just like them for the pretty pictures...which are more often in full color in PCE games, rather than the cheap-ass b/w US manuals.
As a matter of fact, no, I'm not so slow as to need instructions (though undoubtedly far less gifted than you),  but I need instructions in Kanji even less.  As I have said, pretty manga doesn't appeal to me, I don't have enough fruit on my underpants to fully appreciate that, but to each his own.  So far the only reasons you have given me for buying Japanese games is to spend less money (which in the long run seems negligable at best) and so my cover art will match my Yu-Gi-Oh! bed sheets.  Oh yeah, plus the color on the inner pages of the manuals which only imbeciles need.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMonly the asthetically retarded (or marketing people) prefer the "brown and manly" US cover art that usually looks like a 5th grader created it.
Honestly I have never purchased a game so I could stare in awe and wonderment at the cover art.  It's odd though, that you attack the artistic capacity of 5th graders when the brightly colored, pretty manga that you cherish looks itself to be targeted at small children.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMI hate to tell you this, but all these games and systems were made in Japan.
I can't thank you enough, for years I labored under the dillusion that these games were created by 'ol Uncle Sam in his super secret lab with Rocky Balboa, G.I. Joe and Ronald Reagan using an American made computer that ran on freedom!  Talk about cognitive dissonance!  I've been living a lie!

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMfor the most part you are already fell for a chunk of Japanese trash culture when you bought a TG-16, you just needed the crappy cover art, or the huge ugly TG-16 case to lure you in, evidently.
Yup, hook line and sinker!  Or could it be that Sears was a little more accessable than any of the stores in Japan when I grew up in the central U.S.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMThe TG16, and its library, is just a fucked up, aborted offshoot from the PC Engine. No Arcade Card, no six button pad, no Tennokoe Bank, no Spriggen, no Star Parodia, no Dracula X, no Street Fighter, no Tengai Makyou, no Bomberman '94, no Puyp Puyo, no Advanced VG...nothing.
I will be the first to admit some of the best games never got translated, and I do play those.
The CD games are not region coded, so the majority of the good japanese games will play on my Abomination FAS Bastard Engine (or TurboGrafx) just fine.  In some cases mods would be necessary, but most of those are easy enough if I wanted to do them, even for someone like me who is too stupid and lazy to decipher Kanji just because someone already translated it.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMThe TG-16 sucks.
I love it.

Keranu

I really think people underestimate the amount of good games the TG16 got over here in the USofA. Basically we got all of the best HuCards and plenty of good ones. We did miss out on a lot of great CD games, but we still got some great ones like Ys 1 - 3, Gate of Thunder, Lords of Thunder, Cosmic Fantasy 2, and Dragon slayer, along with decent titles like Exile, Valis 3, Loom, etc... not to mention the great USA only title Beyond Shadowgate. Could've had a much nicer CD line up, but for what we got, it's far from suckage I think.
IMG

Hobo Xiphas

I would just like to say that 2x4 is an All American and I support his opinion 100% as America is the best country in the world so it is totally worth the extra money to get a US version.  8)

Keranu

IMG

offsidewing

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PM
Quote from: 2X4Um, I don't understand why so many people are hell-bent on playing only Japanese versions.
Well, its like this. To me, unless a game has a load of text, then the US version is always going to be the one that sucks, and costs more money. I wonder how many JP games some people have even tried to play. Do you realize that games like Street Fighter or Bonk, or just about any shooter a) basically have no text anyway, and b) often have loads of English in them even when there is text? There are almost no shooters with the Japanese language in them for example (on the PC Engine, or any other system for that matter), and are you so slow you need instructions for Gunhead or Ordyne in the first place? To me manuals aren't something I read, I just like them for the pretty pictures...which are more often in full color in PCE games, rather than the cheap-ass b/w US manuals.

Obviously for a non-Japanese speaking American the US version of Y's 1&2 is going to be the best. That's why I have a US version. However if the game is in English anway, then I'd almost always rather have a JP version because only the asthetically retarded (or marketing people) prefer the "brown and manly" US cover art that usually looks like a 5th grader created it. I'm a pretty big fan of manga from around the same period as PC Engine games, but even if I wasn't...man, hard core otaku revolt me as much as the next guy, but I just don't see how people's hatred for ota scum can manifest itself so deeply that they actually prefer the badly drawn shit cover art (which often is so poorly conceived that it doesn't even represent the game itself) to such an extent that they would actually prefer to pay double, tripple, or more to have it. I hate to tell you this, but all these games and systems were made in Japan. Well, Night Creatures and Darkwing Duck were western in origin (and total crap), but for the most part you are already fell for a chunk of Japanese trash culture when you bought a TG-16, you just needed the crappy cover art, or the huge ugly TG-16 case to lure you in, evidently. Hell, many times the only difference in the data on a HuCard is the copyright info at the bottom of the title screen.

Same goes for the systems. The TG-16 is an evolutionary dead-end. If you buy one you are either locked into a library of releases that is a pathetic sliver of the overall NEC picture, or you buy an over priced piece of shit converter, or you pay for/perform some kind of modification, and in the end most of the time people end up with a pile of NEC stuff that is %90 Japanese because...that's the majority of what is out there. Playing through a Japanese RPG is a struggle, but the alternative is...not playing the game at all because if it isn't Y's 1-3, Neutopia, Dragon Slayer, or Cosmic Fantasy 2 (which, btw, really sucks compared to later installments, the US version in particular) then you can be as sure as shit that there is no US version.

The TG16, and its library, is just a fucked up, aborted offshoot from the PC Engine. No Arcade Card, no six button pad, no Tennokoe Bank, no Spriggen, no Star Parodia, no Dracula X, no Street Fighter, no Tengai Makyou, no Bomberman '94, no Puyp Puyo, no Advanced VG...nothing. The TG-16 sucks.
Wow.  The stereotypes never change.  I guess Turbo Grafx v. PC Engine circa 1993 is 20/20 in hindsight.  Looking back, the Japanese covers look better. However in 1991 NEC chose not to use Japanese covers in the US because only a small percentage of guys living in their mother's basements would really appreciate the art work(and still to this day).  I probably wouldn't have wanted to associate Blazing Lazers with the folks at an Otacon either.  

The marketing folks at NEC/TTI at the time were clearly not as highly evolved as you.  Obviously the cash-flow constraints, business environment, and marketing strategies would all have been different with "Zeta" at the helm.  Christ, if only you were there I could have been playing Altered Beast on at TG-16!  (Welcome to your DOOM!)  I'm glad to see the superior artwork in Manga/Anime has come a long way in the US the last 15 years.  Instead of $80 bootlegs in SLP on VHS, there's 4 hours a night on Cartoon Network!  TOONAMI!!  Are they still showing 3 hours of Dragon Ball a night??  Woo-hoo.  The last time I looked for Venus Wars on DVD at Best Buy, I did notice the Anime shelf had grown from 3 shelves to 4 in the last two years.  They must have had to make more room for the Sailor Moon box sets and the butchered Samurai X discs.  

If you're going to start calling people retards (personally, if I was as aimlessly fired up about this as you, I would have used the word 'plebian') because they prefer a localized version of an otherwise unknown art form from a distant society, then perhaps you're the one missing a couple sets of chromosomes.  Doing it ex-post-facto (or after the fact) could be viewed as ignorant rather than superior.

Next there will probably be a forum fight over who's the bigger Anime fan.  "Oh yeah, well I had a master copy of Nausicaa in 1985 BEFORE anybody else show it on HBO in 1986."  "Oh yeah, I liked Golgo 13 before it came out on the NES!"

I hope latter installments of any game should be better than their predecessor because it would be pretty pointless to put out the successionary titles otherwise.  Look at the PSX version of Deep Blue!

No one is going to debate that the Japamation artwork on the PCE games is better.  Looking back it is, I mean shit, the The Japanese cover art of Dragon Slayer just puts the US version to shame.  Just be a little more tolerant of those who prefer the cover art we learned to love 15 years ago.  We can't all disect the world in the hyper-intelligent manner in which you do, so just be a little more receptive to us with an affinity for all things Turbo, Fan-boy.

OldRover

Quote from: cho_aniki on 05/23/2007, 02:01 PMSorry nodtveidt, I hadn't noticed your post.  I am really not sure how much a complete Neutopia sells for, so I don't really know what to ask for it.  If you are still interested, you can make me an offer you think is fair.  I will only charge actual cost for shipping.   

Regards, Cho_aniki
Yeah, it seemed to have gotten buried in the forum war. :D I also don't know its value but I know it's not worth a whole lot. I see some jokers trying to sell it for $50 on ebay, but it seems to usually go for less that a third of that. Neutopia II is currently going for $100, but I think I'll pass on that one for now. Anyways, I'll send you a PM.

offsidewing

Quote from: OldRover on 05/24/2007, 12:47 AM
Quote from: cho_aniki on 05/23/2007, 02:01 PMSorry nodtveidt, I hadn't noticed your post.  I am really not sure how much a complete Neutopia sells for, so I don't really know what to ask for it.  If you are still interested, you can make me an offer you think is fair.  I will only charge actual cost for shipping.   

Regards, Cho_aniki
Yeah, it seemed to have gotten buried in the forum war. :D I also don't know its value but I know it's not worth a whole lot. I see some jokers trying to sell it for $50 on ebay, but it seems to usually go for less that a third of that. Neutopia II is currently going for $100, but I think I'll pass on that one for now. Anyways, I'll send you a PM.
I don't think I've ever played Neup Deux.  How much different is it than the first iteration??

I just picked up Cadash and Parasol Stars, so my Working Designs collection (included Dungeon Explorer 2) is complete.

OldRover

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/24/2007, 12:53 AMI don't think I've ever played Neup Deux.  How much different is it than the first iteration??
One immediate thing you'll notice is the art style was drastically changed from the first. The original lacked style cohesiveness, but the sequel has a definitive style to it that stays with it from beginning to end.

There are quite a few technical differences between the two games. The most obvious one right away is N2 utilizes 8-way movement and animation for the player character. When you get the fire staff, you'll notice a glaring coding flaw...when you hit an enemy with it, they will fall back in the direction you are facing, unlike in the original where they would fall back in the opposite direction they were facing. This means you can no longer shoot-and-retreat, because the enemy will come flying back at you if you're running away from it. The sound engine is improved, the music sounds better and the sound effects are a bit clearer. Also, the game isn't arranged into "spheres" like the original, it's more of a land mass type of setup. Quite a bit longer gameplay too. A few other technical details include items...the Rainbow Drop allows you to enter spaces even if there's nothing on the other side (unlike in the original where it would only activate if you could completely cross it), giving you new attack strategies...the Medicine Of Vitality doesn't freeze the action (meaning you can take free hits while recharging your life!)...the Boom Bombs take longer to explode (don't know why they decided to do this, they're now almost useless for attacking)...the Bell Of Heaven no longer opens all doors regardless of room state (in the original, you could open doors even with enemies in the room...no longer can you do that). Another stupid but for some reason irritating flaw is when you get a treasure box...the chime goes off as soon as the text is finished, rather than when the player character holds up the item. Just a small unprofessional flaw but gives the impression that the game didn't spend as long in production as it should have. One thing I miss from the original is hitting trees with the fire staff...they would burn up, but they don't do this in the sequel, though I understand why from a coding perspective.

All in all, it's solid but suffers from a couple of bad flaws. If you can overlook that (an expert player will use the staff flaw to their advantage), you'll like it if you liked the original. Also note that these flaws exist in the Japanese version as well, so it's not like it was a localization screwup.

MrFulci

Dredging up the Zeta stuff from a few posts up....

Zeta, you appear to have quite a dislike for the TG-16

I bought the TG-16 not due to artwork on the boxes. I bought it because of certain games (Bloody Wolf and Splatterhouse in particular). I had a thing for the system, i recallt he commercials, the in-store demos, magazine pics/reviews, and playing it at a friend's. I had a good first impression with the system, which led me to purchase the system when the opportunity presented itself.

Some stuff I import, though I don't do it because the US version is crap, if I own a PCE game chances are the reason I own it is because it's not available in the US. Sometimes I do it for the surprise factor, go into the game clueless.

Similar to DVD's. I import stuff I can't find in the US, or has better quality picture/uncut/etc outside the US.

Instructions.... I need them sometimes. Some games are pretty easy to figure out, other times I need to know how many buttons are required in the game, and special moves. This is especially true of fighters. I need to flip through the book to see what buttons are used, what combos are available, etc. I had to do that with Flash Hiders, to get an idea as to whether it was 2, 4, or 6 button attacks. Cyborg Justice I recently had to flip through the manual to get an idea for combos, how to rip off other robots body parts, fun stuff like that. I enjoy thorough instruction manuals.

The TG-16 is a nice system, though it's library is limited, is a different size than the PCE, and has different sized controller ports. Other than that, it's the same stuff, and I work with the system as best I can.

runinruder

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMNo Arcade Card, no six button pad, no Tennokoe Bank, no Spriggen, no Star Parodia, no Dracula X, no Street Fighter, no Tengai Makyou, no Bomberman '94, no Puyp Puyo, no Advanced VG...nothing. The TG-16 sucks.
Haha, no Advanced V.G.  Yeah, I know a lot of players in the US who lost sleep over that one, wondering what might've been had the Turbo featured more mediocre games about waitress fighting tournaments.

offsidewing

Quote from: OldRover on 05/24/2007, 01:13 AM
Quote from: offsidewing on 05/24/2007, 12:53 AMI don't think I've ever played Neup Deux.  How much different is it than the first iteration??
(an expert player will use the staff flaw to their advantage),
Thanks for the insight. 

Hmmm, a fire staff/sword two hit combo.  Nice!

Yeah.  As soon as I see it for less than $50 I'll pick it up.

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMWell, its like this.....rant rant rant rant.....TG-16 sucks.
Wow.  Did a TG-16 beat you up when you were a kid?  Such burning hate for a machine with only trivial differences from its Japanese counterpart.  The increased size was the product of additional required shielding and misguided marketing, neither of which affect game play.  There were US releases of most of the best HuCards, and CDs were region free anyway (as 2x4 noted).  Boo-hoo, no Arcade Card for the US.  Big f'n deal.  It's not like it was supported with a plethora of quality, original games anyway (excepting Kabuki Itouryodan and Sapphire - which is as expensive as any US release).  I don't understand why the 'artwork' should even be considered.  If I'm looking for art, I'll buy art.  Otherwise, the game is the most important part, and the manual is just the icing on the cake.  The higher cost of some US releases is not that big of deal to me either, nor is the high price of many Japanese releases.  I don't drive a four cylinder shit box Hyundai, 'cause I can afford better.  Does that make me retarded?

Now that my ranting is over, thanks for the post SignOfZeta.  The boards need a good fork jab every once in a while.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

offsidewing

Quote from: guest on 05/24/2007, 11:29 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/23/2007, 07:20 PMWell, its like this.....rant rant rant rant.....TG-16 sucks.
I don't drive a four cylinder shit box Hyundai, 'cause I can afford better.  Does that make me retarded?

Now that my ranting is over, thanks for the post SignOfZeta.  The boards need a good fork jab every once in a while.
Like JFK said that faithful November morning, I need another PCE/Turbo debate like I need a hole in my head.

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 05/24/2007, 11:29 AMI don't understand why the 'artwork' should even be considered.  If I'm looking for art, I'll buy art.
I guess some people are really going to hate the cover art for Mysterious Song...it's so...simple. :D

termis

Quote from: OldRover on 05/24/2007, 10:30 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/24/2007, 11:29 AMI don't understand why the 'artwork' should even be considered.  If I'm looking for art, I'll buy art.
I guess some people are really going to hate the cover art for Mysterious Song...it's so...simple. :D
They can buy the Japanese version  :dance:

VestCunt

It is easy to make a good argument that the TG16 "sucks" but I think it's irrelevant.  I didn't buy a TurboGrafx in 92 because it was the best system out there, and I sure as hell didn't buy it for Keith Courage.  I bought a TG because it was an alternative to the Mario/Sonic/Final Fantasy stupidity that the rest of the country was obsessed with.  I wanted to play weird games I knew nothing about and my friends didn't own.  I missed the days of 1988 when there were only 3 Funco stores in the whole county and people didn't spoil RPG endings or practice for days until they could beat me at Mario Kart.

Yes, there were plenty of awesome games and accessories that never made it to the US, but imports weren't easy to come by back then.  Living in 2007, PCE software isn't bad way to go and is definitely cheaper, but it's matter of personal taste.  I've grown used to the campy US artwork (with the exception of Takin It To The Hoop).  It's what I grew up with and I'm more comfortable playing my games in English.

The TurboGrafx was never graced with Street Fighter 2 or Castlevania, but remember that none of us ever got MK2 or Doom.  If it was our priority to collect as many good games as possible, there is plenty to keep us busy on the current systems as well as the SNES and Genesis.  Those games are easier to acquire and cheaper than PCE software.  If I thought the TurboGrafx sucked, I wouldn't move on to the PCE!  I'd abandon both systems and find something that could offer me 4-player racing games and first-person shooters.

I would argue the reason greybeards like us play these lame, ol' consoles is because we love strange shit like Motoroader and Kabuki Itouryodan.  In this respect, the TG and PCE both provide plenty of options.  Finally, Castlevania is compatible with whatever region your deck is and distinguishing between systems is stupid.

So, to summarize:  anime sucks, English rules and "everything else is just gibberish".
 =P~
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/24/2007, 11:09 PMSo, to summarize:  anime sucks, English rules and "everything else is just gibberish".
 =P~
Right on my American brother!
IMG